Just overhauled both chain cases on my Mustang 960 and am ready to fill with new oil. However, the specs specify to use the same high-dollar hydraulic fluid as in the hydraulic system. I'm sure the other machines are similar to the Mustang in that chain cases are totally independent of each other and the system. So what do you guys do? It's simply an oil bath for the chains and bearings in the case, isn't there a cheaper solution like regular oil I can get at the auto parts store for much cheaper? Can't believe with the relatively slow moving chains and bearings that a high grade hydro fluid is required?
One other thing I might add, I live at 10,000 feet in the rockies and the machine is used alot in the winter with an average temp of 10 to 15 degrees... Just wanted to add that in regards to viscosity...Thanks, your input is appreciated!
What I do on a major service is collect the used hyd oil in clean containers & then put used hyd oil in chain cases & new stuff in the hydraulics. We use 10w30 or 15w40 here - no doubt you use thinner oil due to cold weather - should be able to do same though.
Don't know anything about a Mustang, but I have a question. DOes it have clutches like an old 610 Bobcat, or is it hydraulic motors driving the chains? If it's clutches I'd use what they say.
No clutches, powered with a Vickers hyd pump on each side. Standard case internals...primary and sec chains with a cluster sprocket and accoiated bearings.
How much money are you actually saving by substituting oils? You could use almost any oil with an ISO designation of AW, and I wouldn't consider cutting motor oil with diesel either, bad ju-ju.
Standard 10w30 will work but as stated above if its close to hyd oil change use it in the chain case and install new hyd oil for the machine.
Thanks guys, ill empty the main hydr fluid into the cases and do a main fluild/filter change with the good stuff. I like that solution.
one other thing i would do is over fill your chain case. our dealer recomends 1/2 to 1 gal extra per side. we always ran 15-40 in them, but your bearings will last longer with more oil in the case. we ran our 960 for 8500hrs. with minimal repairs. i think they are a great machine!!
One slight hitch I can see and a reason for the higher dollar oil, is water problems, the high dollar oil has things in it to absorb water and keep them away from the bearings and not harm anything. As for using used hydraulic oil if I understand correctly, I'd avoid that as much as possilbe, there are contaminants in it and also moisture over use and chain cases don't generate heat to disperse water and any tiny aluminum particles from hydraulic oil can damage new bearings and sealsand hang around to do more damage later on. I guess I'd opt for new oil thats recommended to be there by the manufacturer, in the long run it might be cheaper to bite the bullet and just do it now rather than new seals and bearings again later. I always used to grumble every time I changed high dollar oil out until I wiped out the hydro system on one of my skid steers from water contamination and paid the bill and also the seal in the swing motor on my excavator because of water that froze and cut the seal and drained the swing motor on me. Now I gladly write the check for new good quality oil and put whats recommended back in every time. jwfarm, part of the reason why the bearings lasted longer with more oil is because the level was higher and covered them more and kept the seals in oil and there was more oil to dilute the contaminates out and as things ran it kept oil covering everything longer as the oil was sucked up on the chains and lowered the level in the cases. Done the same thing for years in chain cases on my skid steers no matter the brand I ran. We also changed the oil in the cases more often than normal as well after the first bearing failure, never had a second in all the years and hours of operateing since.
How did you do that? I have the 1" fill/level plug on the side. Can't get any more in.
if the fill plug is on the side i would raise that side of the machine up so you can get more in. or raise the front or back up. anything like that will allow you to add more oil. the other thing is to use a funnel that fits tight in the hole and quickly pull it out and replace plug. we too always use new 15-40 in our chain cases. the little bit extra the oil would cost would be well worth it to me.