Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Challenger logging trucks

Hayesno1 · 2010-09-18 02:54

Post your pictures and information of Canadien built Challenger truck.:canada

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies163
  1. #1Hayesno12010-09-18 02:57

    Some information re. Challenger truck. Challenger trucks were built by a guy named John Casanave from Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, during the late 1980s and early 1990s. John was a log truck driver working together with Coulsson. John thought he could build something better (in terms of maintenance at least) than the Hayes and Pacifics that had dominated the heavy-duty off-highway logging scene in Western Canada. As an example for easy maintenance John designed a ”rail” system so you could slide out the engine. I visited him in 2007 - great guy - he gave me a Challenger brochure where you can see examples of Johns ”easy maintenance features”. Unfortunately for John the Challenger was introduced at the wrong time as heavy-duty off-highway logging was all most gone as more and more trees were hauled by on-highway trucks and I think environmentalists were an issue as well. I have tried to make a complete breakdown of all the Challengers ever made. Sorry my list might not be 100% correct but I have tried to do my best - please correct or ad further information. At least 14 units have been built. The units are described in random order, except for unit 1, but the order should be pretty close to real production order. They are as follows: 1) Unit 1; 1986 Challenger owner John Casanave, PA, It was painted blue with a white stripe. He sold it after a few months to Bendickson Contractors Ltd. Where it got unit no.#8. In 2005 it was auctioned (RB) and went to South America / maybe Guatemala. Present status unknown but most likely still in operation! This summer I found it’s water tank on Vancouver Island, so truck must have had a new tank before leaving Canada or worse - truck is scrapped. 2) Unit 2 went to Bendickson Contractors Ltd. as well where it got unit no.#9. In 2005 it was auctioned (RB) and went to South America / maybe Guatemala. Present status unknown but most likely still in operation! This summer I found it’s water tank on Vancouver Island, so truck must have had a new tank before leaving Canada or worse - truck is scrapped.

  2. #2Hayesno12010-09-18 03:01

    3) Unit 3 went to Millstream where it got unit no.#H49. Later it was sold to Aliford and in 2005/2006 it was sold to Dane Developments where it got unit no. # D151. In 2009 it was auctioned (RB). Present status: Unknown. 4) Unit 4 went to Millstream where it got unit no.#H50. Later it was sold to Aliford and in 2005/2006 it was sold to Dane Developments where it got unit no. # D150. In 2009 it was auctioned (RB). Present status: Unknown. 5) Unit 5 from 1989 went to MacMillan & Bloedel, Sproat Lake Div. where it got unit no.#H159. It was sold to Mars Industries ca. 2002/03, where it got unit no. #A89. "89" indicates it was built in 1989. Present status unknown, but I don't think it has been scrapped. 6) Unit 6 went to MacMillan & Bloedel where it got unit no.#H160. It was a preloader. Unfortunately the driver was unlucky as it was wrecked twice before they scrapped it. 7) 1994 went to MacMillan & Bloedel, Sproat Lake Div. where it got unit no.#H165. It was sold to Mars Industries ca. 2002/03, where it got unit no. #A94. "94" indicates it was built in 1994. Around 2007/2008 it was sold to Dane Development. Present status: operational at DD in Port Alberni. 8) Unit went to Pacific Forest Products, where it got unit no.#H99. It was a preloader. PFP was bought by WFP and unit got no: #2172. Present status: operational at WFP. 9) Unit went to Pacific Forest Products, where it got unit no.#H98. It was a preloader. PFP was bought by WFP and unit got no: #2173. Present status: operational at WFP. 10) Unit went to Pacific Forest Products, where it got unit no.#H16. It was a preloader. PFP was bought by WFP and unit got no: #2185. Present status: operational at WFP. 11) Unit went to Millstream. Later it was sold to unknown contractor before it was sold to Dane Developments where it got unit no. # D154. Present status: operational at DD in PA. 12) Unit went to Line Creek. It was a huge mining truck. Wider and bigger than earlier Challenger trucks. Present status: Parked at mine and is in pretty poor condition. 13) Twin sister to unit 12 and it went to Line Creek as well. It was a huge mining truck. Wider and bigger than earlier Challenger trucks. Present status: Parked at mine and is in pretty poor condition. 14) Unit was built in Canada but sold to a contractor in Australia. Type of truck I am not sure but some kind of tractor pulling several dump trailers. Present status unknown." The company was sold to a Aussie guy but in 2007 John Casanave got ownership of company back. John told me that they might have been built one Challenger in Australia, so a unit 15 could exist?

  3. #3Hayesno12010-09-18 03:29

    Sorry about poor quality of brochure. I had to resize my scanned pictures to post them:beatsme

  4. #4Hayesno12010-11-13 02:20

    Pics of DD unit #H150 year 2006. Ex. Millstream #H50. Present staus/owner unknown. Photo credit PacificEd.

  5. #5PacificEd2010-11-14 21:16

    That truck had fresh paint when I took those pictures. It had a Mack V8 for power with a manual transmission (No Allison like most of the big trucks seem to have).

  6. #6hayeslogtruck2010-11-17 23:42

    H159 Hi pacificed H159 went to Franklin River div.new after it did its show tour, driver was Donnie Watt. was then sold to Mars. have some great pictures of this truck with some hugh fir loads once i can figure out how to post them?

  7. #7Hayesno12010-11-18 15:03

    Hayeslogtruck: I think you have to post comments 5 times before you can post pictures - looking forward to see your pics. Here are pics of MB #H159 and 2 pics of Mars #A94 ex. MB #H165

  8. #8Hayesno12010-11-19 16:44

    More pics of #A94 shot in summer 2007

  9. #9CM19952010-11-19 21:30

    You have to have 3 posts in order to post pics and send/receive PM's (it's to keep the spammers at bay ). BTW- I also look forward to seeing your pics and welcome to HEF hayeslogtruck !:drinkup

  10. #10hayeslogtruck2010-11-19 22:16

    Thanks for info hi hayesno1 you can tell challengers yr. by all 1980's trucks had bolt on sunvisors after 1990 sunvisor was built into roof just a continuation of roof skin. in first brochure John had was a picture of H159 at dryland sort with Donnie standing beside it. my dad drove h89 for Mars for 2 yrs till they shut down logging end of business. He drove H320 for M&B for27 yrs at Franklin div.

  11. #11Hayesno12010-11-20 00:56

    Hi hayeslogtruck; Welcome to HE and thanks for info re sunvisor roof. Your dad and I exchanged pictures some years ago. He told me that Mars unit numbers #A89 and #A94 indicated year of Challenger truck. As #A89 was built in 1989 and #A94 was built in 1994. I will have to scan brochure again (and better) and post it

  12. #12Hayesno12010-11-20 01:15

    Pics of Pacific Forest Products ex. unit #H98 with lowbed now operated by WFP as unit #2173.

  13. #13Hayesno12010-11-20 01:24

    Pacific Forest Product ex. unit no.#H16. It's a preloader. All 3 PFP Challengers were preloaders. Now WFP and unit has no: #2185. Pics were shot at WFP Gold River Div.

  14. #14hayeslogtruck2010-11-23 23:58

    how do i get pictures out of manage attachments to the posting?

  15. #15Hayesno12010-11-24 15:24

    Nice pics with great loads. I guees you have figured out how to post pictures

  16. #16Hayesno12010-11-24 15:34

    Pics of 3rd Challenger that went to Pacific Forest Products, where it got unit no.#H99. Present status: operational at WFP Gold River Div where it got WFP no: #2172.

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2010-11-24 16:27

    Great pictures Hayes Can you do a brief rundown of the pre loader vs standard arrangement for us who aren't as familiar with the logging business as you guys are? I am sure there are others wondering as well. I have figured out part of it, I think, but I would like to defer to the experts

  18. #18hayeslogtruck2010-11-24 21:41

    preloads they were first started so each truck had 2 trailers they will leave 1 in the landing to be loaded well the truck was taking a loaded trailer to the log dump. the truck can load the trailer without any assistance from a shovel or trailer lift which made for great diversification in manpower. the challengers lift system was almost exact design of the Hayes series they have a big ram on a half moon shaped piece down between the frame just in front of the main trunnion crossmember which lifts the trailer loaded or empty up about 6 to7 inch's then the side rams take over to life the 5th wheel assy. up which lock's into saddles on the rear of the water tank then the trailer is ready for transport. the rear wheels of the trailer ride up on the ramps on the rear of the truck. the front axle was moved forward on the Hayes's and the only other differance was the extra web on the outside of frame I beam which was extended forward under the water tank. in a nutshell.lol

  19. #19Contract Logger2010-11-24 22:06

    The truck has an 'elevating 5th wheel' of sorts. Truck bunk and trailer pintle-hitch are a unit with landing legs that can free-stand away from the truck. Designed so a pre-load set-up can be loaded on the landing without the hassle of having a truck and driver around. Here's a shot of a pre-loader with the king-pin visible under the truck-bunk.

  20. #20Contract Logger2010-11-24 22:08

    There's a video on youtube titled 'Pre load truck' that shows the whole works coming off the tractor to be loaded hot.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2010-11-25 02:12

    OK I was pretty close, but I have it now. Thanks. Seems like the main drawback is that these trailers do not track as well as the standard ones I found a couple of unloading videos too from the same poster on youtube.

  22. #22Contract Logger2010-11-25 02:35

    Here's a good view of the mechanism in the raised position- note the 5th wheel on top, above the cab guard..

  23. #23tyyota2010-11-28 21:01

    WFP - Gold River McLean Mill Show - Port Alberni

  24. #24Hayesno12011-01-30 13:44

    Last summer I found these 2 water tanks from Bendickson Contractors Ltd. unit #8 and "9. It's bit weird as I was told both trucks went to South America after they were auctioned in 2005. Can any ad some info?

  25. #25TorkelH2011-01-31 12:00

    DD Challenger #154 Here is one single picture of Dane Development's Challenger 154. Have a couple of more pics from the same location, I will post later.

  26. #26Hayesno12011-02-09 13:48

    WFP #2172 preloader

  27. #27HDX2011-02-09 23:05

    Hayesno1 you just cut off the front part of a Hayes HD wide-rad

  28. #28log big2011-05-19 13:43

    cool challenger trucks how much can thay handel my favret trucks.

  29. #29Choker man2011-05-20 10:23

    Seems kinda of funny to have the "licence plates" on an " off highway" truck, also remember that Eurocan had licence plates on trucks just to cross the highway. Wonder if any of these trucks get ticketed for overloads.

  30. #30tyyota2011-05-21 12:31

    In Gold River BC the only road to the beach (the sort) is the paved highway. These truck operate with regular traffic on that stretch (about 10 kms).

  31. #31SPMiller2011-06-06 03:12

    Any vehicle on crown land has to be insured for 200,000 liability minimum these days. Depending on the vehicle plates are a must.

  32. #32Hayesno12011-06-07 15:58

    Here some pics of Challinger loading its preloadtrailer and heading out on the highway and heading back for another load. You can see wet tracks at pavement from cooling brakes with water (pic 2 and 3)

  33. #33TorkelH2011-06-08 17:56

    Dd154 Some more pictures of Dane Development's 154

  34. #34Hayesno12011-06-09 10:55

    TorkelH; She looks much nicer in DD paint scheme, compare to 2007 when I saw her waiting for service as trailer had a flat tire. It still had the old Millstream color scheme but had got #D154.

  35. #35Hallback2011-06-09 11:41

    Wrappers look a lil loose.......

  36. #36TorkelH2011-06-09 14:47

    Must loose them to change tire, you know...

  37. #37PacificEd2011-06-11 21:37

    Has anyone seen the new Premay PM116 Challenger tri-drive? You can see two pictures on Hank's Truck Pictures on page 40 of Wes Bergman's album. I wonder if it is an ex-Dane Developments units?

  38. #38Hayesno12011-06-12 03:44

    I am pretty sure it is one the old DD units #D150 or D151. Bumper will tell which unit it is!

  39. #39Hayesno12011-06-13 14:51

    Premay PM116 must be old DD #D150. Take a look at bumper and compare with picture at Hanks truck web site

  40. #40log big2011-06-13 17:45

    how is a challenger truck

  41. #41log big2011-08-29 12:07

    i would driver a challenger truck if i had 1

  42. #42swifter_12011-09-03 10:28

    I think Premay has 2 tridrives.I'll try getting a picture next time there in the laydown yard. One's at Aurora and I think they are putting one at Mildred Lake.

  43. #43skadill2011-09-03 21:02

    Premay Tridrive These were sent to me,I dont "borrow" photos from other sites.Taken a few months ago

  44. #44jackd2011-09-03 22:32

    Hope You Don't Mind.... Hope I'm not offending you by taking pics from other sites. What I'm finding on other sites and posting here are photos taken by other avid motorcyclists who are combing over the back roads of northern Vancouver Island - with camera in hand. Some of these individuals are migrating over to this site to view the extensive photographic collection that has been displayed to this point - they are enjoying what we have displayed immensely. They have gladly given their permission to me to post these photos and I have stated that I will refer any creative credits to them, which I have. More photos are being discovered daily and I will intersperse them with my own - it keeps the flow of this forum moving over these slow summer months. So please enjoy what I have to offer. Thanks for all these recent posting of Challenger trucks - there weren't enough pictures of those fine Port Alberni built trucks taken for my liking.

  45. #45log big2011-09-04 13:23

    nice challenger maybe this truck will rule the logging roads

  46. #46Hayesno12012-04-01 03:51

    Dane Development Challenger truck comming out of the dust(summer 2007). Not the best pictures, but for sure says why you allways shall have lights turned on when driving on logging roads.

  47. #47log big2012-08-17 01:19

    any than new on challenger trucks? keep me up-to-date

  48. #48GoldRiverHD2012-08-17 16:57

    Western Forest Products unit #2172 was shipped from Gold River to Port Albernie for a rebuild. I'll get some pictures of it when we get it back.

  49. #49HDX2012-08-17 18:26

    GoldRiverHD Are you sure???? How many went out for rebuilds??? There is one down in the IPL Chemainus Shop getting repowered Is that the one ?

  50. #50log big2012-08-17 20:47

    thanks i love off road logging trucks maybe i will see 1 some day

  51. #51GoldRiverHD2012-08-17 21:08

    My chargehand told me Franklin River, he could be wrong. It had a bottom end failure a few months back, so they are going to throw a Series 60 in it now.

  52. #52HDX2012-08-17 23:53

    GoldRiverHD She is down in the Chemainus Shop yard Saw her yesterday when we went down that way on a mission and swung by to see what artifacts were around and there she is I sure wish she was at the Franklin Shop but there is only a concrete slab where once stood one of the best M&B shops on earth I guess we can all say we had the best M&B Shop and so be it We were all proud of what once was. You guys lucked out cause the guy down there is top drawer and VERY GOOD at what he does Old 2172 is in good hands

  53. #53jackd2012-08-18 00:29

    Where be the Chemainus shops? I live here now and am just starting to figure out where things are.

  54. #54Hayesno12012-08-18 10:03

    Here is #2172 parked this summer in Gold River before going to Chemainus Shop yard. And a pic how Franklin looks like today. Nothing - well except from my son.. LOL..

  55. #55GoldRiverHD2012-08-18 16:11

    Hah, when were you down in our yard? Thats 2172 waiting for the lowbed.

  56. #56HDX2012-08-18 20:12

    jackd Smiley Road Just turn off the highway onto the old copper canyon mainline heading for the bush It is the old M&B Copper Canyon Shop that Leroys bought and took down and then rebuilt and reconfigured and moved it down to its present location One side is on SmileyRoad and the other is on the old mainline

  57. #57Queenslander2012-08-18 20:56

    Aussie Challenger? This truck has been advertised here in Aus. for a while now. Could it be a descendand of the forestry trucks? Could be a good deal if you had the need for such a thing. Cheers, Greg

  58. #58log big2012-08-19 01:10

    i would try it if it works 125 tons cat motor take 1 to BC For a week

  59. #59Hayesno12012-08-19 03:31

    GoldRiverHD; I was there in beginning of July.

  60. #60jackd2012-08-19 10:23

    I've been by that shop on the way out to the Copper Canyon mainline on my motorbike - I didn't know what it was. Great to be back in an area where it's easy to get to gravel quickly, unlike Vancouver. I'll have to poke my head in there with the camera - I'll post some shots when I get them.

  61. #61GoldRiverHD2012-09-27 04:23

    Well, 2172 came back into the yard this week. The change from Pacific blue to Western yellow and green is quite the change. Camera isnt working right now but in a few weeks I should have some pictures. Truck looks pretty nice, rebuilt engine and transmission.

  62. #62log big2013-03-28 12:43

    any new pictures?

  63. #63GoldRiverHD2013-03-29 19:37

    2185 in the shop getting a new transmission.

  64. #64GoldRiverHD2013-03-29 19:39

    2172 a little worse for wear after the rebuild. Still looks decent.

  65. #65HDX2013-03-29 21:18

    GoldRiverHD What is the story on the HDX in the background with no engine??? Is she getting rebuilt? Any boneyard pictures? Thanks for posting the Challanger pics

  66. #66GoldRiverHD2013-03-29 21:28

    That would be 2181, she had an engine failure back when times were hard and money was scarce. The original plan was to put a new engine in but in order to keep the other trucks running we had to part her out. Ill take some pictures next week.

  67. #67HDX2013-03-29 22:07

    Thanks a million

  68. #68Hayesno12013-04-10 15:43

    Challenger truck - think this was Millstream truck - before it was auctioned/sold to Coulsson. sn#0101-88002 withMack V8 engine and 14 ft bunks

  69. #69glenlunberg2013-10-09 21:36

    Nice logging trucks here. I'm not familiar with those trucks but I think they're very helpful on logging industry.

  70. #70camptramp2013-10-17 16:43

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Rex Weaver checking over Challenger Logging Truck on top of Tr. 11 Challenger was at Renfrew as a demonstrator

  71. #71dmills14192013-10-26 23:45

    Truck Being Assembled At John Casnaves Shop

  72. #72camptramp2013-10-27 00:37

    BCFP Renfrew Div. A Challenger trurck was brought to Renfrew Div. in the mid 1980'sfor demonstration purposes

  73. #73WillB2014-01-23 19:27

    Such a shame these are not being built anymore. Thanks for sharing.

  74. #74diamondtguy2014-05-19 12:54

    I was told last week that John has bought back a couple of trucks to rebuild.Possibly the two mine trucks.I got the info from a good source but that's all the info I got....I hope its true ......Cory

  75. #75Hank R2014-05-31 20:31

    When I was in Gold River beginning of May this Challenger just backed out from a service I think. I was told that the Hayes parked beside it is for parts not going on the road again.

  76. #76GoldRiverHD2014-05-31 20:59

    Not sure if we are parting out 2187 or not, as it was now we aren't supposed to be taking any parts off the truck. The engine on the other hand is feeding the rest of our 71s.

  77. #77HDX2014-05-31 21:33

    GoldRiverHD Keep us posted as to her condition OK. Glad that they are just sitting on it for now and not parting her out PM me if things start to change OK Thank You

  78. #78Hank R2014-05-31 21:48

    I most likely miss understood the one driver I was talking to. I guess I better have my listening ears cleaned and on.:beatsme

  79. #79Hayesno12014-07-27 15:21

    Challenger with lowbed summer 2014; WFP Gold River Div.

  80. #80Greatwestcam2014-08-01 00:43

    Sister's 12 & 13 Here are the BIG coal hauler that were built. look like they were just parked at the end of their shift.

  81. #81Greatwestcam2014-08-01 00:55

    some more

  82. #82Hank R2014-08-01 07:57

    Great find, I heard that they were for sale and have been bought. These two truck are going to be rebuilt and then will be used as low bed trucks in Northern Alberta in the Tar Sands. Cam Rizzie did a story on Challenger trucks which I put on Hanks Truck pictures for him. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/cam_rizzie_challenger.htm I heard that they may be rebuilt on the Island where they first started out.

  83. #83HD Mech2014-08-01 11:50

    Wow those are huge! The cab looks so small. I assume the engine is a 12V92TTA?

  84. #84Hank R2014-08-01 12:34

    The engine is a 8V149-T1 rated at 900 hp. With Allison 8000 Series Trans, Rockwell SPRC 4806 Panetaries at 180,000 lbs and 75 yard coal boxes.

  85. #85HD Mech2014-08-01 22:05

    Now I see the four exhaust ports. Thought it didn't look long enough, thanks for the info.

  86. #86Hank R2014-08-01 22:12

    These photo's are not mine. Cam sent to me to post on this forum as well as another. Inside Cab of one of the Line Creek trucks.

  87. #87Hank R2014-08-02 08:53
  88. #88ben46a2014-08-02 17:54

    Holy crap! I wonder what size rubber they run on those? I'd love to have one of those beasts!

  89. #89Hank R2014-08-02 19:08

    I am fairly sure they are 1800 R - 25.

  90. #90Hank R2014-08-04 08:52

    This is all I have for Challenger specs.

  91. #91Hank R2014-08-23 09:15

    Mike Beesley send me these pictures in 1998 or 99.

  92. #92Hank R2014-09-25 11:57

    Found 2 more Challenger pictures from. 2010, and they were where in a album where they should not of been so I do not know about this truck. This one is from a Ritchie Auction 2010.

  93. #93Hayesno12014-09-27 04:08

    Sorry Hank, I took that picture of M&B Unit #H159 way back in 2000. See post #8 on this thread. I am not sure from who you got the picture but I might have an idea...

  94. #94Birwyn2014-10-29 09:47

    Had a conversation with the guy who built these things this morning as the local McDonalds was late opening so he came to where I work for coffee and since business was fairly dead we got into a rather lengthy talk. John still owns the property where he and 4 other guys built these trucks and still has the equipment. Despite him being a claimed 74 years old he said he could start building a new truck tomorrow and frankly I believe him. He also mentioned he was or had bought back two of his trucks, if he's ever in again I will have to get his address and arrange a chance to visit his place to get you guys some pictures. He seemed to be keeping tabs on many of his trucks, he mentioned a few he knew for sure were still in operation although that might just be the ones that stayed in town.

  95. #95Blk prince2014-10-29 16:17

    Welcome,good to hear John still full of P and V. Lol

  96. #96Birwyn2014-11-02 09:19

    Bit of an update. He was in again this morning due to a daylight savings time fail. We talked again and I got his phone number and permission to arrange a tour of his shops this spring to get pictures and such. Sadly couldn't discuss much since I was still on the clock and had no desire to have to justify being paid for a half hour chat to my boss.

  97. #97farmIT2014-12-11 10:39

    I Would love to see a out fit like Mullen or others buy a run of these trucks for winch truck duties or heavy push/pull trucks might start a trend and get some more Canadian trucks on the road! Maybe not with oil at 60 buck but When it was high I am a little confused they were not big in the patch in ALBERTA.

  98. #98Hank R2015-03-24 22:58

    I received my March / April Wheels of Time today and Cam Rizzie has a excellent story about the Challenger trucks. Very well written.

  99. #99RCP572015-03-27 18:07

    Where does one find that Hank? I would be interested to read it... Guess I should email Cam about it?lol

  100. #100Hank R2015-03-27 18:49

    I have a phone # if you wanted to buy the one issue 816 891-9900. Cam might let you take a look at his. When I did my Pacific story they send me a few extra one and I sold to friends.

  101. #101PacificEd2015-04-28 21:35

    I picked up a copy of the Wheels Of Time magazine today. I enjoyed seeing many new pictures I have not seen before. Cam did a great job on the article. I had the chance to take pictures of the Challengers in Gold River back in '06. We even met the lowbed on the road to Woss. That was a great trip.

  102. #102TorkelH2015-04-29 03:21

    Go for a ride in H160: https://youtu.be/ktzCIYcf1bE

  103. #103PacificEd2015-04-30 22:36

    Great video! What ever happened to H160? Did it become one of the Mars Contracting trucks? Wasn't there also a H159 in MB's fleet?

  104. #104CaptainAnalyzer2015-05-04 08:49

    Great video! Thanks for posting!

  105. #105camptramp2015-11-09 00:21

    Gordy I. (Ike Isacson) Not sure where this picture of Challenger Trucks was take , could be Honeymoon Bay Dryland Sort . I vaguely remember Timberwest leasing 2 Challenger trucks off somebody , they weren't new and they needed a lot of work .

  106. #106Hayesno12015-11-09 17:52

    Al; these are Aliford Bay unit #H49 and #H50

  107. #107camptramp2015-11-09 22:14

    Right you are Kim , good to hear from you . Hard to believe it been over 15 years since that picture was taken , I was still driving #40-96 a P16 preloader when those two trucks showed up at HBO , I think Vern Gray took one out for a load , but I don't think anyone else got one pasted the shop LOL . I went on a highway Western Star Tri-drive early 2001

  108. #108Hayesno12015-11-12 16:08

    Thanks, and good to hear from you as well. Thank you Al for scanning and posting all these awsome pictures at different threads. I really appriciate all your efforts. I know it takes quite a time to do that. As well, thank you to those people WHO are borrowing their pictures to you, so we can't wait to view your updated threads every morning. A few pics WFP Challenger with lowbed and a Challenger preload log trailer(Summer 2014)

  109. #109camptramp2016-03-30 22:54

    Boulder Bill 1990 Challenger , Canadian Pacific , Gold River Div.

  110. #110diamondtguy2016-03-30 23:41

    I have yet to actually see one of these trucks.Hopefully next time I am on the Island I can make arrangements to go have a look at one.

  111. #111Paystar2016-03-31 08:50

    Anyone have pics of, or know how many were built with the Mack E-9 V8 engines?

  112. #1120752016-11-25 23:05

    Just a bit of an update 2173 has been transferred to Juene Landing, to be used for carrying our 40 ton weight around between Thurborn dump and Mahatta dump. The weight is used to check the accuracy of the load cell once a month . So no more hauling logs for this old girl, nice cushy retirement job for her

  113. #113camptramp2016-12-22 00:16

    Boulder Bill .

  114. #11492U 34062017-01-03 17:02

    These 2 belong to Premay. Spotted them during the Fort Mac evac.

  115. #115camptramp2017-02-16 23:01

    Boulder Bill .

  116. #116camptramp2017-03-02 23:01

    Boulder Bill .

  117. #117diamondtguy2017-03-03 22:34

    Good looking truck...you can sure see the influence of the other brands in it

  118. #118camptramp2017-04-22 00:13

    Boulder Bill .

  119. #119clarkat2017-05-22 11:32

    I was over at John's shop and the rebuilds are looking good;cabs are painted ;new hd aluminum hoods and fenders;drivelines are being serviced.Look forward to seeing them outside again.

  120. #120lowbedlouis2018-03-21 00:06
  121. #121lowbedlouis2018-03-21 00:11

    Just an update to the update 2173 did not go to Jeune landing it got a $150,000 into its 121 tear ends new wheels and some minor repairs. She hauled short wood in McNeill for a short time and now I drive her lowbedding in Holberg for Western. Still a solid ride and still pacific blue I’ll post pictures when I get my 3 texts in.

  122. #122diamondtguy2018-03-21 01:32

    Welcome to the forum......Look forward to your pictures and some driver reports.....

  123. #1230752018-03-24 19:33

    You will get use to the Blue paint after awhile I did on the Snorkel from Gold River

  124. #124Blk prince2018-03-24 20:47

    O75, took us quite awhile to get used to red and white and orange. So many years of yellow and black.

  125. #125lowbedlouis2018-04-08 02:07

    Here is some pics of 2173 challenger or #8 working in Holberg she’s pulling her weight love this rig

  126. #126lowbedlouis2018-04-08 02:10

    The picture of the two challengers together when they were brand new mine is #8 on the right

  127. #127John Shipp2018-04-08 04:39

    LowbedLouis, great pictures, those trucks sure were built strong. In the picture with the Deere roadbuilder on lowbed, can you tell me what the material is that's fixed to the ramp. Looks like something fibre.

  128. #128lowbedlouis2018-04-08 13:08

    That bed has 4”planking on it all chewed up master mechanic wanted to try it out but in 2 months it was done. So now we’re going to steel deck it and put large grousers on it like our big bed .Ramp is too steep for wood just gets torn up

  129. #129Islandlogger12122019-06-09 11:10

    Alpine backhoe from Campbell River has purchased one of these trucks. And is turning it into a super sow truck. It will get a flat deck and long ramps. Should pack a 370 size log loader no problem.

  130. #130Hayesno12019-08-17 04:10

    One of the 2 dump trucks are göttingen prepared for going to the North AS a prime mover

  131. #131trux2019-08-19 18:39

    Can not wait to see this truck completed! Gonna be one big ol sow!!!!!

  132. #132Hayesno12019-08-20 18:10

    Out of shop

  133. #133diamondtguy2021-12-05 23:22

    You tube video i found..I believe there was actually 14 trucks made (??)

  134. #134Hayesno12022-07-09 03:09

    Challenger for sale

  135. #135camptramp2022-10-24 22:06

    BCFP Renfrew Div. long time Renfrew driver Rex Weaver took this Challenger for a test drive early 1980's . Loaded on top of TR. 11

  136. #136camptramp2022-12-27 00:26

    Ed Isacson Photo's A couple of Challenger Log Trucks owned Alliford Bay Logging leased to Timberwest H.B.O. Div.

  137. #137skadill2022-12-27 00:32
  138. #138skadill2022-12-28 22:30
  139. #139camptramp2023-02-12 23:38

    Pat MacMillen Photo

  140. #140skadill2023-02-13 02:08
  141. #141camptramp2023-02-14 00:04

    Pat M acMillen Photo's

  142. #142skadill2023-02-14 02:03
  143. #143Hayesno12023-02-14 14:40

    Ex Mars #A94

  144. #144skadill2023-03-19 22:12
  145. #145Hank R2023-06-12 18:40

    Gran son was in Cambell River going for his DL so his dad had him drive the industrial part of town before his test he is 6ft 1 in tall

  146. #146Hank R2023-06-12 18:41
  147. #147PacificEd2023-06-14 22:47

    I thought that truck was recently sold and converted into a sow (equipment hauler). Now it’s already for sale again?

  148. #148SamOlund2024-02-02 03:47

    Found this in my garage. Smells exactly like old logging equipment

  149. #149diamondtguy2025-01-12 00:43

    I recently heard that John is building another truck. Can anyone add or comment to this...

  150. #150Welder Dave2025-01-12 01:36

    How did Challengers compare to Pacific and Hayes biggest trucks?

  151. #151dsbc2025-05-11 18:25

    Hi, I'm in the process of putting together a short YouTube video about Challenger Trucks, and wondering if it's ok to use some of the photos in this forum ... for the YouTube video? Thanks Dave

  152. #152dsbc2025-05-22 16:35

    Challenger Trucks video is available on YouTube now:

  153. #153Hank R2025-05-22 18:28

    Sorry I did not get back to you but you are welcome to use any of my pictures. Hank

  154. #154dsbc2025-05-22 18:34

    Thanks Hank, much appreciated

  155. #155dsbc2025-08-21 17:30
  156. #156diamondtguy2025-08-21 20:29

    Never thought to post this on the Challenger Thread as well. A new Challenger and my Grizzly when new. No idea where i got the picture.

  157. #157Welder Dave2025-08-21 23:28

    How did Challengers compare to the biggest Pacific's and Hayes?

  158. #158dsbc2026-04-04 21:07

    Here is a video I did recently of a Challenger preload truck:

  159. #159HD Mech2026-04-05 20:25

    Just watched that a couple of days ago. Very good video. I think those 2 trucks originally had Detroit Diesel12V71TTA engines.

  160. #160dsbc2026-04-07 12:19

    Thanks for your comment about the video, and thanks for info about the original engines.

  161. #161dsbc2026-06-06 11:18

    Here is a Challenger truck video I did May 2026. Two preload trucks are back on Vancouver Island ... now owned by River City Logging.

  162. #162camptramp2026-06-08 23:25

    Good one dsbc brings back some fond memories . Nice to see there are still some of though's old bone shakers are still hauling logs . With that "Preload trailer Reach" sticking out the back end , one always had to be aware that it was there , or some embarrassing situations could be created .

  163. #163Ali.ALMansoori2026-06-09 23:18

    Hi dose any one know where can I find pacific trucks with Clark 121 axles, I’m looking for two trucks to buy or complete axles part only. [email protected]