Okay, I've bitten the bullet, and ordered a new set of tracks and sprockets for my Case 550G. The current setup is CELT (Case Extended Life Tracks), but since the sprockets are worn out too, I've decided to go with SALT tracks, after-market. I ordered new sprockets, since CELT sprockets are different than standard, and have checked publications, and called the nearest Case dealer, and all other parts are supposed to work (those that aren't worn out and getting replaced). If anyone else has swapped CELT tracks and sprockets for SALT tracks and sprockets, if you encountered any "surprises" I might not have thought of, or "tips" you can offer, I'd appreciate it.
Because 200+ people looked at the original post, I'll update now. Sprockets got here Tuesday, tracks came in Wednesday, got one side done today, took longer than expected, but I was working alone. If the rain holds off, I'll get the other side done in the morning.
And now, the "best side" being replaced. (Well it looked better than the other one.) I noticed the left track was "loose" a week or so ago, but thought since I was about to replace it, why bother, I'm going to take the grease out of the adjuster anyway. So this morning, I opened the plug, and jumped on the track between the idler and the top roller, and almost zero grease came out. Okay, but the track was plenty loose, and when I took the plug all the way out, only a very small amount of grease came out, what the heck. Jacked up the dozer, took the track off, and replaced the sprocket. Easy, peasy. Went to make sure the idler was pulled far enough back to avoid having problems putting the new track on, (learned my lesson yesterday on the right side track). Idler won't move. Not forward, not backward, not even wiggle. What the heck? Disconnected the idler brackets from the adjuster yoke, and moved the adjuster back out of the way about 6 inches. Tried to move the idler forward, backward, and got nothing. Used a come-along, nothing. Whacked the end of the bracket with a small (16 lb) sledge, got about 3/4 of an inch of movement, in either direction. (When I start "adjusting" with a sledge hammer, you might think my frustration is reaching the top peg.) Seriously, though, I can only move the idler brackets an inch or two in either direction. I can't feel any obstructions (although the previous owner apparently removed the bolts that serve as "stops" on the front to "get a little more wear" out of those tracks), and the bolts that stop travel to the rear are a long way from the ends of the brackets. I can't figure out what the heck is going on here, although I'm suspecting that the track adjuster is shot, and may need at least rebuilding, I ought to be able to slide the idler back and forth, I tried lifting up on it as per the manual, nothing. I know it "used to move" at least enough to adjust the tracks I'm replacing, (although someone had already removed a link on this side in the CELT track), but I DID keep the tracks adjusted before they were completely gone and I just parked the dozer. Wonder if anyone has any idea what I'll find next? (After the thunderstorm going on now, and predicted to continue on and off until sometime tomorrow, I'm going to start taking things apart until I find the issue, or reach a point where I give up and replace more parts.)
just a shot in th dark` is it possible that po has driven some fitted wedges into the underside of the rails to take up some slop? stop bolt removed from front makes me think this
I felt around for stuff wedged in, or maybe a too large "home-made" wear plate, but couldn't find anything yesterday, but it's possible because without moving the idler, I can't really see or feel the underside of the frame. Another T-storm is coming through right now, and since I'm working on this dozer outside, I'll wait it out, and then I'm going to take the side covers off the idler brackets, see if I can work the shims and spacers out, and if that will give me enough room to move it off. If I get it loose, I'm looking at some more "rebuilding time" I guess. The part of the frame I can feel, seems okay, and I hope it's not messed up too bad, but I also see ordering more parts is in my near future!
To close out this one, I found that the bracket had been "field modified" to do away with the regular spacer and shims (guess to save someone $20 bucks in parts). I found that there were no shims, and the spacer plate was home-made, and the screws that (according to the shop manual,) hold the spacer and shims were extra long, and were binding against the top of the track frame. Backed them off about a turn, adjusted the track, worked fine. Tightened the screws back down, because the stop bolt is still missing. (I'll scrounge up a fastener of the right size later since I didn't have any short 3/4" bolts handy.) Oh, and the issue with the locked up idler brackets did get me to pull the track adjuster out of the recoil housing, and just as well, unless it was intentional, I dug at least two inches of mud out of the pocket where the end of the rod goes, really didn't have to back off much to get the tracks back on, and it adjusted them right out to specs. Anyway, the conversion to more standard type sprockets turned out to be easy, and the only problems I found were some changes that some previous owner made. Back to working order now.
glad it all worked out. what part of Lonestar you in?
Halfway between Houston and Austin. (...ish)
Are you the same Old Sarge as on the FAL board? James
Not me.