Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar skid steer 289D crank no start.

juancplazav ยท 2025-10-21 08:15

Good morning, im working on Caterpillar 289D SN: TAW07060. That has issues to start. So far I check signal to solenoid starter good once I switched to start position. It has good Diesel supply to Diesel pump. The symptoms are: it cranks, engine spin fine but not even start. On wire (white) that send signal to starter as soon key switch to start shows signal and then cut-off that signal ( less a seconds). I hooked my Cat ET and doesn't show any active codes. But it has logged diagnostic codes: 636-8 and 723-2. Appreciate any help to work with, also I have Cat SIS Offline that could help me.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-10-22 04:20

    What is the back story behind how you got to work on this machine.? What symptoms did it have before it got to the crank no start situation.?

  2. #2juancplazav2025-10-22 05:43

    Before this call out i ear Owner had to change battery's power cable due terminal broke, also they replace electric Diesel supply pump due short in that pump keeps blowing fuse and they been dealing with Start and stops issues before. That was history from the owner.

  3. #3Nige2025-10-22 11:47

    Do you have the electrical schematic for the machine.? The white wire comes from the start relay.

  4. #4juancplazav2025-10-22 12:53

    Yes I do have elc. Schematic. About that withe wire I checked and is not grounded, also when I turn the key switch to start that wire sent signal to starter relay, engine cranks spins good but signal shuts off from withe wire and equipment doesn't start.

  5. #5Nige2025-10-22 13:42

    The so long as the key remains in the START position the 304-WH wire should always be energized. Have you checked the wiring at the Start Relay to see what happens at the same time as power is lost in the 304-WH wire.? From what I see in the schematic power to the relay coil is supplied via wire 306-RL37 GN and wire H808-RL2 WH provides the ground.

  6. #6juancplazav2025-10-22 14:45

    I did not check that other withe wire yet, I did check the withe wire that goes to the starter solenoid. Im in route to the equipment now, I will keep you posted.