Just thought I would start a new thread on stuff I get up to, this will include sproket removal etc from D9G/H down through to D3, and Komatsus' from D30 to 155 as I dig out the pics. (May contain traces of nuts).
pictures continued
pictures continued again
pictures continued once more
pictures continued and again
some more pics
and some more pics
some more snaps
almost there....
maybe not
only another 180 to go
that must be enough for now
tctractors, Very nice pic's Thanks for sharing those with us.
Yair . . . good stuff tct . . . you must be one of the few who almost specializes in keeping the old girls mobile. I am told it is difficult and very expensive to get a fitter to do final drive work over here. Cheers.
Scrub, I think the main issue is finding someone with the tools to do the job. Most Cat & Komatsu dealers consigned them to the scrap pile years ago. Present-day models don't need this kit to pull sprockets or open final drives up. Added to that I'd guess that a lot of fitters would fight shy of the job if either a) they didn't have the kit or b) hadn't done too many before, or both ........
Yair . . . Gotcha Nige. Thinking back, we were tooled up to do in-field repairs on just specific tractors. Most of the stuff evolved, pretty crude and based on modified fifty/eighty ton hydraulic jacks . . . you want more grunt use a longer handle. Different thing again to have the range of gear and adapters to do all size machines. Cheers.
Back 20 years or so I used to pull down around 3 or 4 F/Drives a month, that is go to site or yard and just pop the rim off for the C'os fitters to tackle the innards and give them a few tips on how to go about the bearing removal task etc, this was on mainly track shovels 941 to 977, the Komatsu kit was also very popular in my area so I used to also get stuck into them, the job of "dread" was the dead shaft in 155's the outside end thread would strip leading to some fearfull task to pull/cut out the knacker bit, in the end there was a repair developed to restore the end so it was a good result as getting the new shaft in was nearly as much trouble as getting the thing out, now I would be a lot more confident at doing 1 in short time but this work does not turn up anymore, I use my service press tooling near every week on something, its a good way to earn a pound as no one seems to want to do this type of work, it would seem the Laptop rules for them that dont want a bit of graft on the big bolts?? what I struggle with is finding a young skin wanting to learn the ropes with any interest, please dont think I only beat around old junk as I get plenty of work on new crap, but I tend not to take snap's of this iron. tctractors
Good to see tctractors 2.0, always enjoyed following the now vanished original posts & photo's. I grew up around the old iron, D8H's, D9G's, etc. The newer stuff might look prettier, but nothing beats the memories of firing up a D8H!
tc wish you were on my side of the pond. I'd love to learn a thing or 2 from you seeing these repairs first hand.
Thanks for the new thread TC! I like big gears.
Hats off to you TCT for doing this stuff every week. Great photos. It's probably 10 years since I last rebuilt one of those and I don't miss it one bit. I was working for a dealer at the time at a remote site and it took the tool store three attempts to send all the right tooling out to me. Customer was not happy........
Nice
tct, good to see the new thread after the other went MIA...you should take some pictures of the new stuff you work on it will be old soon enough.......TIO
TCT How did you pull a dead axle with bad threads?I dont remember what size cat it was maybe a 7 but the thread end was damaged. I welded 4 hammers from a rock hammer mill to it and used 2 50ton jacks to remove it. I burnt alot of rod on it and thought my welds would break but it worked.
Well I am happy that this new tread is of interest and I will post up a few pic's of new iron as things go, it would be silly of me to keep posting pic's of F/Drives in bits but I do seem to have loads (100's) of them as I have been doing them for so long now, on Monday I pressed in track pins into new V Track Chains (D6), yesterday I pulled down 2 F/Drives on a D4D 61J series dozer in mid Wales so the week unfolds. Old Doug, the cutting torch and a T/lance gets 155 dead shafts out, but it always seems to add about 2 days more work to the task. tctractors
Hey TCT. I'm interested to know do you still use the old fashioned "cat red" gasket maker on the housings, or do you use something more 21st century?
Oh, oh, I got this! Sadly CAT discontinued the old, revered 7M-7260 (thinking this is everywhere, not just the U.S.) Pretty much kicked everything to Loctite to meet worldwide requirements i.e. no EAME (euro) COSA (south america) NACD (U.S) different part numbers with different MSDS sheets. We use Loctite PNO 30525 as the repl of the 7M-7260
Cutterjohn, good bunch of Verbs on the gasket gunge thing, the new stuff is like mud in a tube, I still have 2 pots of the red stuff (7M-7260) that I jamb my nose into at least weekly, things change and the new stuff seems to work in a very favourable style, the cost of the new stuff is relatively low with 10 tubes around the £50 mark, the important thing is not to use Silicone syle gunge on F/Drive casings as it migrates out of the joint within hours once the tractor is working. tctractors
Oh that sure brings back good and bad memories. Seems that back when I was doing several U/C's it would come in waves. Either getting wire wrapped around the duo-cones and losing gear oil or dang dead axle issues, or both. Had a 6C come out of a gravel pit that 3/4 of a round of one thread left on the dead axle. Had to buy an extra adapter for the one that I welded to the end of it. Numerous 7018 passes and getting behind some heavy iron in case something went wrong and a prayer, 40 tons on the pump later it popped loose and my welds held. woo hoo!
I gotta ask tc, how do you get the big bolts out without an air compressor to run impacts, do you use a torque multiplier, swench or ?
Randy he's got a pet gorilla you can see his arms in those pics
To undo stuff I have 2 or 3 Torque Multipliers 2 of them 1 1/2" drive 23-1 gearing, plus I also have an 1 1/2" drive socket set with all the silly bars and stuff, I do have small air wrench tooling 1/2" and 3/4" to use if there is air on site, but I am not going to supply it as there is no money to earn on this extra for me, but my usual tools are an old stager 1" bar that is the best thing I have ever found (in a fire damaged Factory due for Demo) with a lenght of alloy scaffold tube, and a 3/4" Snap Off (On) long rachet etc. tctractors p.s I have copped another D6C 46J series tractor to press out the track pins and pull down the back casings, so the World is good all ways for me. p.p.s. I am not in any of those snaps, the big lad is Karl the owner of the 2 tripple 6 chariots.
Good pics and storys Tony. With the broken deadshaft thing, only had this once on a D4D and on that I ended up pulling the other side and using a long steel pin and bashing out the broken shaft from the good side. These days only tractors I want to know about fixing are those with my name on the fuel tank, at least then I can swear at myself when things go wrong !! Can,t believe a lot of dealers etc scrapped all that tooling as still must be some jobs they get called upon to rebuild final drives. Is certainly very few other options down here at the bottom of the world for that sort of tooling. Have the deadshaft adapters for D4/6 and can get hubs off then pull complete final and take it to dealer to pull while I wait. Was lucky enough to be able to borrow the gear to install sprocket on one D6D final as I knew who to ask; but wont be so lucky this winter when I have to pull finals on my other 6. Yes think its pretty hard anywhere to find a 'kid' whos interested in learning about machinery and getting dirty to fix them. Certainly an,t met any in my life, they all want to sit in the seat and pull levers, but get them to help fix things trouble is we all get older and then one day you try to lift something and body crys enough and you end up sitting on your rse with torn shoulder rotator cuffs. found this out the hard way cheers merv :drinkup
Merv, the weather here in the U.K. has been a right odd lot,with only around 3 cold days for months, but it has pi##ed down with rain just about every day resulting in some big puddles around the Parish, the down side for me is getting work inside its not realy happend, the other day I had the shout to pop up North and start up a D8H engine that I had just poked new innards to, the weather forcast was total mayhem but, I was told by N.L. the owner it was perfect and to get my backside up and fire up the beast, anyhow N.L's weather forcast missed out on the fact it was the worst storm for some few years and lets say I did my best but I am not a strong swimmer and around mid day I said stuff it, the drive home was some fun I nearly pulled over to write my good-by's to the bride it was one hell of a trip, today the Sun has been out with no rain so it must be Summer, one happy man. tctractors
Yes you guys have made the news down here at the bottom of the world where its all sunshine :notworthy UK the worst and wettest storms for 100 years; and the US massive cold snaps; makes me wonder what my winter will be like. But on a cheerful note worked a full weekend on my D6 over the new year, all by myself no one to annoy me, lovely warm weather, just me on my 6; bare feet, just shorts on, no singlet, just a cowboy hat to protect my bald head. Pure working bliss. Still worked during the week but because was people around have to wear some safety stuff like boots and day glow shirt and a hard hat if wrong persons watching, only good it would evr do was protect me from abit of bird 'dust'. Yes am abit of a hillbilly but are at least 10 years behind you guys with all the bovine excreatment some of you have to put up with. Have a great weekend TC :drinkup
Good to see this thread back again........some serious hard work involved there..............even managed to get my fizog in one of Tony's pics thanks Richard
Hi Richard,good to see you are still "Keeping Up" not much rain today so I stuck at it and managed to throw a left hand F/Drive up together on a D6C, the owner had to build me a road out of hard-core upto the tractor as the field has turned into a swamp, this ment winching myself and L/Rover to the dozer a few times leaving a good bit of damage to the ground, the new road is A-1 with no trouble getting along side the sick beast, all thats left is to poke in the track frames fuel tank seat etc and the Rops Cab, I was home for 5-30pm mission completed, only to find the Bride has had another pop at baking a Cake?? the last one took some fetching down but if I get stuck again in the L/R at least I have my own Hard-core. tctractors
Just got back in went fishing for the weekend. And I thought that was you in those pics
Brings back great memories for me, i did my time with the Cat dealer in Sydney starting in 85 and sprocket pulling/pusshing jobs were everywhere, big thing you had to remember was to get the absolute 100% correct gear or you were gunna have a pissed off customer. I remember doing 3 D9H sprockets in 1 day once, 1 lot was unbolted from the frame and laying on the ground and 2 others on the machine, remove blade, split track and jack sky high on the ripper and you had enough clearance to get the puller legs in then. I saw about 18 months ago a D9H final drive with case on the ground in the middle of our shop and like has been said before most dealers don,t have the gear so our guys had all sorts of undersize legs and gear set up and i thought boy, here comes an accident, told them to pack it all up and send the final drive to Don Clark Tractors, i reckon in NSW there might be just 3-4 places that could do it now.
some more of his work. Good to see a new thread T.C.
This is an engine for a D8H, it was all stripped out (not by me) to a very bare block with all the bolts in a big tub and all the bits poked in different locations,the engine copped the full hit with crank and counter-bore stuff and new innards,with the old engine in the tractor whipped out and this motor popped in, plus I did stuff to the steering clutch and brake band zone, the tent thing was to keep off the worst of the near constant rain, in 2013 I did 3 of these D342 CAT engine jobs 1 was in frame pistons liners and heads in a Power shift tractor, the other was after removing the engine from a clutch tractor (A lot easier task) and doing similar stuff including counter bore reclaim etc and rebuilding the clutch with old not so worn out bits. that my sad arse in the snaps tctractors
TC, some of us amateur mechanics that do our own stuff have enough trouble when we label everything, put in a very organized placement and take pictures as we go, take notes of how things came apart and try to do the best we can, I can't imagine walking into something like that, we're its more of a scavenger hunt than a rebuild. How much longer does it take to put it back together when its like that verses when you take it apart yourself and have things organized? twice as long, three times or ?
Randy, I would always prefer to strip out my own jobs as you say its handy for keeping things grouped up into the sections as things come to bits, plus its often on the strip down that you can make a judgement as to the viability of components, another customer of mine has his casual labour chaps strip out 2 or 3 engines at a time with all the bits kept into their own heaps, then he gets me in to build them back up with new pistons-liners bearings etc, this often results that I find a part knackered with the quick fix being to grap a good bit from the next engine heap, in doing this the last engine seems to end up being a fair "Dog" needing a deep pocket to put into a running unit making the engine the 1 he wished he had never seen, on CAT Cummins Perkins etc I know all the tricks plus I can always take a peep in the parts book so no trouble realy as I have had a few years at it, plus any bits I have left over I pop into my back pocket as I whistle. tctractors
I hear ya TC and now I get to see the man behind the wrench.
some pics of recent jobs
some more pics
more nonsense
A few verbs to help the snap's, the Komatsu has sheared to HPFP drive shaft, I never pulled it to bits I just get the job of poking it all back together, the CAT scraper is the last 657B series charabanc left in the UK?? its parked resting its Butt against the flat bit of a D9G, the little CAT with its rims pulled is a 61J series D4D w/spread tractor, the Fassi Crane is something I (and others) have been working on from the first thoughts,Its nearly finished now and it looks a blinder, The CAT 951 C started off as just a track adjuster seal, I have done a bit more that 1 seal to it as things have developed some as even the balancer shafts were scrap. tctractors
TC how many tons will the fassi get up close max pick and how far out will it reach and looking at the d65 its looking like you might be drying up some
Love the Pics TCT. Looks like you're the final drive guru! I also wondered about all the special tooling needed for these old machines and how most of it has likely been recycled into toasters. Funny when someone mentioned the Red Cat liquid gasket, I could remember the smell of it! Have you ever had any close calls with any of the hydraulic pressing tooling letting go? I can remember having a 100 ton press maxed out trying to get a steering spindle off a front strut on a 777 Cat. Very scary! It never did come off and we had to send it to a machine shop where they maxed out a 300 ton press. When they added heat it finally let go and shook the whole building. PS. Love the picture with the chicken by the machine!
Hatchequip, the weather has changed finaly after raining for over 2 months the Sun is out, the Komatsu had to have its drive shafts pulled so it could be fetched out of a swamp onto a less boggy spot, the Fassi will be set for 200metric tons @1 mtr the plan is to pick up a CAT D8K tractor and place it onto the load bed as a test load the engine is a Deutz 914 (sold on permit) and the pumps are Rexroth, this is the first time I have used this make of pump due to the higher top pressure of the Fassi. Profrooky, I have only had a few thread rods snap using hollow cylinders but nothing sort of scary as I always take precautions, firstly to make sure nothing or no one gets in a line of fire, secondly I always safeguard my kit from any damage, I would use some part of my hydraulic tooling at least once a week, pressing in Track pins, bushings, Cylinder liners and final drives is my usual type of task, I have been doing it for many years so I know about the pucker issue. tctractors
Enjoyed your thread tc!
Who did the 657 originally belong to Tony..? I remember working with Merriman's in Northumberland late 1970's on the topsoil stripping of an opencast site. They had 20+ of them on that job, funnily enough pushing with D9G's. Can't remember who else ran them back in the day. We have a Fassi as well, not quite that big but 85Ton-metre IIRC. Impressive piece of kit, I used it to put the stick on a Hitachi 3600 once when there was no crane available.
here's one of TC tractors engines.Going well.
Is that two future operators or mechanics
Nige, the 657B was 1 of 7 owned by Neil Becher, He took 3 over to Africa to work, 2 are in the yard torn down for parts never much chance of ever being anything but parts or scrap iron, 1 was sold for a project, leaving this mount that is all complete and running,it was working in a power station pulling coal about but the P/station is now running on Bio-Mass, so the chariot has now joined the S.E. Davis collection, they have a large collection of everything to do with Earth Moving from a Calf Dozer to a TC12, on the scraper front they must have about the lot from an S7 to a 657, the largest scraper in the U.K. is a CAT 666 thats blowing out its cobwebs now the Sun is out to play. On the CAT D8 front last year I managed to pull 2 of the D342 engines down and build 3 up, the tractor in the pic the engine had been stripped to a bare block by someone else, I only copped the job of bolting it back together, I like the Caterpillar plate it sort of makes it a C Series motor. tctractors
Hi TCT: Good to hear you stay on top of your pressing equipment. Certainly time well spent checking everything before hitting the button for the pump.
Off thread a bit but was travelling out your way a few weeks ago and spotted this wee dozer in the long grass http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/fulladpipe/6D23C26C-B6EB-4021-BC29-D8EC4CAAD71A.jpg
some more pics
and a few more
Very nice. The Fassi crane setup is just plain impressive.
for TC
Nicky, has posted up a few snaps of the job I did last Tuesday, this was to repair the failed R/H engine mount on his D8, to save a load of work I swapped the engine back case with a good 1 off another engine, the new (S/Hand) mounts were fitted to the good case and the lot stuffed back onto the tractor including another flywheel, the Torque was a knacker (scrap) although it still worked well??? anyhow I built up a good unit on the Wednesday ready to stuff in this week, Thursday and Friday I rebuilt a F/Drive on a D6C 46J tractor also swapped the Equalizer Beam with a few snap's comming soon, this week I am going to whip out the Transmission from Nickys D8 to have a peep inside so the Firm is still flat out, today I stuffed an engine back into a CAT 951C that I have just rebuilt so things are busy. tctractors
Tony, can you still buy the tooling from Finnings, or get it made up? I don't expect you come across anything you aren't tooled up for now, though. Will the Cat press do Komatsu's as well?
New torque ready to fit,transmission removed then torque refitted.
some of the more eagle eyed of you will notice something not right with the tranny.
some more.I was pretty please with this strip down as it needs only a couple of gears,a couple of bearings and a few other bits and bobs.i have most bits in my stores.
ih100, the CAT service press tooling is still able to be bought new from Finning (CAT) if you have the big Coin collection, as for Komatsu having the tooling readily for sale I would be scared to ask, Komatsu anything in parts can be a drama in a few ways, firstly when the parts man says "Back order Japan 3 weeks etc" then when he quotes you the price its funny at first but the giggle thing stops quick enough, I have all the tooling to tackle CAT D2 through D9 including all the track shovels etc, also all the Komatsu tooling from D31 through to at least the 155 dozer, the thing I am stuck for is a young spark keen to get stuck in and learn the game. tctractors
Yair . . . Excess end float on pinion shaft? Cheers.
If only you were on this side of the pond tc. I love working on the older iron. I just bought a 951 I'm going through now. I like the old 8h's and 955's and such. There is also a 6c for sale locally I'm thinking of going to pick up Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Tony, I'll send my lad down to you when he's old enough...another seven or eight years. Seriously, it's work I'd love to learn myself if I wasn't already occupied. I might have a working holiday with you.
On the transmission fault for the sharp eyed sorts, the oil spray pipe has fell out of its location, so the pinion has not been getting much of a drink, the pinion is a floating location on the p/shifts with bevel gear lash set on the forward position of the pinion travel. tctractors
I have just noticed my post total 1002 at least 3 times??? tctractors p.s. the odd thing is my post count is going down it was 1003 for 2 or 3 pages prev' am I getting younger??? as well.
tctractors, guess you solved your teaching a young lad to take over the business, by getting younger with each post you share with us. I have to hand it to you for doing some great work and being so kind to share it with us. I sure enjoy seeing what you are working on, and some of the methods you use to make it all happen. Thanks for taking time to share with us, such a very interesting job you have.
some of a transmission rebuild on D8
Hey TC: Any chance I could use some of your amazing pictures for the Textbook I'm working on? I would be happy to give you credit and appreciate the help. Thanks, Scott
Profrooky, what kind of textbook are you working on? Maybe you should start a thread about it and followers could send you pictures as needed:drinkup
Hi Mike L: It's a textbook that will be directed towards College level Heavy Equipment Technician students in North America and will cover the key aspects of all major systems found on Heavy Equipment machines. It will explain how the systems work and how to service and repair them. I'm hoping it will become a valuable reference for students and apprentices entering the trade and be part of their knowledge base as they work in the industry. I've got most of the writing done and am now putting together the illustrations for all the chapters. I have a lot of my own photos and illustrations and have permission to use many others. There are also some really great photo's that are posted to some of the threads that I would like to use and so far most of the guys have agreed to let me use them when asked. I have considered starting a separate thread but didn't know if that would be allowed. This forum has a lot of experience and knowledge that I would love to tap into to make it an even better resource. Could someone let me know if it would be Ok to start a new thread asking for photos for my book? Thanks, Scott
I'm trying to make a joke about about a school book of TC's pictures here in the USA it would be a history book, with that said I truly admire Tonys work, I don't no anyone around here with his knoweldge and skill on these older cats, my hats off to him. Chances are here if you teach students with that older material they would never set a hand on one after they graduated. Hope I made someone laugh!
profrooky, you do as you like with any of my junk, as overworked has already posted about lots of my jobs being on older bangers, the new stuff I work on I hardly bother to take any photo's of as its realy not very interesting (to me) and usualy involves a wire or a relay to make things work, the cost of parts etc on new stuff is often the cause of plenty of Companys only running kit for around 3 years now then swapping things for new, so the fun for me is not great on new stuff as I dont do service style work, there is dip stick men about for this task with the nasty jobs comming my way. tctractors
TC, It's nice to see you keeping the older ones up and running, around here there's alot of swapping the new ones in instead of fixing the old ones, Times are a changing, they rather pay the bank 12 times a year than the mechanic 2 or three. :beatsme
I know little about heavy equipment, but man that looks like some fun. Interesting tooling and you use mostly torque multipliers. I'd be lost without my impact guns. Lol
Overworked, you are bang on with your "History Book" wheeze, as that is what I love, it would seem in some ways I am 1 of the last few men standing in the U.K. that likes working on old Chariots, the new style tractors are o.k. to work on but lack the struggle to get them to bits like the old stuff, that System1 track group is a good example of something not liked from the very start, owners wanted it to be crap as it was to big a change from what they were used to, the electronic injectors are of very good quality and work well for a good few hours, but the replacement cost is so high? but its how things are so I try to get as much work on the early stuff to keep my brain active in a non E.T. way, loved your comments all. tctractors
Tony I have some new kit aswell as the D8's you know.....I have one of them new fangled hi drive things with Cat stickers on it,a couple of Hyster forktrucks with electric start,not to mention a JCB that has a radio in it.Do you like JCB's?
Big old toys need bigger old tools, story of my life too!
tony, I have read with great interest and enjoyment all of your great threads with super pics. someday if I live long enough, I hope to visit England where my ancestors hail from and if I do I would sure enjoy meeting you and maybe holding wrenches for a time for you!! thanks for all of this..
oldirt, I am very happy that you like my "rubbish" it would seem that most people struggle to understand the verbs I print? anyhow I do have some new interesting pics' to post of jobs done, as always it includes a few F/Drives on D6 tractors, the weather here hasnot been to bad after the constant down-pour at the start of the year (2 Months of it) lucky for RayF he managed to pop over here in the yearly heat wave, that is 4 days with no rain just the odd shower that we dont realy count, if you do manage to get over here you would be most welcome to get the "Start" I would also be happy to take you to see a few chariots of merit. So thank you for your consideration tctractors
you're welcome! and one question.. where is worc? I see you list that for a location on the misty isles.. my ancestors came from lincolnshire.
oldirt, I live at a small Town called Upton upon Severn, this is at the bottom of the Malvern Hills, Morgan Cars are based at Malvern that is just a few miles away from my "Tent", Upton is a fancy little town with lots of tourist intrest and plenty of events and festivals staged thoughout the year,also we have a large steam rally (show) and a local show ground that stage some of the best events in the U.K. so my little bolt hole is in a goodish spot, its located just off the M5-J8 and also off the M50-J1 so in U.K. terms its a simple location to find. Lincolnshire, is famouse for its Farming Land and all sorts of robust and great to eat food washed down with good local beer, its not to far from my pitch around 2 hours drive, I was in that area last week on a CAT collection tour,so if you make the trip bring some work clothing again thank you for your intrest Sir. tctractors
wow.. thanks for the great description of where you live! work clothes go wherever I go since I can't help but get greasy on something..
All my clothes eventually end up as work clothes for the same reason..
I would suggest you include the wisdom imparted on me by the best mechanic I ever worked with and all around nice guy, Jim Hamill (Schiavone), "Technical knowledge can be taught, how something works and how to test why it is not doing what it is supposed too, but you first MUST learn neatness and good habits, they are the signs of a craftsman"
fired a barrel of Shell into it and some new hoses from Cat.I like to put new suction hoses and reseal the lines on these old D8's.I filled up the filter assembly and a couple of gallons into the torque before start up.
Fired it up yesterday and all seems well.All the gears are there and no leaks yet.Will run it for a couple of hours dozing soil to find any problems. However.....on a separate issue I think I may have buggered the hyd pump.I have allways bled the rams simply by lifting them up and refilling the tank.This time was different though.During the powertrain rebuild I stripped all the pumps to clean them and check them.The vanes were fairly worn but had been working fine so I simply cleaned it and resealed it and put it back on.When I operated it it is screaming bad and chucking some fearsome pressure back into the tank.The rams were only pumped down a foot and not all the way in and out.The pump sounds dry and all the back pressure makes me wonder if it's bled or drawing in air???? I think I must have put it back together wrong? I reakon it's coming back out but can the two big hoses that run along the chassis to the front be on back to front?,I think not but......... The rams do lift up and down and the tilt doesn't scream. Will need to speak to TC.
Those vane pumps are a POS. The slightest cylinder seal leak causes dirt to be pulled into the system and takes the pump out. Have you considered switching to a gear pump..?
I don't know about this actual pump in question, but some vane pumps it is possible to put them together differently to be used for the opposite direction of rotation, if you get it wrong the inlet and outlet will be doing the opposite to what they should. Therefore the outlet port would be trying to draw oil in but finding it difficult and so making the screaming noise, and the inlet would be pumping it out chucking the fearsome pressure back into the tank. I'm sure TC will know.
pulled it out this morning and found nothing wrong with it(other than it's buggered!),I am convinced I rebuilt it correctly and don't have any nagging doubts about it.It has to be said that it appears to be fairly worn with flat spots on the vanes.However,it was working fine before I cleaned it up.Perhaps I should have left it in the dirt until I needed it. A new one is going in tomorrow if I get time.We'll see what happens. Nige,these old D8's do have a fair bit of pitting etc on the pistons and due to the fact that they are in a silica pit I would agree with you on premature weara and tear. The other tractors have the same rash on them and would need new rods and seals in an ideal world.
Hi plant fitter,after I pulled it out this morning my mind was refreshed and it convinced me that I had done it as it should.Will fit the new pump tomorrow and we'll watch this space.
A gear pump would be far more tolerant of sh1te entering via the cylinder rod seals than a vane pump. We found this "fix" about 10 years ago for newer tractors, it was an "Arctic Arrangement" IIRC. Now on the latest generation of tractors, guess what - they come with a gear pump as standard............Cat have obviously given up on the vane pump after 30+ years ...........
Yair . . . Nige . You may be just the bloke to ask . . . what will a vane pump do that a gear pump won't? Cheers.
Nothing AFAIK, I speak under correction there though ................ also they are far more susceptible to contamination in the hydraulic system. And there's one thing you can pretty well guarantee on any large dozer with 4 cylinders at the front end and 4 on the ripper - one of the eight is likely to be leaking at any given time and if oil can get out dirt can get in. Vane pumps don't live long in those conditions.
Put the new cartridge on today(there was one on the shelf at about £200) and it was srtripping topsoil this afternoon with no issues.Not sure where to get a gear pump off the shelf in a hurry to fit an old D8.For what the machine works and the ease of changing it,not to mention immediate availability I will take my chance on the vane pump.Perhaps 20 years ago I may look at the gear type. Next job to do on this tractor is to remove numer 6 combustion chamber as it's been weeping coolant up past the seals.I reakon it won't come out in a hurry....
Funny that Nicky, thats what I was thinking on the chamber seal? its a bonnet off deal anyhow plus its a good idea to set the over-head lash on the motor, anyhow it was a cheap repair on a half knackered pump and I will call before the week ends. tctractors
Sorry about Hi-Jacking this a bit but my point is "Fix it right when problems start and it will be money saved in the long run" I had a boss that was convinced that as long as oil was coming out it would keep the dirt out. Thoght I had got past that kind of thinking but a year ago this last March I pointed out to my current boss that the tilt cylinders on one of our 980 g's were leaking. He said as soon as plant get started up we would pull them and reseal. Now over a year later I pointed out the puddle under the front and almost seemed surprised to know they were leaking. Guess running for a full season and then parking out in the cold all winter was suppose to heal them up!:Banghead If it makes it better this loader uses Vane type pump for the main hydraulics! So now instead of a couple $209.00 cylinder kits and some labor to install the new seals. We may be looking at one $808.00 cartridge and another $361.00 cartridge( exchange parts prices) plus seals and bearing from a worn out pump. Oh! then we still have to reseal the two tilt cylinders. Did I mention that this machine sat unused for about three moths this winter? Then they seem surprised that at 64 years of age and 44+ years pulling wrenches, I'm planning on calling it quits. Things that were considered common sense repairs twenty plus years ago now are looked at something that will fix itself if let go long enough.:beatsme
Yair . . . Thanks Nige for reply (post 101). Pretty much what I think, I have never quite figured the reason for a vane pumps existence. They seem to be often used in places a basic old gear jobbie would be more appropriate and there seems to be belief that somehow they are "better". Cheers.
In days of old the technology of gear pumps was somewhat lacking and the vane pumps would usually run happily at higher pressures with less noise. They were easy to rebuild and oddly enough were considered in those days to be more resistant to contamination than the gear pumps since the vanes would move to accomodate particles rather than dragging them through the housing like gears did. Since then we see gear pumps happily running at 3,000 psi or higher and the venerable "Vickers Vane" pumps have slowly fallen by the wayside.
Yair . . . thanks for that explanation lantraxco . . . I had not really considered that, as with most things, gear pumps are getting better. Cheers.
Like old farts and Tennessee sippin liquor
Kshansen,I agree wholeheardedly about solving the ram leaks to save the pump in an ideal world.If this wasn't a 40 year old back up tractor I would consider pulling the two blade rams and the tilt.There is no ripper on this yolk but the cost of 3 seal kits,3 new pistons or recromeing and labour(those tilts are abit much for my limited skills) far out weigh the £200 for the new cartridge and some lost oil.I have ran newer kit both in the past and present and I treat them abit different than the old D8's. I am looking forward to TC removing this sticking combustion chamber.Hope to heaven the head's not coming off!!! as it is a nice,sweet,dry motor.
Vickers oil pumps have been fitted to construction equipment from the early days, JCB even used them on their 3C W.D.L. at an early point, the pump is a top quality item with the drive shaft fitting into a rotor hub with support bearings/bushings at both ends, they run in a very smooth and positive way with a good balance from the inlet to outlet ports, the centre hub can be changed easily to the bigger ported Bio-Oil item, plus the whole cartridge can easily be swapped for more or less G.P.M. units, there is plenty of N.O.E. cartridges about that seem to give good service, the Vickers cartridges also are very good on cost from a Hydraulic parts outlet, I love them plus they swap from C/Rotation to A.C/Rotation easily, Gear pumps had a glory time in the 1970/80 period with the likes of Dowty etc, they won the Queens award for export they flogged so many, they were less than a 3rd of the cost of the Vickers pumps and would wear out over-night given a long shift, the gear pumps today are often found to be steel built and can take the pressure better than the Alloy items, they are still relativly cheap items but I dont think dirt and crap is a good "pal" to its innards, the now common piston pump is a blinding bit of kit, the fixed bent axis pump will cop the odd bit of dirt and shove it into your valve block without it would seem to much drama so if I was ever tempted to change from a Vickers style vane pump it would be to a piston item that I would look at rather than a gear unit, that is if my money was passing from my moth filled pocket, tomorrow I am changing a Steering pump (Gear Type) on a Komatsu dozer as its a knacker after copping a bit of crap through it. tctractors
Yair . . . I always found the convenience of being able to stack on extra stages for different functions from a single (say) front of crankshaft drive a handy feature of gear-pumps . . . particularly on marine applications. Cheers.
As long as you are aware of the cost/benefit facts and I'm guessing this old D8 is not something you are going to be running 8 to 10 hours a day for nine months out of the year I have no problem with running something that is less than perfect. If you could see the old motorcycle I use daily to get tow work and back at night you would know I'm not hung up on perfection! But as I only have a one mile run each way and if it did quit I could walk the rest of the way it's not a problem. That has happened only once in 15 years and that was because some dummy for got to put fuel in it! The machine I was talking about is one of the main loaders used to load customers trucks in a stone quarry that many days will run flat out 10 hours.
Words of wisdom from Tony. The weird thing is that on D10s you couldn't keep vane pumps on them for more than what appeared to be 5 minutes at a time. Look at the oil analysis and if there was a leaking cylinder on the tractor (always a good chance with 8 of them to leak..!) then silicon would be through the roof and ISO Code about 4-7 numbers higher than the "optimum" 18/15. Change the OEM vane pump for a gear pump and the pump then goes from one tractor overhaul to the next 14-17,000 hours. ***...?? Tony. I agree with you about piston pumps but in this case the replacement gear pump is actually cheaper than the vane pump it replaces, I couldn't see that being the case if a piston pump was used as a replacement. Horses for courses though.
Nige, I am a bit lucky with the gear pump thing as there is a Factory about 20 miles from my house that makes them, they also seem able to make them to custom build within 2 days, plus the fact that they only deal in Gear Pumps makes them Alpha at their game, a few years ago there was a few people running Halla loading shovels local, they had an alloy gear type steer pump, that liked to split the case under savage driving (pressure to infinity often does it) the steering snubbers were a bit doubtfull, anyhow I changed all 3 shovels to steel pumps plus did a trick on the snubber valves to end this issue. kshansen, Nicky's D8's get the full boot stuffed into them with the longer shift being the 1 to have=££ tctractors
Hi TC,your private message box is full and I didn't wan't to clog up your thread here but I don't want to phone incase I forget what needs doing to the D8 in dry dock. comb chamber,glow plug testing(my spare dept is devoid of any),alternator charge(It was a good starter before it came into the yard but didn't quite start yesterday.could be poor glow,poor chatge or just need half a shift of graft.Need to weld new wear strip onto front trackframe sledge( I'm not worried about this though).Valve lash check and belly plate.( I can do this if we run out of time) Any time is good for you at your conveinance. Best regards,Nicky.
some photos of my work recently
and some more
and finally some more
and some more
The snaps went a bit off kilter somehow? but not to worry,the Fair Ground ride was a job in Wolverhampton by the Football ground, this involved an engine repair to the generator the ride is very high tech as it all folds away or puts its self up by pressing a few buttons,its right smart, the little CAT 951 engine is just about to get poked back into its perch after an innards re-build, the D6C was again another f/drive thing plus a few other jobs like the Equalizer Bar etc, then there is a transmission rebuild out of heaps of trans' bits littering the healing bench and store cupboard (D8H), the yellow Land Drainer copped a knackered track adjuster needing the track pin sucking out, the owner pumped and I checked its progress, its hard work looking at stuff? the blue thing is made in Bavaria by Walter Fockesperger, the winch unit has a Cummins M14 kicking up the beans, drive to the winch is via Rexroth hydraulics the unit has a single line pull of 70'000kgs 140'000 kgs on 2 falls, it pulls the back bit through the ground faster than you can walk with the leg in 6ft deep it would seem? then there is the crane trailer all finished and working well, its a bit of stress to get everything working correctly and look easy, the track frame guards are for my CAT 951B and in the snap are about 75% done, I will admit to getting carried away with the making of them with the finished artical taking me just over 3 days to make with all the little finishers etc, anyhow they are done now and look sharp so I am pleased, the little blue engine is a Perkins (Navistar) thing that copped the full re-build, including the front case repair due to a nasty built water pump issue. tctractors p.s. perhapse I should post more F/Drive things as I am doing 2 next week but its a bit boring realy.
Fockesperger/Spyder Plow, it's a small world. The power unit there is built on a Morooka MST-3300VD out of Japan, although I hear he's been making his own lately. Pretty amazing what people can think of to do with some machines! Keep the pictures coming Tony, what may be boring to you is always interesting to us.... it's a bit like you watching that man operate that pump, we really enjoy seeing someone else do all that work!
Yair . . . I mentioned in a post way back that from my point of view a sprag and winch set up would be an alternative to the brute force/traction issues that need to be addressed when plowing in "drainage tile" as the folks in the US call it . . . and there it is. http://www.spiderplow.com/anim/index.html Cheers.
Hey Scrub! Great video there! Sorry, I apparently misppelt the name, but you got it, lol.
The spider plough will be mainly used to place electric cable well below the the standard depth, the cable on the Marooka winch is a heavy lump of wire its die formed ordinary lay 42/44 mm diamiter stuff that is a good weight to try to pull about, the plough is fitted with its own small winch to pull the cable to it as required, the engine fitted to the plough is a 4 cylinder Fiat/Iveco item, its on site doing a small job now in the south of the U.K. tctractors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGqfTeY8cr0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmY-KhNZ5s based on a MAN truck
Hey TC: I echo lantraxco that what may seem boring to you is cool to many others. Keep the pics coming, quite a variety of iron you get your hands on! Is that a torque divider you have apart for the D8? If so could I be selfish and ask you to take a couple pics of it? I'm looking for some for my book. Thanks
Great thread Tony, great to see your pictures again! and glad your busy! Aiden
Yair . . . thanks for those links d4c24a . . . not much horsepower involved there. Cheers.
The blue thing is a right piece of kit.Those track guards you made for that Drott you keep throwing money at are abit rough mate.I could tidy them up abit for you? Did you get that big Fassi crane to lift the D8 yet?.It's a monster.
I do agree Nicky on the track guard thing looking a bit dog-eared, but now I have finished them I am double happy, firstly that they fit A1 perfect, secondly that they are a done job over, as they are some fiddle on these small loaders, I made some guards for a D8K about 3 years ago out of some thickish plate and fair chunks of steel, in 1 day I rolled, shaped, drilled, plated including the grease flap both track frames, little loader track guards are made of bean tin iron about 3 mm thick so how come its around the 3 days total faffing about to get every detail correct. tctractors p.s. the Fassi crane has been to busy to play about with, the Fassi chaps from Italy did come over and carry out a full performance test on it, I was involved within this test set up, with the lifting power the crane can muster a D8K would be "No Bother" to the beast
Tony, great pics and interesting dialogue. Thanks for posting all the best Richard
Richard how is your hunt going for the ripper going, I still have the tank, control lever and oil lines "In Stock" if you need them. tctractors p.s. profrooky, if you look at pic' 65 you will see the drive divider gears that fit into the flywheel, the centre hub "Sun gear" is bolted into the flywheel.
Changing tack a bit. Tony, I don't know if you saw the thread but a guy was looking for how to control towed scraper hydraulics from a D8L. Obviously it would need 3 additional hydraulic functions so a ripper control valve would be no use. I looked everywhere I could think of and couldn't find any info. Any ideas..? The only one I could come up with was somehow adapting the blade tilt function on the main control valve (on the basis that most push cats generally only have a cushion blade with no tilt) to run the 3rd function on the scraper.
Tony, I'm still looking.....and i am interested in the parts you have......i'll drop you a pm about it shortly Still here in Moscow but should be home mid July for a few weeks. I was at the Russian version of Conexpo or whatever you call it......here's a fine thing to cast your eyes over......with a Chinese Cummins motor
Wonder where they might have copied that design from ?
p.s. profrooky, if you look at pic' 65 you will see the drive divider gears that fit into the flywheel, the centre hub "Sun gear" is bolted into the flywheel. Thanks TC, I'll check it out.
i know its of topic a bit but what is the advantage of high drive over low drive on a dozer the komatsu s i have done work on are all low drive but another company near by has newer machines which all seem to be high drives thanks paul p.s.not sure weather high drive and low drive is the right term but i think someone could make sense of it
There are a number of benefits, according to Cat anyway: - 1. The drive sprocket is up out of all the mud & crap. 2. A planetary final drive can be installed in a unit that can be removed from the tractor simply by splitting the track. Using a planetary final drive reduces the size of the drive train components in between the transmission and the drive sprocket. 3. The steering clutch and brake are also installed in the unit referred above. 4. A complete final drive, clutch, & brake unit can be removed even from something as big as a D11 in no more than a couple of hours. In a low drive tractor to get into the finals, steering clutches, and brakes involves (most probably) starting off by removing the cab and maybe the fuel tank. Low drive don't have planetary final drives which makes their drive train components bigger and clunkier once you finally get at them. Also to get at the sprocket side of the drive the track frame has to come off.
Disadvantages according some other brands sales people, and also those that run them. Less total length of track on the ground with a comparable sized low drive dozer, with more feet of total track to achieve the same purpose, not sure if this is true or not, just what I've been told, never really compared them myself though. The smaller idlers and more of them, cause higher wear and tear on the undercarriage verse's the larger drive and idler sprocket on a low drive dozer. For each track revolution high drives make more more track chain turns and tighter turns verses low drive's. The high drives have several different versions of undercarriages put out over the years to try to overcome the wear caused by the last listed problem. With the high drive, the torque is applied to the track, from above, not an inline straight pull as with a low drive, some claim it cuts transmittable power and causes strain on the lower rear idler and track chain. Low drives have been around since the beginning of tracked equipment, its a tried and true design, used on many different applications, high drives are only on dozers and until now I never knew any other company to copy it, most other global companies have worked with and considered the differences and have decided to stay with the proven system. Cat still utilizes low drives on most of their lineup, from dozers to excavators and even belted tracked machines, not sure what that says, but I've been told it rules out the theory of keeping everything out of the dirt and crap. With the coming of age of hydrostatic drive's, most of what was gained with the high drives was a mute point when it comes to hydrostatic drive's. The transmission that slides out on a tray on high drive's, basically no longer exists on hydrostatic drives, drive motors are installed directly onto the finals, even cat uses this method on new models of hydrostatic drives. The last time I was told, by a cat rep, they offer machines in both configurations to sell to each individual buyer, not sure what that means exactly, other than not even cat has all their eggs in one basket when it comes to high drive's. It gets down to what brand and configuration you like best and what dealers you have near you that give "you" the best service and support, anyone can rationalize any reason they want to prefer one brand over another, in the end they all do the same job, move dirt. It gives plenty of discussion as to which is better, causes and keeps opinions flying in all directions and broadens the topics more than just brand comparisons, now we have configuration comparisons as well to hash over.
thanks for the response just something a allways wondered thanks paul
Salsa Was,, yaqggxpwysAozOuuuyyuwdhAauYwcruPnrmndem,allow,WA, propagate.u Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Delete Post LOL I Think One Of My rugrats Got Ahold Of My phone
14 I was tring to read that, thought you might have learned new lingo On the high drives there just plain easier and faster to work on which makes the labor part cheaper, track adjusters seam to last forever, hard noses lean over and like has been said about the other pros and cons
I would have to dig into my files from years ago, but right now I have link groups on high-drive tractors going 10k hours from new to destruction with almost no seal failures. I cannot ever recall low drive tractors getting that number of hours on tracks. Yes they are more expensive because there are more links in the chain, but look at the hours they are going FFS.......!! It's now a 1/2 day job to change a complete final drive, clutch & brake group on a high-drive. On a low drive it would take you that long simply to get the blade and track frame off ..........!! When I first saw one many years ago I wasn't sure, because it looked so different. I am now.
In a good long day on my "Jack" I can remove the blade,split both tracks, whip out both frames, then blow down both F/Drives, strip out the gears leaving just the top pinions in place on a d6C/D on site with just hand tools, a D6H-R you can leave the main case empty in a good day, thats F/Drives, brake and S/clutch, transmission (complete with bevel gear), and not feel a knacker afterwards, the High Drives are easy to work on as its in-built in the design of the tractor, but the old bangers are more fun to work on. tctractors
I was thinking more of an 8H/K or 9G/H Tony, but I take your point ............ the old bangers that you work on don't generally get called on to work 7,000 hours a year either .......
Yair . . . tctractors . I couldn't help but grin . . . I put it to you mate that a few blokes on this board probably think you have warped idea of what is "fun". Cheers.
got a persistant leaking rocker cover gasket on a D342 that's going to get cured tomorrow.The tappets will also get set up abit for good measure.This tractor will also get prepared for some scraper work with the pto fitted and some new hoist plates and brakeband.It was working fine before but did require the right sort of operator to make it work.Will take down a spare rocker cover,spare skirt,and some spare gaskets for both rocker cover and skirt.A spare rocker shaft is also in the box just in case.
It would seem I have a bit of a puzzle on a U.S. built bit of iron based on a CAT? that is not the common thing on my rock (U.K.) its a thing called a Delta 150C that is a cable plough (Plow) now the engine is not the standard item as I can see its been stuffed in place of something smaller the drive is not standard CAT but the steering, brakes, and F/Drives are standard items, I think its based on a D3C or 5C unit, anyhow some time ago I have had the steering clutch units out and pulled them to bits as they would slip at odd times, in the clutch pack build up was some standard friction discs also some paper lined friction discs, it would seem that I have pulled out the paper discs and replaced them with standard frictions, so now the whole clutch is built up with no paper discs giving a thicker pack stack, the springs (Double) look as new I might have changed them ? also there is washers under the springs, the clutch units look in perfect condition and work well without any trouble, the clutch slip issue happens when the plough leg is stuffed well into the ground past 3ft deep and they try to steer things some with the clutch/brake pedals, I can see the plough has steering cylinders off it, so I am thinking is it being driven correctly? is the engine to powerfull for the task (CAT3126) ? or am I missing something here by removing the paper plates, plus if I give the steering clutch any more bite is it going to stuff up the bevel gear or F/Drive, what would be the best way out and what is the max spec on the clutch pack thickness? any help any one??? tctractors p.s. the adjustment on the clutch units is sound also the steering valves are not sticking (no pressure on slave cylinders when no peddle contact)
Don't know the machine but maybe this will help: http://www.deltamp.com/CablePlows/brochures/DT150CBROC.PDF http://www.deltamp.com/about/about.htm
Interesting. I notice that in the brochure Lantraxco linked to, it mentions "multiple disc dry clutches". As far as I was aware they should be wet clutches in a D5C? Are they dry TCT?
Further down they list a fluid capacity: "Steering Brake Clutch Compartments (ea.) 7.4 Gal." "dry clutches" was probably a misprint?
The clutch packs are in oil, also some of the other details are a bit off, anyhow thank you for your help, this clutch thing I am thinking is a weak spot in a very modified tractor, it must be said that the Delta is a very good if not stunning bit of iron at dragging stuff in the ground, but the steer clutch might be in need of a re-work? tctractors
TC i may have met the owner of the Delta at an auction late last year , spoke very highly of you
Hi graham, that is the man, as for the "spoke very highly" well lets just say he shouts a lot! he also now owns the Walter Fockesberger winch plough, he also does Well Drilling and top cutting, so it would seem anything involving "Danger" with machinery is his area to work in, I have him beat as I have also done tunneling (Timber pipe and segment) but I must say you would not be wanting to set in his yard if you are a learner or a bluffer, cos' he would fire you out the gate so fast you would be dizzy, I sort of think I have the Delta steering clutch thing fathomed in my mind, its bottom line is to much poke going against to much load through to small a clutch, the thing is something has to give or the final drive rips out??? hope things are going good for you, blow me your brothers gone a bit skinny mind, could you not take him for a plate of food instead of the grapes and carrots he is munching on?? tctractors
TC, another clue in that brochure, at the bottom it lists "Swing cylinders" and "Steering cylinders" so I think as you mentioned that there may be some operator input change required allowing the tractor to swivel on that rear vertical pivot? I think split hydrostatic with no steering clutches would be better, that's a lot of ponies to be pushing into one final when you declutch the other side yeah? Have fun.
Some pics of kit that TC looks after from time to time. These old D8H tractors have been flat out during the last 5 weeks in the hottest heatwave that I can remember.Temps are savage with highs in the low 30's and lows in the high 20's.They fire up before 6am and shut down after 5pm.Sat mornings have been 6am straight through to 12pm no breaks. The two old D8's have used only 5 gallons of oil in engines and transmissions between them with only a little water leak in one of the rads at the very bottom right hand side.Breakdowns have been zero with only abit of night time spanner work to put things back on that fall off during the day.This has included a creeping hoist breakband that I replaced with another old 3 piece band one night.It's perfect now,a kicker arm spring pin that kept falling out abit until I fired a splitpin at it and a close shave with a trackframe damn near falling off.I had gone to give them some grease at tea time and noticed the entire brace pin had migrated into to the opposing pin that keeps the trackframes on.No damage appeared to have been done so I got the 1'' drive bar and a scaffold tube out and removed each cap one at a time to get the pin back in without the frame dropping(I had no jack in the field to keep it up).Anyway there were no dowels in the caps for some reason.One had sheared off and the other was only full off muck.I reakon it's been this way for years so I made a makeshift dowel out off a 3'8" bolt with some nuts and washers and chewing gum etc(TC will be so pleased!) and dogged it back on.It went back to work and the following morning before they started work I removed the cap again and put a proppor dowel back in.It was ready for 6am.That could have been nasty. On another note the D5 has just blown a little tilt pipe.Finnings can fix that on Monday morning and the scraper blew an old tyre plug out last load on yesterday.The hirer will fix that tomorrow as I've took a weeks holiday with the family. TC,Old Geordie is in charge of the quarry during my holliday.He has your number but there is nothing pending.......
A pic of some of them in action.Sometimes you just have to load uphill.
Good to see the chariots up against a bit of hard work Nicky, the loading up hill thing I would rather not set my eyes on though as its like loading dump trucks pointing the wrong way? but some times you have to do what you can to fill your bin (scraper) the "firm" me by myself have been right active, firstly the Delta plough thing copped the full cross shaft hit, then an Extec C12 crusher took an alarming amount of time and effort to get fit for duty, the things just sort of destroy themselfs but a jobs a job, then I copped a few DumpTrucks to fettle A30 somethings, anyhow I managed to break 1 of my fingers funny thing it was with the safety bar, it didnt' hurt much plus it was on my left hand so the rag and tape job did the Doctor thing (it did ache some when I tried to go to sleep though) the dump trucks are just how I like them with not any sign of grease any place! these things cost a fortune to buy new so to see how they have been maintained is eye watering but very good for idiots like me (pic's coming soon) I also managed to sneak a day or so at our local Steam Rally it was great fun plus the lads from Bridgwater came mob handed to add to the chaos, I have some long shifts ahead this coming week with a job in Devon and a job in Winchester, lets hope my Vespa can stick the distance. tctractors
Great thread and awesome pics guys! This thread is just the inspiration I needed. Not to muck up the thread with questions but I have an issue and you guys seem to be the gurus. D65P-8 Komatsu. I just went through the steering case & installed all new parts. Brake pads & turned drums, clutch & friction plates, all new seals, bearings, bushings, etc. Also a new hydraulic pump & steering pump. Undercarrige is great. Engine & transmission seem to be working perfect. Put it to work on Friday with hopes to make some of my parts & labor bill back. A couple hours into the job I noticed a clunking noise coming from the left rear of the machine when traveling up in 2nd gear. It got worse & was even doing it while idling in 1st by the time I got back to the trailer. It's a random clunking noise and no pattern to it but only in forward gears & not reverse. It makes the noise under load or not. I would say it sounds like a rock rolling around in the rear sprocket. It doesn't do it while in gear with the clutches pulled back so I concluded it's a final drive. There are some shavings on the fill plug magnet. Fixing it at a dealer would probably cost more than the dozer is worth so I'll probably be tackling this project myself as well. I'm checking with a local contractor that runs Komatsu equipment & does all of his own repairs to see if he has the pullers. I'm not worried about doing the job myself. It's just nuts & bolts. I specialize in metal fabrication but have tackled big mechanics jobs also. I have another dozer, an excavator, skid steer, forklift and access to a crane so handling the components isn't a big deal. My big question is what can I expect to see for a parts bill when this project is complete? I'm located in north central US. Any machining & tooling will be free or close to it so just parts to get this moving again. New, used, rebuilt or whatever it takes. I know it could be as easy as a $100 bearing but my luck isn't that good. If it's $10,000 a side it won't happen. I'm going to pull both sides to do a complete inspection while I have the tools & the dozer is sitting. If it costs as much as a down payment on a newer machine I might just go that route & part this old girl out. Any advice is appreciated & pics will surely follow if I tear into this project. Thanks, Twisted
I pulled out my dark suit and made sure it was fit to wear, expecting I might have to attend services for that man laying under an unblocked scraper bowl. Not my business of course and it may well have been perfectly safe, but from here it looks like a pretty shaky roll of the dice. Peace
I noticed that too but didn't study pict for blocking
ohh, anywhere nice?
Wow' twisted I have never had to re-plate a D65 series anything steer clutch they just dont give trouble, I will be working on a D65LGP series 8 tractor on tuesday I love them, the final drives flake off loads of metal from the bull gears with the top pinions being the gear usualy to come out worst of the 4 gear set up, I am surprised that you never popped the casings as you had the clutch units out as top pinion bearings I would have thought would have lift on the drum flange, anyhow there is non O.E. parts about for this tractor, plus the E and P spec tractors have extra support in the case for the main hub in the form of W/Metal bearing etc, the bearing on both sides of the main hub are a fairly spendy item but some Co's I have done this task for would not replace the big self aligning bearing, it never seemed to fail so dont be worried about doing the same, I do have 2 sets of pulling pushing adaptors for this tractor so its a shame you are not in the U.K. when you strip out both sides you can swap the gears to the opposite side to run on the less worn tooth face, I cannot recall the costings involved but if you have timber baulks handy its easy to fetch down both F/Drives in a day, you will need blanking plugs for the tilt cylinder lines plus make sure the engine runs for undoing the rim nut etc, I have pic's of a few I have done that I could dig out if its any help, plus the pressing back together of the spocket to the hub is like doing a D8H/K (that comment might be wasted?) best of luck tctractors p.s. what is a guru ???? does it taste like beer? p.p.s. the Scraper has bowl latch fittings to hold things up to transport etc but I suppose a few blocks would look the part, anyhow Nicky is R.A.F. trained and no its nothing to do with Airplanes. The place in Devon is a Quarry near Briggadoon? its to whip out a transmission on a Volvo Dump Truck.
Yair . . . I figured the scraper must be on the latches but I dunno, I never trusted the concept. I suppose it's all in the mind . . . there is something reassuring about a couple of decent baulks or some pigsty on a firm base that is just a little thicker through than you are. Cheers.
Used to spend a lot of time alone working on equipment after the crews had left for the night... or the weekend. Developed an iron clad habit of looking things over several times before starting work with an eye for things that could hurt/pinch/smash/trap/kill me if anything moved or went wrong. I was young and brave in those days but still, the thought that if I got stuck somehow it might be many hours or even a day or three before anyone would be close enough to hear or see me was pretty sobering. I still never trust a single safety prop or chain, stuff happens... fast! Gurus are usually pot smoking long haired bearded dudes in tie-dyed clothes that spout wise sayings in incomprehensible mumbles... they're supposed to taste like chicken, but I have found by the time you get all the c**p cleaned out of them, there's nothing left but skin, bones, and beads. :drinkup
Iantraxco, the Scraper (CAT435) is fitted with 2 bowl locks that work well, so Nicky is working in a fairly safe situation plus there is other staff around that would have given him trouble if things looked unsafe, you always use both bowl latches else the draught frame gets twisted, like you I spend most of my time working by myself as no one likes me? this does make you think about what happens next that you need to control, sadly I went into dream mode the other day and copped another whack from a "Safety Bar" needing a field dressing before dragging off the back wheels of the dumper by hand, I sort of wished I was a Pot Smoking beard sporting sort that day, but after a few hours things calm down and I start to laugh at how daft I have been, I dont think I would taste like Chicken though. always happy tctractors
Thanks for the advice tctractors. If I understand you right I may have to pull the clutches out again to do the top pinion & bearings? They felt good when I had it apart so I REALLY hope not. The clutches went bad because of a sticky steering valve & poor maintenance/operating by the previous owner. I like operating way more than I like fixing but I guess it comes with the game.
Hi lantraxo,I note your concern and I can assure you that both bowel locks were in tight and level.(as TC rightly says,they can be twisted and the weight can only be on one lock but in this case the 435G is in mint order and is resting on both).The D8 is also switched off and tracked into a muck windrow so it isn't going anywhere.The apron has a fence post jammed by letting the rope fly abit for good measure on both sides.It was actually difficult to sledge hammer them out afterwards.For good measure the ropes were then run up tight and the brakes were on at the winch end. To be fair,when old Bob the foreman came to see what was going on at tea brake he was blowing abit until he realised the precautions I had taken.I should have chucked some big timbers under it though.
TC,I hope you can still stick two fingers up at the world.My wife was curious to know how much sympathy you received from Mrs Coates.Did she treat you to a big steak dinner?
Twisted,I gather you haven't done any final drive pulling yourself as I myself haven't.I have worked with experienced fitters to pull quiet a few D6,D8 and D9 finals and although they make it look easy I respect that they are well used to doing it.You say you have no issues to tackle the job yourself and that a friend has the pulling gear to lend you.I have seen sprockets get a tad tight on the splines and if he is any friend at all,he will come and oversee you do the job correctly and not just lend you it.It's not as easy as it looks especially if all is not well with your finals and your engineering skills will come in handy.It will be worth a little extra money to get a seasoned hand to help you strip them out and,more importantly,tell you what parts can and can't go back together. I hope it's not too bad as in our country Komatsu breakdowns get mind blowingly expensive......I'm thinking your down payment idea is a good one especially if your tracks are well down.Sometimes a tractor is worth more to you as a breaker than a runner. Good luck
The last post is supposed to say......It ISN'T as easy as it looks........ I tried to correct it on the edit but it just printed the same again.
nicky 68a. I appreciate your concerns & advice. I'm currently looking at different dozers. I feel bad parting this rig out because besides the final drive it is in good condition. SALT undercarriage is in great condition and all new parts in the hind-end. I didn't mean to make the final sound like an easy job but I've knocked out some pretty big projects in the past. I worked as a factory maintenance supervisor in my previous profession & still do consulting when some of the local business get in over their heads. There is a D65PX-12 for sale a couple hours from me. It looks like the bottom is good but I wonder if any of the rails or anything are interchangeable with my older -8 dozer. I'll stop mucking up the thread with my issues & return the favor with some pics when I take some worth posting. Thanks, Twisted
Twisted, I fitted a steering pump to a D65E-8 the other day it cost around the £550 spot, this is about the same price also for a new transmission pump, the steering pump is facing forward the transmission pump is facing aft, so you have already done around the $1'500 mark on 2 pumps, the steering clutch thing I dont understand as they are very robust and need next to nothing doing to them, the steering valve block does wear out though and can be checked out by looking in through the blanking plate to the bevel gear and eyeing up the oil spill from the V/Block, if the tractor is up on its feet with everything else good I would sort out your bit of "Clatter" as those D65-12's will make you sick as a dog after any high hours ramp up, 8'000 hrs on 1 of these beasts is about as far as you need to head, after that spot you are due the big bill unless you are gifted with luck, the -12's are old tractors now so its all ex-Japan for the fancy bits, the -8's would run circles round them in build quality, the engine is to all intents the same lump (125) but the -12 back end is some cost to put right and worth nowt when done, so I would think its best to repair the -8 or scrap it and buy a CAT D6H/R and have something that will always be worth a few coins, -12 tractors in the U.K. are worth F.A. please post a few pic's and we will help you in any way possible to help you with anything you enquire, the last -8 F/Drives I did was around the time of our last Foot and Mouth (Cattle plague?) job they dont fail very often. tctractors p.s. Nicky, I showed the bride my wounded wing to only get a stone like look that told me I have been an idiot, as for steak dinners I am lucky to make my own Cup-a-Soup!
tctractors, After checking on the -12 series I came to the same conclusion as you. I bought this dozer a while back & had a nightmare trying to figure out all the issues in the steering case. The strainers & filters were plugged & bypassing. The case was full of old linings & other junk which was getting pumped through the system. The 'grit' scored all of the tiny valves & plungers in the steering valve. I priced one out but decided to spend a few hours on the lathe rebuilding it. All this debris in the oil caused a lot of other issues. The final straw was when the seals on both sides of the clutch went south & I couldn't turn. The friction plates measured 95+% so I reused them. The steels were less than half of the replace spec so they are new. I turned the brake drums & relined the bands. The spanner nut on the right side of the cross shaft slipped a thread and the cage slid over causing damage to more seals & bushings. Everything steel, cast or brass was built up & machined or a new piece was made. I found a good source for aftermarket replacement Komatsu parts and another place with a bunch of tore down machines but I thought they were a bit steep on price. I'll keep looking. Steering pump & main hydraulic pump ($ouch$) were replaced within the last 100 hours by me. I haven't touched the engine or transmission except for fluid changes & linkage adjustments. Starts unbelievably good. Shifts great. Strong pusher. No smoke. I'll go snap a few pics this afternoon while it's still on the trailer awaiting it's future. Left side is the one with definite issues. I can pick up a few shavings on the right side final case. I was planning on pulling both sides while it's tore down anyway. Good idea or waste of time? Should I start my own thread if I proceed or post the details & pics here. Don't want to hijack. Thanks, Twisted.
Just thought I would say that in this weeks Comercial Motor Magazine is a 4 or 5 page write up on the King Step Frame that I fitted the Fassi Crane to, I have not seen the mag yet but I am told that it Is a very good bit of script on a Custom Built bit of kit. tctractors
Nige, I wonder if you can help me. I have a customer overseas who has some Komatsu D8 and d65 and other heavy equipment.he is looking for the whole lot of hydraulic equipmernt to dismantle and assemble the undercarriages like the hydraulic pump,pullers,adaptors etc.Komatsu dealer cant help me.would do know where i can purchase this equipment >please help.my email is [email protected] and tel 9166072644.
Wanted Hydraulic equipment to disassemble and assemble Komatsu undercarriage urgently I have a customer overseas who has some Komatsu D8 and d65 and other heavy equipment. He is looking for the whole lot of hydraulic equipment to dismantle and assemble the undercarriages like the hydraulic pump,pullers,adaptors etc.Komatsu dealer cant help me.does anyone know where i can purchase this equipment >please help.my email is [email protected] and tel 9166072644.
Tony. I blocked the isle in ASDA for a full 60mins tonight thumbing thro' that one, no snaps of you though! I guess the shaven head/wrap around sunglass scene hasn't scooped you up yet .I spied too on the role of honour your tag was propping up the rest, an "editorial oversight" for certain lol... In all seriousness a good looking job you should be proud.........Phill.
Hi Phill, sadly? I was to busy to get in the snaps on this bit of script, but it was me going to all the meetings with Kings (Low Loaders) Design crew etc, I also spect' the engine and the R/Roth Pumps I had used Kawasaki Pumps on other builds, but this Banger needed more oil pressure and on a tandem drive Kawasaki could not cope with this loading, in the artical it says that the Company had been fitting their own Cranes for 20 years, the fitter is me and its a lot longer than 20 years, anyhow the job worked out very well with a neat look to it and a smothness of operation that is top draw, I would not think anyone else in the U.K. could beat it in its construction or ability to lift without drama, I can "Big" myself up some on this job as it takes some sorting for a "Thick U'n" like me. tctractors
Tc i sure wish you were on this side of the pond. My little 951b has lost all power/braking to the left track. There were no pops or bangs or loud noises so i hope it is nothing too serious. I was turning pretty gradual and had he pedal pushed in just to where the clutch was released but not far enough to where i was on the brake and when I let up on the pedal the track wouldnt pull in forward or reverse. Would you have any ideas. Also is there anyone in the St. Louis Missouri with the press tooling for the finals if it comes to that
Could I ask if the F/Drive has locked up unable to move or just not power driving? tctractors
It is just not under power it moves perfectly fine. When I mash the clutch/brake pedal all the way down it won't apply the brake either. It is just as if someone pulled the sun gear out of a planetary gear set
Very Dark Day on Monday 8th September Erwin Rhodes was killed at work, I dont know any detail but I must admit to being "Gutted" as what a Man he was 6ft 7" tall, probably the strongest chap I ever met, with a manner of a top gent, what this World can throw at you is sometimes hard to understand. So R.I.P. Erwin, totaly Gutted tctractors p.s. I had to post this here as I know a few of his pals read the odd bit of my script.
So very very sad TC i echo your great description of him ,my thoughts are with all the family and friends R.I.P Erwin
Tony, Sorry to hear it, sorry for your loss. It could happen to any of us, any day, so be careful out there. We're not meant to understand it I think, but may your God grant you some peace in the good memories you have. Be well, Lanway
Lanway, please may I thank you for your good thoughts, it seems now that the end for Erwin was a 240 volt water pump, I still dont know the full detail but to look a Erwin you would think a Tank would struggle to harm him, he had a very close family that always made me so welcome to be involved with, they worked hard and played hard and love anything yellow and made of iron, just the other month they came up to my local Steam Rally sort of mob handed all the men and all the sons, credit to them they also brought dozers scrapers etc and managed to leave a fair mark on the show ground site, it was a great time, so I am going to hang on to the memorys of this. Again thank you for your post it is thought highly of. tctractors
Sorry to hear about the loss of such a good friend my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends
Yair . . . tctactors . Yeah mate. We must always remember the good times. I understand your grief . . . I lost a good mate to a borrowed welder. It worked okay in the workshop but grabbed him when he touched it while they were working on a boat careened on a couple of feet of tidal mud. They had it set up on a pallet on a tarp but he was barefoot when he went to wind some amps on standing in the mud. Cheers.
TC sorry to hear about your friend. Why does it seem the nicest people are the ones to go first. Hang in there Buddy
My D6D in bits. 11070 original hours. Never been apart. RHS inner brg was gone but LHS was still ok and would have easily done another 2000+ hours. But being in this deep they were all going. So just a rebearing and swap gears side to side. New set of rollers and hopefully back to work soon. Was home made press gear to pull it off; but had the real stuff to press back on. last pic was her working ripping decomposed andesite rock 6 months ago; she did some hard work forestry roading plus dealing with stumps. Finals did fairly well.
Looks a good little job in hand Merv, dont forget to only use a welder to remove the bearings, is that 1 piece intermediate gears I see? oh and just a thought at this point I always pop out the E-Bar and build up the ends, then check for cracks and fit new rubber blocks to it as they are always worn out, the "Firm" (me by myself) have a few tractors in bits at the moment, I have a D8H with all the back case innards stripped down including the transmission into a heap of nuts and bolts, the top pinions out of the F/Drives with not even an oil pipe left in the case, I also have a LGP D4 in lots of parts F/Drive wise and a few swingers (excavators) looking a bit knackered as chunks of them are in bits, so things are good and still turning a coin, the good earner for me at this moment is Crushers, as I seem to have plenty of them around me that have had a good thrashing and need loads doing to them, plus the fact the owners dont understand how they should be running them, I think I have hit a Klondyke area, even the track chains (D5) seem to break easy as I get lots of link press jobs, I have a link and 5 bottom rollers to stuff in 1 on Tuesday so its onward and upward! good bit of cribbing Merv. tctractors
Geez TC; your going to have to start cloning yourself to get through all your work :notworthy Yes 1 piece pinion. Welded cups out, and cut cones with a cut off disc on a 4 inch grinder to get them off easily. Put new rubber pads in the equaliser bar, and the track frame rubbers will go this week, along with the rollers and track adjuster seals. Rollers on this machine had all the flanges trimmed back before I got it. They just fitted new chains to it at 7000hrs. and the rollers were original till now. they were absolutely stuffed. But were testimony to cat rollers as they were a full 30mm less in roller tread diameter than the new rollers !! :beatsme These sheds and concrete floors are great things too mate; especially as us fellas get older. Just needs a 'skyhook' and it would be perfect. Maybe if and when I win the lottery. Sheds not mine belongs to a mate; im just lucky enough to squeeze into it. cheers merv :drinkup
Shed, what Shed Merv, near all my jobs are in the "Big Shed" including the D8 transmission rebuild, those 1 chunk inter' gearsets are not the common thing to find now in the back ends of tractors, when I do find 1 it usualy puts me in a trance for a few min's of times past? oh and why do you need a shed? it is near always pissing with rain in the U.K. and I have to manage with a dirty towel, I cannot even say your location never mind spell it other than think its some Tropical hot spot that hardly gets rain in the morning then all afternoon like here, it all points to the fact that it must be crap in the U.K. the mechanics in the U.S. have service trucks with everything on board, in the U.K. I have a spot to put my Flask in and a few crap spanners in a dinky toolbox, I am 1 of the lucky sorts here anyhow to se you with all the comforts of Finning puts me feeling as sick as could be, I hope you know how lucky you are to have a tractor in bits under full cover and dont forget to check your tin guards on the sprocket as they are usualy worn out. tctractors
ohh; don,t worry TC we get rain, 40mm is last 24 hrs. I just don't like the stuff. waiting for rubber pads to arrive then into it 2moro. Yep have replaced the 3 tin gaurds over the duo cone seals. She was virginal inside, never been apart since birth, hence the one piece gear. so just turned them and they will see me out. Have always kept a eye on the preloads and oil changes. Have only ever run 50 oil in my finals. Plus with me driving, plus fixing and paying for it, helps to focus the mind how one operates machinery !! Cheers :drinkup
just a few snaps of rubbish I have been up to
some more pics
some more pics of stuff
and a few more for you
and a few more pics
and some more pictures
and here are the final ones
and one last one
Been taking it easy then? Wow, that's more work than I've done in the last year!
TC , lookin busy, what's the repair on the pegson? I just bought me one of those to rent out to customers looks to be in a bit worse shape than the one in your pics.....TIO
Stupidly these few snaps are just a few of the jobs i have done in the last month or so, the Pegson is only a small unit 20 something ton but good on tight sites and easy to transport, this little beast copped a new toggle plate etc, the plate is only light and I managed to throw it into the main conveyor by hand then use a pull lift to hoist it into place, the adaptor that Twisted needed on his Komatsu D65 is in 1 pic' the swing bearing was on a little Hitachi 140? or something like that, I have another 1 to do on a 20+ tonner in a week or so, the CAT D8 is getting its innards sorted, there should have been some Extec Crusher pics of 1 that I had pulled all to bits? they seem to have swapped place with double up pic's tctractors
What brand of undercarriage is on the Extec Tony..?
Nige, I dont know as all it has scripted onto the links is D5, the pins are a lot longer than the common D5 chain with the rollers on this beast (Extec C12 +) bolted in with 3/4 U.N.C. fasteners, the common thing is 18mm metric, the JCB excavator engine had spat the dummy out so I poped off the ballast to make things easy to get the engine out, the engine is a 4 pot Zoo' job with the overhead cam in a 20 odd tonner its not the best engine struggling to power the pumps. tctractors
I ran a 2005 JS 220 last summer for a couple weeks. Most miserable POS I've ever had pleasure of running save for a Case 880B.
The reason I ask is that we had a Fintec (now Sandvik) setup and their undercarriage were made by an outfit called Strickland who are from Pershore which is not a million miles from you. After a lot of false starts I actually managed to get hold of a manual for all the undercarriage made by Strickland including the Parts Listings. I was going to offer to mail it to you if it would be any good for the Extec.
Nige, the Stricklands Track Co' is only 7 or 8 miles from my billet, my CAT D7 tractor came from there as they used it to do any earth jobs on their land, I also had the scraper off them, anyhow the track side of the Co' was stopped a long time ago and they no longer do any running gear work other than the undercarrage sets for the likes of Crushers etc, their kit also gets stuffed onto lots of other makes not just Extec, in the past I knew just about everybody that worked at Stricklands, but things change and it would seem only 1 man (Bob Hemming) is the only face I know, they dont realy even have a service desk anymore, its all stuff done on phones and Web so the drop in customer is not encouraged, even if you phone them for undercart bits the hoops you need to hop through are a dog and a half, Stricklands used to be very good to me as I used to get all my track and G.E.T. stuff via there office, so over the years they would have had many £1'000's out of my Hide but I dont use this outlet anymore as I am to oilly to set foot in their space, so I will thank you for you very kind thought but I use Tractor Spares Willenhall to supply track chains etc they are very fast to sort my enquiry and dont muck about. tctractors
a couple of pics I missed from last time
TC, are those tires on the Volvo super wide? they look to be about 1-1/2 x's wide what normally is on a machine like that! Maybe on that Extec while the feeder is off have good plate welded over the grizzly and remove that bypass shoot and dirt conveyor all together? Some people have just broken to many rocks (with their heads) to understand how they're destroying there equipment.......TIO
TIO, the dumper I was told by the owner that it was an A25? anyhow when I landed at the site it changed into this chariot(A30?), the bushings were worn through to the beam so a bit of welding was needed, plus there is a modification to the centre pin and housings that swallows up "2 Large" fast (£2'000) as you might have spotted there is a big mound blocking the hopper??? its the common thing to see on sites, I dont bother trying to explain to people now about their limited ability to save themselfs damage and coins, so I need the coins more than they do, as for blanking off the fines hopper well for a start there is a lever to pull that does O.K. but its a good money earner for me to repair the damage. I love Crushers?? tctractors
It can be a fine line to walk. Teach them too much about how they are wrecking their equipment and you will be out of work. Don't teach them enough and in short order they will go belly-up from wasting money by trashing their equipment. A few times I have asked guys who make a living welding and line boring equipment if they are worried someone might find out what those little pimple like things are for at all the joints on the machines. To a man, they always just smile and say not a chance!
kshansen, the U.K. is a right backward part of the World in lots of ways, those little pimples usualy have paint on them from new, as for line boring work some years ago I nearly bought a fancy outfit for a fortune of coins, but my Bride sort of put me off the deal by simply uttering the fact that I had never needed this tooling before, as here they just beat in a new bush and weld it home, I have never needed anything line bored so the Bride was bang on, the customers with nowt' coin wise are the ones that grase stuff, the beggers with the Safe full of coins seem to not care less. tctractors
TC,stripped the D5H cannon out in no time and found bugger all wrong with the seal.This worried me but they took it back down the cut at 9.30am.It soon started creeping back and was back up top by 10am.They had checked the piston or whatever it's called but found nowt.They pulled it apart again for a proper clean and rubbed the dust out of their eyes! They found a tiny o'ring right at the back was fretted so it was back to work by 12pm.She has since worked an hour and it's remained solid so it's ready for work on Monday. Took the muffler off the D8 late last night to be welded.That was a pleasant job after it had been pulling a scraper all day since 6am and I now have 'Eminox' branded into my chest.I assume that engine will be ok with a straight stack???.Obviously I have run 2/3000 series D8's before with straight stacks,but this is a 4000 series compact fuel pump motor and I don't wantg to do ANYTHING to hurt it......I ran a D9G with a straight stack pushing 637's all day long.They 'treated' me to a muffler for it but it started getting hot so the fitter tried the straight stack back on it.It was sound after that.
P.S,The quarry is in red alert at the moment.........all the machines are breaking down....one of the Volvo 220's is parked up awaiting a spring in the seat,another Volvo 240 is standing awaiting a switch to work the aircon,a Cat 730 has a strange smell coming from the ashtray and a Cat 725 is leaking from the cap of the adblue tank..... Don't know what they'd do without them stinking old D8's chugging away?.I need you to fix the radio in that D8 you've got in bits.It's much more important than those steering clutches you're playing about with. Tommy sends his regards.
Since when? Inters/Dresser/Dressta always had planetary final drives.... Other manufacturers like Cat and Komatsu eventually copied what Inter did decades ago moving away from the dead axle design that required the expensive pullers... Years ago I helped pull a complete final drive assembly out of a TD-15B, it was quite simple to do..
RC, firstly thank you for taking the time to look at some of my job snaps and my line of verbs, I think Nige was realy talking only about the CAT built equipment, the D9G/H tractor although its a flat track (Low Drive) set up does have them little gears running about inside, I have worked on near all types of track type tractors so I am well versed on the innards of them, International kit I always found very easy to work on the same as yourself, 1 tractor the TD 24 (Beaver S/Boom) I was often amazed at its power under load due to its planetary hubs I feel than its engine grunt, I still love the hard to get in bits F/Drives Co's its what I can do easily, the planetary hubs are without doubt a real winner in so many ways but those dead shafts earn my corn, thank you again for your comments, I will look for a few pic's of Planetary hubs in bits to post up. tctractors
When Cats new D7E came out; the first thing I thought of when I saw it, was that the final drive and track frame design was a copy of IH,s TD20C from the 70s. Has to be a better design where all your blade loads go straight into the pivot shaft and all the planetary final drive has to do is transmit power. And even a better design on the bigger machines where its up out of the mud and water like the hi drive. Cats most bulletproof final drive; prior to the introduction of the high drive concept, imho was the D2. Have only once seen the inside of one of them, and then it was on a 933G that had a leaking inner seal. Pulled it all apart to check the gears and brgs and just put it back together with a new duo cone seal. Good pics TC; what are you going to do with all your coin ?????? Better use some of it one day to visit the southern hemisphere one of our summers, to get away from your cold English winters ! Come and have one of these :drinkup. And we even have fish and chips here too ! Cheers merv. D6 finally escaped from its shed
Merv, If I ever manage a trip (some trip) to your rock the only person I would want to see is you, nice double drive you have your critter mounted up on by the way, anyhow to be honest the piggy bank is on vapour as we have a Tax Man in the U.K. that needs my coins more than I do??? on the work front things are still flat out with D8 stuff and a line of swing bearings to change on slew excavators, plus it looks like I am back in the Bulk Muckshift game with a small team of 631/7 Scrapers to fettle so to be honest my life is as always as good as it could ever be, the down side is I miss the bride dearly when working away from home, sadly I dont think she is missing me? telling me to phone about a 1/2 hour or so before I come home, she tells me so she can cook food for me ready??? for when I hit home but its always Salad, I must admit its good to be working on Scrapers again the possible down side is they are G's with the oil pump injectors to the 3408's the back motors are still 3306 lumps that are very simple with no trouble to fix, they are 2007 built units with the mechanics on site keen and hardworking but know nothing of this type of kit, so it sort of makes me look good even though I am ugly, you cannot dream it up better. I hope you did all your bolts up tight? always happy tctractors
TC, you might want to tell the missus the butcher is more handsome than the green grocer, might get a bit of beef or mutton now and then? Old wrenches and old iron seem to go together, the younger techs can't find where to plug the lead in for the computer.
nice photos
TC; man has got to eat meat; washed down with this :drinkup The west was never won on salad :notworthy
Merv,I have told him about the salad deal before....still no steak offerings from Mrs Coates.He needs to have words with the wench. I like your D6 by the way.It's lovely.I only ever ran one D6 of my own.It was a 1966 83A series.Drove a few D series for other contractors but had lots of seat time in the H series tractors.I loved them. TC.don't forget the hitch switch in the dig!
Nicky, these 631-7 G's have all that crap on 1 stick, just little t#ts to press your thumb on its all a little like useing the Brownings on a Spitfire without shooting anything? the Diff lock is a little button for your right foot to hit on its nothing like the first series of 631's oh and the CCU has been swapped for rubber pipes I suppose it saves all that faffing about with the cable saver? anyhow back to the food thing as by some marvel the bride managed to cook up a Steak dinner last night, hers was cooked in a Griddle pan and looked top draw, I think mine was done in the little square thing that goes "Bing" after about 30 seconds as it was best descibed as interesting but not something I want to ever taste again, a bit like a Brussel Sprout. tctractors
a few pics
some more pics again
and some more pics
a few more snaps
and some more
A few verbs to help the snaps, the Komatsu's needed a few jobs done, the little CAT shovel is 1 of my toys that I have fettled up from a Rough Un' dont ask me about the hours I have wasted on it, the Hitachi EX200 copped a new bearing in its middle bit, I have been doing 1 bearing job a month of late, the green thing (engine) is a V20 gas generator power unit running on the Miller Cycle as opposed to the Anderson or Otto Cycle, I never touched the beast with a spanner but it was worth a snap, the noise this engine makes is fearfull loud with ear muffs needed, the bevel gear and transmission are CAT D8H bits, the Scrapers are 631/7's that I have been working on, the JS200 excavators are both getting undercart fettle up's. tctractors p.s. forgot to say about the gunge coming out of the CAT D6D engine, well it should be Anti-Freeze in that spot instead of the jollop, caused by the transmission cooler failing, the gunge looks quite tasty??
That pic showing the oil cooler, is the water jacket supposed to be filled with bearing grease like that on that engine????????????
How you getting on with the new-fangled electronic engines in the 631/637's Tony..? You went all quiet for a while ...........
Good luck cleaning that gunk out of the D6D. We had a 988H that was almost as bad. Can't remember how many times we filled and drained that system using various kinds of soap. Last two coolant samples came back with high total hardness 201 and 179 ppm. Guess I going to have to flush with straight water a couple more times. Problem is shop water supply is it self on the hard side, drill a hole in limestone and guess that's what you get. Maybe I'll have to set out a rain barrel to catch some soft water.
You made me look up that one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle Guess it could be summed up crudely as compress with blower, cool it down, then compress some more with the pistons. Could not find reference to "Anderson Cycle"
The Atkinson Cycle was developed in the 1880's or around that spot, it is now used in fancy cars as a way of complying with emission control, its now common to find camshafts with a double lift lobe EGR control, the thing is nothing is new with these variations on the theme of suck squeeze bang blow, with the lead lag and overlap of valves being the main thing. On the Scraper front things are shut down some at this point due to the amount of fluid falling from the sky, but things can change fast so I am looking forward to a load of work in freezing conditions soon? tctractors p.s. on the gunk in the engine thing, I use Persil washing up liquid to help things with around 6 flush outs to sort things, the Rad was solid full with the stuff so it was a mess to clear. p.p.s. I had a "Beer Moment" with the Anderson-Atkinson thing its possibly due to the rain also as I had a right soaking yesterday pressing in track pins. sorry?
No problem! A good IPA can help make a bad day fade away! Try to stay dry. Any day now we are going to start trying to run the quarry with the white stuff coming down, lots of fun at times.
Found this bit during the repair of a track adjuster on a d5h lgp series 2.dont remember stripping it out and it was slatheted in grease so must of slid out of cannon or track frame.couldnt see anything in parts book and dont have service manual to look at.Reluctantly decided to put it back together.drove it about for 20 minuits on the haulroad and it seems fine. Will see what this week brings
Rotation lock plate innit? I can't recall where it fits, but I think it's supposed to be in there
Nicky, that little plate thing rings no bells with me inside a trackframe, the bit with the grease in is held in position by 2 lug plate with 2 bolts in each plate, the next bit is the big chunk of bar that goes in the thing with grease, the you move on to the big spring bit thats trapped up with a gland with a big washer thingy behind it, at the other end of the spring is the chrome bit with a wheel attached to the very end, so that bit needs putting in the box of other bits that might be handy, I did think it looked like a part off a transmission brake in a truck G/Box ???
Ah,Tony,there was a Volvo A25 parked next to it that the fitters were at the day before.I don't know what was up with it but judging by the scrubbed up stone under where the tyres were they were steering it about with the brakes on for some reason.I will enquire.When I took the cannon out of the D5,I rolled it about the yard a fair bit to warm myself up abit before removing the worn idler.Perhaps it stuck to the idler in all the grease and I have just presumed it came off the dozer?? I allways clean up the area after a strip down and chuck any old bits or gaskets and seals etc in the bin.Tend to find half buried spanners!
Just last week dropped the belly pans off a D6D to do some work and when the foot of dirt was cleaned out found an almost new looking 9/16 Snap-On wrench(spanner). I wasn't mine but have found two in the last year or so! Another good source of tools is the valley of V-8's or V-12's!
Tony,you should pic the lotto numbers,I asked Bob today if any dumptrucks had been tinkered with next to the D5 park.He said one of them had suffered brake problems and it was stripped down.So,it looks like the 'fitters' had stripped and repaired it and just chucked the old bits on the ground.I took the bloody cannon out again because of that part.Would be nice to shove it up the fitters hole. The Volvo 210 (2012 model) 5500 hrs has blown the slewing pump and slew ring.It had a new motor at 4000hrs and it's driven by a good man that looks after it. That d8 seems sound.
Just thought I would post a thing on some Cat stuff thats possibly of interest at- bostonpowercat.com -you will need to print it as I dont know how to do things flash, its worth looking at ? tctractors
great TC hope to see it in the flesh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_aw53Ni1M&index=1&list=UUSPKKsOJmksnTZ8Nji77QWw
That's probably the cleanest that machine has been since it left the factory! Would love to know the history of the work it did over the years! And how many gallons of paint did it take to cover all that steel?
Nicky, I have just twigged what that plate gizmo is that you found thinking it was off your D5, its the plate that goes before the hub nut on a Volvo axle, so I suggest you hand it over to the owner as he might be needing it soon?? The 666 needed 50 imperial Gallons of paint to smarten it up, but we have worked out it can burn 32-36 imp Gallons of fuel an hour with the boot stuffed into it.
Would that be a dead axle, not a drive one Tony?
overworked, I dont think I have seen any non drive axle lines on any Volvo dumpers for around 15 or 20 years here in the U.K. the planitary hubs are built up on 2 taper roller bearings, these arefollowed up on the outer axle end firstly with a washer (like Nicky found) then a fancy nut that is torqued and degree set, then there is a lock plate (1 of 2 possible to fit) then a retainer holds things in place, it is possible that the brake caliper is now keeping the wheel in place on the dumper???
very nice 666.Lots of effort and money goes into preserve a machine like that.Fair play.It's great.
We just did some a25d's and the nut is up against the hub. No washer.
Looking at the washer I don't think axle would fit through it buy the size on the paper background.
overworked, that sort of explains the reason the washer was thrown in the dirt I would think?? always happy. tctractors
Yep, if I was working there it would drive me crazy what it is for, kinda is now, maybe someday we will know? Keep smiling.
Spoke to one of the truck op's today and one of the A25's has been suffering a banging and clattering noise around the steering area under the cab.It had been stripped next to the D5 and it's assumed that the plate came from it.The truck is around 9000 hrs and is under a r&m contract from Volvo.They have 'repaired' it three times now and it's still banging.The driver mentioned the plate that I found but the fitters didn't even want to look at it and reakon they don't loose bits........The driver reakons they have stripped it a couple of times and not cured it so yesterday they fitted a new bearing to it?
got this in for a bit of an overhaul.It's in better shape than it looks.Getting new tailgate plating,tyres,cutting edges and less paint than that 666 that TC has just completed.The cutting edges I use Cat,the centers are the heavier 22mm thick by 408mm deep type.Nice and heavy.A question,I have done edges on 463's TS14B and TS24B scrapers many years ago and can't remember if the center edges are split into 2 edges.Can't imagine me being able to chuck a 657 center edge on without me spinach!
Say Tony,I checked out that link that you sent me and left a comment,I am so far behind on all the posts and just knowing that they exist with all those pics is like porn to me,I have to live a long time now to get caught up on things and I can see that there have been more contributors that have joined in my absence.....I will never get caught up here.lol.Ron G
some pictures of my nonsense
and a few more pictures of mine
some more pictures
and here's the final one
As usual a few verbs to tuck along with the snaps, the 666 is just about to be started up and taken for a spin up the road, no body seems to thing its strange to see this happen in the area?? then we come to the Extec Crushers 1 x C12 1 X C12+ both needing new jaw stock and both blocked up with muck, oh and both with damaged side conveyors, the amount of weight from the muck cause's all sorts of drama to take place and is a Bear of a task to put right, the little PAT Blade dozer with a red thing dangling I was told had a blade that would only lift? in my past experience this is usualy due to a ball check (resolver) issue with things being a fiddle and messy to sort, anyhow it was only the tilt in trouble due to a wire in 2 bits, so other than the frost it was an easy fix, the 631's now have a stable mate in a 14G VHP Grader, the task on the Scrapers is still servicing/fettling and Nitrogen gas charging the necks up, the bonus is I see the grader has 2 low pressure (400 psi ) gas cylinders on its frame, its lucky (For Me) that I have the gizmo to charge them. tctractors p.s. RonG, dont think that I am the young strapping critter in the 666 snap thats Carl the pilot.
You couldn't store all that knowledge in a frame that young Tony.Happy New Year.Ron G
The 666 leaves me verbally incapacitated! Old 435 is starting to take shape
since these pics were taken I have fired some decals onto it,matching front tyres and half deacent tyres on the back.It's currently getting the tailgate welded up with some plate.Some of the fairleads will get the rope guides welded back on. TC,that D6N I mentioned to you 3 years ago with the blade acting the goat still suffers the same problems.It's nearly allways broke down or 'not right' with drivers jacking all the time and it's just been off hired again due to downtime on the blade issue.The man landed in my yard just before Christmas asking for advice about the problem(again)I reminded him that his fitter, that costs him £100 a day, is not quite the 'bargain' he seems and pointed out that he has got what he's paid for.He mentioned you,but I imformed him that you're around the same price as you were 3 years ago when he first enquired about you and that it was unlikely you'd become any cheaper.He replied something about 'not paying that' and it was the last thing he'll ever say to me in my yard as my patience ran dry at that moment. Anyway,Mondays job is a little welding job on a D5 eq bushing.Pics to follow
tctractors,thanks for PM Tony. Glad I asked,it would take days to find my way back here. Happy New Year. Ian
Blk, I am realy happy that you took the time to peep into my little World, please keep in mind that any time I can sneak off work I spend it re-building my own CAT Iron, (Its sad realy but I like doing it) Nicky, the 666 is a fine chunk of Iron with the Video's on bostonpowercat.com a good bit of fun with plenty of "Gun Smoke" dont forget there is 2 666's parked in the paddock so the fun is to come, the down side is the amount of Vimto (red fizzy pop) these chariots can suck down the fuel pump, we think its able to snort 35+ gallons per hour, plus if you push it with at least 2 D9's thats another 30 gallons an hour, so muck needs to fly as on a good shift this would see off around 2 1/2 large just in Vimto (£2'500 on rebated fuel) anyhow good to see you are still tinkering with things. tctractors
Was he the guy who said "he wouldn't be charging that" when you were talking about the price to move a yard of dirt these days?
Yair . . . Check Break. Nope. As I read it the guy paying his fitter a couple of hundred pounds a day and not having his issue fixed was jacking up on paying tctractors his rate to fix the problem. Cheers.
Scrubby, this man has a service mechanic that he coughs up around the £100 mark a shift to but the fault seems to be not resolved, (thats a play on those Resolver valves) the valve block has umteen little ball check valves in it that direct the spool comand flow, (Pilot) these little ball things that cost only a few coins seem to plague some dozers usualy caused by crap service work, sometimes the little balls are missing never to be found? anyhow some times the problem needs someone with a touch more gumption to dive in and sort things, but if the owner is not willing to pay the Monkey the coins needed, he needs to rub the belly of his service man untill by some fluke he manages to resolve (that another play on the resolvers) this blade control issue, 1 thing is for sure I have enough work for 8 days a week, so I would think the job needs the owner to fix it himself. tctractors
Hello Tony. Should you have time. You may be interested in a few of my pictures. Go to HEF then to Forestry Equipment. Open this site,go to page 03 and half way down the page you will see Crown Zellerbach. If you start on pg 13 you will see a few Cat Truck pictures. We uesed these on off highway logging. Further along on pg 23 pic 333 is a picture of yours truly with last new Pacific in 1980. Hope you enjoy. Ian
Blk Prince, I am impressed beyond verbs, I have done Heavy Haulage at times in the U.K. and into Europe, this is with Foden's Scammell.s Volvo's and Scania as traction, I did have my own 980 Diamond T Tank transporter (Prime Mover) but also I have pulled an amount of round timber from Forest to SawMill in my moments, sadly the butts look like sticks to some of the big growth timber you have on your patch, the Pacific and Hayes outfits would be held like Emeralds by the Heavy Haul Fans here in the U.K. to see them cut up, dumped with wheels off and bits robbed off them makes me sick to my boots, if I was on your patch I would be bringing life back into some of those chariots constantly, for the work they stood up to and as a testament to the hard graft put in just to put timber on its back, make no mistake I would be fettling those beasts constantly, History soon becomes just something your Grand Parents talk about or you see the pictures, the history of Men and Machinery needs to be something in the solid that the future generations can experience, if more effort was put into doing some of these chariots up instead of rather poor TV shows about what often seems idiots loose in the growth or on daft looking boats, but probably I am on my own here so its best I clam up. Good Stuff tctractors
Tctractors,you are not alone in your thoughts sir. Closing of plants,sites and companies is a real sore spot with a lot of my friends,co-workers and myself. Too much good stuff turned into scrap. But this is not the purpose of this site so I go in peace.lol
Blk Prince , and TC I fully agree with you, though I am new to the timber industry equipment it just makes me sick to see them unconcerned scrapping equipment. While I was there last summer they the scrapper were having a big old time cutting up valuable equipment. I almost tried to buy some of it to save it, but where I would of put it. They were going to scrap an excavator, type tree loader because the motor was worn out. They even pay the people to come scrap some equipment, what the blazes is wrong with them. A lot of this equipment can't be replaced as no one make it, I guess I just don't understand. But do know it makes me sick inside to see it happening.
Dirty4fun,hello there. Nice to hear from you. Want to wish you a Happy New Year. Perhaps you will make a return trip in 2015.
It would seem all the real Hard Nut round timber men are sat in 6 bits of wood in the U.K. I used to often work with the Timber Boys and some pleasure it used to be, it would seem that after these timber fallers made a few coins usualy pulling out butts with Horse teams, they bought tracked anything to do the job faster, this leading them on to tackle Land Clearance for new roads and construction, now the timber industry here is very well controlled by a Commision with timber falling very machine done with hardly need to use a hand chainsaw, this is in general but obviously we still have a few Wild Men about, a man from about 15 miles from me still pulls round timber using a Volvo F88 tractor unit and an open bolster trailer, even the chainsaw he uses is from the 1960's (Danarm DD8F) this man is a well known and well liked chap that would seem to be born in the wrong era, the World needs these sort of people like Mr Carmichael to help keep the image from fading. p.s. blk, what weight was that Maddell claw humped up on the trailer. tctractors
BLK prince, there is no perhaps, unless something changes I plan to return in 2015. Only this time I am hoping to spend more time on the island. I had started a job when I came out that was stopped by the county due to the home owner not having the correct permits. I hurried my trip as he had told me he would have the correct permits the middle of the month. Well as of December he still doesn't have the correct permits, so I hurried back for nothing. Well I always have work but I didn't like leaving a job unfinished. I so enjoyed meeting some of the most friendly people I have ever met, and so willing to share their knowledge. That along with some beautiful country and very big machines, lure me back. One day I would like to go to England and meet TC and see some of his work, and tour the country side.
Probably Check Break.allways working for pennies. Good luck to him.each to their own
tctractors,that unit on the lowbed,the yellow one ,is a Madill Grapple Yarder. This one weighed about 140 tons. All cut up now,scrap. It is a unique machine as the only one with the cab on the left hand side. These machines took away 4-6 jobs from steel towers. 3men worked on this machine.
Blk Prince, Its sort of hard to get the scale of the Madell Claw jigger, possibly due to the chariot parked underneath it, but at the 140 U.S. Ton? with a jib hitting the clouds we would have to move that mount on an early Sunday morning spot in the U.K. ( the Traffic Police like a long Breakfast on Sundays), the heaviest all up load (Gross) I have shifted was around the 165'000 kgs I could have used Ton but ours are worth more that the U.S. jobs 1 ton = 2240 lbs imperial this load was an engineering chunk on the back of a Goldhoffer+Foden outfit and I was about 25 yrs old, the Foden had what we call turn down Axles to put the hubs into deep reduction, a 12 speed Foden Gearbox and a Cummins big cam poking smoke, in this deep axle reduction the top speed was around 34 mph but I used to keep things going at around the 28-30mph in the Sweet Spot, it seemed to me that no hill could kill that outfit as it had the most superb gearbox that many failed to master, lucky for me I was schooled by a Foden master that used to swear and hit me with his rolled up news paper (Hard) for the 2 weeks he was up along with me untill I was the master of the Beast, looking back I had a cracking time. blowing it on tctractors
tc,these units are not permitted on our public roads. The lowbed truck has a Detroit V-12 Diesel engine with a 6speed Allison automatic transmission. Empty truck would have a max. Speed of 47mph. On the main haul road this unit would have an empty truck following to push up any hills then as truck enters the gravel roads another truck would be pulling on the front and a caterpillar would push on the rear. The speed of the cat pushing would set the pace for climbing up the mountainside.
tctractors,well less than 4hrs left in this year for you. Have a good nite and a very good 2015. We may meet.Happy New Year.
Blk prince, its been a frosty time the last few days I must admit it takes some sticking wire brushing frost and ice off Crusher parts, so lets firstly hope the Winter is not a test on Men and Machinery, tonight I had Haggis for dinner so the tummy is full and I am staying Home with the Bride, so you might say I am living the Dream, so it is with the Best Thoughts that I wish you and your family and every one on this Forum the Finest New Year. tctractors tummy full and glass full what more could I need, Happy New Year
Back in the day I got a brand new 1968 Mack DM800 with a 12cy Jeager mixer on it and we could not get the Maxidyne yet,it was too new so it had the 250 and a quadruplex and the top speed on the hgwy was 47mph......I used to coast down the hills when I could to keep up with traffic.Ron G
Old saying,"Goes good downhill" lol
I'm a lot younger than some of the folk here but I cut my teeth in a 1979 Scammel Crusader with (I think) a 290 Rolls Royce and a 10 speed Fuller box that had 4th and 5th back to front. It also had deep reduction in it. It was an ex British Army tow truck. Foot throttle gave 48 but you could squeeze a little more if you gave the hand throttle a nudge That was empty of course! It could smell a hill!
Slidey, the first Truck I was put in the pilot seat of was a Scammell Trunker (Ex Shell BP) 6x2, then it was the Crusader 6x4 with a RR followed by a Crusader 6x4 with an 8V92 series Detroit, this truck was Ex Heanor Haulage (I Think) and was in top nick, the exhausts had been stuffed upwards in 142 (Scania) style and the bride could hear me coming home from about 6 miles out, this was hooked upto a King low loader 3 axle if I am right shod with 1'000x 20 rubber, so the spare wheel sets fitted the whole outfit, I took this trailer back to Kings (Market Harborough) to have the Neck uprated, this involved having bigger pins welded in place to lock the neck in the standard ride position, it had the wide deck something around the 9ft spot the standard width then was 2.500mm max, the traier had no steering hubs and was a right long deck with a Lister engine (2 pot) on the neck to power the hoist,stinger and a winch, this winch I sometimes used to drag sideways the empty outfit into tight sites with the use of a sheave block and a bit of cunning, coming out of these sites was often 10 times easier than reversing into them, the Detroit Scammell had all the toys, bits of rag on the mirrors, the front tow pintle had a bucket dangling, it also had a thicker (Deeper) chassis than the RR unit, I think it was rated around the 120 or 150 ton spot but to be loaded over 80 ton gross was not the common thing, but I did drag some heavy Quarry kit into the Forest of Dean area with it at times. tctractors p.s. the Detroit chariot had a 16 speed fuller box fitted so the clutch was used on the start off then it was easy shift (1 foot off the gas) it also had a Jacobs Brake saver that let you hammer down hills.
I no little about the unit but the 8v92 makes my heart go pitter patter.
sure it was a 92 series Tony ?? A lot of crusaders made there way down here in the 70s, but all had 8V71 power, overdrive 15 speeds and hub reduction diffs on a big 6 rod suspension. A lot were used on logging work. You could certainly hear them coming, before you saw them !
Merv, there was plenty of construction kit banging about with 3-4-6 and 8 V71 motors, this Scammell Crusader had the 8V92 motor poked into its loins, I did once meet another driver that had a family member work in the Heanor Haulage workshops, he told me that they used to re-power lots of their toys with Detroit engines, I could say that I was also told that the truck had Sister's with the same poke, in all fairness nothing I have ever driven had poke like that truck, you could easily spin the drive line loaded at our orbital road junctions, the last big job I did on a Detroit was a 16V71 with turbo's and blowers, the 16 cylinder is realy just 2 V8's poked into a bedplate, the 12V71 is unit built and I do know my way around the 71 in line and V form series, I might be in some dream somehow but it was not the 71 series, I think the Horse Power was around the 400 area it was heaps of beans at the time, compaired to the trucks today Scania has 730 soon to be increased to 760/80 Volvo tabs out 750, oh I did not comment on the fuel the Crusader could push down, it could manage around 5 or 6miles to the gallon (Imperial) but once the boot was stuffed in around the 4 was good. tctractors the gear boxmight have been 15 but if the 16 speed unit was about then thats what it had, there was a Foden with a 450 3406 CAT that had the same set of cogs that I sometimes drove.
tctractors,in my pictures of the Pacific Log Truck on page 23,that truck was the only one we had with a 16V71.
Was the 8V92 factory; or a transplant ??
It think if you can translate the TC speak, he said it was a repower/transplant
Merv, Heanor (Heavy ) Haulage is a long standing Company from up north some, they used to repower or order new built trucks with Detroit power units as a stock build from what I have seen tonight on the web, the Company still trades but I think the trucks are Factory Spec Built due to the laws, I have driven a Volvo FH16 running at 690 hp that was a Factory custom built item ( Holland Factory) the chassis was all bolted with no rivets, the extra poke was from an engine mod and remap, the only transport Company now building their own tractor units in the U.K. is A.L.E. they need custom built items for their Global operation and like to keep things under tight control, the 8V71 was often seen in the Bedford TM range, the V8 in the Crusader would spit them out all day, credit to the engine it was always willing up against its work with the range and split box it could impress, the Bride hated the outfit totaly, as it always managed to have a wheel change moment when she rode in the thing, sadly my son was not born then as he would have loved it, all he ever rode in is Scania 143-500's. tctractors. p.s. the deeper chassis rails was always an odd thing, that had to be Factory?
I think the most fun ride I ever had was a long nose Brockway with a 318 in it with a 3 stage jake coupled to a 10 speed RR pulling a 35 ton Rogers lowbed.Of course I used to work all day running whatever was needed and after coming in to the shop I had to start moving equipment for the paving crew to get them ready for another day.Such is life when you are handy I guess.I used to move two things at once whenever I could,you could move a dozer and backhoe on it at the same time without being over width too much if you were careful to plan your route properly.As Tony said,you could hear me coming for miles.Ron G
Used to drive a Foden 4400 series for a mate with a 3406B @ 400 hp. Hell that thing could pull like a schoolboy. She was low geared though with a 15 speed and 4.89 diffs. 90kphr was flat out Never had anything else that growled and bellowed and pulled like her. My terrain is all steep and hilly, grades up to 15% and a lot of gravel roads too. Was on a job carting gravel once loaded to 45000kg, only truck that could keep up with this old girl was a Mack with a 454 hp motor.
Merv, this Foden with the Cat 3406 was a 3 axle unit 6x2 rear tag, and used to mainly transit Europe, Turkey, Spain, Italy etc on top work, it ended up in the Kangaroo Zone though, well bits of it did as it was sold to a local round timber haulage man who had it stolen after about 2 weeks (David Whitehead Stroud) the next thing I was to hear about the Foden was from the local CAT dealers parts manager, as he had detail of the engine Serial No coming up from the odd spot with a parts inquiry, this was soon followed with the Police Force asking me for paint colour and detail, then they showed me a few small parts that I easily recalled from the Foden, it seemed the Truck was stolen, cut up and bits flogged off/ Exported within 2 months of it being sold to the timber man, oh and the "Steal U'm Fast" gang all being caught, sadly we dont do that Convict Export thing anymore, this was the last Foden I have driven as Foden has gone by the way of the Angels now. tctractors. p.s. the Foden had the 2 position Jackobs engine brake fitted, but the anti stall switch was not fitted, I found this out coming down the Alps in the winter, it still makes me sweat some to think about it, lets just say I nearly ended up going the short cut, God loves me thankfully.
tctractors,aha Tony. Is seems that one can go to any part of this vast world and get the thrill of the"ride of silence" Ian.
aye, tiz no fun when the fire goes out. the fodens sold quite well in NZ. Seems paccar dropped them to push the DAF line here. KW is super well established here too.
Blk prince and Merv, I was heading home from Italy over the Frageurs (I cannot spell that) with an out of gauge piece, the view over the side of the Mountain (Alps) would scare plenty of drivers, its littered with wrecked up trucks that failed to stay on the road, the brain on myself was half asleep with the Jake switched on No2 (full) the bends in the road were fearfull, stupidly I had to steam on the brake pedal coming upto a pig of a bend, the jake stalled out the engine faffing up the steering, Heart etc, in seconds I had re-started the engine twice on the key only for it to snuff out in seconds, I quickly flicked off the Jake then re-lit the motor and somehow made it around the bend with the trailer using only half of the wheels on the tarmac, this control error needed a pull over to firstly stop my shaking and then to check the load, after a few gulps of freezing air I woke up sharpish and behaved myself on the rest of the trip home. tctractors
Look after yourself TC. your one of the people I would like to have a chinwag and whiskey with in life, somewhere down the track of life anyway !! One of us will have to win lotto; but at least if you come down to the bottom of the world to visit me, your pounds will multiply, whereas my pitiful pacific pesos will half if I visit you All the best to you and the 'firm' and bride too !! for 2015
I also drove a nice black long nosed KW with a 400hp Cummins for a few years with a 50 ton lowbed and it had a single cylinder diesel engine in the gooseneck for the hydraulics.The engine was made in Portugal as I remember.We used the tractor for our Fruehauf dump trailer too so could have plumbed the trailer up that way but never got around to it.I have also made some stupid mistakes over the years buy cannot match the stuff I am reading here.I led a sheltered life I guess.Ron G
This talk of TC driving in the Alps reminded me about a driver we had hauling a 120 Hough loader who had the truck get away from him on one of our hills, nothing like the Alps but enough to scare him good. He did manage to stay on the road but truck had some problems when they towed it to the shop for us to fix. Driver said he tried down shifting the Mack Triplex but was not able to get it to go in gear. I had to disagree with him on this as the weld seam on the drive shaft looked like the strip down the side of a candy cane. Then there was the case of the clutch facing that exploded right off the disks. Next were all the bent valves in the engine with matching dents in the pistons. We replaced the pistons and valves in engine and after installing the heads went to set the valve clearances. While turning engine over to start at TDC on #1 noticed a "snapping" sound. That's when we noticed that it was from valves sticking open, but not due to guide clearances but instead from the lifters sticking in the block. As this Mack engine has the mushroom type lifters the only way to remove them is pull the cam. Fun job with engine in frame! After pulling cam managed to get the lifters to come out with a little tap. Problem was these lifters had an oil hole down the center that intersected with a cross drilling for the oil for the push rods. The violence of the overspeed had managed to slightly crush the lifters at this cross drilling just enough to cause them to bind in the block. Replaced lifters and reassembled the engine and it actually was good from then out.
kshansen, what a mess up that engine ended in, my little drama was all very slow speed as the engine revs dropped sow low the Jacobs Brake snuffed out the engine, there is an anti stall control that should be fitted to stop this, or a driver that is not nearly asleep to man up to the job, the Alps are best described as a good Hill so coming down it without an engine running, no compressor working and no power steering makes 15mph seem more fun than you need, the routes over or through the Alps now are very easy, all the big climbs and drops are a lot less aggressive, also the trucks have near twice the power and inbuilt safety, but the Alps are still a good hill to pack an Elephant over. tctractors
tctractor, Sounds like stories my late dad used to tell about the days back in the late 40's early 50's when he drove trucks here in the east part of the USA. Said it was common practice for drivers running empty to pull up behind loaded trucks on hills and give them a push up the hill. And another time he had to bring a truck and trailer back from out of state with no brakes, he was running with another truck from the same outfit who would use his truck to hold my dad's truck back on the hills. After a few years of that he got out of the truck driving business. Later in the late 70's he said if he knew they would have roads like the Interstates we now have over here he would have stayed driving trucks.
Might there have been two at this point??
Shimmy, If I recall I was To Scared to **** myself, besides its not a good thing to do in the Cab. tctractors
It was like a suction cup to the seat, eh?
Aye, I always remembered after the panic was over that everything seemed to snap tightly shut, rather than the opposite!
Say Tony,are those 666 vids on Bostonpowercat supposed to have sound or are they just videos?They are sure fun to watch,I feel young again.Ron G
RonG, the bostonpowercat.com videos are full of sound and "Gun Smoke" turn the volume up full to get the bark from that front V8, the 343 poked in the back makes some fair tune as well, possibly the next Video of the 666 will be getting push loaded via 10 CAT D2's in a double row 5x5 with a CAT D4 ready to help out if we have to "Up-Hill Load" the pickup truck video is also a natty bit of camera action when the big sucker starts up under the archway, Carl the pilot of the 666 is not against poping up the road in it (666) just to keep things oiled up, the marval is the locals think its normal and just pull over in their cars as he blows past at around the 35mph spot (In a 30mph Zone?) so stick up the volume. tctractors
I will try it again,I sure thought that I had my sound cranked up the last time.That road train of push cats ought to sound purty good too.Ron G
RonG, dont you worry we have the implement nearly ready that will poke a bit of dirt in the 666's belly, there is a 631B stiff neck donkey start Scraper also to play with when things get going, its got my magneto on it does that technicaly make me a part owner??? this scraper was chosen because of the "In Seat Starting" its something thought good to have in the U.K. and for its age the scraper runs like a new mount, the 631B series scraper was the first scraper I ever spotted with the Gas Neck (Larry Webb Northleach By-Pass) the fitter working for him was called Up Shift, I was just a young blade sort of getting in on the Bulk Muck game, I go to sites now and see the Muck Shift dummys thinking they are doing well, it nearly makes me want to poke my eyes out sometimes, as all the tricks I had knocked into me on moving Muck seem to be totaly the opposite to the way things are usualy seen being done in the U.K. I get told its a different game now, well games are for young kids, not making the most money out of moving dirt ??? tctractors
Can't wait to see it in action,especially since you are part owner now.I trained on scrapers too in the army but we only had the pull scrapers behind a D8,the self propelled jobbies were just a glint in the eye of the engineers at that time I think. I didn't operate scrapers too much over the years but the last one I ran was a Michigan integrated with a 16cy Hancock scraper and powered by a 6V71 with the two stacks practically dumping into the cab there,what a sweet sound it was. I liked the design of the Michigan end of it with the fuel tank as part of the front bumper.I moved it over the road from the last job it ever worked on as the company folded shortly after I left them and I later shot a pic of it where I parked it in the weeds.You can see that old Bantam 366 parked behind it too,it also had a 6V71 in it.Ron G
Speaking of the Alps TC.this thing had the rear hatch up.men were looking at the driveline with sunglasses on chewing on dead Malboroughs
631 B's with cussing hitch?.we're they retro fitted or factory.Allways thought the C ' s were the 1st
Hi Nicky, firstly the Work Force look ready for more fun Snowman building, anyhow the first gas necks could be ordered on the 631B series scraper, as I said Larry Webb had the very first units in the U.K. working on the Northleach By-pass (Nr Cheltenham), Carl would not be interested in anything so flakey as soft ride, he is not a big lover of direct electric starting on his kit, the in seat starting he thinks is about as soft as things need to be, the 631B has the 9 speed transmission 3x3 and you have never lived untill you try to adjust the starting engine clutch without the CAT service tool, its a thin rod with a bend and a forked prong at the non handle end, with this gizmo (I have 2) it takes but a few moments to set the clutch, without it a weekend goes no where, Carls chariot is a cracking mount that realy makes you feel that the 631A's came from a strange land far off with all that cable drama. hope things are good and the Family are well. tctractors
tctractors,you have been very quiet for too many days. Why is that?
Blk prince, the "Firm" that is me by myself have been a bit flat out on crap jobs, the temps are up and down with lows of -8 degs then milder spots with rain firing out the sky, so for a Donk' like myself working in the Big Workshop its been the opposite to fun, the other day I had to fix a heater unit in a JS220 excavator, I had the heater unit fixed and back in place but the seat was defeating me some due to the hands being numb with the temp, then I had the brainwave to fire up the engine and stuff the heater on full beans, yes I am that thick it takes a few moments for the brain to spark up, within 5 mins the cab was getting toasty with the hands now able to grip a nut and bolt the seat was soon stuffed home, then I have been trying to weld up a Grissly Feeder off an Extec Crusher, the feeder side had snapped through and proving a pig to repair in these low temps, firstly my welder leads froze to the ground and took on the solid bar feel after I managed to break them free of Mother Earth, then the welding up issue with steel at -7 or 8 degs is not realy a good way to make things stick together long turm so could be troubles ahead, but sadly I dont realy have any good pictures worth posting at this moment. tctractors
tctractors,good morning,here that is. Good to here from you. Slight chuckle regarding the heater and seat,more interested in getting her done. As for the pics,if tools stick to ground,fingers stick together,then not easy to operate a camera. Thanks for taking a few minutes to reply. All the best ?
I have to chuckle at the technology around us today,most phones have cameras on them but I cannot find the damn buttons in warm weather,much less in freezing weather.The fad used to be boom boxes they carried around on their shoulders,if you asked them to work that hard you would have to pay them for it.Now they type parts of words and numbers that don't make any sense,what happened to good grammar these days?Why can't they talk like a human?Did Alexander Graham Bell do all this for nothing?We are going backwards it seems.you would have to pay those kids to type like that on somebody else's clock when they could be talking.Ron G
RonG,to add a comment. The up and comers,generally,want the new shiny stuff. Being a truck driver,I see the next group wanting more hp and speed. Then panic sets in when it comes to stop in a bad situation.
Blk prince, I might have commented on the fact that in my days I have been in charge of the steering wheel in some good mounts (trucks) doing some heavy work, it would seem that the engine H.P. was on the punny side compaired to the trucks of today, Scania's pump out 730 soon to be 760/80 H.P. Volvo seem to be happy at around the 750 spot, the feel you get driving these new beasts is total pants as they take no effort or nounce to peddle along, my answer is to restore a Scania 142H to use as a tractor to pull my CAT's to Shows, as I have Zero interest in the polished up head light chariots, the 142 is close to driving a car against a Foden or a Scammell, but your never late with a V8. blowing it on tctractors
It seems that the badge of honor with new operators is speed,I see them pushing as fast as they can go trying to impress the old man.They don't even have a clue what the next push is going to look like until they do it.Ron G
RonG, one thing that did happen to make me smile more is I sent the Bride off to buy me a new "Tardis" Land Rover are not building any more Defender type chariots for U.K. sales after this year, it would seem that the end of March is the cut off point for Factory orders, so as I was busy it seemed handy to set the Bride and son to spend Dads coins on a new set of wheels, so this will be the last new Defender I will have, the 5th new built for me and as I have had a Land Rover always from the age of 17 its some mile stone, I once bought a Landcruser thing and kept it 5 weeks as it failed to go through the swamp sites I have to sometimes work in, this last Land Rover will see me out I think I must have clocked up around the 1'000'000 miles if not more just driving to work and back, lets hope this last one can take the hammer, a contractor I used to get the odd bit of work from had a stunning Foden LowLoader outfit the driver of it from new polished and fussed over it like a Mother Hen, the contractor bought a new outfit selling off the Foden, the driver who had worked for the man over 20 years told him that he did not want a new Truck and he would not drive a Swede Machine jacked in the job on the Fodens last shift, the driver told me that he loved driving the Foden and being paid to do it made it realy special, I now understand the mans verbs and still see him around, he stands up rod straight always smart dressed with a polite Gentleman way, I admire him for living his life the way he has. tctractors
tc, ah ha, what is all this bit about you buying Land Rovers, and five of them at that. I thought that you were a poor ole boy like me, with holes in your pockets where all of your coins were falling to the floor boards in your small shack. Now I think that somewhere under those floor boards you have stuffed away loads of coin to turn over to the bride to buy Rovers. The following is verbs that you posted on my thread a few months back. Hatchequip, if Nitelite was about a 100 miles away (or less) I would pop and fit that chain on for him in the dark, so in the morning he would think the "Fairys" had done it, I am glad you have started to talk normal (like me) and after a carefull study of your work posting on those Cranes, even with the "Ketchup" bottle oil can, those innards on the Navvies are pigs to work on and best left to those that like em' on Nitelites chain count its just to see if a link has already been removed, this would explain the muck in the sprocket tooth, as removing a link often causes the sprocket to loose its "Hunting Tooth" ability. tctractors. p.s. I thought Nitelite was a poor Begger like me??? but it turns out he is up there with Prince Charles with all his toys. Now we can understand who has been hoarding coin! Ha Ha. Worked the 951C three days last week trying to beat the coming rain and cold weather. Would have finished up the job but my right track came off of the front idler and that took me four hours to sort. I lost daylight before finishing up and now the rain and cold has set in. I was in a mud hole on the job, so bad that it was iffy if the loader would float or get stuck. She was dragging the belly plates in two foot mud ruts when I decided to wait for dryer weather. I lack about two hours to finish up and hope I don't drop another track. No more work for the old gal till she gets new sprocket rims and a set of chains. The engine overhaul kit has been sitting on the work bench for months now. She quit spitting black goo from the stack and after a few hours hard work at full throttle just as you said that it might. The exhaust runs fairly clear with a little blue smoke. Still has strong blow by and using about one gallon of oil in two hours hard work at full throttle. While she is down for uc work I think I'll get on with the engine overhaul. Just had to bug you about the mega coin and Prince Charles thing. Don't get too comfortable riding around in that new Rover. Bet you even got the heated seats and steering wheel.
Nitelite, good to hear that you are still scratching about at your "South Fork" address, and yes the Land Rovers are always spec'd with the Winter Pack, that is screens + seats, the steering wheel is not heated as that is for softys in other make chariots, the cost of the L/R's is a bit on the steep side with this new 1 just tipping over the £30 large point with all the bits I need stuck on, the benefit with setting the Bride loose is she has no time issues being able to sit and argue the deal to the last bone, I dont trade in anything its just a 1 way deal, the Bride bought a new car in September so I am blowing coins out like a drunk in a brew house, but keep in mind that if I had your money I would throw mine away. tctractors
I am pretty sure that I was around when you bought the last one too,I lamented that it was a shame to get it dirty in the places that you put it. I am going to tell you a secret Tony,I don't like any Swedish machine that I ever ran with the exception of maybe an Ackerman or two.You sit in the seat and look around at all the knobs and switches in the damn things and you cannot tell what is what by the symbols that they use to mark their switches,trying to change the bucket on a Volvo loader will bring tears if no one shows you how to do it first swapping the bucket for another attachment usually means that you have a crew waiting for you and probably a cop directing traffic for you so the whole world is watching you demonstrating your ignorance and wondering "where did they get this guy"? About the only switch that I recognize is the A/C compressor it if has A/C and maybe the light switch.How about the Ackerman grease fittings?An american grease gun haed will fit just about any undamaged zerk with no problems,I cannot remember now what brand that I used to buy that would fit both types,I think that it was NAPA but if you did not have the right head then you needed the Ackerman grease gun that comes new with the machine and better hope that the Ackerman dealer did not swap it with an offshore cheap replacement so that he could resell the hibuck OEM gun for big bucks.There is more but shall leave it for another day. One of my brothers had a Land Rover and I was impressed that you could flip open a little hatch between the seats to grease the forward universal joint on the rear drive shaft.Ron G
tctractors,good morning. This is off the track a bit. Could you out up a picture of the new Rover? We do not see many of them in this part of the world. Take care. BP.
Blk prince, the new chariot is yet to be built, they start off as a basic box of bits with a large list of "Extras" this is the money trap area, the Bride and my Son had the build sheet of my current set of wheels to re-order as close as possible something the same, the new thing will have grippy rubber boots at an extra £300, the alloy wheels are around £800 extra in fact the standard L-R is very basic so the extras list is very long, I have not even been given a build date as of yet but hope to see something sparkle around April. tctractors
Tony,young Tommy had a fit when I told him you were selling the Landy as he has 3 toy ones all in silver like yours.He calmed down somewhat when I imformed him that you are getting a new one.He asked if he can have your old one???I'm not joking either!
Refurbished eq bar
Bit rum looking
Looking good! Can you leave the nose up like that? Will help the operator when it's nap time....
tctractors,hello Tony what are you involved in? It has been awhile since you posted,Ian
This 3304 has been loosing abit of water for sometime now.sometimes water disappears and sometimes it doesn't move for days Anyway,it's finally showed it's hand and has been removed today. Due to the hit and miss nature of my local workshop,I will send it to TC Tractors and get Tony to spruce it up a bit.
Nice write-up in today's Classic Plant Mag, TC. To our brethren on the warmer side of the Atlantic, Classic Plant is the No.1 mag circulated throughout the English speaking parts of Europe and the old Commonwealth
Thanks from over here,never seen it.
Thanks for the heads up on the Mag thing Richard, I will have to hide that issue from the "Bride" incase see asks about how much money I have spent on 1 of my toys, the fact that I had to buy 2 other shovels to cut em' up for bits to make 1 good banger out of 3 might be straining my luck, she did ask a few questions about cost and how I managed to get the first 1, I managed to bluff things around by saying I had given a few oil filters for it, only to be told I have been tucked up, the rusty old thing is never worth it, anyhow the D7 and Box gets the treatment next so the fact that I am starting with a good basic tractor should result in a top outfit, the funny thing is if I sold that shovel for a load of coins my Bride would be very happy, unlike me as I would be in "Tears" tctractors
Thanks Richard, Any chance of scanning the article? Nice to see a good old Cat Traxcavator getting respect. Nice one TC...maybe your next build could be a 983! Jim
I pick up copy's of the magazine at my local Tractor Supply store here in the Pennsylvania, USA.
will see if i get chance over the w/e
Well today I managed to get a copy of the mag and check out its innards, the artical was scripted very well with some very good photo's of some of my toys, it can be funny how things work out as I bought the 951 in the depths of the bramble bush thinking it was a C series shovel, when I cleared all the Nature off it (Brambles) after I had coughed up the Dollars to see it was a B series I was Gutted, then the owner of the yard I am allowed to use pointed out the build year(1971) was a great match up for the Scania 140 truck that I had restored for him, so things sort of fell into place very sweetly, the track groups are pucker CAT and the fact that the shovel was dent free something rare in the U.K. the love of an ugly child started to take hold, the 951 shovel has been a big thing in my life as years ago it was a constant bit of work for me servicing and re-building them, so to finaly own a good un' and a B series with only a short production run and the first power shift pedal steer 951 series is also a nice bit of Glory to fill my boots with, plus it seems the mag is running the CAT 666 story next month? so more glitter to see, try bostonpowercat.com to view some interesting iron D8's D9's 666's etc. tctractors
Fine work on the shovel. Enjoyed reading it and following your threads. If only there was as much old iron in ireland Keep up the good work. Nick....
just a few snaps of recent jobs
and a few more
some more pics
pictures to follow
one more post to follow
MMMMM... crunchy!
the last one!
Good dat Tony. I was wondering what you were attacking. I thought the new Rover had shown up and you had driven off into the sunset.
Nice work as always Tony.....you need the second shift to come in and put all your tools away and the third shift to work and bring them all back out again.Ron G
Well a few verbs to explain the snaps, it would seem Crushers have taken up more time that CAT's of late with some nasty dramas, the grizzly feeder had snapped through also needed 2 new shaft bearings on a shaker shaft in -7 deg's temp's or pissing down rain, the red Crusher had the F/Drive end plate explode off with gears scattering across the Quarry floor, the hydraulic motor also needed work and was removed through the flange hole including the adaptor plate, this involved cutting up a few spanners (old junk) and welding hex nuts to them to undo the nasty bolts that you cannot get to, best to describe this task a "Right Dog" and some fiddle but in the end O.K. the Volvo swinger had a knackered Hydo Cooler another crap job to undertake, the big flywheel is driven by a hydraulic motor via Vee belts, the spline section drive on the motor to the drive pulley had stripped needing a few ££ spent to sort, a scrap skip was used as a work platform, the steering clutch being stripped is out of a D4D CAT that I popped the cross-shaft out of the other day. Blk Prince, I popped to the Land Rover factory this week and had the Defender Tour of the factory, this was only to see the hand building of the Defender, the Tour was Top Class and to see the building of them (by hand) was Magic, it realy makes them worth every coin they cost to the point I am considering ordering 1 more for stock, I did run this past the Bride without getting any bad vibes so I am going to look into things, as after December 18th this year the Defender is finished being built. tctractors p.s. the cracked rock floor is after blasting these cracks are massive and right deep.
Once the bride is in your corner,you have it made. Next is to decide how many extra years of broken shafts and stripped gears are in your future.
I have to say,that the scene at the yellow crusher makes me wince abit.I have had 2 days this week in the same conditions fitting a D5H water pump,some transmission pipes and a tricky little Hyster starter motor that had to come off again due to me trapping the positive feed behind the starter.The heating in the office has been down a week now and my sponge was full.By the time last night arrived I was ready for a pint by a nice warm fire with Mrs Lamb and preferably with a large steak somewhere on the table.However,I was imfomed that we were going to a friends hose for 'drinkies and nibbles'.This did nothing to lighten my mood due to the fact that we have been there before and have had to suffer their idea of hospitality.They are strict on the portion controle,the beer coolers are set to 'warm' and the heating in their outdoor 'summer house' is in the form of a fan heater. After about half an hour my numb fingers were wrapped around my 'so called cold' can of lager to warm them up, I was eyeing up the buffet with distaste.Cold sausages and bits of cheese seemed to be the order of the day and as I looked over the room at my poor wife who was bravely managing to listen to a story about 'Toxic Tampax Syndrome' I decided that I was about to see my arse in spectacular fasion.I caught her eye and she took the hint.Minuits later she announced our departure for reasons of children being sick,babysitters panicking blah,blah and we were soon sat in the back of a taxi heading straight to my cosy local pub. As we toasted our feet by the fire supping our pint of Guiness and large red respectively I mentioned to my wife that Tony has to put up with the cold and mud all the time and his wife only feeds him Faggots and overcooked vegetables.I'm sorry to say TC,that she had no sympathy for you as,in her words, 'He loves messing about with those machines though and I feel sorry for his poor wife who has to wash those filthy bloody overalls all the time' Women eh?
Hey Tony, did them lads "Oop North" ever get that scraper to fire up..?
Nige, the Scraper has not been started yet, the weather is Cold, Bleak, Snowy and crap, the chance of a Motor Scraper barking into life with work ahead is at least a month away, If I get called back up to the site I might try the laughing gas to start the beast, your name did crop up a few weeks ago within some miss guided rubbish that soon managed to get shut out in another section, I so did hope you would spit a few verbs out of your sharp brain, anyhow things seemed to flatten off fast due to many folk being very polite, I must admit I was starting to falter on the polite thing but I am only a tad away from being a Pub Ugly and find it hard to calm down sometimes. Nicky, my Bride has never washed even 1 pair of my overalls in 39 years of wedded bliss, yesterday I met up with the CAT gang at Ffoss y Fran (? the spelling) Open Cast Coal Site, the Snow and wind blast was some dog, today it was a tidy frost and pissing rain as I chopped out a track link from both sides of a big old Land Drainer, even the 2 young owners scurried off leaving me to get on with things, I laughed at them and pointed out that next time they need to bring a note from their Mum if they cannot stick it, oh and glad you worked out the rubber band bit, I don't think your young lads would quit because its "To Cold" like the 2 30 odd year old's today. I stuck it out ! tctractors
Tony,it is Sunday on this side of the planet,what on God's green earth are you doing slugging through the mud crud and crap today? Do ye not rest?
I'm sure he's thinking about the payments he will have on the new Land Rover!
This just shows how dumb I am as I have worked 7 days a week for near 50 years, I do have a day out when needed but its the rent you pay to stay on the Earth to be active and not stay in bed sleeping, as for payments on anything this is something that I only had on a House once and paid it off 12 years early as I found it bad value and a bind that I wish I had not entered into, I do realize that not everyone wants to be as sad as myself, but I need nothing fancy or flash in my life just a good laugh and to get on with things, this way of life is somewhat due to my Father although he used to always have Sunday off it was to make sure I worked it, so habits take a lifetime to shake off or your mind to settle down from I hope you understand my mindset (Brain washing) tctractors
Tony, I fully understand, growing up on a farm you worked everyday. Having livestock you had to feed twice a day, plus provide water for them. Usually the worse the weather was the more time you spend doing even just the chores. When I finally got off the farm I continued to work 7 days a week as that is just what you do. When I worked doing service for a window and door company I average weekly hours was 100. Living on the road, having a 2-3 month backlog, you just worked. Back being self employed until two years ago I was still working everyday. That and getting up early are a habit!
tc,not dumb at all,just a good man. Did not mean to offend.
Blk prince, I did not think for 1 second that your post was anything but a tease, to offend me would take a real hard prod, its nice to see that dirty4fun has the same habit locked into him, as for getting up in the morning the bride has moved the alarm clock to 5.30am (every day) now so sleeping is starting to become a problem life is odd at times??? tctractors
Hi Tony: The world needs more people like you, ones that have a true passion for what they do, are good at it and share their enthusiasm for what they do. You obviously have a strong work ethic, a trait that is sorely lacking in the majority of today's workforce. I have told my sons from day one that if they choose to work at something that they truly enjoy then they will enjoy going to work and work won't feel like WORK! I have worked with many people over the years and I would say the majority of trades people have a passion for what they do, but I have only worked with a very few that have a strong work ethic like you. I take my hat off to you and would love to buy you a pint some day if I can get across the pond. Keep the photos coming they're awesome!
profrooky, firstly thank you for your kind words and for making the time spare to post them, I often think that only 3 or 4 people look in on this thread so its good to see a few comments being posted (good or bad) this week in the U.K. has started off cold, bleak and nasty weather wise, tomorrow is track pin pressing on the Land Drainer track chains, the next day its off on a 220 mile round trip to suck out a dead shaft on a CAT D7 47a early serial No tractor, the dead shafts change shape at around the 3300 spot, Friday I am stripping out a shuttle box from a little site dumper its around a 6 tonner, this is not my usual work on small stuff but its for a new customer and you have to go and have a look over the hill sometimes if you understand. tctractors
I think you would be quite surprised if knew how many people read your posts TC. There are a few absolute masters of their trade sharing their day to day experiences on here that I look forward to reading about. Stay with us and keep those photos coming when you can.
I've been reading them for a couple years now. Very entertaining and he's helped me out a couple times. I too would like to met you Tony if I ever got the chance. Beers and dinner on me. Keep up the good work!!!
Tony, I always look forward to your posts, for one thing because you get to work on things I never had the chance to, and honestly speaking you hammer out more work in a week or two than I do in a year. If I ever become successful (we should both live so long) I would love to (as others have said) buy you a pint somewhere, sometime. Keep at it! :drinkup Lanway
Hey Tony, You know you can click on "shop talk" up top and it'll take you to the sub-forum, where you can see the stats for this thread. You started it 1 year and 8 days ago, there have been 370 posts, or about 1 a day. there have been 45379 views or... 122 a day, 5 an hour, or 1 every 12 minutes!!
Hey TC, I always read your posts, Here and on ACMOC. You always have interesting projects and even more welcome, GOOD ADVICE. Thanks for posting. Now that I am retired and plan on doing more non job related traveling, I hope to hoist a pint with you some day.
I often think that only 3 or 4 people look in on this thread so its good to see a few comments being posted (good or bad) I for one am responsible for at least one of those Views per day. I enjoy Tony's experience and I have learned a thing or two!
I must admit to being a bit shocked by the maths thing done thanks to mitch plus all the strong comments, I might think about posting snaps of the modern kit that I work on more as usual'y I don't bother with photos of them, just thought it worth the verb regarding the red Terex Crusher, after we had removed the track drive, adaptor plate and hydraulic motor, getting the motor repaired and bolting all the bits back including the new drive hub, A Terex Finley field service man turned up to deal with a hired in screener, he looked at our little repair telling me that "you have to remove the Track Frame" to do that job, I looked at the 2 bits of old (junk) spanners that we had cut up and welded bits to in order to get on the nasty bolts, thinking I wonder if he keeps a few old junk spanners? plus the fact that the job was done with the frame on. tctractors
That reminds me of the time someone in our company decided they needed to have a "factory rep." from the local dealer come out to do a repair on an Allison DP8000 transmission. We, Norm and myself, had worked on a few of the smaller 5000 and 6000 series Allisons but they thought we needed help on this 8000 series. As I recall Norm and I had to show him much of how it came apart! Then there was the time a year or so ago that our new 773G Cat truck needed some work that involved setting the valves on the engine. Local dealer mechanic was doing the work with me helping. Had to remove cover to install barring tool to turn engine. Cat mechanic was surprised that I was able to work my way up and reach the cover bolts. 60+ year old body still bends pretty good, not as good as when I was 30 but better than some of that age.
I don't really understand it, but 60 isn't nearly so old as it was 30 yrs ago. :beatsme I'm not there yet, but my sister just turned 60 a few weeks ago, I told her it was surprising how young 60 was, since she was still the same distance ahead of me she always was. Heck, even women in their 50s and 60s used to be dried up old crones, now it's surprising how many of them are attractive.
They still look the same,we are not as discriminating as we once were )Ron G
Naw, I still want thirty year olds, same as always, LOL.... the problem is, while gals of that young age used to smile and giggle when I flirted with them, now they either frown at me or laugh outright.... *sigh*
That reminds me of the rule that I learned years ago to remember the firing order of a 6 cylinder engine,1-5-3-6-2-4......too young,too old and just right.Ron G
Saw this close up dashboard pic and thought it might help with your DD9G refurb
Nice. Great picture. What fun that one would be to push a few 660s with.
Good one Ron, that gave me a laugh! Cheers, Alan
Years ago I used to ask work mates if they had a Sister, now I ask "what's your Mum like" followed by can you ask her if she like's a bit of rough, because I am no Office type, I must say that I do notice and so admire Lady's that keep in good nick no matter what age, I can say that I am very sharp to pass polite comment when my eyes see something Tidy, the Women love it and want to bake me a cake. it rained some yesterday! tctractors
Tony,are they pushers or side by side D9's that you're refurbish. This Dutch website that I found these pics on has piles of pics about these type of D9's working in Europe. Closeups of pipework and wiring etc.Could be usefull
MMMMMMMMMMMMM, CAKE!.... and what was that other thing they used to give us?... oh well... CAKE! LOL
:falldownlaugh
That's some funny stuff right there.. One of my favorite pick-up lines>> "you are one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen!! Are you married??" womans response>> "why thank you but yes I am." Guys response>> does your husband let you date?? The # of "NO'S" probably wouldn't surprise you... but some of the other responses probably would.. LOL
Hey tony I'm just a wee boy down in southern England have been working on the plant for around 15 years but was born and bread plant I thourghly enjoy you post I started out on navies and piling kit but feel I may have been born a few years too late the newer kit just doesn't have the same feel I look forward to your updates
Hi Strachan, I was near your Parish on Thursday, heading towards Aston Clinton off the A41, it did rain some so I waited for it to ease off only for it to rain heavier, so I thought get stuck in its only "Liquid Sun Shine" and set into pulling out a D7 Dead Shaft, it was a fair pig to blow out of its perch with just over 8'000 psi through a 105 ton cylinder keeping things under tension, then I lit up my "Bunsen Burner" (big Pepper Pot) and stuffed that into the Main Case at gas mark 5, this set free the D/Shaft like a Sonic Boom , the Oxo Bottle was covered in ice including the regulator and a good bit of the pipe to the torch, as usual the rain stopped the instant the shaft was dumped on the ground, but the mission was as they say Completed as Required, besides the 2' 1/2 hour drive home dries out all your bits etc, on getting home the bride tells me she had a tough day in Cheltenham Shopping??? "living the Dream" and very thankfull tctractors p.s. on the Pile drive thing I have done years of it and love doing this sort of work.
Puncture repair time. Work is starting to loom on the horizon for these tractors. One started no problem and the other took just 10 minuit of charging to fire it up
D5 clocking up a few hours since water pump job.Going well T.C.
All the lads must be busy this month,site has been very quiet
Well I have been up to all sorts the last few days, this has been on some little CAT D4D's both LGP tractors, also had crap jobs on wheeled loading shovels, the O & K involved the centre pivot bearings and stuff, the other beast "Leibherr" involved hydraulic pumps so far I have them off but not had chance to sort them, oh I had a phone call for a transmission fault on a CAT D6R, by the time I dropped down into the crater the CAT was in this D6R had turned into a D6N, to make things even more crap it was sat in its own bodily fluids roughly 35 gallons of TO4 with the problem needing the belly guard popping down, the fault being the suction hose from the main case to the pump with lots of bolts looking like they have spent years in Sea Water, to undo 4 rusted bolts on a flange was some pig of a task stressing all my spanners and arms to near rupture, the elation I felt after getting the bolts out was I must admit rather nice, plus the fact that I had not needed to drain out the transmission oil that I was now wearing like a badge of " Honour " I will post a few snaps asap. well oiled tctractors
tct,if your weather is like ours the last few days,then being well oiled good be good for the joints,lol
You can always tell when Tony doesn't post for a few days that he is up to something that is always worth the wait.I thought maybe he took the tour of the factory where his new ride was being built but as I recall they have not even started to build it yet.Ron G
tct you wont be rusting for a while... LOL & the oil is good for the complexion,:falldownlaugh
It might be worth saying that if you spill 1 gallon of anything on the floor it looks like 20 gallons, the mess that a full transmission contents can make puts Loch Ness to shame, the D6N is a French built tractor with Louisiana CAT(spelling?) stickers on it, so this little mount has spent some time on the High Seas. tctractors
Tony, always great to read you stories. Quite remarkable and the conditions that you have to work in sounds somewhat familiar at times. You should be looking younger with you oil treatment, as many women use the oil of Olay, since it was a belly pan and you were laying there. I used to use a windrower rubber mat to work on our farm equipment. Everything was worked on outside unless you could carry it inside the little building we called a shop.
Tony I feel your pain have spent many hours laying in the fluids of sick machine that had spent too many years working on the beach just praying the bolts would come out and not shear off many a time with the added fear of completing the repair before the tide had returned I had a couple of close calls where I ended up getting rather wet After a small detour for a year into the lorry loader world looks like I'm venturing back into the world of old machines muck shifting and beach work I often question my own sanity lol Look forward to your pictures Ian
some pics of ongoing jobs
a few more that I am working on.
and a few more pics
and finally some more
tct,first two pics,has machine been out of service for awhile,certainly missing a fair number of shoes. Final pic is only to look at,correct? You did not have the "pleasure" of rescuing that critter did you?
B-P, the land drainers often run with half the plates stripped, this drainer is on long D7 Chains and it was time to pop out a link from each side also to reseal the track adjusters ready to go out on a job the next week, the Exhaust box is for an International BTD20 engine (Rolls Royce) the Gent stood looking at his Loading Shovel in 2 bits is the owner and is a real pleasure to do any work for, always very thankfull and sharp to settle my small Bills, the D6N is French built with that U.S. sticker in the U.K.?? parked up calved down in a crater, the stuck tipper is in the same hole but also in a hole, it was nothing to do with me but you can see its down in the pit. tctractors
My old departed Uncle ran Cat for years building roads in the logging industry,then he was given a new Euclid. He would not run another Cat as long as the "Uke" was mobile. He always said the Uke was a better machine. Have you come across any in your travels?
I can imagine having the radiator behind you in the hot summer would endear the machine to an operator.I have heard that the coolant lines running under the operators station negated any advantage to the operator though.I have never run their track machines but have worked around them quite a bit and have been impressed with their technology.Their nitrogen charged track adjustment system was ingenious using the grease adjustment to maintain slack in the track chain as opposed to the conventional method that we are accustomed to. They seemed to be first with the single cylinder to control the front blade.I wonder what his (uncle) conversion was based upon.Ron G
Euclid-Terex, at 1 time the green machines with the sticker of a Man pointing to the Workshop on seemed fairly common in the U.K. the loading shovels, Mine Cars and Scrapers being the common chariots, the Dozer side of things always seemed very thin on the ground here, anyhow around 30 years ago I used to do an amount of work for a Co called Pipeline Equipment Services (P. Strange) sometimes he would send me off for a week or 2 driving a tractor and box (Pan), 1 job was digging out a wetland area/lake for Peter Scott at Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust, the mount was a Euclid tractor pulling a CAT 435 box, the Euc' had I think a Baker CCU that was a bit of a knacker job as it would blow a seal (Big O Ring) if you gave the winch some Boot, plus the howl out of the motor would scare the Wildlife off, this Euc' had the single nose ram for the blade although the blade was stripped off to put the tractor in G.T. Spec' also known as Race Performance Mode, 1 thing I did notice compared to a D7E the Euc was an Alcoholic for our Cherry Aide, but the tractor would start instantly and pulled very well, I seem to recall that it also was about as wide as it was long. The Army was littered with the Euc Iron and it would seem a tasty mount to own was the Shovel with the recovery winch stuffed in the front of the cab, to re-seal any ram was easy with 1 seal kit fitting all the cylinders (I think?) if you ran the hydraulic oil low the steering packed up needing a valve control venting to sort things, the common repair that I used to get was the replacement of the Torque drive plate that used to tear up, on the Euc Scrapers well its hard work only getting stuffed into them constantly, it was always said to run 5 TS 14's you need to turn up with 7, I can recall once getting sent to a site with 17 Maggi Deutz 3 axle dumpers, out of 17 only 3 would do a days work, it took me 5 weeks to get all of the dumpers up on their feet working, some had snapped through the Chassis behind the Cab, looking back on things I had to work like a Dog, thankfully things are easy now. tctractors
Nice to see the brain cells getting a work out. Some memories good,some not so good. All part of this go around called life. Lol
I ran an 8220b long enough on a hot day to realize it didn't matter much to the operator which way that fan was pushing, I got real hot and stayed that way, although it was an open station machine. it did perform well, although I can still hear that infernal buzzing the motor made today.
Bit of a First for me today, I have stripped a CAT D6D Final Drive in a Factory Car Park, its odd pulling sprockets etc next to heaps of cars on a top class Tarmac surface with nothing under the tracks to save it?? tctractors
Maybe if you asked they could haul in a few tonnes of mud mixed with grease and oil just to make you more comfortable:lmao
now I would really love to see pictures of that!!
I will be going back out to stuff it all back together next week, so a few snaps will be no trouble, the Factory owners don't seem to care about the top spec Tarmac, its also next to The Doctors Surgery so its a bit odd??? tctractors
Good one.LOL.Can't top that!!. Ron G
RonG, my life is a scream most of the time, the rain can be trying and having to cope with oil every where as you pop down a belly plate can be a sicken'er but to find a CAT D6D parked in a car space in a tidy Car Park is a comedy to a Donkey like me, I will admit that I would be happier in a Swamp working, but I just find it nuts. tctractors
Ya' gotta be careful where you do you chores in a place like that,you could get arrested for indecent exposure.Now I may be making assumptions here 'cause we don't know each other that well but there is always someone that would complain no matter what your wavin'.Ron G
I wonder what caused that D6D to be parked with all the autos in a hard surfaced car park? are there cars close to the tractor too?!! I just can't imagine.
The D6D in the Car Park man has gone very silent, I had the parts people E him a costing on parts for a "Proper Job" also a Bluff Job with just a few bits stuffed into things, so its possibly a bit of a "Sit and Think" moment on the best way to go?? the U.K. is on some sort of shut down for a few days but lucky for me there is a few jobs I can land on, a new task for next week is to stuff track groups (full hit) under an RB 20 or 25 or was it a 30, its a counter balance long reach excavator in a Quarry used on the silt lakes, it also has a wound in its hydraulic system resulting in weak track power on the Port Bow, apparently it drags its 1 leg about like a kicked dog so fun to be had, I also had a message not to spill any oil and have a spill kit to hand, I am hoping a few old Jumpers stuffed in a bin bag will do the trick. tctractors
As I always say, "if you want to make omelettes you gotta break eggs" haha
Tony,what's up with the D6N?.it seems too new to be broken down.The tipper driver should have gone to specsavers????? I am also interested to know what you are upto on the old D7E.Is it ps or dd and does the owner still use it. The D8 with the new steering bands was wanted back at the quarry last week but I am too busy at the yard at the moment,but it would be nice to give it a proper dogging.The D5 is still keeping the rust off the blade.
Hi Nicky, the D6N was nothing other than the oil supply pipe to the trans pump "think radiator top hose here" as that is about what it looks like, the D7E 47A D.D. is just 1 of Many CAT's these people own from D8H 22A (near the last 1 built on Serial No) down to D2's with a few I.H. tractors to keep them company, I was working on a D8H 68A this week, its a bit of a knacker but the Farmer can nurse the chariot around his land a treat, I bought a 3306DI spacer plate motor of him complete fan to flywheel (and more) I don't need it but could not leave it as its a strong runner, its of the nature to the D6H/R motor so you can understand why it needed tucking under my arm, I had my toys started up today (951 & D8K) ready to muck about with them in the next few weeks, my new Land Rover is now built so I am waiting for the call to collect it asap. tctractors
Looking forward to seeing your new Rover, probably not as much as you thou. Send us a few snaps once you get it settled into the stable.
you won't go wrong with that spare 3306 in the cupboard. Any pics of the 68A are allways appreciated. By the way,your little mate pointed you out on the 666 wheel.
Hey Tony took a day off today and headed up to solihul for a quick tour of the defender production line they said there had been a few gremlins in your new one but they thought they had evicted them all lol can you believe they monsoon test them in a special chamber mine leaks every where in the slightest shower let alone gong through a puddle or a monsoon its a real shame to see the end of the road for the defender hope your new one serves you well and enjoy the fact it will probably worth more when you come to sell it than it was when you brought it Ian
Strachan, I did the "Defender Tour" and had a good study of the Monsoon Shed and the men running around with Mastic Guns to bodge up flood holes, the thing I missed was the start up for the first time of the engine, my old charabanc is still in top nick and is going to need a bit of thought on how to get rid of it in about 2 weeks time, as for selling the new mount, I would like the Bride to strap me in it and dig a hole around it when I pull my pin ready for my final trip, my old mount has never let me down and been about the best 1 ever owned, the Motorways used to be the killer for L/Rovers but this thing eats the miles without any drama, I can say that I have had at least 1 L/Rover always from the age of 17 as it was my first Car (Series 2A Ex Army) with all my Spooning and Doing with possible brides done in low range? tctractors
some snaps of recent jobs and stuff
and a few more
some more snaps of previous work
some additional pics
some more for your viewing pleasure
and a few more
nearly at the end
and finally !!
Tony we need verbs for all those pictures!!!!
The dozer with the cushion and junk on the track, treasures from the cab?? At first look I thought you were using the cushion to cushion you while working on it.
Nice to hear from you Tony. What about the new Rover?
Nice pics Tony,I thought we were about due,you didn't disappoint us.Looks like the coolant in that first pic has some oil in it.LOL.Ron G
Well here is a few verbs to help with the snaps, these are a few jobs from this last month with a few modern chariots that I thought worth a snap or 2, the white gunge dripping out from the 3304 engine is only about half the problem with more to come about this little banger, the red engine is a 3306 D.I. spacer plate motor that I bought to sell or swap??? the swinger with the track off was a bit dodgy as the excavator had a Lake behind it and was starting to slip down the clay bank, I think it was an F.H.380 ? the D8H with the knee pads on the track was copping 2 new oil coolers, then there is a few pic's of 1 of my toys (951B) as I started it up after its winter snooze, the digger thing with 1 axle is a Smalley and very scarce, I am going to sort the Lister engine on it soon, the Jeep is also 1 of my toys getting its belly rubbed, the D8H 22A is just starting to fetch out a crater with the D6H-II getting it's "Lecky" sorted by me note the wiring diagram on the track, it was some pain to sort with loads of issues, the D4's seemed thick on the ground with the first 1 needing starting up after about 20 years snoozing in the shed, the next 1 was poking on the sprockets, the 3rd 1 was a run away job on the throttle, the injector pumps need oil in them? the flat bed of a truck was converted into an Injection Pump room complete with my flask, the little Case thing is owned by a lonely old Farmer that needed a bit of help so I popped the track back on for him F.O.C. as he is a cracking old fella with heaps of old Excavators Dozers and tractors dumped on his Farm and he makes me smile loads, then we have the D6D that has a wounded leg getting fixed in the Car Park with people walking past lugging shopping bags, the green tractor with a D4H being dragged behind it, popped in to ask if I could sort his track groups as he was passing? the Dozer's with the 3 front Idlers are Vickers Vigors, there is 2 here, 1 has a Scraper Winch fitted with the Scraper parked around the side of the barn, the other has a Timber-Recovery Winch fitted, these bangers are scarce to see now so to spot 2 at rest with heaps of spare parts including undercart scattered about is a treat, the Steam Engine things well there was Sheds full of them and this was just 1 snap of the sooty things, the Orange Loader a Mega something had copped a Mega drama between its back wheels (Diff) it was a nasty dirty job to pop it to bits, the Komatsu swinger was a "Butt Clencher" as the 1 recoil spring had snapped resulting in the recoil being jambed solid in the Track Frame under massive tension, I had to cut trough 5 coils to make things safe and get the recoil free, I will be pressing the Track pins in on Monday on the new chains, the thing is a 290 so its running on 340 undercart 1"3/4 pin x 8"1/2 pitch (roughly) anyhow the "Firm" me by myself is sort of flat out but I did manage to collect my new Defender the other day, at the moment its just dumped in my yard but it will be getting some stuff done to it over the next few weeks, I need to do it slowly so the Bride cannot spot how much coin I waste on it non Factory Fit, I will admit to spending a Toe Curling amount so I am expecting a Bollocking any second. tctractors
By joves TC that was a fair bit of epic typing on your behalf there :notworthy Mankind had to sit down there and have a breather halfway through just to read that tale of epic endurance. Anyhow its Anzac day down here at the bottom of the world; our rememberance day of WW1. for NZ and Australia so heres a pic I thought you might enjoy of englands finest, with a load it could remember !:beatsme as there is hills in my terrain that left no cobwebs whatsoever on granddaddy low ! Cheers mate from the kiwis
Wow,that thing is up there Merv,how high is that?,Ron G
I like your Jeep.
brilliant!.....love it
Merv, a few years ago I was listening to my Wireless as I worked away, the topic was Istanbul this sort of locked my mind up to the point that as soon as I landed home I told the Bride to get air tickets the next day for the first flight that we could take to pop and take a look at this odd spot, we also had a boat ride over to the area the Anzac's faced upto the enemy, it seemed the Men came a long way to a place of no real merit to fight other men they had never seen, its the same in France with Graves of the fallen Soldiers as far as the eye can see, its so Very Sad words cannot do any good to convey the way the World has been. The K.M. Bedford would probably handle a PC 400 without any trouble so I cannot understand your doubt on the task, in the U.K. that would have been an easy back load on a Waggon with that H/Power. tctractors
Don't worry about the mule, load the wagon! Yee ha! That tractor looks like the old Chevrolet cabovers with the v-6 jimmy motors. Was Bedford one of the Generals subsidiaries down under?
you must have very flat roads where you are if you reckon a KM could handle a PC400 TC. Either that or that 'vitmo' you talk about is super potent rocket fuel for them ! Many down here were repowered with 6V53 and 6V71 detroits; but that one was just a 500 cubic inch Bedford motor; 5 spd x 2spd diff. And we were in low low on 13% grades with just 20 tonne of pc200. Your 'top gear team' actually did a trip up in my very end of NZ where the KM had to take this digger. Was where they started the yacht vs car race. was on tv here last year. Anyhow she made it there an back no worrys, so heres another for you ford 2418 with a log onboard !
Is that paint?
Merv, the Bedford trucks in the U.K. were top items with many very large Transport outfits had managed to get up on their feet through dogging the hell out of T.K's and K.M's, I was bluffing you some on the PC 400 task, I don't think the Ford Chariot can take the Boot like the Bedford though. OldandWorn, that gunge that looks like paint is transmission oil and engine coolant mixed due to the trans' cooler failing. tctractors
I think that is a new type of coolant saves having to use different fluids in crankcase and radiator. I believe that bundle of tubes is a special mixing device for this coolant/lubricant. We have a 988H that worked the same way but we decided to retrofit it with a separated cooling system sure was a pain to get the white stuff out of the radiator!
TC Looks like you are a Landrover man like me here is a Aussie version for a double cab
wild8r, I don't want to sound like a "Nutter" but if that chariot was a child it would be killed at birth, in the U.K. you might get locked up for driving that beast, the Defender is the good banger to have here, there was 600 or so Defenders sent to the U.S.A. only as the U.S. kick up crap about imports etc, this was seen as a good thing by the people in the U.K. other than Land Rover, anyhow with the Defender coming to a finish on December 18th this year the thought of me driving that thing about, well lets say its never going to happen, I would rather walk or catch a Bus would be the polite way of popping the verbs on that beast, anyhow thank you for your consideration and time to post your picture but that thing is so not me, do they sell these things in your patch? tctractors p.s. I have started sticking on some of the fancy bits to my new chariot, I also took a peep at the Bill for them, if the Bride sets eyes on it I will be getting "Picture but no Sound" for some time???
Hate to say it but that would probably sell like crazy over in the USA! Never understood why they put those low profile tires and fancy rims on a truck or SUV. I mean one little chuck hole and tire and rim is scrap. But then those who buy them think running off road is parking on the fresh mowed grass at the county club. Then at the other extreme are the guys who think they need tires more suited to a small front end loader!
Picture but no sound???? Oh you lucky man you! I get just the oppo, and at full volume I can tell you!
tctractors,sir over a month and not a sound. Worried in case wife found you putting goodies on your new unit. Say something so we know you are alive.
Hi B'p, good to think you are missing my rubbish, the new chariot is very good making quite an impressive improvement on the last 1, the "Firm" that is me by myself has been busy as usual although the phone is not ringing as often this last month, here in the U.K. we have just had an election on our Government, this causes a damping down of industry until the smoke clears, I have not been to active with my KodaK as the jobs have been on lots of new stuff fitting extras etc, I will look to see if there is anything worth posting, on the outlandish spend on fancy junk to mount on the new chariot, well credit to the Bride she never said a word other than " I paid your Bill today for all those things you think you needed" so that was painless to say the least, 1 job I had was to fit all new undercart to a D6R LGP whilst the owner helped (get in the way) the job was as usual Hard Work with a 10 min Tea Break every 10 hours wanted or not, this was a frame out task including an adjuster re-seal,we started on the Friday afternoon and popped the tractor onto the low loader Sunday night ready for Early Doors Monday start so I earn' t nothing out of that job other than sweaty overalls, I have some front idlers to swap out today on another LGP tractor I will get a snap. tctractors
How about a snap of the new chariot then Tony..?
Good to know you are well,enjoy a bit of the downtime.
some more pics of things I have been doing
and some more
and the last bunch
Damn nice chariot indeed! :drinkup
one of Fentons old shovels , one my dad had for a while
you had better send that new chariot back looks like they put the steering wheel on the wrong side
Just a few snaps of things happening lately, the first pic is the old and the new chariot with the back-up unit (Jeep) in my Garage, then a CAT D7 top pinion strip out using the 28lb hammer through my never fail flogging bar 1"1/2 drive and pancake 50 ton cylinder, the clump of old track loaders I am stripping parts off to keep working tractors going, the green 1 is Ex Fenton Plant Hire from Hook Hampshire, the D8 was just a quick brake adjust job and look round, the little swinger was an oil leak job (track pilot spools) 211B is a scarce beast, then the front wheel job on the Komatsu D65P, I had to call in a pal to patch in some 8mm wear strips into the frame to replace the knackered bits, oh and the blade patch up on the D8K, as you can see its nearly done with just the right wing to lash up, the vertical strips I had to leave on as the owner said they still have wear life left, the centre plate was shaped to hook up to them? I think this job has taken around 3 days to this point to do. tctractors
Graham, is it a 941 or 951 in your picture, I filled my banger with bits off it. clintm, the Defender is not importable to the USA, 600 where allowed in some years ago all with V8 engines, the UK is littered with them. tctractors
interesting stuff as usual Tony. All the best Richard - I've sold the 941
Aaa the chariot is sweet. You did not mention the portrait of that fine looking gent with a drop of sweat on his brow. Thanks for the pics.
Nice ride Tony, next you'll be sneaking battery powered tools into your toolbox after going that soft.
The Defender is a cool looking rig for sure, shame they couldn't send more to the USA
B.p. the chap in amongst the push frame is a long time pal Martin Smith, he looks for smaller kit to work on than myself as his common task, he has a service van very well kitted out also good at his job, he has new (clean) overalls every day and is right fussy about his smart stance, sadly I walk around in rags making a Tramp look smart but we are all different, Martin is even wearing a Hi-Vis vest that on this site is not needed as the Farmer is not fussy. tctractors
Great looking work truck Tony, you can tell them that is why you have to work in rags. It also helps the other fellow with you look better. Pretty hard to work on equipment and be a fashion model!
Cat sprocket removal on a little bigger scale in Canada.
The biggest High Drive rim case I have done is on a D7R LGP tractor with the common 1 for me to do being the D6H/R chariots, I like your fancy crane gizmo this is something that would be hard to find in the U.K. as we sort of work without the fancy kit, I would have to use a small excavator or a Tele-handler if I am lucky, the high drive chunks do pop to bits easy but I don't mind working on the old tractors as they can be tough going at times and I like this side of it. Mobiltech, thank you for your pictures I am always impressed with the service trucks and kit in the U.S.A. etc. tctractors
That attachment at the end of the boom is something I rigged up to get in under the fender on high drives. It makes the job a 1 man operation with the wireless remote control crane. I did 2 machines in 2 days. A D11R and a D10R. I don't like the 11 much . Its too big and you need a ladder to reach the top of the final drive.
Mobiltech, if you were tackling D9G/H's in 2 days you would still be scratching about on the first F/Drive so look at the fun you are missing out on?my H/Drive rim drive service tool is a D link and a short sling, the equipment owners here would not pay any extra for well kitted out service trucks, can I ask the reason you needed to pop the hubs down was it just the back duo-cone seal? or more costly gear set task. tctractors
There's probably a good reason for it which isn't immediately apparent but to get a tractor back to work PDQ surely it would have been faster to swap the complete FD out for a swing unit rather than pullt it apart on the tractor...?
Yair . . . Just curious, what's the motley looking carry-on inside the gear case in Mobiltech's third photo? Cheers.
I think it's just the camera running out of light Scrub....
The D10 was just a duo-cone seal replacement and the D11 was to find the source of some filings in the oil. The filings are coming from a failing hub spline. Parts are ordered and we reassembled to get it back to work. I didn't pull the sprocket right off on the 11 so I could leave the track in place . I like a good day job like that and then move on to something else. There is so much work here I don't ever need to worry about missing out on any fun . I really enjoy any chance I get to use the crane. Yesterday I pulled the stick cylinder off a 385C with it. I hooked a sling on the rod end pin then got in the cab and ran the stick control in and out with one hand and bumped the crane sideways with the wireless remote in the other hand until the pins popped out and then lowered the pin to the truck bed without leaving the machine cab.It makes it a one man operation. I like working with the setup I have a lot and it all makes my job easier and more enjoyable. Even if the return on investment is less I would still do it.
Yup its just bad lighting , the D10 looked like new inside other than the duo cone seal. I find it easier to do these on the machine rather than wrestling the whole thing off. There is no shop where I did that job so I did a lot of tarping and parts covering
Mobiltech, I Love it, if I could get extra money for having a few widgets like you have I would have the best sparkling set up around, sadly the U.K. is to used to manual labour with little thought for the Donkey doing the job. I have been heavily involved with the design and fitting of loader cranes onto trucks also trailers (trailors USA) these have been top end jobs, the last 1 was a 200 tonner onto a custom built bed, there is a few snaps of it in this thread some place, it can lift a D8K up without any drama. tctractors
Most of the contractors I do work for don 't have enough of each machine to have parts rebuilt and waiting to install. When a D11 goes down there is only one so you have to fix it as fast as possible which includes some patch work until the job is done and it can be shut down for proper repair. Of course you have to weigh the pros and cons of possibly causing more damage.
Agreed. I'm used to fleets of equipment where you have maybe half a dozen identical machines and so of course you have swing components. We'd just swing a final drive on a D11 even for something like a leaking Duo-Cone seal, because most of the time once it was pulled apart you'd have a 50/50 chance that it wasn't just a seal leaking but something else deep inside the component was actually the root cause, and of course Sod's Law dictates you wouldn't have parts on hand for it.
Nice Land T.C.Porridge is still surprised you let me drive your old one,never mind the new one. If you have gone abit quiet,I have that slippery trans setting to look at on a D8.I feel you would be pulling the valve chests out.It works great ,but for last 800 hrs the reverse selection is stiff . It's much better pulling box.can jump into forward when ticking over.This all started when I buggered about with the seat off for some wiring up jobs.Come on up if you fancy. Your beloved Mild has been replaced with Theakstons XPA...
Nicky, the "Firm" is always busy but I will catch up with you soon, yesterday I had a 400 mile round trip up past Hull to view a D8H 22A with a few Wounds that need a bandage, this tractor is part of the equipment used on a large Farm that also do outside contracting, the usual dozer on a Farm is a CAT D4 or Track Marshall, these people pull out the Big Gun D8 and get stuck in to moving muck fast, this tractor is a long time member of the Farm equipment with the thoughts to spruce the chariot up as there might be 10 years more viable work to get out of the beast, the Fuel to muck shifted with this clutch machine (D-D) is very good compared to modern tractors that would be affordable on a Farm, the repair involves popping down both F/Drives, fettling the track frames including a massive tidy up, finishing off the task with a sand blast and paint job with stickers dabbed on in the correct spots. tctractors
About 15 grand then TC......He he
tctractors, What great pictures of heavy duty component work on mostly Cat tractors. I used to pull the finals quite often on mostly D7E,s. Once in awhile a steer clutch flange. One could rent the press/puller from the local Cat or independent track shop. I always have a lot of respect and admiration for the field mechanics who do this bull work in all kinds of weather. Thank you.
Mud Logger, I am stuffing together a F/Drive on a D7 Series E tractor in the next few days, the E series tractors have the bigger dead shaft outer nut with a 2"1/8th x 12 thread, the D7 back end chunks take a good bit of lifting about as the gears are thick and heavy just like me, I do get some customers ask me to fix a flashing beacon or oil change their mini digger, I just tell them "No Chance" as I don't look for that sort of work as my Heart would not be in it, on the weather front item well it Pissed down rain in some form today, lucky for me I was fitting a water pump that I had just rebuilt on a CAT D4D 7R series (French built Power Shift) so I had the full wet Togg's on as the job had to be done, thank you for your post in this Tread, I hope it brings back good memories for you of times past, it is always good for me to hear from other folk that do or did this line of work. tctractors Living the Dream
Just thought I would sprout off a few verbs as its been a few days, today was a tough day at the office with loads of Sledge Hammer action and chunks flying off an old banger at a Quarry, the excavator is a long reach VC20? I think it was with a plate saying R.B. International screwed to the door panel, I had to jack up the carbody to pull out the track groups it also has 11 bottom rollers knackered on 1 side only, the other side is fit to go , it also has a track drive gearbox failed plus loads of other issues needing a lot of time to sort, I will post a few pictures asap. tctractors
Nige, I thought it was Murphy's Law...
Hey tony Just a quick question do you have a good source for d rings working a lot on old scrapers now and struggling to get hold of any and my stocks are dwindling
You looking for Cat D-rings..? As far as I know they're available in a kit which includes all the popular sizes. The part number escapes me at the moment.
tctractors,good to hear you are out and about. Came across brand new Range Rover here on weekend. Well this is American version,Brite red and black. Sports model. Would never last in your world. It is an hour drive from here. Will send a picture when I come across it
Strachan, if its the D section O rings you are speaking of, I have about 4 tray box's of them that will last my life out, I think I bought them in Auction sales in amongst other parts, I have seen them listed in the 1 Safe Source books but its not something I would buy as stock. B.P. Range Rovers used to be used by Farmers at 1 time, now they are the chariot of the "Well Heeled" (Money Rotten) as a half fancy 1 costs around £100'000 mark, the Chinese buy Yellow ones from the U.K. at around the £250'000 spot, I drove a fancy banger (brand new R/Rover) around the Eastnor Test Track about a month ago, it realy was fantastic off road but I would have no need for such a banger. tctractors
Loved the old CAT metal backed seals in the flanges, thank God and CAT they haven't made any in thirty years, lol.
Last I knew there was still a kit full of them at the shop when I retired. Someone is going to stumble on those someday and wonder what the heck they are! Two problems with them is the steel part would flex and crack causing a leak and when replacing them they would fall out as they were a loose fit in the hose end which probably was the reason they flexed and failed in the first place! As for the D-ring seals once in a while I have found where someone installed them where a standard o-ring was to be used. The last time this was on one of the pumps under the cab of a 980G. As it is just about impossible to get to this fitting with the cab in place I believe this was installed wrong at the factory as I know I was the first person to pull cab since this loader left the factory!
It's the same here with what we call Pick-up trucks. Used to be very simple basic vehicles, no upholstery other than vinyl seat covers and rubber floor mats, fancy models actually had a radio. If you got the inside all mucked up you could open doors and have at it with garden hose and have at it! What is now sold as truck now days I would not even want to walk past with greasy hands for fear of causing many dollars of damage needing professional cleaning. An the fancy rims with those low profile tires don't look like they would last a day running around a quarry!
Walking through a mall the other day, saw a single rear wheel F350 diesel all pimped out... $65,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I put that kind of money out, it better come with a jacuzzi tub and a couple willing ladies half my age.....
Yair . . . Lantraxco That F truck would be close to double that here, this is our basic work horse at a real good price . . . . . Toyota / LandCruiser 70 / GXL Cab Chassis *price excludes on road costs and dealer delivery fees Price:$62,790 The basics: Series: VDJ79R VIN (prefix): JTELV71J600###### Model release date: August / 2012 Category: PU/CC 4X4 Body Type: Cab Chassis Doors: 2 Seats: 2 Engine: 4.5Litre (4461cc) - V8 Engine Number (prefix): 1VD-####### Fuel Type: Diesel Transmission: 5-speed manual Drivetrain: 4WD Warranty: Three years / 100,000km Cheers.
That's insane, even with our relative Dollars near a 1.3 exchange rate. I know I've got some years behind me but I can remember well when the price was 10% of that, with every available option packed on!
I once bought a Land Cruiser (Toyota thing) as the "Firm's" chariot, it lasted with me about a month before I tried to talk the bride into having the beast as it was no good for me, this ended up with me getting a Bollicking from the bride and lucky for me selling it to a driver on a site, this was some years ago the cost was £10'500 taxed on the road, the first Range Rovers cost around £2'000 ish new in 1969/70, my new banger cost with tax £31'000, its a lot for a box of bits but it fits in well with the job. tctractors
some pics of jobs done recently
and a few more
and here is the last few
Hey, I spotted a Morooka in there, lol. Has that machine got a slinger belt on the front?
Lantraxco, the man that owns this chariot also runs other Morooka kit with the Cummins 855 motors in them, this sand hopper thing is fitted with a CAT motor, it does have a 180 deg slinger belt in the front and has just been converted to this set up in Ireland (McCusker Engineering) there is an issue with the engine as a low oil level light is flashing as the engine stops running ?? I have been to busy to look into things as yet, the dumper thing needs about a week spent on it to tidy things up and get it ready for work. tctractors p.s. any ideas on the flashing bulb??
Talking about Land Cruisers, here's one I spotted on a visit to Colombia in March. Tidy
And for our Land Rover afficionados, a V8 Defender .........
tctractors,nice pics. The last 3 pics in 505,a D-8 correct? We never see any Cat over here without a cab. Is that the norm over there or is it over due to repairs and paint?
Well, it has the Hitachi cab, so if it's a CAT motor it should be a 3126B I believe. Not too familiar as it's too new for me, but older than the newest parts book I have. An in between model. To my knowledge no low oil level sensor, but low oil pressure for sure. Is the light on that ugly metal box with the fuel gauge and such in it? Second from the bottom? I think on that range of machines the CAT display panel is on the floor behind the seat, don't ask why. If it's not just the harness knocked loose from the CAT oil pressure sender then it's time to have some young lad with a laptop plug himself in to the engine computer? Ah, I love those big elephants with the cummins power plants, big gentle lovely things, 3300's probably or the Hitachi version CG150, 425+ horsepower, drums of fuel and rubber tracks for miles. Somewhere I think I have pictures of a job where seven of them were all running nose to tail in a large circle building a lake, hauling muck out to be hauled away on highway trucks and hauling clay back in to line the bottom with. Funny thing to get excited about, but that's me, lol.
First long reach that I have seen that is a cable hoe. I read about them a few years back, when a fellow was wanting a long reach. Interesting concept, to me.
Yair . . . That's interesting that you didn't like the 'Cruiser tctractors . . . what were the issues? I always was a Landrover man, had three or four of them in my younger days. These days though it seems a Landrover or an "F" truck will get you to where you're going right enough but you need a Toyota to get you back. (big grin) Cheers.
I've seen pictures of many that were built this way, makes sense if you think about it, takes all the leverage strain and cylinder weight off the boom and stick, puts the pull down at the end of the stick where it will act most effectively when digging.
B.P. the CAT D8K is my toy that has in the past worked massive hours, it worked on a Landfill site for over 12 years clicking up around 250 hrs a month, all the other D8's and D6's have been sold off from this site with this last tractor being kept as the owner likes to have a D8K to look at, there was also a D9H on the site but now this D8K is known as "Tony's D8" I try to keep it fettled up and run it as I like, there is around 3'000 tons of Muck to flatten that has been tipped in a manky spot that I am going to take my time pushing about asap, it does have a ROP'S cab for it but I spent half my life working with D8's etc with NO cabs that it's my choice to run it without a Fowl House collecting the heat and dust, its my "Retro CAT" tctractors will post more later.
I did a bit of work on one of those long reach hydraulic/rope hybrids in a sand quarry in the mid 80s. Interesting idea. Hydraulics to throw the stick out, rope to drag it back in and a sliding counterweight to balance the act. This one wore a Priestman badge though.
I've got to ask, why the hybrid design on the long reach??
This will test my spelling some, the design of the Priestman/ R.B Variable Counter-Weight Excavator is a top bit of Tech thinking that works very well reducing the dead weight of the long reach arm also giving it real power to dig on the haul in cable, as already posted the workings are simple with a large counterweight connected to a ram (cylinder) to control to out of the dipper arm, then a powerful winch to pull the arm inwards, the Boom and Bucket are on the usual ram (cylinder) control like an ordinary Excavator, the power in loading is all on the winch line that is low set on the dipper to increase digging performance. on the Cruiser thing I like my chariots to be like my Bride "Tough and Bumpy" tctractors
tctractors,I have to steal your line. Anniversary today,41 yrs,I have to add to the card,I love you ruff and bumpy! That is priceless
Thanks for the explanation on the long reach.
Last Friday this tractor stopped for teabreak then wouldn't slew one side.Totally jammed with no sign of trouble before teatime. The driver is of top standard and knows the score. Chap came up from Gloucestershire way to run the gauges.Slewing controle valve was removed to find it scored.Has been repaired ?? and is awaiting refit on Monday. They removed ccu to access oil line.I have done this job before with winch in situ.Fingers crossed it works out. One of my D8's was to be brought in if it turned sour to cover the downtime.The owners want to buy one of mine as they need 2 to cover the expansion.Looks like I may be hiring one to them as I won't sell so they seem keen for me to help them out instead. They are sound chaps and it would be nice to work with some proper scraper hands again
T.C.If this thing isn't cured and it has to come apart, your name has been mentioned if they need help.They are pretty handy themselves. I have a d8 out working at the moment and it's going dead in the battery department. It starts every other day fine,but then it's dead.Will need jump leads in the morning.Put new starter on off other d8 and it seemed to cure it.Batteries tested good.I will drive it tomorrow myself and disconnect it tomorrow night incase something is draining. On the other d8,I have put brand new batteries and a recon starter on . Wouldn't work,was just clicking on the celenoid. Took recon starter off and returned to the shop.he says he 'found something ' and tested it sound.No charge on the pennies.Puts it back on yesterday and same thing,just can hear the dog gear thing clicking in but not turning.Rather annoyed at this as I've been saying this chaps useless,and I 'm up against strong opinions that he's the best in the business. ..........Anyway,I have a spare knacker that T.C.sort of fixed as a back up He was never happy with it,but I chucked it on and it fired right up.As TC says 'what can't speak can't lie' I have asked this 'expert's come out on site and tell me where I'm going wrong...He won't come. Now then,to be fair,I have no idea about electrics and have simplified it to his starter being built up wrong twice now as the old spare starter gets it going.Am I right?
This tractor is running quite nicely apart from an occasional wobble in the battery department . That's old D8's for you.....
Well looks like drama all the way to me, the last few days I have been fettling my toys (D8K and 951) to take to the Welland Steam Show that is local to me, also in my local Town we have the Upton upon Severn Rock and Blues Festival, its all free with bands playing all day (Fri though Sunday) on every spot possible, yesterday and today the Bride and myself walked into Town to get all shook up, there is also a Beer Festival linked in to the action so I tried 3 Pints of the local Cyder, it should have been called SuiCyder as it made my face go blurry with the thought of another Pint to sort my eyes out a bit to risky. tctractors
tctractors,good to hear from you. Nice of Nicky to wake the sleeping bear. Weather must be nice for you to take a walk with the bride. Did you walk back home also. We have had temps.of 30+ for almost a month now. Paying a heavy price with natural and man made fires.
yes....love reading this thread
Blk prince, the Bride is a keep fit "Nutter" swimming a Mile every morning at 6.30am, at this time I an still walking about the House in my under-krackers struggling with the phone charger task, the 2 1/2 mile walk into Town is seen as a just pop up the road by the Bride with me having to be dragged along like a lazy child, the Rock & Blues is totaly free with No charge at any of the locations so instantly it needs my support, the walk home on the both afternoons we attended needed lots of "hang on Love" as I needed to attend to watering duty's behind the many trees, this followed with the Bride giving me the look Mothers give children just before they give them a smack, I of coarse said there was something "Off" with the Sui~cyder as 3 Pints of Vimto hardly usualy wets my lips never mind make my face go a Blur, on finaly managing to reach the Hovel I pushed some effort into making myself a Cheese snack that resulted into a right Fiasco with the wrapper and yet another Bollicking. Upton upon Severn Rock & Blues = a Great Time. tctractors
Aaa I can now see,you do get away from the tools for a bit of fun. Good on you. Good on the bride keeping you fit. By the time Inpost this,your day will be done. Cheers.
Ha ha.good man
some pics of jobs done recently
and a few more
and finally some more.
The usual few verbs to help out the snaps some, the Cat F/Drive is on a 47A, I have just stuffed a new dead shaft into it, plus a new top pinion and 3 bit intermediate gears, hub,bull gear,th bearings plus outer carrier, the tin roof thing keeping all the fluid off the job used to be the cover for the Wicket at Lords, the yellow things are my toys, the VC20 excavator is proving a bit of a pain, firstly with snapped off bolts, then the new track groups (47 section) are a link short each side ??? so the task is dragging on some, the Volvo Dumper ? A30D possibly had a slight engine oil leak at 20 Ltrs a day needing the front plate dropping to peep up at the dirty spot the oil was leaking from, as usual it was pissing down rain so crawling under a dumper is a good dry place to spend a few moments, this is when I spotted a few issues with firstly the wheel flange, then the tie rod bolts that keep control of the front axle, lucky the dumper had been serviced just before I get asked to check the sump plug? the rubber duck thing was down in Bristol, I had to check it over and service it listing all items that needed correcting, the bent bucket ram topped the list. tctractors
Well,good work.i know I repeat myself but,hard to crab onto the lack of Rops.
Tony, I like your portable roof, thou kind of tough to take from job to job. Did someone shorten the tracks due to them being worn so bad, and no one know it had happened? Are the older Cat's your machines, they appear to be in pretty good shape. Thanks for sharing, the pictures and some humor, always enjoyed by me.
dirty' on the short track thing the Quarry Forman tells me the chains had never been cut down ? its not my problem as I had no other instruction other than chop em' off, then stuff em' back on, just Donkey work with no brain needed, the portable roof thing was a nice touch but I have managed to work in the near constant rain fall with the odd dry day for 45 years so it was a bit OTT, on the old bangers the little shovel is mine the dozer is not owned by me but I play with it, we took them to the Welland Steam Show as a 1 truck load (D8K+ blade and CCU - 951B 4x1 and ripper) about 20 tons all up, they are in near Mint Nick as I am a dab hand with a duster. tctractors
tctractors,2nd picture in post #530. Do you still come across some installations that use bolts or caps crews that are drilled and require wire ties?
Tc I have a couple of questions I have komatsu d65ex-15 pumping transmission oil into one one of the final drives can I replace the nessary seals through stripping the hub or do I have to head further into transmission secondly I have to replace a very old faithful 1" drive facom ratchet what would you recommend as a fellow Brit
B.P. the wire lacing is not common now the last time I did this was on Scania LBS140 half shaft outer drive caps, Track Marshal Crawlers love a bit of lock wire also as I have a 135 to do work on soon I might be lacing up its bits, I use copper wire if I can for this task. Strachen, I have an inch drive ratchet that is like new as I never use it as its to heavy to realy work with, I have long socket bars with the sliding drive in 1-1/2" and 1"drive that I use to crack loose the fasteners often with the alloy pipe extender, then I use a Snap On 3/4" long handle ratchet to do the Donkey Work, I also have all the adaptors to change the drive up or down from 3/4" to 1 1/2"or down to 1/2" including the swap out end that changes the ratchet to a Breaker Bar, this bit of bling has been faultless for many years so although its a bit spendy it's been top value that has been probably the best tool I have ever bunged out for, its about 3ft or more long and made from good stuff. tctractors p.s. I gave an 1" drive Britool Rachet away to a pal as he liked it and I hated the thing, go with the Snap Off long handle 3/4" drive and save your back.
Thank you for sharing with us gear heads this Boston Power Cat link of that rebuild and all of those super pictures.I could look at them every day along with all the other pics on the site.Keep 'em coming.! http://bostonpowercat.com/caterpillar-d8-bulldozer-pictures/
RonG, I am very pleased to hear that the bostonpowercat site has managed to keep you going back for more, I hope you had the volume stoked up some to get the half speed thrill at the "Gun Smoke" bits, I could comment on the D9 unload job as if I had been the pilot that tractor would have been off that Charabanc in 1 hit, Karl was trying to be gentle on the trailer, the other day I stuffed up the D8K and my 951 on 1 trailer as 1 load, all on 7 axles with only 1 drive axle as the tractor unit was a Mid Lift outfit, I will post a snap or 2 soon to show how to fill a deck with "Yellow" stuff, Karl has some Mega chunks of CAT iron with some interesting projects soon to be posted on his site so keep your eye out. tctractors
I hate to go off the side like that but sometimes you have no choice,I have done it many times over the years.I thought he did a nice job.It can be can be a challenge to be "gentle" while balancing on the deck and knowing that every move you make has an effect somewhere,either tearing up the deck or worse. We always have a sawmill that will saw some five quarter hardwood when it comes time to replace it.Yes.of course,it's the drivers job. That D8 that you overhauled looks very much like the model that we had at Ft Leonard Wood while I was training back in 1960 along with the TD-18 among other things,those were the days,huh?
Hi TC.The d8 that you did the brakes on last year is working lovely still but not charging batteries.sent alternator away to be repaired but apparently there is nothing wrong with it. The belt was tight and he says it's pumping 18 amps out.I have no idea what I'm talking about.Any ideas?
Not to stick my nose in on TC's job but is the alternator one with an internal or external regulator? If internal regulated does this D8 have an amp-meter? I have seen where the amp-meter will fail and not let the power through it. Other than that it sounds like a broken wire, poor connection or bad earth somewhere from the batteries and the alternator.
kshansen, I don't want to sound horrid, but nicky and anything to do with electrical just anything, is best listed as Doom, but credit to him he makes every effort to avoid the stuff, give him a heap of D8 bits and he can screw together a tractor, give him a fuse and look out!!!! sadly to test the system for me is simple but nicky lacks the multi meter and know how, the simple test is Via battery Voltage engine stopped and running as a good starting point, nicky has taken the alternator into a shop to be checked and found good, so its something simple I feel. tctractors
Kshansen, I don't know the difference between internal and external regulators to be honest.TC sums me up as well as he fixes my tractors. I'm pretty good at cooking steak though.
Well as long as you don't use an electric grill you should be fine! Maybe if you tell TC you have a couple on the grill he'll come over and look at the D8?
And a couple (or six) on ice!
Yair . . . Bloody hell it would be good to catch up with some of you fellers before a bloke falls offa the perch . . . not gonna happen but its a nice thought. Cheers.
Yeah Scrub, I wouldn't mind hoisting a few with most of the folks on here. We are pretty well spread out though, probably to keep small children and farm animals safe mebbe?
Well the "Firm" (me by myself) is steaming along as usual, on Monday I popped down a F/Drive on a Farm Billy Chariot a CAT Challenger75D, then in the afternoon chopped some tracks off a JS 220?, at the Farm job I had a worker called David help me with the Tele Handler lifting the rubber band and case task, it seems David had a Drama unfold involving a JCB Fast Track with a big dump trailer and 16 tons of Cow **** (with no straw in) somehow the trailer tipped up as he was just entering a local Village, dumping its valuable Cargo onto the road and tipping the Tractor over, it was getting dark at the time so the Motor Biker (High Powered 2 wheeled thing) failed to spot the big brown spot in front of him in time, lucky for him the landing was soft and warm with no harm to him or his Bike that was stood up perfect in the Brown stuff, the full team of Flashing light boys turned up as David was knocked out in the Tractor plus 16 tons of Goo is a big Event, the Biker was hosed down by the Fire Service, the Police stood around looking and laughing some, the Medic team treating poor David cut off his Work Overalls to check for injury to find that the "Only" clothing he was wearing was the Overalls and by this time half the Village was stood around Oh'ing and Ah'ing at the shape in front of them, sometimes being in the Goo is not bad,if you type in "Motorcycle accident Newbold on Stour" you will see how things unfolded. tctractors p.s. I also have a Tripple Nickle chariot to sort for this Farmer
what a classic tale TC :notworthy :drinkup
Merv, even if you type in Tractor Accident Newbold on Stour you get some goodish pictures of the tractor and Bike plus the crowd stood around looking at poor David lacking his "Reach me Downs" Farming lads are always trouble, Farm yard Dogs are my sworn enemy, I am not scared about getting bitten by the scanky things, they all seem Hell bent on eating my 10 am sandwich or wanting to sleep in the front seat of my Charabanc, so I have to park my truck handy so 1 eye is on it all the time, I dragged a scruffy stinking hound out of the back of it just the other day that was heading for the pilot seat, the Farmer said "he is OK he will just sleep" my reply was it might be forever if I catch the manky critter snoozing in my chariot. tctractors
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/biker-left-browned-collision-farmyard-7744242
Well I think that just proves a guy cannot multi task was reading this post having quite a chuckle to myself whilst having my few minutes of peace a day and going about my evening constitutional whilst chuckling to my self and laughing at poor Dave and the motorcyclist misfortune I forgot I still had the bath running luckily remembered befor the water quite made it over the top it certainly brightened up an already eventful day
Absolutely classic.My sons are laughing theirs heads off looking at the pic
What's the job market like in the UK at the moment? I know of a dozen Aussies who'll be looking for a different line of work very soon.
There was an offer on social media yesterday of 11 cracket bats to be given away free to anyone who could make better use of them ........ :tong
What are their trades? American contractor Peter Kiewit Sons Co. has big operations in Australia and is complaining the cannot get people.
Nige Explain to our north american brethern the horror of cricket that happened yesterday
Still got charging problem with one of the D8H's.Batteries tested good in yard 2 months ago when it went out to work.Never started since without jump from the D5.Fan belts on good belts and pulleys,alternator belt good and tight.Plenty of roar off the fan.Sent alternator away for rebuild but came back as good.No charge coin wise.Checked master key switch good.Checked if any wires came off negative post on battery.None,only earthed direct to tractor chassis.Checked all wiring visually to the key and ameter sound.Wire to starter celenoid doesn't look too handsome but she starts great so not touching.Took earth strap off alternator to clean up and noticed that where it earthed to engine it was rotten to the core.Replaced entire earth cable and ends,scrubbed mounting to engine up with emery cloth and fired it up.Ampeter showed brief charge for about 20 seconds then F/A.....nowt. Worked it all day,swithed it off tonight and tried to restart it straight away.Almost dead flat.
Just incase some of you here think I know what I'm doing,here is a pic of some D8 starter motors.I had one rebuilt and couldn't get it to work . Fortunately,I had an emergency 'get me going' starter that TC hobbled together with superglue and some old lego bits that he gave me with a Government health warning and this had ,indeed,kept me going . Anyway,the penny finaly dropped with me that I'd been trying to fit a D343 starter to it.I've only ran 9 D8's in over 20 years and still know f/a about the buggers.
"one of these things is not like the other"....... Recheck your batteries and all connections, either you have a bad cell in a battery or a bad connection. My guess is either way the alternator is working but a bad cell or resistance in thew wiring is causing it to see high enough voltage that it cuts off thinking the batteries are chock full, thank you. With the engine stopped, check voltage across the two batteries, then check it again while trying to start with no boost, and again after starting the engine. You should see widely different numbers because of the issue you're having.
Careful Nige, they've already taken guns from the law abiding subjects and are now in the process of taking away your kitchen knives, you keep talking about cricket bats, your government will soon require that teams keep their bats locked up in secure storage and check them out for practice or games. If cricket bats are outlawed only outlaws will have cricket bats :tong
Queenslander, I think it would be some struggle to find any work in the U.K. for those Slackers, funny thing I went to a local Military Show come Sale, there was some Italian Rifles on offer with a badge saying "Never Used ~ Only Dropped" is that like those Cricket Bats, the Guns were very cheap but no takers. tctractors
Its like a Double post? of a sort, today I stripped out the Slew Bearing from a JS excavator sadly finding 12 snapped off bolts in the top deck that is going to be a pain, but dread of all dreads its back to the Farm Billy Chariot tomorrow, that involves stuffing together the stripped out CAT Challenger and those pesky Farm Hounds, the Bride has some lovely Smoked Ham that I can stuff in some bread for my 10am chomp, the smell of the Ham will be driving those Manky critters nuts, but I have a plan! that is to put my edibles in the Cab of the Challenger and lock the door, this might seem OTT but I need my L/Rover door open all the time to get my tools etc, these Farm Dogs are the slickest Food Bandits you ever could meet, I am ready for them this time. tctractors
And that would be a bad thing because????
Hey tctractors, do you charge extra when the owners dogs eat your lunch? I guess one should be happy they don't try to lift a leg on yours when you are working after they ate your lunch.
Well here it just wouldn't seem sporting to shoot a bad guy with a cricket bat, though I would if I had to, lol
I saw the same advertisement, but it was for French WWII rifles, "never fired and only dropped once"
OK, but Kiewit is still looking for people in Australia... There are VERY good to work for...ESOP stock plan, the velvet handcuffs...
Nicky68, You have a bad ammeter or a bad wire between your ammeter and starter solenoid. If this thing hasn't been messed with to much there is a plastic plug with about six wires in it 2 feet directly above the starter, typically where they fail. TIO
Nicky68, Those red button thingies AKA circuit breakers could also be failed, very likely. TIO
Thanks lads, I realised that the live wire going to the alternator ends up as that 'not too handsome' wire that conects to the live stud thing on the starter.I will replace that and see how it goes.Will also recheck the batteries when I get chance.I don't think much is up with it
Ironorricle,the little wire that goes onto the positive celenoid is definitely tired looking.Does it go to the ameter or the key?
Nicky68a, Starts at alternator goes in plug to ammeter then to circuit breaker back through plug then to starter solenoid. TIO
The "Good Old Days"! That's what a wiring diagram looked like when I started playing at being a mechanic. The wiring diagrams for the newest equipment like our 980K would overload the Heavy Equipment Forums servers! The big problem I had was the management at the quarry thinks the training we got back in 1975 should be enough for the new equipment, and the same pay rate was applicable!
the diagram for one switch is more than that on any thing nowadays
Kshansen, Yeah, same deal on the parts counter side of things, most dealers (and customers, mechanics, etc.) still think all you need to be a parts puke is a pencil and a pulse. I started as a field mechanic and for health reasons ended up years later working parts counters. As the range of models multiplied and the technology came in to every area, the learning curve approached vertical. One of the most happy days of my life was when a field mechanic that was prone to abusing us for getting the wrong parts for him came to me with his head down, told me he had been told to order all his own parts on the computer like the shop techs, and asked very humbly if I would help him. He said "I don't know how you guys do it, there's a dozen choices in here for every part!" Yup. Which relay did you need? LOL
On D8H/K's I don't need a wiring diagram its simple, its so simple CAT made it harder than it needed to be? the other day I was in deep on a D6R with all sorts of drama going on, the massive sheets that you unfold from a service book would cover my Bed, the D8H wiring sheet is in the parts book on 1 little page, I still have to put on my spec's to read it though. tctractors
Those and the ones before them are the machines that built the world
there was another one doing the rounds, a picture of Rolf Harris with the text saying 'the onlt Ozzie who won't be out before dinner-time'
Ironorricle.Thanks for taking the time over the diagram.I will take it with me on Friday when I next see that tractor. Richardjw,ha ha.
Well I think I was lucky most of the time with our local Cat Parts people. And the best of the lot was when they had one of the Tech area mechanics who decided to move over to the parts counter. Real handy when I needed to know if I could pull the governor apart while leaving the pump on the engine to replace a couple seals. He could walk me through the steps and point out how to keep the weights in place. A bit off topic, there was a time I ordered a parts book for my Sportster when I got there to pick it up they hand me a service manual. I say "NO I ORDERED A PARTS BOOK!" Owner of the shop comes over and asks why I would want a parts book??? I relied "TO ORDER PARTS!" I've always rather that if a mistake was made it was mine. Back in the days before FAX machines or computers it was always a pain when you had a major repair, like a rebuild of a 988 transmission, to have to look up all the part numbers, write them all down then phone the order in and hope no mistakes were made along the way. A bad connection or having a bit of a cold could make it fun with some letters: A, K, J,....B, E, C, D. G.
LOL, oh yeah, the old CAT part numbers, 1M9647, etc.... it was always amusing to hear whatever words people came up with for the letters.... And of course some of the techs always preferred the less socially acceptable ones. Mary, Michael, Mother, Mud, Mike, Melon, Mess.....
Yair . . . Yup, the phonetic alphabet was developed for a reason. Cheers.
I fitted a new feed wire from positive post on starter to alternator but made no difference. I have noticed however,that the D8 puts charge back into the donor tractor through being wired up with jump leads from d8 starter to d5 batteries.I then ran the jump leads from the D8 starter it's own batteries but no luck.At least I know the ameter is working fine.
Some pics
Nicky, Is this a 12 volt system? Which I have never seen in a tractor this size! If not the batteries are wired wrong! They are wired 12 volt. TIO
Nicky, As we look at this battery picture left post of left battery, red wire should be (+) right post of left battery should be (-) jumper wire then should go to left post (+) of right battery, and right post (+) of right battery should go to master switch. Confirm and change.....TIO
From that photo it certainly appears so.......... Also please get shot of those poxy battery terminals with the little screws in them. You don't get electrical contact worth a damn in them and it's why they melt so quickly. I'd replace them with either soldered or crimped terminals if it was mine.
I wrote that wrong! The jumper goes from - on left batt to + on right batt ...Tio
Wired wrong?????.heck,I never thought of that.Its 24v for sure.I have had loads of these on and off before and don't recall wiring them up wrong.Would they not of blown up in my face?? You have me thinking now,will have to check them.Thanks
Doesn't even look like 12V to me, it looks like positive to positive on the jumper which essentially give you nothing, yeah? They would kind of cancel each other out?
I have just blown the pic up on my phone ( it's abit clearer than the Web pic) and the left battery has the positive red cable where it should be.the negative post on the left battery is conected to the positive post on the right hand battery (out of site under transmission controle)and that is what I thought it was supposed to be???? I will have a damn good look at them though when I next go up to it.
Nige,what is wrong with the terminal conections I can soon go and buy some genuine Cat ones if needed all though they have worked fine over the years I'm open to suggestions though as this ain't the first time I've had starting problems with D8's over the years . It's allways the bloody D8's .The d4/5 and 6 tractors never gave bother!
Nicky, personally I wouldn't use that type. IMHO they are designed for quick short-term repairs in the field without the need for special tools - because generally no mechanic carries a battery cable terminal crimper in their toolbox. You'll note that generally OEM battery connections are either soldered or crimped/swaged to the cables. The way those cables are conneected to get 2 x 12V batteries into series to produce 24V just looks plain wrong - unless the + and - terminals on the 2 batteries are on different sides of the battery.
Nicky, think about it... the batteries are the same 8D, and you have the jumper connected to the right most post on the left battery and the right most post on the right battery... both positive posts! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. Both negative posts connected to the machine so the batteries are just kind of floating there doing nothing.... they're in parallel but the positive terminals are only connected to each other, so you don't see the 12V anywhere.
I did say before that Nicky with even a 10 amp fuse is Trouble coming fast, but just because a lead is red on Nicky's tractor hardly means its the live + lead??? as long as earth is hooked to the master switch (Standard CAT) the lead colour is what ever?? if it turns over on the starter motor its 24 volt, so then its just a matter of checking the earth to master thing. tctractors p.s. goodish 983 N.L.
"Still got charging problem with one of the D8H's.Batteries tested good in yard 2 months ago when it went out to work.Never started since without jump from the D5." :tong
Just looking at the picture it does look like it is connected for 12 volt in parallel. I understand that at times wires are not the color on would want to use but what is available. Looking at the picture as it is in the photo the red cable is connected to the - terminal of the left battery and appears to go to the disconnect switch. The cable from the other terminal of the left battery ( the + ) should be connected to the left (- terminal of )the right battery. The last terminal, the right one on the right battery should have a wire going to the BATT terminal on the solenoid of the starter. It could be that this is the way it is wired but only seeing three of the terminals and not being able to see where each wire goes when it is out of the frame of the picture makes it hard to be sure it is in fact wired right or wrong. I will also agree very much with Nige on those screwy cable ends. Hate to recall how much trouble they caused before where I worked finally broke down and purchased the crimper tool. That along with good heat shrink tubing with the hot melt glue inside eliminated almost all the battery connection problems at our location. Only trouble is every time a machine came in from another plant we would have to replace a couple ends and or batteries when on a cold morning one would go pop! Hydrogen and sparks can be a bad combination!
I guess I'm going to have to take a close look at these cables and terminals because as TC says,my colours and cables could be all sorts. ......I also think Nige is correct in the terminals been in different positions on the separate batteries,but I'm going to take a really good look with the glasses on!. The terminal connections will have to wait abit as I don't have any crimping and soldering skills other than a hammer and superglue. Kshansen,I agree with your coments on having all the right terminals and earth straps etc and ,as Nige has suggested,I really need to get these basics in order. TC,all these electrical drama's are beyond my brain capacity and you know how busy I am with other things . Can't you just sprinkle some of your magic fairy dust over it when you next see it????? Tommy says hi
I was taught for 24 volt series: Power side: Battery TWO NEGATIVE to Battery ONE POSATIVE to Starter and Ground side: Battery One NEGATIVE to Battery TWO POSATIVE to Ground
First you have to identify exactly where the positive and negative terminals are located on the two batteries in your photo, it ought to be stamped on the case right next to each terminal. If the two batteries are from different manufacturers then there is a chance that the +ve and -ve terminals could be on different sides despite the fact that BCI standard for an 8D battery calls for the +ve terminal on the left and the -ve terminal on the right of the battery as they are oriented in Nicky's photo on the previous page.
Nicky, if TC is too busy I'd be glad to pop over and take a look. Just need to send first class round trip tickets from Syracuse NY, you do run a tab at a good pub I could use right?
With the new fangled meters these days with the digital readout and auto ranging that you sometimes get for free at your supplier with your purchase it takes the guesswork out of polarity/voltage questions as they present themselves.Ron G
I allways run a tab mate.A man's got to have a pint from time to time
Well this Month all my jobs have been Dog's that nobody else wanted to tackle I am sure, the Lemon of the Month was a JS130 (nasty little swinger) with 13 swing bearing bolts snapped off, someone had tackled these bolts at 1 time with little thought or ability, this set me a nasty task on a bit of kit (JCB) I am known not to like, this is the 5th swing bearing I have changed this year and would easily be the Nastiest 1 in years so pictures coming soon, there has also been the common track work and a Volvo Dumper A 30??something with the turret bearings knackered, the dumper is totaly devoid of anything looking like grease, its the way I like kit! tctractors
It is amazing how so many people don't grease a machine. The cheapest repairs are preventive maintenance.
But in my experience many maintenance managers interpret Preventive Maintenance as "Preventing Maintenance" ........
Seems I've heard that one before
And it's still as true as when you first quoted it Ken .....
The Volvo Dumper owner is possibly as bad as his drivers as they never grease anything and he never buys any grease, If I gathered up all the grease on the Dumper and took a photo of it, it would be a blank screen, the kit they run is the good stuff with lots of the latest equipment, the fact it never gets even a squirt of oil on a door lock is painful to me in some ways, but at least when I fit a new Turbo to the engine I am allowed to change the oil and filter, but it usualy means 1 Turbo = 1 Oil Change with most excavators kept until 4'000 hr mark, so its around 3'000 hrs to the first oil swap, this Co is not the record holders for lack of servicing, another outfit right close to my Home that could be a great handy to home job for me, run all their kit with what must be "Sealed for Life" engines as the dip sticks are never used, they don't buy oil or grease, they just swap the kit in every 18 months to 2 years, some of the drivers I have known for years they all tell me they are told to drive the thing not to look at it, the nutty thing is if they scratch the back weight or damage any panels the owner makes them pay the cost of correction, but pull out a dip stick and they risk the Bullet, I never do any work for this outfit as the owner is not to my taste, sometimes its good to distance yourself from these people. tctractors
It is very good to distant yourself. Have you come across "auto greasers" very often? Over here there is one maker of trailers who puts them on his units at time of purchase. If kept full there seems to be good service.
BP, I sharp copped on to keep clear of rubbish outfits as all they do for you is cost you work, the good Company's soon pick up on things and don't want you in their yard, its all about being trustworthy within their World so I always keep things true and correct, on the Auto grease thing it is a common fitment on lots of equipment with the hard grease system being favoured, but you still have to fill the pot?? so it has its limits, on some Heavy Haulage outfits I work on there is 3 units fitted due to all the axle (power Steer) lines and length of the outfit, had a busy day today as I stuffed a replacement track drive gearbox into the VC20 long reach thing then fitted some new innards (Shaft and Nut) into a track recoil unit on a Volvo excavator, I think it was a 21 tonner CLC model, tomorrow it's an eye test firstly for me then onwards to service and fettle another Volvo ?CLC in a Recycling Yard, perhapse I should put up some snaps soon. tctractors
Perhaps? For sure
And where I retired the guy who supposedly was taking my place doing maintenance and at least minor repairs on the equipment has, from what I've heard, spends at the most one day a week working on equipment. Most of the time he is out running a machine for someone who is missing that day. And the equipment manager at the main office in the next state wants to know why he is not keeping up with the computer records online!
But we're saving money by operating short staffed! We are! Wait, why aren't we running? Why are all my employees standing around looking at angry truck drivers and no product is being made and nothing is being loaded and sold? Damn employees are just worthless! :deadhorse
some pics of me at work
and some more
and some more pics to add
and some more rubbish
some more for the list
and finally!
tct,when you are on a job,do you have vote hide your blocking and carry it with you? Over here,any blocks left laying around goes into someone's pickup and heads off to the campfire. Grrrr
A few snaps of my latest efforts that I thought might be of interest, the red 555 I still have to set the overhead on the Cummins V8 engine, but its not common over here, the JS220 the owners gave me 4 hours to fit new tracks and re-seal the track adjusters, I could have done it in 3 hours easy but 4 hours wage is better, what do you think of the Funnel on the Volvo 380??? the best way to clear a workshop is to press up a recoil spring, the assembly is out of a Volvo 2?CLC (20 ish tonner) the fitter in the snap is "Pete" screwing on the big nut with the gauge showing 20 ton in the 100 ton cylinder section of the gauge, the cylinder I was using there is a 70 ton thing so I was looking at the wrong scale in the gauge, the old shovel is a 955 45A getting some effort stuffed into the back bits, then the nasty JS130 with a load of snapped off bolts to fetch out and a new bearing to stuff in, this will be the last time I touch this banger. tctractors p.s. the track press thing is on 1"3/4 pin D6 links using a 105 ton cylinder.
One would expect some quality work from you Tony,you could just about eat off of anything that you work on.Ron G
Hey tony Thought of you today we have our d8k in the workshop for a few repairs unusual for a machine of this size to come back to the yard but the extensive alteration to the ripper forced back to the yard after wrestling the cab off and then spending half a day upside down the brake bands are finally sat on the floor a lot of work still to do but might have time for a quick re spray before her next assignment but I don't think she will ever shine like yours unfortunately Ian
Strachan, a good tip on the brake band job is to fit the band onto the drum and check it fits the drum shape correctly without just touching at the 2 ends and the centre area, usualy the linings are fitted to a de-formed steel band that will fail in a few weeks also knackering the drum, the band should be loose on the drum making a spring effect when the 2 ends are forced together, also while you are in the back end I usualy pop off the drum flange and change the Duo-cone seals, you don't need any fancy tooling other than a shop press if you pull out the top pinion assembly, the brake band oil feed lines also need checking including the oil pressure control valve in the R/H side case, this valve is often found with a chunk of crud keeping it open, the clutch thickness needs checking also, if the tractor has a Kelly shank on the back this band job can be a pig to tackle. tctractors p.s. Bp, I only take a few bits of timber packing to a job letting the customer supply the rest, but I always come away with the good bits tucked into the chariot.
I also saw the plant superintendent's job change over the years. Used to be that person was going around to check on how the plant was working, spotting spillage, checking on progress of repair work, making sure workers had the tools needed to do their job. Last few years that job has also taken on running water truck, mowing lawn, cleaning out ditch by road, chasing parts in the city, running scales in morning or afternoon as scale person is not allowed to get any OT, so on and so on!
Yep, along with the reduction in authority to the point all they are is a salaried gopher, can't really make any decisions or approve any expenditures. Sad.
All that Management control stuff is very wearing on the workforce just causing resentment and lack of commitment to the Company, I am lucky that all that crap never touches me as after every job is finished I move on to the next location, if anyone gets on my back about anything that I don't care for, its the last time they see me in their yard as most of my jobs are the ones that their regular mech' is not interested in. Some Company Owners are very good, take the picture of the CAT's up on the trailer, the Boss helped load and drove the Truck as he wanted to, he has an Army of staff around him and I am sure better things to do, but in typical Boss style if he could have put another CAT up on the Neck of the Trailer he would have been happy, the load was getting on some with a D8K and 951 both with all the toys on them (winch & ripper) some Company Owners lead from the Front and like to show that they can do the Work as it needs to be done. tctractors p.s. The Transport Company is not a little outfit, they run a fair size Fleet of fancy kit and Storage including a Bus full of Office staff.
Well I my case the company was a major international one and I have no idea of who I would call the "Owner" so many layers of management spread all over the world. I have no problem for a boss who is willing to get his hands dirty to help out in a pinch, but as Lantraxco says many of these "managers" have had all their powers taken over by guys way up the food chain who have no idea of what is needed in a day to day situation. We have a guy two steps up the ladder from my supervisor who bragged to us when he took over his position years ago that "I don't know anything about making stone, but I know how to make money!" And just recently when he was approached about fixing the roof on the shop at our plant that has leaked for over 10 years he said before he'd spend that money he would tear the shop down. This shop is a steel building about 50 feet wide and 100 feet long and tall enough to raise the body on a 773G truck inside and has a 40 ton overhead crane in it, not just some tin shack to park a couple pick-up trucks in!
tctractors,question in regards to pics in Post 619. Are there weigh scales on public roads or roaming Transport Officers? Are weights monitored?
So you work for Tilcon
Bp, we do have the Police and Vosa (Transport Control) on the roam about also scales and inspection locations, but in the U.K. its legal to haul a good load without all that crap and silly looking trailers the the U.S.A. laws enforce, a 666 in the U.K. is 1 load, a Quad 9 is 1 load, 2 D9's going to the same site is 1 load, as long as you have the axle capacity and the permit to go under STGO the trip is on, that pic in 619 the trailer (we even spell trailer odd) is loaded with about 20 ton of CAT. tctractors
Tony,can you haul tractor and box these days in the UK? Years ago,if d8 had no blade,you could haul it with the box,but you had to unhitched the drawbar pin . Once had a d8 that wasn't chained down or chocked up and had been left with the engine running,sail off a split neck lowloader and wedge itself up on the crash barrier on the central reservation of the M74 motorway south of Glasgow.Nobody hurt thankfully.Just for the record,I was unaware of this practice and would never have allowed it to happen.
Nicky, if the outfit is going to the same location it can all be loaded onto 1 trailer as long as the outfit has enough axle capacity and the STGO permit if needed, a few outfits would take the tractor and box loaded with Muck without a thought. tctractors
Brought a few ton of coal back in the boxes
Hey TC, a bit off topic but I seem to recall you being a fan of the V8 Scania. This old gumboot is for sale nearby for not much money. I just need to pull a float carrying graders and rollers locally, this thing is rated at 120 tonne. Any thoughts on reliability or maintenance requirements on these old girls? Cheers, Greg
Who's this question pointed at??
Queenslander, now you are talking, the 3 series Scania is a great ship to float in, there was a few of those Bonnet control chariots kicking about the U.K. but the real Money was earned with the standard Cab over units, plenty of Irish Haulage Co's would have these trucks running up to crazy speeds with good heavy loads all over Europe and beyond, I myself have sucked in plenty of Klicks in the 143-500's, the 143's started at 400HP then 450 the 470 and 500 ran EDC (Electronic Diesel Control) the Heavy Haulage units usualy ran at 450 HP with gear hubs, the GRS 900 gearbox was standard with the option of the oil retarder, the last 2 R/Hand Drive tractors built (P reg 1996) I drove as well, I do have loads of photos that my son would take when he had a trip out with Dad, he used to have a drive at about 8 years old. tctractors
Tony, did you get the info for the 311 and was it any good to you..?
Nige, it was Deffo GOOD, job done thank you, I was going to pm you my thanks, the calibration thing is something that I always have to read the script and jot down the transitions into an order that I can understand, so it was about 2 hours sorting and 2 min's to do, thanks again tctractors
That's good to hear. Problem was you never gave me a S/N to work with ......
The best sounding truck was the Mack 500 V8 but those Scania V8s were pretty nice too.There is something about the bark of a V8 that draws me )Ron G
Nige, What information does SIMS provide for a Caterpillar serial number. I have a Caterpillar 977L crawler loader SN 14X2022
B model Mack, Maxidyne six I think, straight stack exhaust, 5 and 4 twin sticks, pulling a legal load up switchbacks... sound of thunder, makin' 22 mph... halfway up he caught a breath and took one notch in the brownie... sweet music... good thing too because there was just nowhere to pass, lol. :yup
RonG, the Scania V8 was an option in a Mack that was sold in the U.S.A. I don't know much about the Scania - Mack set up but the Scania rear axle hubs is a dead ringer for a Mack hub, we had a good few Mack bonnet control units in the U.K. at 1 time, the axles used to tear off the spring mounts that were on the top of the case, we used to put long U bolts around the axle case and up through the spring mount to clamp things up better, I think our axle loadings in the U.K. was at the top scale, the old Scania V8 engine started at 335 net HP people called it 350 but the fan and other crap stole a bit, this was fitted in the 140 series truck, it ran on up through the 141 142 series running on top power at 420 HP with the range box. tctractors
I don't doubt that the Mack/Scania guys were in bed together,the Mack sound was a result of some creative work on the exhaust system I think plus the Macks had dual exhaust on most of the the V8s.Youtube will make a believer out of you and now I have time to watch it. The Maxidyne came along in late '67 in some trucks,I got a brand new DM800 in '68 but had to take the 250/Quadruplex because we could not get the Maxidyne yet. We bought 2 more later in the year with the Maxidyne.The B models all had different flavors of the Thermodyne.The Maxidynes all went in the DMs,the R and the U models.They all had straight pipes and the turbo had a decal on it that said "silencing device".I got a "handmedown" DM800 Maxidyne and I never had any issues with noise abatement.The Maxidynes all came from the factory with 5 speeds and variations of either an overdrive on a separate stick,an underdrive on the separate stick or the tranny I liked the best,reverse,high and low in the auxilliery with the 5 speeds in the main box.That gave you a choise of variable speeds in the PTO and was the last flavor that they came out with.Ron G
Thermodyne, right. Thanks RonG!
Date of Manufacture 4th June 1980. Not much else.
Thanks Nige, Bob
Where I just retired they still have one of those, a 1993 one driver from new. Actually had one just before that a bit older but one morning driver was headed south on a local road pulling a empty lowboyand a guy with pick-up hauling a trailer was heading north. Apparently the weight of the trailer was too much for the pick-up and it pushed him over in to the south bound lane. DM800 Mack verses half ton pickup both doing probably 50 mph. To say the least not a good outcome for the pick-up driver. He did manage to bend the frame cross members and damaged all the mounts. Insurance company totaled the Mack so company ordered a new 1993 Superliner with the V-500. 21 years later it's still working hard, now days it has been converted with a wet-line to operate a live bottom trailer for the paving part of the company.
RonG, I once read a Mack drivers handbook that had a section in about servicing the Scania V8 including how to bleed the fuel system, I never took note of the truck the book was for as it was off my radar, there is a few things they say about the Scania V8 these are aimed realy on the 142-143 series trucks, "Your never late with a V8" but the 1 I like is "Chrome don't get you Home" the 142's nearly all sported Skyward Exhaust Pipes. tctractors
The reason I didn't suspect the Scania/Mack association was that Mack had their own V8 (an 864 as I remember) in the B models so if you look at the 6 cylinder Thermodyne (the 211/225/235/250) and the Maxidyne (the 237) it is almost hard to tell them apart unless you know what you are looking for (notwithstanding the gold paint). For all I know the 864 was Scania too but I never heard that. That quadruplex was said to fail behind the torque of the Maxidyne so was one of the reasons that Mack designed the Maxitorque transmission with the triple countershafts.Of course the Maxidyne did not need all those gears either.I don't think in all the years that I was driving Macks that I ever had any transmission trouble with any of them.Just standing beside an idling Mack with the Maxitorque would convince you that the tranny was on the way out but they never failed that I knew of. When Mack added aftercooling to their engine and produced the Econodyne (300HP) they also added a 10 speed similar to the RoadRanger and as far as I know they were bulletproof too,I pulled a lowbed/dumptrailer a lot of miles with one and never had a problem with it.The same company had a few dumptrucks with that setup and the drivers they had would break anything that could be broke. Tony,it seems like all the Scanias that I saw had planetary rears and the Macks (at least the sizes that I drove anyway) had the standard Mack hub until you got up to the quarry truck size at least and even the Mack setup was pretty much trouble free if it was not abused beyond its design parameters.We had a B61 with a 7 cy mixer on it that used to break an axle once in a while but the rest of our fleet were B81s with a couple Autocars thrown in.Ron G
All this talk about Macks and Scanias no one mentioned the little 6 cylinder Scania/Macks. We had a few of them pulling side dump stone trailers in some of the quarries. Don't have any pictures of ours but did find a picture of a toy version: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcrkRg3iU9-eIBT4tfuDy8wVB_s4T60_jTWrEl4MSia_hlGpnnYg That one looks like an old B Model I believe ours were a bit newer R-400's We had many DM800's and B-81's with the quadruplex transmission. Got pretty good at rebuilding them, sometimes two at a time. Apparently drivers were in too much of a hurry to bother stopping before going for reverse as 98% of them failed in the reverse idler. For a time we keep two rebuilt in stock. One for the newer trucks with the pull type clutch and one with the push type clutch. There is a good take out in a storage shed out behind the shop right now!
I enjoy talking about these old Macks,just about every company I worked for over the years had some,one place had all Macks and a gearhead like me picked up quite a lot of info on them in the 22 years I worked for the 100% Mack company.Mack was an innovator over the years with the high torque rise engine for instance and the industry picked up on it and since Mack produced all of their own major components everything was designed to work with every other thing and it simplified parts inventory and service in general.By the time Mack released anything to the public it was generally ready for market.If I had it to do over again and had a choice I would lean toward those Allentown suppliers I think.Ron G
If the Scania info was in a Mack manual that is just about a dead giveaway isn't it Tony.I will listen in a new frame of mind now.I always gave Mack credit for designing and building all of their own peripherals but there are other things that they source on outside market too,I just didn't think that anything as big as an engine would be one of them.I know that you could get a Detroit in them years ago but they called it a Detroit.Ron G
Ron, the Mack hand book said the engine was the Scania V8 option so it narrows things down to around the 1968 zone at the earliest, the V8 had the Holms Cosset built in Hudersfield (U.K.) turbo, the crank I think was forged on Sheffield, with the 140 (0 Series) Cab the work of an English pencil, there is always a good mix of stuff in most products. A few years ago I had a Diamond T 980 Tank Transporter although it was built in the USA it was built for the British Armed Forces, my 980 was first issued to the Canadian forces, they were never used by the US Army as the Mack with the petrol motor was the US mount of desire, it might have been a 6x6 but in the U.K. its thought little of against the 980/981. tctractors
Tony,you smartened me up,again.Google Mack/Scania and there is a lot of info there.Scania has been in Macks pocket for years,they even were part of the six cylinder engines it appears,it mentions the 673 and others.I did not see the 711 mentioned but who knows?That was pretty "old school",naturally aspirated etc.but Mack eventually produced a turbo for it but just to aid in cooling,it did not improve performance any.The 711 did have an appetite for head gaskets.It was rated at 211 horsepower,the same as the 673 with a turbo.There was also a 711 gas job rated at the same hp. The new Titan has a six cylinder rated at 610 hp,so does Scania.HHMMMMMMM.Ron G
Mack was owned by Renault and now Volvo AB
I remember the Renault gig now that you mention it,thanks..............tough gettin' old.Ron G
hello, im a new member, i would like to ask if what is the problem of komatsu pc78-6 always buzzing the E41 if what does E41 means?
some more pics of me at work
and a few more pics
Is the motor out of that D5B TC? looks sick. A little update on the D8 battery charging niggle.I put a new battery on it and it seems fine now although I'm not convinced.They're quite busy at the moment so it will play it's hand soon if not right. To all,I have been meaning to pull the slewing brakes up on a 155 for the last few months.Do you remove those plates on the side of the bevel case above the sprocket and does it have to be switched off or anything as I simply don't know.Will try and do it this week. This old 155A-2 is a good tractor but it just doesn't get the maintenance it deserves,so I try to do abit myself on it If it's not raining.So far it's had a trackseal replaced,some electrical work done in the cab as it had no gauges or warning lights for months!,I have also found a brand new bottom roller that fell off on another drivers watch,and fitted it back on, a new priming pump that I kept going with a rag until the new one arrived,I also had to fight to get some new rip tips and shanktectors to keep the job going.It's currently working with one of the blade torsion bars broken.I think they are welding it up over the weekend.Next job will be to adjust the brakes on it,then a request for new cutting edges will be going in.
I'm sure you'll all spot the slight sprocket drama.I,ve had a brief look at the diagnol brace bolts.They seem tight and not much visual wear as it's been well enough greased in its time.I wonder if the eq bar comes into play here? That side has a brand new dead shaft fitted to it 300 hours ago by Mauribeni Komatsu.They managed to get the first one jammed in and had to cut it out at the cost of 7000 sterling.They had no idea what they were doing.....and that's the dealer!!! I stick to Cat only,not to mention TC is rare handy with final drives.
Nicky, the track chains look like brand new on the 155 other than the pin boss, the brakes are a bit like CAT to adjust with 6 clicks from loose tight back, on my little snap thing the first few are of an engine (3304) that has been rebuilt at a cost of £7'000, as soon as I heard the nasty racket it was making I told the new owner that the motor might have had £7-00 spent on it and that was wasted, so there was a few moments of silence from the man that sold it and the man that bought it?? the end result is someone copped 7 Large for using a steam cleaner around the engine bay, this Donkey has to strip it out and get things put in good order, I have just noticed the 7 large is the same cost as the Kommie Dead Shaft, 7 is a lucky number for some, the pin press thing is on that RB20 long reach excavator that finaly came together and is back working in the silt lagoons, the little Terex Dumper is a funny thing its painted white but in areas its the early green tint, is this a fake up paint job on an early style dumper?? anyhow it had copped a G/Box fault (ZF SWG 200) including an odd oil leak, so its off with the wheel (23.5 case) and remove the muffler to get into things, the oil leak was from the back of the G/Box it seemed, but the leak fault was from the top of the converter housing from a duff oil pressure switch with the oil traveling down the inside of the wire trunking, the drive fault was the usual electrical issue, its good to work on something clean for a change and was a nice job for a Sunday. tctractors
Good to see your busy tc... Can I pick your brain about a Volvo A25c? I'm doing up the engine at the moment so heads off,pistons and liners out,ect. It was hard to start and had one injector leaking a bit so one piston was in bad shape. I'm just wondering is it possible to fish in new main bearings if I just inch off all the caps a bit and do one at a time? One other thing she has 23k hours up so would you change out the engine oil pumps. I never saw the twin pump setup before but guessing it probably needs tossing?
tc, What hammered the top of the piston on the 3304? Did it lose a valve?
d9gdon, this rebuilt engine has 3 pistons destroyed by the break up of the piston rings, it still ran O.K. but needing around 1 imp' gallon of oil after a 4 hour shift, when running it would put out some unusual smoke signals that I know to be a knackered motor, anyhow its all coming to bits and I will try my luck at putting the engine in a good stance. Jam, on the A25C engine I cannot recall if the main bearings can swap out in frame, as I usualy do the full hit with the engine out, there is 2 styles of engine used in the 25C's with the liner size being the thing to check, the bolt on the front of the crank is a Non Metric job at 13/16" and the polygon drive can be a pig, at 23'000 hrs this dumper has done a few shifts so the oil pump is due a swap out, I would also remove the oil filter head and fit new oil control valves into it as these are the usual culprit on a stuffed crank, the valves are colour coded with the bypass valve the common 1 to be faulty and stuff the crank, the bypass feeds the spray jets as the main task then a return to sump, the injector pump could well do with a rework also at this point, the delivery valves are the usual issue causing hard starting and the odd pop and cloud of white smoke on start up, don't forget to drain the back drive case and check the little screen filter, that is the plug on the front face of the lower implement pump drive. tctractors
OK, I guess a giant dose of starting fluid would be my first guess on the broken rings. That's got my curiosity up now...could it have been a timing issue? It's amazing that it ran well.
d9gdon, this engine is well stuffed up and has never been "Re-Built" in any way other than the mind, even the old scabbie paint is un desturbed, every part I have touched is dogged out the rocker shaft is an amazing bit of Scrap, it's claimed to have only worked 200 "Faultless" hrs since copping the 7 large belly rub??? sadly I have been real flat out on Volvo A30D'E's plus Extec Crushers to pop the engine into bits plus the rain has been a fair pig, but I will get the engine in bits towards the end of next week, I realy mean weekend but I will take a few snaps of the innards so you can see the quality of the 7 large rebuilt engine, the good thing for me is the owner wants me to sort the engine in a massive barn full to the brim of old cars ranging from Jag XK120 through to the early Mini. tctractors
Thanks for that tc. Iv a repair manual ordered from the states so only finding my way around at the minute. I have more than a few questions so il start a thread altogether. Any help il greatly appreciate.
Interesting script on the 3304 episode. A bull nose Scania for you chaps that occasionally sees my yard.It's a 1994 model and sounds rough as that D5 engine Tony is on with
Should say 1994 model.
Yair . . . nicky68a. Nice . . . what's he got about eight horsepower's worth of lights there, is that really legal? Cheers.
Diogenese, looking all around the UK for an honest man?
Scrub and lantraxo,ain't no honest men in my yard!!!,apart from the dog. Pulled the brake bands up on the 155 yesterday m teabreak.Put 30 pulls of the ratchet on the brakes and that just got them working with abit of peddle.I decided to leave it at that to see if they got hot or binding.They were fine,so will pull them up on the adjustment to what they should be.They never clicked like a Cat though.
I didn't want to dog them up,then back them off on this particular tractor as I wasn't sure that all was well in there.I went down the little and often route with the nipping up side of things. Tony,you are right with the u/c report.Everything apart from grousers is around 300 hrs old.They were put on by uninterested lads and have paid the price with a roller falling off and a complete idler yolk coming apart resulting in all new fork and bolts etc.These are allready coming loose and the plate with the stack of pennies on it has come out allready.I have an area of the quarry with all the bits piling up.Some have been put back on and I'm starting to get on top of it abit
Nicky, what is hitting out the link boss on the chain, as the rollers must be well stuffed to get that excited towards the pins, I know the Komatsu brake adjusters don't click like a CAT but they last well, do you think you are doing to much fettling on a mount that should have the Company fitters sorting, or have you found it better to sort things yourself so you can get on with the job. I copped a couple of tough shifts on Mon-Tues on an Extec C12 Crusher only to be told by the owner to book myself in to rebuilt the crusher box over the Xmas break, that is a right dog of a task and I bet it will be Freezing temps, today I had another Company phone me to book me up over the Xmas holiday to re build their C12+ Crusher Box as they don't want the down time in the working week, that sort of marks my place out in the big spinning thing we all cling to as "Mr whip boy" or "Work Donkey" all I can think of is why is it called a Holiday Break and I hope the Bride understands??? tctractors
I think the bride will understand if you book her on a nice cruise or sunny place trip just after the New year?
TC, I did say I needed those d8 rams for my Christmas present,but I don't need you getting into hot water with Mrs Coates.How about Valentines day instead. I dogged the Kommie 155 brakes up tight this morning until they binded and got hot,then backed them off 6 turns.All seems well.If I let the company fitter ( 1 single 39 year old with 200 + machines to keep an eye on and 2 x 18 year old plebs that 'help' him out).I would have been parked up 3 months ago.They fix it only when the crusher is empty........The blade has been hanging off it 3 weeks now,but until it litre ll falls off,they won't bother.To get the ripper tip changed last time,I parked it outside the weighbridge and left it there for 5 days before they realised it wasn't working. Am back on my own D8's tomorrow on cut/fill
The bush rash was done when the new tracks were fitted.Other side was undamaged.Rollers were fitted 100 hrs later.Nobody bothered to report it was scalloping the bushes.Most drivers are happy to break it as nobody wants to drive it.They have left it to me for last 3 months and I do one day a week for them.Father bear does another day a week for them to keep the crusher full. They pay well.
Well the "Firm" that's me by myself has had a real tough 2 weeks with right Pigs of jobs poked into me, the A30 Volvo vertical joint was not easy, it took some tonnage after cutting into the pins as much as I could for the press gear to get the lower pin free, I have done a few of these joints in my days but this 1 will be the nastiest, then I copped a simple job on an Extec C12 that had a "Bolt loose" this 2 word thing about a loose bolt is something that I will struggle to forget until I am fenced in by 6 bits of wood, the cause of the loose bolt was the Swing Jaw being locked solid within the Main Shaft, stupidly the loose bolt is about the only bolt on the Crusher that I don't need to remove, this morning I pressed off the 2 Flywheels in order to tackle the bolts (Big Bolts) that hold the swing jaw in the box, the thing is plastered in grease and crap so I have left things pending someone Steam Cleaning the job down, I will probably use an excavator 20 or 30 tonner to undo the bolts by pressing down on my 1"1/2 drive never fail bar with the Q/Hitch, I will get a few pictures of my antics, I might be thick but I am not Daft as once the swing jaw is free from the Crusher its being sent to Ireland for repair, all that grease and agro I don't need plus the cost of the bearings alone is Big Bucks £$, getting the shaft out that is locked up solid and must weigh possibly a U.K. Ton is not going to be a fun task. tctractors p.s. tomorrow I am going to work on a CAT D4 getting the engine out as therapy for the last 2 weeks of crap jobs.
An update on the D8H non charging hassle. Turned out to be a simple failed battery. The 155 is running and steering fine now. Got the D5 coming back to yard soon and will get new idlers and top rollers fitted .They are in the yard gathering dust for last 3 months and are on the 'to do list '.Problem is,is that it just keeps on going. D8 finished a nice contract on friday with no maintenance required other than welding abit of the chimney.
Saw to fitters under that last night with gas axe.Not sure what they're doing, but they have it jacked up on crushed VW's
Two Cat 992's working next to me on this job. They are on 12 hour shifts still.Must be 20 years old. One of them actually drove off down the road to the butty van on Thursday
One of them fires a few rocks at me occasionally so I can push them into the bottom of the dock
This is one of 5 D6 tractors working here.They are helped out by a Kommie D65 and a Cat D8. It's a series 2 D6H in fine order. However,Finnings were at them all on Friday doing some odd jobs on them. This one was leaking exhaust gasses and the manifold studs were rotten . They removed the head as studs neaded drilling out.They told me that the drill can't align up on the back pot.It belongs to Ovenden Plant. Tony,I would have been choking on me beer if I had to pull all that to bits over a leaky gasket
Lost boots in a bog.Tied them to rad to dry them up
Nicky, I have had Boot Drama's of recent firstly I had a stone in the 1 boot driving me mad for about 2 weeks, then I copped a job in a swamp that needed nothing less than a new set of tracks hitched around my ankles as a water proof investment, on the CAT stud thing that made me smile some, J.B. Weld would have gunked that task up. hope the 2 lads are good tctractors
Boys are well thanks TC.Tommy asks after you quite abit actually.Only today,he was cleaning his bike and oiling the chain with fairy liquid. He wanted to fix it with 'Tony's spanners' That's Tommy waiting in the cab whilst it was being refuelled
Are those D8K's power shift or direct drive? Direct Drive seems to be popular in Great Brittan. Here in the USA the only D8H and D8K direct drive tractors I have seen are on the West Coast in California's Central Valley Farm Country and a few in the Mid West in farm applications
I think the last direct Drive D8H (donkey engine start to boot) I saw working for a living in the UK must have been over 30 years ago now. Tony might correct me on this but I don't think there was ever a D8K Direct Drive made in UK - remember the D8K Powershift was built in the UK as a 66V where the US version was 77V. I came across a lot of Direct Drive D8's in Africa though.
The Direct Drive D8H tractors first built in the Glasgow U.K. Factory had the 22A serial No with about 1'500 tractors being built, this tractor is well loved for its low fuel to work ratio and can be still found on sites working hard, I regularly still repair them as they keep on going, the D8H 68A is powershift with well over 5'000 units built, the D8K that was built in the Glasgow Factory 66V series all seemed to be powershift as I have never seen a Direct Drive tractor or any tale of 1, the powershift was a bit more refined in the K's with an extra plate in the forward clutch and a constant prime line on the tran's pump, the steering is just lever pull for clutch and brake activation with pendant brake peddles for stopping not steering as in the D8H, the 22A's seem to be well sought after in the U.K. with £20'000 plus often on the price tag, I did hear of a very tidy K' sell for £48'000 plus VAT in the spring of this year. tctractors
Guys......D8K 60V Glasgow built dd. 66V P's USA built 70V dd USA built 77V ps
I don't think so Nicky. 60V prefix is an 8S bulldozer (the dozer blade not the tractor). 70V prefix is a 3406 machine engine used in all sorts of equipment. 76V is the US-built D8K direct Drive 66V/77V are correct for the UK/US-built powershift D8K
Think you're correct Nige,will get me books out and glasses on!! Sure there was a Glasgow built 8K dd though. Never seen one
Checked my book Nige,don't know what I was thinking about on the Glasgow built dd machine!!!!
By chance I had an old CAT man phone me today, I took the chance to ask him about the Direct Drive D8K's his answer was solid on the fact that the 76V series tractor U.S. built was the only tractors ever produced starting in he thinks around 1976, the D8K Power shift 66V and 77V production start date was early 1974 with the possible chance of some D8H tractors being sold in 1975, he did say that he had seen 2 Direct Drive tractors in the U.K. that went to Dutch or German Contractors to pull a Plough (plow) why they landed in the U.K. might be due to H. Leverton's contacts within the Farm Cultivation World. tctractors
Did some post up some pictures of a DD Hi track D6 once , or did i imagine it
The Direct Drive High Drive D6 tractors are about although I have not seen 1 myself, I am sorta' sure Neil D was scratching about with 1 a few years ago in Ireland, plus as you recall there has been a few snaps posted with the Oddball mounts as a feature, I sometimes work on a Komatsu tractor that is to all intents like a D65E -7 or 8, I think it is a D66E? that has Direct Drive, it is a very light tractor to handle even after a good long shift. tctractors
D6H DD was made in France - 1FJ, Japan - 8FC/3ED, US - 8KB. Nothing ever built in the UK.
I KNEW IT!!! there are service truck over on that side of the creek that have a crane on them TC.... LOL
FSERVICE, that little Truck with a dinky crane on is a main dealer chariot, the crane would be used on little stuff that most people with a brain would manage in a simple way, that Truck is still junk against the mighty mounts we see being used over Seas, it's an odd lot really as we can transport 2 D9's on the same trailer load to a site now (within axle load spec') without any drama, but use a fancy Service Truck seems off the scale ?? Fitters run around in Ford Transits or Merc Sprinters over loaded all the time with the Police pulling them in and handing out tickets constantly, I refuse to get into the Van trap and stick to my L/Rover with a dinky little box of spanners in, the Police never stop me or roadside check me with VOSA Ministry inspectors. tctractors
TC this is what I found in regards to the PM I sent you on the D8H blade that wouldn't lift. I can only assume the bolts came loose and finally got enough pressure behind the spools to break the bolt heads off? Any other thoughts before I put it back together? Thanks, TIO
Wouldn't it be nice if they had learned how to weld out broken studs. Would have saved a lot of time.
TIO, it looks like you copped an easy job on your D8, that tank is a nasty thing to remove due to a couple of bolts that are always gunked up and painful to get at, I have not seen this bolt snapping thing before so its a new trick on me, the bolts heads look like they have been in trouble for some time, I would just replace the 3 and let it fly. The "Firm" has been flat out for months although I only worked on Sunday till 1pm as I had to do the Garden Strimming, its getting Cold fast here now with morning frost and loads of fog, so its soon to be the season that sorts the Wheat from the Chaff, the job of today is to rebuild an Extec Crusher, the swing jaw locked a bearing so I sent the Jaw off to N/Ireland to be re-worked, the owner wanted the toggle seats changed, boy was the back seat a pig to set free but in the end it gave up but the time involved was untrue, tomorrow its re-fit the swing jaw 12 bolts to 3'000 Nm and 2 nuts to 7'000 Nm is the spec' thats 3 blows and 7 blows from my 28lbs Hammer, I will put up some snaps soon, all I can say is its to much work for 1 man really on crusher strip out, every bolt has been a pig and I have undone every bolt on the nasty thing. tctractors
some more pics of me at work
some more random pics
a few more random pics
some more rubbish
and a bit more rubbish
some final rubbish
Think you can save that Cat piston? Looks like the guy may need to sell off a couple of those cars to pay your bill! Like the bike for two with the little motor, don't think I'd take it on a run up the M1!
All right Tony, what's the scoop on the piston..? Can't honestly say I've ever seen one quite like that before ........
Just wild guessing, too much starting fluid causing failure of ring land leading to crown failure. What ever think it might have made some strange sounds near the end. Looks like a large chunk was bouncing around in there.
I think Tony works too hard.... makes me tired just viewing the pictures! :sleeping
That piston look like some I've pulled out of Pukins diesels shot with ether. The rings break up into rice grain sized pieces and start chewing there way out. Had one that all three compression rings had broke and the top two had a trail like in an ant farm leading up top and all of those rings were gone. Had just a little bit of blowby but still running.
Firstly, on the piston issue its a you tell me thing, this engine had a major rebuild I am told within 200 hrs costing £7'000 not including engine removal/re-fit, 1 of the pistons had a full set of rings in good condition but still had nasty chunks of it missing?? as soon as I had an Ear full of the engine running I told the owner it was a "Nail" and sounded now't like a CAT, the owner continued to use the little Dozer for a few weeks under hard work until it developed a thirst for E/Oil, so I was given the call to pop it to bits and "Have A Look", in my picks are a shot of front crank pulley removal, the Factory chisel mark on the crank and flywheel for correct index, the I marks on the Con Rods for correct location of them in the block (Face Forward) I thought these points would help others tackling these engines, the Barn I am doing this engine in is stuffed full of old Cars and Tractors plus lots of odd push bikes, the 2 seater job with an engine just 1 of them. The Crusher (Extec C12) is nearly all back together now, I have had some help from a driver who has been lifting the chunks into position for me and has been handy on the big nuts, they were undone with my hydraulic Torque Multiplier a Volvo 210CLC, the Volvo Dumper I think was an A30? I had the front hooked up to a Volvo 380 re-gen excavator with 2 straps off the bucket and a tow line from the dumper axle to the carbody of the 380, these are just some of my antics over the past few weeks, the D8 is a 14A wet case tractor the D4D is copping a repair to the cross shaft and new linings on the bands, the Truck is an Autocar there is 2 of them near me both for sale i am told, they are not the common thing in the U.K. tctractors p.s. the knackered engine started up well with just the usual pre heat, it also ran O.K. just sounded crap.
Drat. Dreaded double post ......
So in that case the engine's never had ether anywhere near it..? Injector issues maybe..? Did you happen to look to see what brand of pistons they were Tony..?
I like the hydraulic torque multiplier, a 3 ft wrench powered by an excavator. Same type i use occasionally on the 'big uns'.
My guess is either compression ring was broken during installation, severe bore-wash or dodgy aftermarket piston.
So it was just one bad piston. From your script I got the impression that there was only 1 good one out of the four, me being daft I suppose. What did the other three look like..?
NIGE 3 pistons looked as scrap as scrap can, 1 piston had a full set of rings but was still scrap with big chunks missing below the piston top like the rings eat at when broken, I don't know about any laughing gas being poked into the engine, the heater plugs worked and the engine started easily, other than the sound of "Doom" and the sudden thirst for HD30 the little tractor was a topper, my thoughts is to stuff a new set of pistons and liners home with 4 new fuel tips and check the injector pump settings, the owner had an air lock when he first looked at the pistons, he asked me what was the cause of the damage to the £7'000 engine, I just said the wrong man copped the coins?? tctractors p.s. that push bike with the motor is begging me to get aboard it what a cracker.
Just pondering out loud ........ I wonder if there are different rod/piston combinations for that engine with different compression ratios and whoever did the previous rebuild mistakenly put pistons in it with a higher compression than they should have been..? The other thought would be as posted by CM of dodgy aftermarket pistons. The only other thing I can think of worth a look would be the turbo, mostly to see if is the right one for the job.
With the widespread availability of Chinese knockoff parts for engines, it's not uncommon to get "will fit" parts that bolt in or on but are not the correct bit for the application. I have had endless issues with turbochargers from Europe, Japan, China, and even aftermarket replacements made in USA, you have to really watch what you're getting these days, even sometimes from the OEM dealers. Engines like this that had a variety of pistons, etc. to suit different horsepower ratings, and Mitsubishi and Cummins especially can be a real headache.
The piston type looked good with a number still visible on 1 of them, to all intents the liners and the pistons looked like good quality, the crank bearings had the Clevite stamp on them at .20 thou with the crank looking very good, I did think of just fitting a new set of rings to the motor and collect my £7'000, Nige anything old D4 ish or 941-951 no turbo fitted on the 330 or 3304, I will look into the piston N'o next week when I get back to working on the engine, my parts people will soon clear up this item as I don't have a parts book for this D4D 7R series (France) its an LGP tractor with power shift with a build total of I think less than 1'000 units so its a scarce little chariot, I do have a 3304 parts book some place with all the change over numbers and build info, I will take it with me when I clean up all the parts and block, so possibly a bit more to come on the odd shaped piston thing, credit to my old knackered camera it's plastered in grease and dust but still takes a snap. tctractors
What kinda job is the a30 centre joint like to do tc? Does it take much pressure to shift the pins?
TC was that the one with the noise at welland last year
Hi Jam, the pins on this dumper had no grease fittings on the bearing housings so things were very dry and rusty, but you have to attack the pins with the cutting torch first, I cut 3 notches into the pins from the top blowing all the crap out of the hollow centre of the pins, then I poke in the pulling bar through the centre hole and I think I used a 65 ton cylinder to suck the pins out, the limit factor being the hole size in the pins, I think it was around the 40 ton spot before the bottom pin moved, the top pin was not to bad needing around 15-20 ton, its not a hard job to tackle with everything at a handy level, you might need a torque multiplier on the live end steering pins as they are tight, its better to drag the tractor head forward and not drive it forward on the engine as the steering rods go crazy on engine start up, this just becomes a pain when you winch thing back together with 2 pull lifts, if its just the vertical joint to change you don't strip out any pipe work. tctractors p.s. this Dumper has been working in a Quarry near Coventry for a good few years Graham, unless you are talking about the D4D, that has been on a Farm past Bromyard and would never go to a Show as the owner is to busy.
Put new idlers and top rollers on this.Threw some segments at it for fun. Idlers were Cat at 6290 hours.Happy with that.Bolt shanks were siezed in caps.Had warm them up. Tony knows me well enough to realise that it's by pure luck rather than skill that I didn't burn holes in the track frame. P.s,what's all that hissing around them funny gauges on the gas bottles about????
Some more
I noticed the idlers started to leak when I clobbered the end caps with the sledge hammer.Not sure if it's because they were so old or that I'm just rough. Put all new Cat bolts and covered them (and myself) in copper slip up to bolt head.Checked all fluids,greased it and changed both cab and engine air filters.She's good to go. D8's all done for the season this week.One needs service on engine only and some welding to chimney stack.Old Joe who occasionally keeps the seat warm needs a few more grab irons near the fuel tanks as his spragging ain't what it used to be.After reading the thread on that poor chaps old Cat 980,I am sweating abit at the thought of commiting such a sin. TC,father bear has been through the mill abit reacently with shingles and an absess and infected scar behind his eyeball.He's supposed to lay up for a month. Can't see him doing that somehow so went down to Special K to brush all the dust out of the cab,clean the windows and throw away the rope he uses to tie the doors open.The other pilots just close them! Anyway,he enjoys his day a week on the hook listening to radio 4 and it will be good to have him back at the controles as long he can keep out the dust.His flat cap also doubles up as his hard had much to the dismay of the quarry manager who daren't go near the old bugger incase he heads home.They are acutely aware that he can soon push and rip around 1500 ton in a short shift for them,which is considerably more than there other drivers. We look forward to seeing you in the flesh around Christmas mate.
Nicky, Sorry to hear about "Ower Dad" having some pain and performance with the cameras, I hope he plays it for all his worth with your Mum, so please express my Best Wishes to him on a speedy recovery to "Condition Normal" you have to love him as he is a Tough U'n, anyhow things this end have been Hard Slog for me with no end of big nuts and bolts, even today on the way home from 1 job I get called in to strip a bucket cylinder on a Komatsu 180 swinger, those rod nuts are pigs to undo so I used an old Hymac580 to give the spanner a tap, you cannot beat Hydraulic Torque Multipliers with a 6 cylinder engine to undo stuff, the owner and his wing man stood with wonderment on their dials as I thumped the old Girls bucket down to great effect, I hope you like my pictures of stuff, tomorrow I am back on the 14A dozer fettle anything to get out of the garden strimming. tctractors
tctractors,today I was in Victoria BC. Looking around and heard of. Sale on New Range Rover. Thing had a 9 speed Trans. Did not go for a look. I assume this would be an automatic. Would this be an American version of your beauty. More of a "boytoy" unit?
Bp, good to see you are keeping an Eye on me, the gearbox in Range Rovers are usually auto jobs, but there is lots of flash outfits making custom R/Rovers that sell in the £250'000 spot that would probably have 99 gears if you ask and can pay the ticket, my Land Rover has 6 low range gears then 6 high range with an inter axle diff lock, just the last few weeks I have been in some real bad sites and lucky for me the chariot has flown through the muck, its a good thing as I still have not hooked up the power leads to my winch, I will post some pic's soon as? tctractors
tct,good to hear from you. Next chance I get I will look in at Dealer and scout out some dollar value of these unit. Must be getting close to your nite all time. 1:00pm here so 9:00 PM there. All the best
tctractors,15 days and still quiet. Very busy I hope. BP.
You have to wonder how he gets as much done as he does and still has time to take pics and tell us about it.Hope everything is okay.Ron G
I sure do miss tc's posts, hope he is just stuck in the over working mode.
I see a post by tc from early this morning in the TGIF about the attack in Paris. So must be working to much to post pictures.
dirty4fun,good of you to spot tct posting. I thought more about things during the day and was hoping he and any other members overseas do not have family or friends caught in the horrible tragedy in Paris. Thanks for update.BP.
Wow, I am surprised that you all seem interested in my rubbish, and it has been a few days now that I have posted anything of even slight interest, the "Firm" (me by myself) has as you might expect been sort of busy, today I had to check out an old but in strong Nick a Komatsu 320 or was it a 380? wheeled loader that a Company use as a handy banger that only gets used as and when on re-loading in a small compound, this is not a front line unit but my instruction is to put it into good working order, this involves the centre joint etc so its going to be in 2 bits at least, the other day I fitted a Komatsu CCU onto the back of a D8H up near Corby, some years ago I fitted another Komatsu CCU onto another D8H,only to get a phone call about a month later off a right tough old boy (Freddy Compton)to fit a CAT CCU onto a 155 Komatsu, as you might expect Fred bought the CAT winch from the man with the D8H that was now sporting the Komatsu winch, so although I managed to get 2 licks of the Lolly then, I hope history does not repeat itself on this item as its hard graft if adapter plates are needed to be made, I have been getting a few jobs on newish bangers that are just out of the 12 month dealer "Glove" I think the 1 excavator had its first oil change via me with 1400 hrs on the Ticker, every filter was begging to be changed, this is why I try to avoid the shiny paint outfits, as it often means "All Flash but No Cash" I will post up some snaps asap. tctractors p.s. England V France tonight at Football, for once I hope France Win
tct,never rubbish. Great to see stuff going on 1/2 a world away. Enjoy the game if you are able. Must be over now,4:45pm here. BP
some pics of me at work
some more pics of me at work
and a few more
some more pics of work I have done
and some final ones
Brilliant use of the excavator. Always a joy seeing your pictures. THanks
Good pics tc. What do you make of those tree shears? Any time I see them i cringe a bit. I always think that without the reach of a harvester one rotten branch or some bad judgement and your going to end up with a big repair to a very expensive base machine.
I have been working on a lot of new stuff lately that I don't waste my camera on, other than the CAT swinger with a Dymax head on (For BPrince), this head was on a smaller excavator but still manages to cope on this banger, the task here was to pressure check things as it's working on 4 lines instead of 2 via a mag coil switch, anyhow I managed to find why it was knackering up, the D8H is being fettled up with a Komatsu CCU (nice winch) and mods to the control linkage, then there is a bit of liner shim stuff going on, the Delta thing is copping a hardly used plough (plow) taken off the rubber drive Delta, its a lot of pipes and stuff to swap over, then the Komatsu dozer with "Ultra High Ground Pressure" track groups this is a new system that I have not seen working before, its like CAT's System 1 but with less wear parts, I don't think its going to be much use on soft going though?? anyhow yes they were actually working this tractor as it stands but now have a set of Winter Grade Plates to fit on it, the 2 d6's had both calved down 1 with a pig to fix oil leak, the other with water in its belly and its not the water pump, the old D8 is a 14A with an oil back case I have been sorting the Donkey engine on it and going through it some with the young chaps that own it. I have copped some goodish jobs of late on some Odd Ball stuff that had me thinking some so I hope to post a few things of interest soon. tctractors. p.s forgot about using that dinky thing to Whack open those rod nuts (CAT rods) as it saves struggling???
Good thing you don't have the safety germs around like where I worked, you would have to call the medics when they had their heart attack!
tctractors,well as the saying goes,the proof is in the pudding. Now,there is no way you can say that the things you post are rubbish. The mechanical torque wrench is awesome. I must show my buds. One a mechanic and one a welder. Now I have the proof. How many pounds of torque? Did you put it back together the same way?see,you must keep posting. It keeps me anyway right on the edge of my seat! Thanks
tc, good to see some of your work, thou it does look a bit like you have some soggy conditions to be working in. Bet if you put some shoes on the Komatsu it will move around in the mud better. Nice hydraulic spanner, is that a 6t. model. Enjoyable to see how people do their jobs, and what they come up with do get it done. Thanks for sharing always enjoyable! Wish I would of taken pictures of the days on the farm where you are stuck with all three wagons trying to feed cattle. Or the time the frost went out in the spring when I was operating a Linkbelt dragline. My truck was so deep I had to get out the passenger door, had to track behind the truck to pull it out, as it just kept going down pulling it forward. I still hate muddy conditions to this day. Yes tomorrow I am going to be working in the mud as the snow we got over the weekend is melting and still have 225' of metal roof to install.
Sadly I missed being involved in a recovery job last week on a long reach CAT 345 that was stuck big style in our slop that we have loads of, it was winch recovered in just a few min's by a Walter Fockesberger Winch unit, this is a big Marooka thing Cummins 855 powered with a 70'000 kg single line pull winch, I am told the hardest part was fixing on the shackle with the excavator coming out of its "Bear Trap" like it was a race car. On the Dymax timber head I have little knowledge of it working standing timber, all I get is test cuts on short butts, the excavator is heavy rigged with full Demo spec' its possibly a bit light on cab framing compared to the Blk prince standard but Finning CAT it seems never offered a Forest spec' 320? tctractors p.s. my "Hydraulic Torque Multiplier" is 1" 1/2 drive and never lacks power to undo rod nuts etc, as I try to not use my power, I did think about buying a costly hydo' T/Multiplier for a few seconds, but this thing works faster and the coins are still in my pocket,I have used this bit of junk for about 10 years with 100 % of nut-bolts doing what I wanted.
It appears as though great minds think alike.... This is what we used for tearing cylinders apart on a Hitachi EX3600. The wrench itself weighed somewhere around 200 pounds which is why it has a lifting eye on the top. I seem to recall the torque on these nuts was of the order of 5000 ft.lb - whatever it was a Cat Hydraulic Cylinder bench wouldn't look at it. All we did was mark the position of the nut relative to the cylinder rod and simply match the alignment marks when tightening, provided we were using the same rod, piston, and nut that is ......
Nige,I see you have a tool specific to the job whereas Tony uses socket. Do you have a set of these special wrenches or use sockets for other sizes? tctractors,Waratah heads are the Head of the day over here. Have not come across the Dymax head. Must be here somewhere. I see new machines and dozers with cabs on them. My God man,have you moved into the next generation? Lol
IIRC we had 4 different wrenches, each one plasma cut to the correct hexagon size for each cylinder on the machine. The simple fact of the matter was that the Cat dealer had the biggest cylinder bench available and it wouldn't touch these nuts because they were so big and so tight. There were no other options on the island so it was think outside the box or send the cylinders to the US by sea freight. The nut in the photo is about 6" across flats, all the others were of a similar size.
If it is just a lock nut with no set screw it is more around 30,000-50,000 ft lbs
I have been using steel plate with a flame cut hex' for about 20 years, I think it started with Komatsu rods as they all seemed to sport large metric nuts, once I tried to undo a Hitachi rod nut using a track shovel to press down on the lash up spanner with only the front of the shovel lifting, a few ton of muck in the bucket soon had things going my way, some of the Komatsu rod nuts had some high torque targets on them, before I started bodging along with plate and a flame cut I used to take the rods to Marubeni Komatsu to be undone, I took a PC400 stick rod in to be undone in their nut machine only to have the rod twist round like a damp rag, I was nearly sick on the spot with fear and dread as it belonged to a customer and this was my first job for them, a new rod was £5'000 2 weeks ex Japan to put the critter right, lucky for me I wanted to cut the nut and the Co' plant manager sent me into Komatsu to get it done "Proper", £5' large was about 2 years wages to me at the time so lots of finger pointing followed this knacker up, me being saved from 50 Lashes by a phone log of the manager ordering the rod stripping, the nut machine had an "at your own risk" thing posted on it, I never had another drip of work off the Company but at least they paid by Bill for what I managed to do. tctractors
Mike, you're right. I could picture the page of the manual in my mind and I could have sworn the torque was in lb.ft. I looked again and in fact the required torques are quoted in kg.m. So the torque on the nut varied depending on the cylinder usage from 5,400-7000 kg.m. which equates to 39,000-51,000 lb.ft.
Jesus H. Buttercups.....
You ought to see the thru bolts and nuts used on large stamping presses....the rods are thru drilled, you stick a heater in them, get them longer, then spin the nut down.
Sounds similar to the procedure I was told by an older guy who worked on cranes. Some bolts were heated in hot oil to something like 350º then installed and nuts tightened with knock wrench while still hot.
Yup, and some have a hydraulic pre-tension ram stretches it, then spin the nut down as well. Tells me they are getting near the limits of a simple threaded fastener, probably should come up with a different joint config.
I've seen the fasteners on cylinder head bolts and the like for ships engines, where you spin the nut down and then there's a circle of smaller bolts through the nut to torque providing the actual preload. Not sure if there's an upper limit on those or not.
Dis ? http://www.nord-lock.com/superbolt/multi-jackbolt-tensioners/
I have used the "post tension" system with hydraulic ram on small precast bridges. The bolts were 20+ feet long . TIO
Dat's it! LOL
Hi TC,Nice D6D you have there with water in the sump.Hope it's an easy fix. The 155 valve thing is going very slowly to say the least.A week after father bear thought it had dropped a valve and you pointed out the week valve problems with these old 155's,they took a camera to it???? Anyway ,they saw some smashed pistons and other fun things to make the balls tighten up abit.It was decided that it has to come home for engine removel. I suggested you would have it ship shape pretty quick on site,but that fell on deaf ears although your suggestion that it wasn't siezed was soon proved correct. Anyway,the blade was dragged off it today and the ripper tied up with baler twine to move it home. As I write this it's up on the lowloader on it's way to Ellesmere Port. It has yet to be decided wether the engine is to be pulled. I personally feel that you could have pulled the top and bottom off it in the quarry,covered it over with a tent and had it mobile in a week or so. A day to tear into it,a day to evaluate the damage,a day to find the part numbers in the book,a week for them to scratch their backsides,a month or two to locate the parts!!!! And a couple of days for you to glue it all together again........
Hey, tc. Care to evaluate this vid? Saw it and thought you might like it. https://youtu.be/hLAVy7nTROo
A bit disappointing that after having done all that work on the final drive they didn't replace the carrier rollers and front idler, and maybe the track rollers as well, it was hard to see.......
Yes, and removal usually takes 2x as much as what it is put on with. Really makes one appreciate the Euro design like on Volvo and Sennebogen with the left handed jam nut. Happy Thanksgiving
Yair . . . I had to grin at Nige's comment (I think I know the reason) . . . well filmed I reckon. I will have another look when I can get onto a decent connection but I was a bit surprised to see them jacking/supporting steel to steel. Cheers.
Nicky, Sounds like the outfit I worked for the last several years! Only difference they would want three quotes before they let someone touch it and of course go with the lowest bidder then cry when he went way over the estimate on time and price. Anyone recall the D9 I wrote about early this year that pushed a rod out the side of the block? Well about a couple weeks back I heard from the guy who took my place that they are just getting around to pull the engine to see if they can find someone to patch the block. Of course it is sitting out side where it died! Had all spring and summer to work on it and they wait till late fall to get serious about it!
Khansen, You should give this company about a year of floundering without you, put your tools in a service truck and start selling your time to them at about 4x's what your payroll rate was. This is kind of what I did with my business. I dumped all the stress of being responsible for keeping up with everything to do with there equipment to only selling my hours to them for the more technical and large projects. Work a 4th as much for the same "coin" (TC)... Happy thanksgiving....TIO
When track frame is off, how do you get off the first hub before pulling the sprocket?
How did you remove outer hub? Have a D6D.
Shimmy, thank you Sir for listing the Video I found it very interesting, the 9 was looking a bit low on the undercart but you have to get every last drop out before re-tracking, I did wonder some why they moved it from a dusty spot to another dusty spot as I would have stripped it out in the first dusty spot, but there might have been other reasons for the moving thing, the Scraper using the blade as a handbrake was another thing that I found an odd complication? as I like the blade out of my sight and the rams hooked up, this allows the track frame/s to go a tad further forward allowing a better work area, also removes the chance of a Scraper mating with a D9, the man did say that he had bought a complete built up F/Drive they intended to swing on in 1 lump, I have done this a few times but I am not a fan, on the rim pull thing the hammer man seemed a bit timid with his swing and often hitting the front face of the rim has the good effect, the pepper pot heater looks a bit small that he pulled out like it was a flame thrower, I have a Pepper Pot that I use on the Customers Oxygen bottle as it empty's them so fast I cannot afford to run it, as I say to all the Lady's its a Monster that really sends heat into metal, on the dead shaft thing they managed to chew in to the main case some by using the jacking bolts, you are supposed to insert thrust strips asap under the bolts if you use this method to suck out the shaft, I use a push plate and stud bar with a press sleeve and press the D/Shaft out using an adapter on the end of the shaft linked to a 100 ton cylinder, there is a modified shaft in D9H tractors that stops all that crud build up, but that broken dead shaft bolt is something I have seen before involving Scrapers and double pushing, on D8H/K's I always pull the D/Shaft if the customer will allow me to dig out all the glitter that builds up in this void and clear the oil ways, I have a cylinder I cannot lift that takes D9's to bits easy that I don't need as its a killer even to drag about. tctractors p.s. the important thing is they managed to get it sorted, but I would have blown down both case's as that's just me.
How did you remove outer hub? once outer nut is off shaft, can you pull sprocket & outer hub together?
Kshansen,that is EXACTLY the same attitude in the 155 saga. TC,I have just had Finnings Cannock call me about a 77V they are cert rebuilding.They can't seem to find door handles and keys??? The customer is very fussy apparently and from the Midlands. .I don't know who it is though
One of the problems with doing that is they want sub-contractors to have major amount of insurance and I know it takes 3 months or more to get paid for any work. Not to mention needing to bid on every job they come up with and wait for months to get the approval. So I could look at a job this week and even if I did get the job it would be the middle of next year before I saw any income. Just not worth the headaches.
TerryD6D, Sorry for my slow response but here goes (From Memory) to remove the outer hub on a D9G/H is a lot easier that on a D8H/K, all you need to do is before removing frame undo the end cap bolts, just crack them loose but leave them in and the lid in place, then remove T/Frame and place an oil bucket under the hub and remove the end cap, the oil can be drained more by rotating the hub so the top oil feed hole is placed at the bottom, this means the key on the outer dia' of the hub is about the 3 O'Clock position, then remove the bolts and locks from the dead shaft nut, place some timber Baulk or packing under the sprocket even a bit of steel plate might be handy, this is to support the rim as it will drop some with the hub removed plus it makes pulling the rim easier, the only thing keeping the hub on is the bearing located behind the Big fancy Nut, so undo the nut " at this point I can use 2 or 3 methods to press the hub and the outer bearing with all the junk I have" but you can make a plate drilled to catch the end face bolt holes (at least 4) and space off from the dead shaft pulling the hub via the bolts, you can use a cylinder and hard bar, the thing to watch is the weight of the pig so you need to have a sling on the hub ready this also will save you getting covered in oil, the hub will not be to bad to pull off but you have to be careful not to damage the thread on the D/shaft as you lift it clear, when you re-fit the hub it might be an idea to mark the end oil way hole onto the outer area of the hub as it needs to be at the top, the rim pull is the usual D8 D9 thing you don't push or pull off the dead shaft only using the tread on the sprocket hub, I hope this helps some, its even possible to bar the outer hub off on a high hour tractor that's had some Boot stuffed in it, when you get it all in bits (F/Drive) you will soon work out how it all thrust's up, the oil system will be full of crap including the little oil feed tank and the non return check valve is usually stuck or not seating, on the tractors I have done I was never allowed to re -set the D/Shaft nut pre-load, but I used to do this task for an owner driver from the Oxford area that was a right "Old Stage'r tctractors p.s. on both D8 and D9's you have to remove the outer hub before you can tackle pulling the rim, another nut gets in the way, in my post's in shop talk I pull on the D8 rim to pop off the outer hub. p.p.s. Terry I thought you were stripping a D9G?H if its a D6D its easy, screw up your pre-load adjuster right tight and fit your 1"3/4 adapter on the dead shaft leaving a gap from the 2 dowls and give it a tug through the rim.
That must be the one pictured on facebook a little while ago
d4c24a, did you like the photo's of the Komatsu with the "No Plate HGP" track groups?? it would seem no 1 has commented on the odd setup, when I spotted it being parked up after just towing out an 8 wheeler tipper I will admit I just stood giggling like a little kid, I bet the Mr Fussy from the Midlands would be phoning the Police about Cruelty to Dozers, today I had a real close scare, this involved the removal of the steering/dash panel off a CAT D5, my hand touched something with "Fur" as I undid the bolts under the top panel, lucky for me it was only a " Massive RAT" now this Critter was not for moving making me go through my own " Jungle Trial" swishing and waving at the nasty looking thing, by pulling and rattling the steering levers the "Thing" copped on and cleared off into the belly guard, I don't know why I bothered but I used my work light to look into the lower area of the tractor to find about 10 more of his mates looking at me, I sharp closed the doors on my Defender and made lots of racket, I do have a few Photo's if they have come out O.K. tctractors
I can't believe that super HGP was in use mind them furry things don't get up under the landy and start chewing
tctractors,now to carry a pistol would be one good idea but with tracks,pads belly pan etc. I am worried that a bouncing pellet would hit you on top,bottom front,rear or worse the man parts. Hmmmm,maybe not good idea!
Is this what you saw ?
digger doug, those are some nasty looking critters, they make my pets look lovely. tctractors p.s. I don't like Rats, even if they wear glasses.
But, but, but....if you dropped a part or smallish tool down there, one would return it for you..... Here's the Scottish contingent.....
TC,I was telling that nice chap that works for the track crowd at Willenhall about your unusual sighting Komatsu wise.He knows you and spoke well of you. As for all those rats,perhaps they were after Mrs Coates fruit cake? They would freak me out to be honest.
Hi Nicky, I have been back to the Rat Tractor with no sight of any critters, but today I have been on oil leak repairs on a Komatsu 180 excavator so I had to doff my wet gear to sort leaking / loose steel pipe work from under the banger, Tractor Spares at Willenhall is a very old Company that really had Track and Tractor parts sown up, they had their own Tocco (The Ohio Crankshaft Co) Hardening set up before anyone else in the game on this Rock, making track groups that lasted like no other at only a small extra cost, they also built the Suntrac cab's (ugly things with little windows) that were highly thought of, they also built a little motor car called the Little Briton this had a 5 pointed star as its emblem, M/Benz used this same Emblem on their cars finding themselves in the Courts getting a kicking from the Old Briton Motor Co, this made M/Benz change their Emblem to the 3 pointed thing you see on their bangers, I checked my camera and the Rat thing is in focus, slightly worse than the Rats was having to move the Farmers Defender that was blocking my fun, it was a Minger inside full of Cow ****e and beat to hell, when I parked it I pulled up the Hand Brake and thought that was a waste of time as there was now't connected to the handle, if we had guns here I would have shot the poor old Truck. tctractors p.s. The Brides cake is often like eating a Jungle Challenge, most often it taste like Raw Cake but sometimes its like sucking a Brick, I don't think the Rats would bother.
some pics of me at work
a few more of me at work
and some more pics of me
some further pics of me at work
and here is the last one
tctractors,from our world to yours,a very Merry Christmas and Happy N ew Year. You should of had a pint by now?
What's the blue thing in tracks TC? Our track press in action. Often takes all of its power to move the pins.. Merry Christmas to you and yours TC
Merry Christmas TC Come on we need some verbs for all those pics. What's with the linkage pics? Blue machines for peat work??
Well firstly A Happy Christmas to all, now a few of my odd verbs on stuff, the first few involve the RAT tractor you can see the fluff covered rodent tucked in the linkage, the task was to replace the drive couplings from the engine to the Tran's, as usual the engine mounts are faked up both bolts on the right side rear mount had been welded in an out of sight area around the back, then the engine mount was welded to the chassis, so its time to get out the speaking clock, the clock does not talk but it tells you stuff, this tractor was full of RATS that seemed tough critters as they hardly took any notice of me banging and clanging, the red thing is parked near the RAT tractor its a BTD6 sporting a BTD8 fuel tank?? I think, the 3304 engine has just copped the new pistons and liners, all the liners are standing on 7 thou shims as the block has been cut, the blue things are a Spider Plough made by Walter Fockersperger from Bulgaria, this plough (plow) has worked in India, Australia, America and Canada, so you could say its pulled a groove around the World, anyhow Walter F' popped over from Bulgaria to give myself and the owner a bit of a pep talk on its innards as I have to bring it up to a spec' to tackle some shifts its booked in for, its winch unit is Cummins powered 14 Ltr with a single line pull of 70'000 kgs but its all sat on a Marooka 3300 or was it a 3400 ? that sort of worries me some as I had 1 of these chariots years ago with a knackered track drive that proved some pig to over come and cost a load of Wedge, the little D4D was up past Macclesfield my job was to fit new liners and pistons only, these liners are sitting on 9 thou shims the cylinder bore size is 4" 1/2 as its the early 330B engine in an 88a Glasgow built tractor, the 2 bucket thing is a Farm Yard mod' to trim out Willow trees, the blue tractors are Ford based County's this man has a stack of them sadly the rain failed to show in the photo but its falling right to left not down, it was some odd spot past Hay on Wye, the little D4H is not a common thing in the U.K. is getting its Toe Nails trimmed, well getting a link chop port and starboard with the crock clip re-fitted for good looks, Slidey this is only a small press cylinder (74 ton) as its only a small task, I have 2 105 ton cylinders and a Berco cylinder that I cannot lift and don't really want, is that pin you are pushing a 50mm D8/350 size?
TC I got the speaking clock it took abit but I got it. LOL
Merry Christmas TC Morooka 3300VD, yes. If you get into the track drives and Cautrac or Plant Parts Ltd. can't help you out, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about alternatives. Cheers
Its a Berco track, not sure of the exact dimensions of the pin. I'm told it's a 150t press. I have to bore a hole with the hot spanner in the ends of the pin sometimes to get them to come out. Even at that the pump will be hovering around 10,000psi doing it. We trialed tracks off a 390 Cat. They called them PPR2. They were a total disaster and constantly had walking pins. They were a similar size to the Berco but were nowhere near as tight to press and had to have a swage done on them when in place
great pics there Tony, as usual. All the best for Christmas and New Year!
Slidey, the Rock Hawg thing that I used to have trouble with migrating track pins was on 50 mm pin CAT 350 track groups, these pins would sometimes run up about the 8'000 psi spot with a 105 ton cylinder, I bought the other Berco cylinder to do PPR pins (Positive Pin Ret') on a big old banger, all that messing about with those collar things was a right dog, the Trencher is in Europe working at the moment coming back to the U.K. in March, to have a strip down and new digging chains fitted etc'. oarwhat, I am very happy you managed to understand that bit of script, although you speak English its not like the stuff I utter?? Lanway, I will pm you in the AM and explain the drama I need to avoid or at least have a "Today" type answer for. living the dream tctractors
I measured the pins on the berco track. Just shy of 65mm It's a 200t machine running on a 90t diggers tracks, twas never gonna be too flash
TC I live in the US . I'm amazed at the difference between your English and ours. I never knew there was much difference until I started following your posts. I know you twist your words some but you guys have a different way of expressing yourselves. I needed a part for my boat and had to call the UK to get the correct part. The conversation was I can't find the right word. Awkward or challenging maybe. We were both speaking English but not the same language.
I love his dialect? Im starting to use terms like knackered and take it to bits myself. Either way he reminds me alot of my father repairing machines wherever they failed with basic "spanners" and a unique way of thinking outside of the box. The training he provided has served me well Happy Holidays everyone !
Well I am glad you Lads are "Copping On" with the verbs that I print, some of that Mercan stuff I find a fare challenge, the biggest mavels to me has to be Ice Road Truckers and those learners digging for Gold, please don't think that I am being rude but "Blood and Sand" what a total load of crap, the U.K. gets these Man Cartoons about 2 years later than the U.S. in the Gold Rush thing of resent we had Parker (The Son of) reverse an a 25C up a little ramp with all sorts of wheels spinning, a Volvo A25C is unstoppable with all the locks in, the button on the floor needs pressing, then the basic driving skill on the excavators needs sorting as they are Howlers, the Mechanic turns up with a bit of Skirt on tow, rapidly running into the Jungle with the Mare bringing the job to a halt, this is why we don't have Guns in the U.K. as we would have Shot both of them, on the trucker front its a bit of road in the shape of a Y, so it's turn left or right on the start out from Yellow Knife at a point ahead, and these people manage to get this bit wrong, these Comedy Shows are nearly painful to view and not a good advert for machinery, perhapse I have said the wrong thing here its just I struggle some in this context, as a few years back I had the pleasure to see an old Navvy being driven by a visitor from the U.S. at a Vintage Excavator Trust, he was Top Draw. tctractors
You summed up gold rush fairly accurate. If only the millions that watch knew the truth.
tctractors,well I for one refuse to watch this Ice Truckers. All you ever hear is "what if". Should a truck go thru the ice and there was a lose of life,that would never be shown. The load always seems to get delivered. One show had a whole pallet of grader blades dumped on road and no one saw whole pallet lifted by driver. Of course not as there is a cameraman and a driver. 3 people will get them onto the trailer. Not just one. Drama increases ratings. One driver who is loud and has no appreciation of other people's equipment would not ever set his butt in my truck. All these reality shows must have drama and crap to exist.IMO.
Blk prince, do you still drive trucks on the Timber? on these Forums we are lucky to have "King of the Obsolete" that seems to cope like a Polar Bear in the cold, and makes those Ice Road drivers look Total Pants without any effort, the Mechanic that was making "The Filter" in Gold Rush was a joke and would be hard pressed to earn any coins on this Rock, sadly he would stand out as N.F.U. on any Muck shift or Pile Drive site I have worked on, these sort of jobs usually attract good hands that are very focused on the task. Thank you all for your comments and for looking at my snaps, lets hope the new year ahead is good for all of us and our Family's, I look at my Bride and know I have been Lucky, I look at my Son and know he has been Lucky, the way the Bride looks after him is untrue? he has been left home 5 years comes in my House to look in the Fridge? Slidey, I really enjoyed your Track press photo as it looks like the U.K. with our puddles and mud, some people have had a real tough time the last few weeks here in the U.K. with near constant rain fall, it seems to be happening in the U.S. as well. tctractors
We are coming into the wet season here in the northern part of Western Australia. The lady in question left her track behind at the bottom of the ramp to the pit. It then started to rain in a bit of a show off fashion and collected right where we were working. Being of Irish makings I'm used to working in ground that's soft underfoot and have learnt to thread lightly haha Love your thread, my old man is of the same vintage as yourself and served his time with Langs in London so a lot of your stories sound familiar. He's in semi retirement fettling with road transport in Ireland these days but misses the plant all the time
You don't have to make an international call to hear English that isn't, just dial up Louisiana, LMAO! Them Coonass boys sure can murder a sentence. :tong
Years back I had the opportunity to do some work with one of our quarries down near Richmond Va. The head mechanic at that plant was a good guy by the name of Doooug, or at least that's how it sounded to this norther boy. It may have something to do with the full pouch of Redman tobacky in his cheeks! Good thing he talked a little slow as it took me a bit of time to figure out what he was saying, then again he probably had just as much trouble understanding me. I know when visiting cousins out in Minnesota the always made fun of my New York accent. Strange thing is I never felt they had accents!
When I heard about the Ice Road show, the Gold diggers, and Logging show I almost had a dish installed so I could watch those shows. Then I saw a few shows at my sister's place. What a pile of made for TV junk to me. Yet the people keep watching it, why I have no idea. It was like watching All Star Wrestling kind of fun to see how crazy they could be but always knowing it was fake. Tony, Always enjoy the snaps you share with us and the verbs that you use. Did see the back end of your work truck how about sharing a few snaps of the inside one day. Growing up on the farm and working there half my life I know how much I hate mud. Of course we had a lot of livestock so they kept the mud churned up and added so aroma to it, quite often. Have no shop to repair equipment in didn't help, i used a rubber windrower belt, it was 4' X 10' to lay on. It kept a lot of the mud off you but the water seemed to always find a way to your back side. Please keep sharing with us as it sure is enjoyed!
TCT.. hope you are not getting drowned out over there.. looks like rain has been in your world more than usual!
tctractors,yes I am still putting in the odd day here and there hauling lumber or bridge parts. I can monitor my calls and watch the weather as well before I decide to go out against the no-brainer a on the highways over here. Now about your weather,I see there is a bit of moisture about and the Queen's finest have been called up to help out. Are you fairly safe from roaring torrents?
oldirt and Bp, the area I live nearly always has floods yearly, Upton upon Severn has very good flood barriers around the Town that work very well, the next Town down river is Tewkesbury this has had some flood work done to lessen the flood effect but the Town can still flood out easily, Tewkesbury has 2 large Rivers converging together so its very used to High Water, in the location people expect to have a bit of Water about and have managed with this problem for thousands of years, my Shack has never been flooded as I have good hight and location as I can always get onto a close by Motorway M5 - M50 rain or snow, the people up North in Cumbria are having a Nightmare due to a Weather system that seems to be locking the rain clouds constantly over this Outstanding Area, local people from Upton upon Severn and Tewkesbury have headed up to Cumbria to give help with their skills and equipment as they are very used to this task, the temp's here have been very kind to me as its only been cold a few days in October/November with nothing lower than -5 below, so as things stand apart from the rain things are good for me and everyone in my location. tctractors
Hi TC.I noticed the name Cautrac mentioned. If it helps you any,I know a nice lad that pulls spanners for them and is well thought off by Cautrac. If you need bits,he could help. On a different note,I'm to ask you if you remember painting over some road markings in a temper many years ago??? P.s.I am ready when you are to play with those horrible D8 rams. Not bothered though if not. I hope you are all well and eating left over beef and Turkey still. No faggots or salad........ever mate
Before anyone get to upset might I offer a little information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)
Hi there Nicky, I do have a Direct contact with 1 of the Top Dogs at Cautrac as I do have little dealings with them as and when, credit to them they do respond to any call made, on the D8 Cylinders I know I have been slow off the mark but in the next few weeks I will beat them into shape for you, on the Faggot thing they are very tasty cheap things made of all sorts of crap that the Butcher finds stuck to his Shoe, a few months ago my Bride said to me you have Faggots for Dinner (7 pm meal), I was very happy until I see on the Brides plate a Massive Rump Steak, not wanting to come over a cry baby I sort of asked meekly why I had crap faggots and she had Rump Steak, her reply sort of made sense that I liked Faggots and she did not, so slightly ticked off with the deal I ate up my rubbish watching the Bride tuck in to 16oz + of steak, the next night I get home and for Dinner I have Belly Pork another crap sort of thing but I do like it, only to see the Bride tuck into another Rump Steak?? I was well miffed at this double steak missed opportunity and asked what's going on, the Bride told me "You Like Belly Pork" and as there was a spare Steak I had it, I did all sorts of explaining the fact that Steak beats Faggots and also beats Belly Pork, to be told you like them both "Tough" I don't, so now you know I get the crap all ways. tctractors
Methinks the honeymoon is over... keep an eye on the vicar would be my advice.
Tony,this is how it's done mate. The chap that's on about the road signs or something is called Barry or Billy Smith???. You have been mentioned on fb and a few people were asking after you.
TcTractors, We have several "Countys" right local to me. And a "Roadless" disguised as a county. And at one time, I really wanted one, went looking. Local dealer had the smaller one (IIRC a 740 ?) Had a cab on it, I climbed up in, no problems. Went to dis-embark...not seeing any steps, lept off face forward...got my fat ass stuck between the front and back tires, caught on my hips, feet about 8" off the, ground pedaling furiously. Friend is on ground, laughing un-controllably, I finally get up enough arm strength to lift my self up and off those tires.
Doug, The first one in the pic looks more like a Muir Hill than Roadless. The other ones are 1164s dating from 1971 > 75 era.....throwing out about 96 horses on the PTO
You could be right on the Muir-Hill....Their around here too. We had a small dealer named "Richard Brady", that imported all 3 to this area. The 1164's are different owners, about 2 miles apart.
tctractors,well coming up to noon here Tony,I suppose you and the bride getting ready to celebrate. All the lads down under will be well into it by now. Keep sending the pics,grins and dirt on the chin. Happy New Year to you and all the good HEF members. Regards. BP
Wow things are looking up some, today and the last few days I have been working on the Spider Plough, its a big old set of kit so a day goes no where, anyhow it looks like I will soon be working on a Bucket Wheel Trencher, this takes me back to my Pipe Line days on the Clevelands and Blaw Knox iron so deep down its like going full spin in the head. Nicky, thank you for the Grilled Steak picture it helped me no end tonight as I ate the Brides Sacrifice to the crap food Gods, now onto B, Smith and the painted over Speed Limit Signs, the Highways Bods put up a speed limit Sign right by my Drive, now the bride was running on Steam and managed to send some Rude Verbs into top rank Highway Ears to get it shifted and Rapid, I was given some spray paint to cover (without Harming) road signs, as soon as I hit home I painted all the Speed Limit Signs over giving the Road Gang the Shift It or Pick It up Off the Floor bulletin on the stupid Sign, I painted out about 10 Signs lugging my step ladder about to do a good job, the limit being the spray can ran dry, credit to the Highway Bods within 24 hours they worked out it was me on the mooch with a spray can, the result being the Top Gun on the Highways calls me and I politely put my issue over about his poor choice of location, this resulted in the post being chopped down and shifted about 300 ft away, B. Smith was a Steam Boss for an Irish Civil Construction outfit and was like a God to me, he used to give me loads of Good Work with top levels of Pay and all sorts of "Dodges" would intermingle as long as his Company did well though it, sadly B. Smith left the Company to go on another direction possibly the stress of running 10 jobs at a time was doing him no good, luckily he always had a plan up his sleeve and hopped off the spinning wheel in time, I look back on the B. Smith days as Good Times that would be hard to beat, I loved it. To all the people on this Forum and visit my little World here "Happy New Year" and thank you D-Doug for posting those shots, I do think that the first 1 looks to be a Muir Hill? like Richard posted, I would like to see a snap of the Truck you drive now B, prince. tctractors. p.s. the B. Smith antics would make a cracking Book or even a Film I just keep on Smiling. Good Health to all.
tct,I have a good one. Just need help to post. First challenge for 2016. All the best.
Tony, It has almost been a month did you retire, to wet out and muddy to take pictures, or so busy that not enough time to post pictures? Miss seeing what you are working on and the descriptions with wordage that I so enjoy.
dirty4fun,you are right Jim,tct has been very quiet. I see today was the last day for production of the Land Rover Defender. Hope Tony is taking it well
Well things are still active but the job front is starting to get slow mainly due to the Rain fall, I do have a few oddments worth posting so I will sort it, the L/Rover end dragged on some with all sorts of daft reasons for stopping the build, but it all comes down to "Profit" on the build with all the other guff a load of crap. tctractors
I realize that a business has to make a profit to stay in business. Just seems to bad that they can't keep making something that is quite practical and useful for a smaller profit. Yes they do as you say Tony use a load of crap for reasons to not continue building. Hope your rains subside soon, with some sunny days to warm the ground and hearts of those working in it. Will be watching for what eve you share and the verbs you use so well! Jim
Dirty, I have a few unusual jobs on this coming week on the "Spider Plough" well its on the Winch unit so its onwards and upwards, the drum is full loaded with 42mm Die Formed steel cable so its a good bit of Baggage to stow, if I damage the cable I will be tapped up for 5 Large (£5'000) for a new bit of string to stuff on it, so I am ticking the brain cells (just 2 of e'm) on the best way to crack on without dropping a Bollock, today my job was cut short by the "Hoy Paloy" sorts jambing the Site full of Fancy 4x4 chariots brim full of Shotgun toting Whisky Drinkers, all this Fire power against some daft but nice looking Birds, anyhow I need to get a Cab off a Scania Truck using a Gantry that is to low, so today I have made it High Enough, photo's coming soon. tctractors
Tony, Hope you get both brain cells up and running smooth as an old Johnny popper hitting on both. Sounds like you will become a surgeon carefully working through the braids of steel, instead of organs. As always looking forward to your snaps and some of your great descriptions, of work and the comings and goings to get to your work. Maybe a few of those birds will fall close by and you can be a hero taking them home to your bride. Jim
Thank you very much for the info in this thread. I am about to change out the sprockets on a 9U D6. I have a Cat puller tool, but not sure what I need from the kit (just bought a large box with the cylinder, pump and a bunch of tubes/adapters. So when pulling the sprocket, the puller pins to the adapter that threads to the dead shaft and pushes off of the deadshaft and not the bull gear where the splines are? The tool catalog shows a bunch of tubes, what are they for and are they needed? Also, when installing a sprocket, what surface does the pusher push against on the sprocket? (the front face just above the splined area?) Thanks for any help
scotty, to pull and push your rims on a D6 is not hard its the bits before and after that take a bit of sorting, in your box of bits is there a large adjustable C spanner? as it comes in handy, and to what level do you have the tractor stripped down, have you removed the blade (if fitted) then split both track groups and pulled the frames out? a few photos of your tooling would be handy along with a snap or 2 of your tractor and I will give you any assistance you will need, oh and draining the oil from the F/Drives is another winner if you like things tidy, if you are going to change out the sprockets no doubt you are going to pop off the casings to check its innards?? tctractors
thanks tc.... I actually have 2 machines. I have the sideframes off and yes, I do have the large adj. spanner for the bearing nut. I have a yellow book which does pretty good. But when looking at what it calls for for pulling does not match most of the pictures you show, which seem like the puller just pins to the dead axle via the adapter and pushes that while pulling through the spokes. Then I think I am now straight on pushing it back on, the sprocket pusher can go either way, the 6.5" OD side against the sprocket for the D6 and the smaller side would be for a D4?? I will try to get some pics, but am not near the machine at this time.
I meant to say 2 machines, one is parts that has good sprockets and tracks. Its all apart, just ready to pull the sprockets. Will be draining the oil and looking at the pinion and bull gears.
scotty, if you follow the service book its sort of hard work, in later times there was a revised method to pull /push sprockets for a single man to do it by himself, the first job to do is removal of the outer carrier bearing hub, this involves un-bolting the end cap , removing the dead shaft nut and the plate including any shims behind it, facing you will be 2 dowels and the D/shaft stub, screw on your nose adaptor (early 1"1/2 x 12 later 1"3/4 x 12) until the end of the adapter is about 1/8" of an inch from the dowels (a small gap) then tighten the hub adjuster nut with the C spanner and a length of pipe (5 ft tube and nut locks removed) fit your cylinder complete with the pin nose into the adaptor on the dead shaft and fit up your legs to the rim, then pump the cylinder out until the outer hub pops off with the dowels now touching the adaptor and strip off the tooling, place an oil tray under the sprocket to catch oil from the hub as you pull it off the shaft, you will now see a bearing with the locked rim nut, tap the lock ears free, then you need to find a spacer plate or collar that will go into and stop end the carrier hub via the dead shaft adaptor, smear some grease on the collar face that is going to touch the hub and tighten the adaptor on to the D/shaft until firm then undo 1 full turn max, put a bar through the end of the adaptor so it will stop it turning, then fit your C spanner to the hub nut and start the engine and in 1st speed undo the nut until you can drop the Horse shoe fitting between the nut (done back up) and the bearing to force the bearing all the way off, if your engine will not run you have a bit of work on with the 5 foot tube, the next bit you DO NOT MESS UP as damage or Blood might fly, you remove the Big nut and the tin lock from the hub, then re-fit the big nut to the hub leaving a small gap between the nut and sprocket (3/16th is ok a 1/4" is to loose) then with the spacer collar and the adapter done up firm and eased off about 1/2 a turn fit up your cylinder and pull legs to the rim and pull the sprocket free, be WARNED before you start pumping anything look at the NUT and make sure its good and always pin the cylinder through the rod nose to the dead shaft. I still would like to see a few snaps tctractor p.s. the standard rod out length is around 6" make sure you are not at the rod out limit.
Where else???Where else could you get this?Wow!Ron G
The help you get on this site is wonderful, where else can you find so much knowledge so freely shared. Tony, thanks for sharing your knowledge, thou I did miss your usual lot of verbs being used on this occasion.
Dirty, I had a bit of Comedy this afternoon at a very posh Farm, next to the Cat D4 that I am working on is pens of the very best Hereford critters, these animals are looked after by a dry old character that is around 80 years old and seems to like a pint of Cider with his bread and cheese at lunch time, now he tends to move in a slow and sort of tricky style but credit to him the work is his way of life and he does crack on, he often drives about in 1 of those dodgy looking 4 wheel buggy jobs that look favourite to tip over, anyhow this afternoon he pulled up in the death trap cart about 40ft from me where he parks the thing, as he walked past he said "I've Had a Blowout" I asked if he wanted me to change the wheel, only to be told it was the wrong blow out as he had **** himself, eating my meal this evening has been a task as I keep laughing about the old chap. tctractors
Dang TC you should put an alert out to put down all food and liquid refreshments when you are going to post something like that!
Here is the parts machine... it is less engine now as we sold it. Was a pipelayer. Made the track frames extra fun to remove! I will get more pics at another time.
thanks again for your help
tctractors,what is this. Not able to give the old gent a warm friendly hand? Haha
B.p. I could have gone back to the Farm Site today but I am going to a Landfill Track pin pushing instead until the air clears, I have had an odd and not common little Track Shovel dropped off with 1 track not driving, its a 931 C series that I have never seen or worked on before, so I will be taking a few snaps of the thing as they are not common to find in the U.K. its not from my location so it should work out well for the owners and myself, as they want it fixed and I want to look at it. tctractors p.s. Scotty, all the direction I gave you is easy to understand if you look at the pictures I have posted to enhance the verbs.
T C Once you get older you will better understand how a mistake like a Shart can happen. Best to sty away for a day or to till the air clears, and the Fruit of the Looms also. Scotty The old dozer looks like you had it parked in Chicago over night!
tctractors,finally a new challenge. This is what keeps the brain cells working. Keep us posted when time permits
Well the little 931C was just like a 931 but with trendy bits added, sadly it looks an easy fix as a steering control rod has dropped off the spool valve arm , plus it needs a brake adjust that looks a fiddle to get at, the owners will be happy if this is all it needs, tomorrow its back working on the Spider Plough, I will post some snaps for the weekend. tctractors
some pics of me at work
a few more pics of me at work
and some more
a few more to look at
more pics to look at of me at work
and some final ones
I will post a bit of script to hook up the snaps asap. tctractors
Thanks Tony. Must be close to your nap time over there. Cheers. Bp
Do you raise your rates when you have to work on a piece of equipment sitting inside a shop LOL? Looks a bit drier than normal there.
Well as with the rest of the World the weather has been a bit odd with very heavy rainfall and unusual hot for winter temps, anyhow the little Komatsu loading shovel had a liven up with a few new bits including a full service and valve lash set, the shovel is in very good condition although it looks a bit tatty, the thing gets left in compounds being used by truck drivers to self load, the smart looking Volvo is a good used Shovel bought off Volvo (Minworth) and is a welcome addition in the Main Yard for the Company, the Blue things are the Spider Plough on the 1 bit I welded an additional plate (Weldox) under and to both sides of the main beam, this was free hand cut and Basic Coated MMA welded, the Winch unit on the rubber track thing needed a new selecting ring fitting, every Cap Screw needed loads of heat to undo that held the cover in place, the cable 42mm dia' was pulled from the drum and dragged up the Lane into the distance to lessen the hub weight by a good few Ton, the Volvo excavator snapped a track pin and rolled its idler out of the frame as it set off to start work first thing in the morning, the CAT D6N LGP is another U.S.A. import (Used) its running System 1 track groups that are proving costly within the U.K. as near every Dozer under the D8 size is found on LGP plates so lots of snapped links, the little 931C was once a Trim Shovel used on Ships its 1 track had stopped driving, I soon sorted this and adjusted the brakes as well. The Scania 142 6x2 (Rear Tag Axle) is about to be restored to a Good Standard not as new, this is a new start for the Waggon as its been worked hard like all 142's, it was bought new by D.J. Light and then sold to Ross Garratt, now owned by a Cheltenham Company that have Barns stuffed with Classic Scanias, this 1 is hopefully something I will get to use after I have finished the rebuild, we will see?? tctractors
Does that Scania have that lovely sounding V8 that Mack got a piece of for their trucks over the years?If so I would work for nothing on that one.Ron G
Wow a lot of different jobs that you have been on as of late. Nice to find a dry spot when the weather is not so conducive to working in. I am always amazed by the variety of work you do. A lot of knowledge between your ears, being put to good use. A few snaps of your chariot would nice to see. Thanks for sharing your pictures and verbs about your jobs.
RonG, the Scania is the 14 Litre V8 420 hp engine job, it only has a 10 speed Range Change box that is nothing to hard to peddle about, its all a bit like driving a Car, the Scammalls and Fodens I have driven where hard work and you had to be Master of every move in getting them tugging well against a few Ton holding them back, I loved it and miss it dearly. dirty, this is just a few jobs done since the last batch of snaps, as I have been working on some new-ish stuff that is not really worth a snap, the Komatsu 320 Shovel copped a line bore effort on the bottom pin location, it was done by a pal of mine that is local to me. tctractors
Tony,I would tape that exhaust note and sell the CDs,you could retire early.LOL.Thanks for the thought.Ron G
The Scania 142 RonG , is as I said heading for the New Beginning, its a worn out Old Banger that needs a bit of poke stuffed back in it, the first 142's ran at around 388 hp, then the Intercooler was stuffed onto them bringing the Beans up to the 420 hp spot, the Intercooler Badge seemed to find itself on the Non Intercooler chariots, anyhow the cabs off now and its time to whip out the Trucks innards so the New Beginning has started. I have loads of old Black and White photo's of Bulk Muck jobs that I would like to put up as a bit of History that could soon be lost for ever if I Cop an Arrow (drop dead) would it be a good thing to run them in this thread as and when, or should I start a new thing'y? a few are in colour but stacks are monochrome its about 400 pic's roughly, any comments welcome and no it's not in the super fantastic style of Back in the Day, plenty of D9's stuffing 657's all the way back to DW21's even shots from 657 back engines of tandem 9's doing the business. tctractors
TC I'd just add them to this thread. I don't think anyone following this thread wants to miss out!!! On second thought maybe just give us a heads up as to where to go. That way others can enjoy your "verbage" and different way of seeing things
I look forward to seeing them. I agree to start a new thread, perhaps under old iron and post a link from here for the folks that read this one and may not go to old iron. Yahoo, I love the old pictures.
Post them Tony,I don't care where as long as you point us to them.I don't have to tell you that us old fa*rts will enjoy looking at them.Ron G
Wow more to look forward to from Tony's collection of older equipment. Just share where you put them, and we will follow.
a few monochromes
a few more monochromes
Just a few snap's to kick off with and the first Mono Chrome is in Colour,lots of these photos are from a time long past of Muck Shift jobs that myself or my pal David Moggeridge also a Heavy Plant Mechanic of some fame (well He is to Me) have worked on, the Hough D500 was a very competent push loader, the Scrapers and kit parked up are from the Cribbs Causeway Bristol, the D9's pushing the 657's are 18 and 19A series tractors with the early big outer hub F/Drives, the photo's were taken by David sitting on the hood of the back motor, I have better shots with 4 D9's stuffing the beans into the stump of a 657 that I will post if you like this stuff ? the young fitter with bits of CAT 977 in his hands is an apprentice on D1ck Hamptons, the 657's passing road trucks are being driven to Jordan to start the Muck on the new Airport. tctractors p.s. forgot to say that on the first photo David is the tall Lad.
Tc Keep them coming.
These black and white pics remind me of all the pics I took of my TOD in the army engineers in Germany back in the early '60s.Love them and keep them coming.Ron G
RonG and Daro, I might be making a mistake putting these pictures into this bit of a quiet area of the forum? my hope is that other people will possibly pluck any of them off and re-use them as they please, there cannot be many photo's taken of D9 E/G tractors at work from the back hood of a 657, the scrapers and D9's are from C.A. Blackwell Earthmoving building the M5 Motoway, the thought is to keep the photo's in the Big Space so when myself and David Moggeridge "Throw a Seven" our bits and dabs are in the WW Cloud showing a bit of back bone from a time past, the 640x640 size doe's rob something from the detail but after the full 400 pic's get stuffed up the eyes might adjust. tctractors
Tony, seriously you should get this and your other pics put in a book with some of your script telling about your life and the characters you've met along the way. I am sure there will be a lot who would be interested
Great pictures TC! Did you take these? Are you in any of them? I'm going to build me one of those custom lifting devices picking that bull gear? Looks like it would work perfect on idlers and many other places. Thanks for sharing....TIO
Richard, I was down in your Parish the other day with the Bride, we had a few day stay at the Dartington Hall, some smart pitch that spot is for something built in 1388, the Bride did the driving so as you would expect I lost about a Stone in weight from Fear Sweats from her usual antics with the peddles and the unusual gear changes at 130mph, it was all going very calmly on the second day, we popped a look at a few Fishing Villages Dartmouth being 1, silly me spotted that Slapton Sands was just a few miles up the road and asked the Bride to carry on to the Sands, you will be only to aware of the DANGER I faced as the Bride did everything possible to run this Goat Track bit of road at around the 90 mph spot without changing gear or using the brake peddle, the rough bit for me was knowing we had to go back up the same nasty little lane home, it sure makes going to Work a treat! TIO, a load of the photo's are my pal David's he has worked in the Bulk Muck game for years with D1ck Hampton, Blackwell's, Sheppard, MJM, M. Pierce, A.E. Farr, Beacher (Father) etc, also chasing the big coins in the Hot Spots, the tong thing is hoisting a D8H bullgear on a D1ck Hampton tractor in about 1966, David is now around the 78 years old spot and still works on CAT Equipment, about 4 years ago he was working with me in a freezing snow storm stripping out a transmission from a Moxy Dump Truck, in a flash of guilt I asked him if he was O.K. as it was hellish cold and bleak, David looked at me with a smile and said " Its all Good here " some are tougher than you think. tctractors
You should have popped down around for a cuppa and a pasty ;-) The storms over the weekend have destroyed the road right there near the Sherman tank monument at Torcross. By the way the Start-Bay Inn pub/restaurant at Torcross has an excellent reputation in the area for fish dishes. Could you smell the 'grass' at Dartington? That part of the world has a bit of a rep. for herbal remedies Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of these classic pics. http://www.kingsbridge-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=101993&headline=Holes%20appear%20in%20sea%20wall%20at%20Torcross%20and%20peat%20is%20washed%20away%20at%20North%20Hallsands§ionIs=news&searchyear=2016
TC, Hopefully the stone weight you lost was not a kidney stone, thou might of been easier on you to pass the kidney stone, than all the sweats with the wife driving. Enjoyed the verbs shared describing the experience of the couple days off. Makes going back to work a little more enjoyable, thou for a while.
Good reading as allways .
some pics of me at work
and a few more
and some final ones
Good to see a post from you Tony, looks like the usual fun and games. What the hell happened to that liner and block?
Don, that looks very much like a 2-piece articulated piston. Lose the skirt and, well, you know the rest...... If my suspicion is correct then it's amazing that the rod didn't come out the side as well.
A few snaps of stuff from the last few weeks, The first picture is of a Tracked Hydraulic Loader built by Trackson that I had to get the track frames off, boy what a tricky set up to strip, then some 5" D8H hoist rods getting new seals including my easy undo kit (Field Service), then a nasty little CAT 3126B series engine stuffed into a Marooka that after sorting the wiring etc might be best to be swapped out for 1 of my 3306 engines, the black cab thing is a Scania 142 V8 that I am working on its restoration a day or so a week its a 6x2 rear tag axle set up, the straight 6 cylinder engine has just copped the overhead set, its a Perkins engine that was the CAT 3406E in its latest format, so its a CAT Engine, I did read some place that Perkins have built over 9'000'000 engines? they must be good, the stuffed V8 is a 16 litre 620 HP Scania engine that had a bank to get up and had cooling issues half way up, the 2 section piston spat the skirt into the sump but made it to the top of the hill, so this engine has copped a full hit on pistons liners B/End Brgs 1 new head (single heads) and 28 valve guides in the other heads as I did that task today, tomorrow its build up the heads and stuff e'm back home, just to make things fun the gear box was removed including the clutch and flywheel, to strip off the back case with a Scania Crack in it, so note the back gears with the oil pump high up on the left, the Firm that is me by myself has been very busy but on lots of newish crap that is not worth a snap. blowing it on tctractors
Tony, good to see some snaps of your labors, always enjoyable to see and sort through a few of your verbs. Looks like some major repairs, in a dry building. Must be the rains have stopped, or that is how it works with me at times. When it is dry outside I am inside working, and vice versa. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I got the picture on the piston, just can't believe it's in that good of shape. Should have been an inspection window in the block where she tried to escape as you say
Tony,one the Hauliers that runs timber out of Scotland for me had just replaced one of his big V8 Scania trucks.Its an 06 plate yolk,that he's putting into dry storage and won't sell. He reckons she does 4 miles to the gallon ,but with the extra poke in the hill haul roads, it more than justifies the fuel burn with faster turnaround times.
I thought that was the truck Clarkson drove thru the brick wall at 57 mph..... (just been watching dvd of top gear...)
Nicky,did you spot your hoist cylinders, the 1 rod was a knacker so I stuffed in a bit better 1. Scania parts are dearer than Gold, a rod is £900 an inlet valve is £100 and being a 4 valve V8 it can suck a few pounds up, an articulating piston and liner kit is getting on £500, so its 4 Large to fill all the holes, I am still stuffing this motor back together and credit to Scania Parts they seem to change spe'c on things with little thought, I had 2 new inlet valves delivered today, but the collet fixing has changed so I now need new collets, possibly Tuesday??? tctractors
Hey there TC, hows the weather treating you? I believe that neck of the woods is getting a bit of a summer this year?
I don't know about Tony's area but summer has come to my part of the workd which is about 100 miles north-west of him. After a wet & windy winter we've now got wall to wall sunshine and blue skies, have had for a while now. Generally any time we get more than 3 consecutive days of sunshine and no rain is classed as "summer". Of course it's not like summer where you are, if we're lucky the temperature might go over mid 20's. On the other side of the coin in France & Germany it's been raining so hard that they are experiencing major flooding. So all those Brits who went off to France for the school holidays "to get the sun" might just as well have stayed at home ......
It has been quite a while since we have heard anything again from Tony, sure miss his use of verbs and great pictures with stories of his labors. Come on T C share with us.
Don't you wonder how he has time to share anything with us considering how much he accomplishes?And how about Nige????How could you live long enough to have the knowledge that he has.......about everything?Ron G
I'm originally from the north west coast of Ireland, I have a PhD in working in wet miserable weather hahaha Lots of the fellow countrymen off to France for the soccer, loos like they'll need to bring their brolly with them so. Winter time here, max of 17 during the day and down to single digits at night but with the wind feels colder. I'd be thinking it was a grand day at home. Must be getting soft haha
Still no rain here, only sea fog. TT Senior Race day today and the fog has played havoc with the race schedule. Big race should have gone off at 12:30 but latest news says 15:45. Reports from one part of the course a few minutes ago were that they'd just had a shower of rain. The 45 minute signal has just gone off it it looks like we are on for a 3:45 start, yippee. Here at the house we just have watery sunshine (because of the fog) and no wind at all. Very humid & muggy. Forecast for tomorrow gives some chance of rain but they've been saying that every day for the last week and we've seen nothing yet. I would imagine that the good weather here in the UK has had TC up to his ears in work.
He's discovered Facebook and The Old Girls of Plant Hire page
You seem to have acclimatised to the Pilbara nicely Slidey, unlike this Pom. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/27073-diary-pom-karratha.html
There was a period like that my first summer up here
Well the "Firm" has been very busy, but I will post a few snaps asap, its a shame its not easy to post pictures like Facebook, 2 clicks and the picture is up. tctractors
So true Tony but we will wait to see your snaps and a few verbs to go with them when ever you can.
dirty4dun. Sad sad day in you US ofA
tctractors, Just finished going through this wonderful thread, its incredible what one man can accomplish with ingenuity, determination and a few spanners! Very inspirational going over the photos! When my projects seem overwhelming all I need to do is to browse through this thread to get inspired and get back on the tools!
Glad you like my antic's R.H. I have just copped some work in a Brick Works (Northcot Brick) that make bricks by hand, they use machinery to mash up the clay that the Co bought second hand in 1925,I an only there to fix the Earth works kit it's a great place for a Dog like myself, I have also copped work in a Stone Quarry that cut and carve the stone into things of top quality, the stone is hooked out in lumps by a 45 ton swinger, the lumps then are lugged about by a couple of CAT 980's, then cut on Stone Saw's to size, then on to the Mason's table to be hacked into the finished product, so things are about as good as it gets.
Everything that you do takes on a new complexion and is fodder for all us gear heads Tony,I still don't know how you get so much done and talk about it too!!Keep us chomping,we always look forward the post from tctractors.Ron G
TC is alive and well. I overtook him last week somewhere in England. He was eating a piece of cake.
Nige,I'm based near D.Wardle's yard near Warrington,Cheshire if you're passing. Call in for a brew up if you get time. I'm in the office most days. My number is 07977 900667. You'd be wellcom.
Thanks for the offer Nicky. I'll bear it in mind next time I'm in the area. Getting across the "wet bit" from the IOM just to drop in for a brew could be a problem though.... you can't just get in the car and drive there.
Ha ha,fair does Nige
Cool pics
what you been up to lately Tony?.....summertime, no rain to labour thru......ideal for ripping out final drives
My oh my. This thread has been so quiet. Has tct retired?
I had been wondering about him as well, I hope he's in good health and just being short of verbs as it were...
Yair . . . He chimed in on that other thread about the six C engine. Cheers.
Happy Christmas to all, I do suffer some with picture posting on this Forum, but I do have a sweet little job to tackle over the Christmas spot on a little D4E LGP tractor, it was making a lot of fuss to push out muck with a bit of a Din coming from some place, the owner noted that 1 F/Drive seemed a bit Hot, being a bit handy with a spanner they popped the frame out and set into the drive pulling off the rim with the outer case ? it would seem the Dead Shaft had snapped through needing some specialist help to put things back to good they rang my digits, so I will get a few snap's of my antic's putting this chariot to go, I will be pulling down Both F/Drives and whipping out the cross shaft and top pinions, the owner is getting bothered some by his tractor looking like a model kit (all in Bits) he might be in for a shock, coming soon! tctractors
Will be looking forward to some updates, and pictures of the job after Christmas. Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and relax with the family. Then back at it with many verbs to be shared with us, as we most certainly enjoy your great descriptions!
Looking forward to some snaps and verbs about the D4E Tony. For the rest of you, spare a thought for those of us here with our noses to the grindstone on Christmas Day while you're enjoying the festive turkey. In my case only 4 days to go before I bolt for a month though....
I'm sure that little D4 may well be enough to ruin it's owners Christmas!
Nite,sorry you are one of the lads that have to toil today. 14:00 here now so 22:00 where you are. You should be done now. Normally I would say I will have one for you but since today is also my birthday,I will have 2 shots for you. Enjoy the day to all the lads. Cheers. Bp
A 994H service for me and a few artic hoses to go along with it. Fly back to civilisation tomorrow though so all is soon to be right
BP, where I am right now is 3 hours behind GMT, so it's 12 noon here, 15:00 in UK. If my calculations are correct we must be 5 hours ahead of you.
tctractors. All the best for 2017. You are already into it. 7 3/4 hrs for us. Hope to keep in touch next year. Cheers
Hey mate, got myself a 994H with cavitating implement pumps after a service. Sis basically says to run it up to bleed them. Got any other handy ideas, they dont seem to like that!
I hope someone comes on board. 10 months without tctractors or friends is TOO long
B P you sure have that right, miss T C verbs and pictures. He is quite handy with a spanner and getting the job done with what ever is at hand to help him lift the heavy stuff. I hope he is running the wheels off his newest chariot, and comes back with more snaps to share with us..
TC Is still alive and well best I can tell. He posts on facebook in a group called "The Old Girls of Plant Hire". I wish he'd come back and share here and forget about that D6 engine disaster.
That's good news! Thanks for sharing, maybe we could start a petition to get him back on here!!??
I'll back that. I'd be the first to sign! Ditto for scrub. Maybe help him get a better computer/internet connection AusDave
I second that notion!!
Reading through this old thread again and what a great read it is. Although I am a bit embarrassed by my post on page 11. It comes across as quite abrupt and not very courteous, which it was not supposed to be. It is a bit like texting, you have to be careful at times because the reader can not always see what you mean.
R.C. I am 66 now so thinking of cutting back on the work to 6 days a week and just a few hours on Sundays, my Wife takes good care of the house and garden so things are steady on. tctractors
Tc do you or your pal have any youngsters coming up behind you? I know you have passed a lot of knowledge through this site but I am sure you have a lot more.
Sad to say no takers on anyone showing interest in doing this type of work, I have tried to find a handy Lad to invest time and effort into with the thought of giving all my tooling and books etc to when the Knacker Man turns up for me, but hard to find someone that likes a bit of Work as the ££££ side of things would be handy enough, Track pin pressing, Nitrogen charging, Sprocket pressing and all the other side events are easy enough to undertake if you know what you are doing, I go all over the U.K. so it's not a boring day. tctractors p.s. I always work by myself as it would seem I am Billy No Mates.
TC,your son seems to be pretty slick at the business he’s in,and it’s hard to blame him for not picking up his dads spanners I suppose. My eldest is not keen at all,but young Tommy still shows unwavering enthusiasm!
When you realy need to be training a replacement is not at the end of your work its at the middle of it but your in your prime and its hard to see the future.There is a younger guy that is a good machinist he was ask about hiring a guy to train he said no i bet he regrets it some day.
Teddy has all the Brains and Good Looks, Tommy is still a Handsome Lad but just loves messing about with Diesel and Dirt, they will both do well in life due to the effort they both put in to living their life, if Tommy sticks that School thing I will be shocked, as he considers it time wasted when he could be out making a few ££££, Teddy will make headway and earn coins without a struggle as he has the Sparkle between his ears. tctractors
A lot of my life was wasted working silly hours just to get to the next job that was pushed my way, I have loved every moment to be honest and feel happy with the time I have had on this Earth, the chance to help young mechanic's along and get them involved in a job that I might be doing for their employer was something I always loved to do, there is plenty of nasty blunt and moaning old beggars to be found in workshops and job sites, I always try to make the day run sweet and thank anyone that has helped me even in a slight way, but as you pointed out the time to really make a mark for the future is in the middle bit not the end, so I have to bow my head in shame for not doing more when I possibly could of helped younger people. tctractors
Tc if only you were a wee bit closer haha. If you ever feel like relocating to the states let me know. I would be very interested in some tooling if and when you ever decide to hang it up. A lot of those sprocket/hub pullers are no longer available and finding used tooling is next to impossible. Glad to see you posting here again. Looking forward to seeing more of your endeavors.
Have a question. Is the pulling ram being used in this photo on the first page to pop the outer support off the dead axle taper?
Yep that is how you do it if you know your game, this looks to be a D6C or D, the outer hub has lugs on to fit a 2 section pull ring to it but it's a load of faffing about, I just pop them off like this as it's fast and safer, note the adapters in the sprocket are not tight to the hole you only do the nuts on them flush with the thread end, the adapter will damage if you do the nuts up tight, also always remove the lock tab from behind the big hub nut then re-fit the hub nut leaving a small gap 1/8 - 3/16" from the sprocket, the ram in the picture I bought new from Big Nozzi in Italy some years ago its a 105 ton cylinder, D6 and D7 tractors are as tough to pull the rim as a D8 often, a 74 ton cylinder will often be at it's limit and still need the Big Hammer to get a result. tctractors
For those of you that ask me about TC,he’s at his usual game and is fit and well. Although I don’t see much of him,he did swing by in September to open his flask and consume some fruit cake. Although he’s not in the picture,he was close enough to this D9R final drive seal as he wanted to be.
Tuesday I am stripping out a final drive on a D8H in the Big Workshop, I do hope this rain clears off, as I am by myself and it's going to be a tough task in this weather.
Yes,it’s been rough this last few weeks TC,but you seem to like it. I’ve been enjoying myself doing abit with an old 980H helping the fitters.Was missing a few bits like an engine etc. Had some drop box leaks on it,but it’s coming together now. Servicing D8 on Monday
I do Miss you Ron.
Well all the tricks of the final drive repair trade are coming out now. However I feel tctractors livelihood might be safe for the time being. After watching this video I learned a lot, I will give timestamps to save people the torture of watching the whole thing. Like at 31 min 30 sec in deliberately putting dirt on duo cone seals prior to installation, which I guess is fine when at 29 minutes in you do not use any gasket sealant between the final drive case and frame so you were not expecting to put any oil in it anyway. Also the sprocket pulling at 9min 23 sec in did not look that safe. What the hell was the point of those people doing repairs, just hopeless and useless.
Yea, stuff flying when the sprocket breaks loose. The lifting sling made with a worn out fan belt knotted together really showed me how much I've wasted on rigging.
Think of all the money we’ve been wasting on safety glasses.
The chap working the Lathe was a dab hand but the rest was a total bit of comedy, I don't think they pulled the sprocket off on the Tractor it was just bits of junk flying past there ears, no detail of how they pressed the sprocket back on or pressed home the hub bearings? I am currently doing a Final Drive on a D8 by myself without all that tapping and banging and bits of bent bars, here I am 68 and would have had it stripped and back together while they are still scratching their backsides, the dirt on the duo-cone seals I found very odd indeed, I would give that little dust rubbing chimp a clip on the ear, 1 of us is doing it wrong and it's not me, they have good Engineering skills so should be able to make some better tooling to tackle this type of repair, those tapped home bearings will soon show up as mashed gears as the D8K can soon find a weak spot.
Did they reuse that reduction gear?
little dust rubbing chimp a clip on the ear.. LMAO
I thought that funny too!!
Life seems to be very cheap for them and their lack of intelligence is all too apparent. Yet,some of their ingenuity is fantastic.