As like The Challenger logging truck Thread I think we should keep track of the Mack CL 350 ST logging trucks. They are part of BC logging industry so post pictures and information re. those mighty trucks. According to Mack production records only 27 were built (production period 1976-1979). They were built at the Oakville Plant in Ontario. First truck went to MacMillan Bloedel Menzies Bay Div. in early spring 1977. I have not been able to gather any information re. serial numbers. Of the 27 units built M&B got 13; 12 went to Menzie Bay Div.(unit #H435 to #H446) and 1 went to their Copper Canyon Div. Husby got 7 unit in 1978 and 1979. Irwing Olson, Campbell River got 2. They were later sold to Clyak (unit #7 and #8). Thompson, Campbell River got one. Heinz and Mike Chapmann, Campbell River got 2 Ted Routh got 1 I don’t know who got the last from new. I have been informed by some that only 26 were built. They might be right. Most of the Mack trucks are still going strong. I think BenWest logging has 6(most of them old M&B units). Olympic Forest Products got 3(at least 2 of them are old MB - unit #H441 and H444). I don’t know how many Husby has in operation at present time - a few years ago they still had 5. There is a local contractor in Holberg that has one - ex. Ted Routh then Butch Carroll truck #11. MB #H443 is still operating for WFP. Clyak #8 is parked/all most scrapped. Thompson still got 1. At least 2 have been scrapped (M&B unit #H437 and #H438) and 2 have wrecked
Pix 1&2: Old MB #H443 now running for WFP. Pix 3 shows Thompsons Mack. Pix 4&5: Clyak #8 in very poor condition. All pictures were shot at Vancouver Island this summer.
Here are a few pix I got from Don Bendickson(BenWest Logging) He added following information. "BenWest run 6 CL350, 4 are former M&B Menzies trucks and 2 were acquired from a company BenWest purchased. Although the basic trucks are the same with frame, axles, 6061 Allison transmission, and basic body parts such as hood and fenders. Engines vary 2 with V-12 Detroit, 2 with series 60 Detroit, 1 with KT600 Cummins, 1 with MTU/Detroit 8V-2000 Cabs vary with 3 original Mack, 2 Challenger, 1 Pacific" I am pretty sure all 3 Mack with original cab got Pacific(IHC) doors. Pictures of old red/white M&B trucks got Challenger cabs. The yellow with green hood has the original cab but doors has been replaced with Pacific(IHC) doors. This truck might be one of Portmann's.:beatsme
More pix from Don Bendickson(BenWest Logging)
In the beginning there were many problems with the Mack CL350. One of the issues was the cab even though the cab unit was not unique to the CL350, as it was Mack's cab unit used on many of Mack’s M-series off highway dump trucks. Cabs were breaking up due to severe service and doors fly open when driving. So Menzies Bay changed the design of the cabs and fenders, replacing the original doors with Pacific(IHC) ones. They also separated the fenders and hood from the cab, mounting them directly to the frame. Later some of them got Pacific or Challenger cabs. Posted below is showing the different types of cabs. Picture 1 shows the original cab. Picture 2 shows original cab with Pacific doors and little window in door has been modified. 3rd. Picture shows a Mack with Pacific cab and 4th shows Mack with Challenger cab. It is curious, I have never seen any M-series dump trucks with new or changed cab.
Magic pics.
Thanks Lancef, here are a few pics of old MB #H438 converted to sander truck. Pics shot in july 2005. Year later she was scrapped It got Weyco logo on doors but the last few years I think Olson, CR had it.
More pics of H438 cab when scrapped. Cab got Pacific doors.
Pics of Clyaks unit #7. Does anyone know what happened to her? My friend Ed shot pics when she was for sale at Tom Turners place summer 2006.
Kim, The cab pictures of unit H438 were taken at Saratoga Ventures in Campbell River. Also look at some of the first pictures on the disc that were taken at Tom's place. There are pictures of a radiator and Pacific cab. Those were from a Mack CL-350. You had taken pictures of it still partially together in 2005. If you look at the firewall you can see the shape of the Mack hood.
Hi Ed, I know pics were taken at Saratoga. I remember picture of rad. It is from H437. I will post more but it takes time as I have to resize all pictures.
WFP CL350 - Sayward Clyak CL350 - Campbell River Thompson Trucking CL350 - Gold River
The CL350 that was at Tom's place in 2006 (Ex-Irvin Olsen Truck) ended up around Holberg, a year or two later. I can't remember who was running it. It was still hauling up there in the summer of 09.
More pictures of ex. Irvin CL350 parked at Tom Turners place summer 2006. Last time I was in Holberg(summer 2007) I only saw ex Butch Carrolls blue CL350ST. It still had the original cab. Since truck has got a "new" Pacific cab. See pic of her at Vancouver Island Thread with Pacific cab
Crap - I am getting old . Last time I was in Holberg was in summer 2005. Pics show ex Butch Carrolls CL350
Crap - I am getting old . Last time I was in Holberg was in summer 2005. Pics show ex Butch Carrolls CL350
Poor old truck is looking a little rough! Butch got this one from Ted Routh when he bought him out, also got 3 Hayes's and 3 Pacific P16 at the time. Got to say that those Mack diffs were way stronger then the Clarks, I was around this truck for close to 10 years and never had a diff out of it! Wounder if this unit is still around? here it is when it was 3 years new.
Pic of #H443. Now operated by WFP. Ex. Cascadia, exex Weyco, exexex M&B #H443. M&B was original owner. They had 13 Mack CL350. Original cab has been replaced with new Pacific cab
Three ex M&B Macks, now owned by Olympic Forest Products. At least one of them appears to be broken.
Elaho Logging Yard - Mack CL350 H-439 I was out on the motorbike yesterday enjoying one of the few nice warm days - good day to go to Squamish. I spied this machine in their yard, almost obliterated by the growing alders. As I said in the M & B thread, the water tank from H-443 (number hard to read) was laying separately in behind this unit.
Hi..I spent years riding my dirtbikes in squamish exploring (I still ride).What area is this in...... Cory (Pacific Truck 1977-1987)
Right by the Shell station on the highway.
Be Respectful I actually stopped along the bush next to the highway to take a leak - motorcycle vibration causes that. I can only ask that if you go there, be respectful of the property and the equipment there. Ask anyone, if they're around if they don't mind you on their digs. Over by the Railway Museum is an adjoining property with an old Madill yarder parked in the back. I managed to talk to the guy who seems to own the place - we were both stuck in the car line waiting for the CN Rail crossing arms to raise. I mentioned the Madill in the back of his place and he immediately became guarded and so I knew better than to irritate the man further. I let that one pass for a photo shot. If anyone knows of anything else in the Squamish area - other equipment yards, please pass it on.
That would be why I never saw it..My bikes dont have plates so I was never to close to any blacktop..I just got a DRZ that I can plate so I can do a little more exploring .Have been up through Squamish Valley.. Cory..(Pacific Truck 77-87 )
I visited the wreck of a Supermarine Stranraer up the Squamish valley many years ago - it crashed while on a training flight from Jericho Beach back in '42, but I've done little else beyond the immediate village. The place is growing and de-industrializing like mad. I'm sure there are other places near at hand in the area. Squamish is an easy one for me to go to on my GS Enduro. I hope to get over to the Island to check out the backroads this summer. The Woods Foremen don't seem to mind when they see me riding this thing in active areas - especially when I explain to them that I worked in the woods 30 years ago.
I didnt no MACk had a off road logging truck wen did thay start
log big; some info at post 1 at this thread. Here some pics of a Husby CL350 ST truck. Jackd; look at water tanks "window" - it is round. I think this is the original water tank. Water tank at H443 at present time got a square "window", so I think tank in Squamish is the old H443
Gold River - May 2011 I have another hobby besides this - motorcycles - and one another forum a member took some shots of a recent ride they took to the Gold River area. He gave me permission to post the photo here. Maybe you guys can identify which truck this is and which company it works for.
Possibly a machine from Thompson Trucking? How many of these do they have and were they from M & B originally?
jackd; It is Thompson Trucking CL 350 ST Mack truck. I think they only got this one. I am not sure if Thompson Trucking got it from new. Most CL350 if not all were sold in Campbell River area. Here a few shots of Thompson Truckings CL350 I took last summer at Beaver Cove.
Hayesno1 Remember there was one bought new by M&B for Copper Canyon but it was later transferred to Menzies Bay Division only because their fleet was all Macks Funny but I cant remember its number It will come to me in the middle of the nite for sure
HDX; Yes the missing "13" of M&Bs CL350 trucks. I have never seen her or any pics of her. Hope you get your sleep.. LOL
Cyaks CL350 unit #8. This truck is all most scrapped at present time. Unit #7 should still be in operation. Please does anyone know wheelbase of CL350s? I am building a model of it at present time. I have taken some measurements, but forgot to measure the wb. I made my own drawings for the model
Hayesno1 The Copper Canyon truck was something like H51 or something that ended with 51 Maybe somebody from around will remember
Green Gold News Here is a scan from an IWA news paper in April 1991 of one of Husby's Macks.
As Promised. I've been dealing with some maintenance issues with the old motorbike and finally got a chance to revisit the Elaho yard in Squamish. As promised I struggled through the brambles and alders and took some shots of the old water tank that was behind the old Mack that I photographed earlier. I'm now not so certain that this is the old tank from H443 - might be the tank from H442 instead. That final letter is either a 2 or a 3 - you guys tell me what you know on this unit. Someones been under the hood of the H439 playing around since I was last there - I took the time to close the hood. Squamish is changing quickly - there are now subdivisions springing up way out in the boonies where there used to be maintenance yards.
jackd; This must be the tank from H443 as H442 had rounded thin rails at top of headdache rack - all most like a highway logging truck
You mentioned previously that there were changes in the tanks over time. All that really sticks out at me is the cradle for the reach at the top. That and the square window.
Cradle Cradle jackd What is this "Cradle stuff" Alec S would give you what for!!!!! It is a saddle
Cut me some slack.... It's been more than 30 years! At least I got the name 'reach' right. Please don't tell Alec S my shortcomings but do give him a hello from me. As an aside. I was back in Port Alberni recently visiting someone in WCGH, walking the grounds around the facility. My Brother (another ex-Sproat Lake logger) started to chat with the security guy - who happened to be another ex-Sproat guy from the grade. The guard mentioned that he saw many of the old guys as they came to get their needed medical care. Unfortunately many of them don't leave via the front door, he said. Some were living in extended care. Yup we're all getting old.
Something's Up. I was up in the Squamish area again and poked my nose into the Elaho yard as I passed. They've hacked down all the brush right around the Mack and the water tank. My guess is that these old gals are headed off to the scrap yard. They had two Madill pipes pulled out as well.
jackd That old Mack would make a GREAT "Gate Guard" Dont get me wrong no im not getting soft but after all they were part of the great BC logging historical picture and deserve more than a cutting torch Maybe drag her down to the Fair Grounds and set her up with a trailer on her back. Look at all the logging history in and around Squamish and see whats left We were in one of the scrapyards over there some years ago and there was the old J85 from Franklin getting cut up I went over and looked around the front of the machine and on the sides and was totally caught off guard by the amount of names and dates scratched into her. All those old machines were museums in their own right God I saw names of guys I hadnt seen or even thought of for too many years Do the right thing and save the old Mack She earned it
Wish I Could... It's pretty hard to drag an old Mack behind a motorbike - but I would if I could. Squamish is changing like you wouldn't believe. I took off up an old logging road to go sit up beside a river that runs along side it. Thought I was out in the middle of nowhere - just me and the bush a few miles east of the town centre. I never had thought to look over the bank to see what was there and today I did. Lo and behold there was another subdivision way out in the sticks. There goes the neighbourhood. I went by the Logging Museum a few weeks ago to see what was there. Not much from our generation has been saved, if anything at all. My read is that the influx of retirees has changed the nature of the town and the logging history will soon be erased. Property development and coffee bars rule the roost right now. On the other hand, I thought maybe this might be a good enough spot to spend my final years if my wife was willing. Great area on a sunny day. I remember scratching my name in amongst the many that had done the same, back in the '70s. My guess is that these personal placards went into the smelter like so much else from our history. At least I still have the memories and the shots on this website to bring it all back
Hey HayesNo1: WB: 225" Rear Axle spread: 68" I have a lot more on this truck, let me know what you need and I can get it for you.
64Pacific; Thanks for your info. Any info/measurements on that truck has my interest.
Hi. This is my first post, I have lived in Squamish since 1960, Seen alot of changes. My Dad and I collected Cat Tractors from a Cat 10 to a Diesel 75, Still have 2 D2,s and a Cat10. After viewing this post of Mack Trucks I went down to Elaho Logging shop and took a few pics of it, Will post later, H438 has a Rolls Royce V12 in her . Serial #3, manufactured by Perkins, Elaho has moved to Phillips Arm, I have pics of there equipment waiting to be loaded on the Barge, Enjoy this forum, Ken
Welcome bccat! Looks like you're our man on the ground in Squamish... Everytime I went into the Elaho yard, I had a sense that the place was on the way out. The news that they are moving to Phillips Arm tends to back this up. So the H-438 - where is this? I thought that the cab that was there was the H-439. So are they junking everything that is left there? I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.
bccat; Welcome on board! Looking forward to see pictures. As jackd I am a curious about H438. Last time I saw her was in CR with a sander box attached in 2005 - I think owner was Olsen, CR. Next year cab ended up at Ventures Site, so I thought truck had been scrapped so hopefully she is still worth saving beside H439
Pics of cab in 2006 and truck wth sander box Y2005(pic 2). Cab got Pacific/IHC doors. All pics were taken in CR area!
Hi I made a mistake the one in Squamish is H-439, There is also a Kw 850 ex coal truck at a shop on Loggers Lane beside John Langis, they are getting it ready to Haul pumice in the upper pemberton valley,Ken
I saw that KW850 when I was up there recently. The owner said that the HDX that he has was going to be used for the same purpose. He said the HDX was better at climbing the steep terrain than the KW. Keep the info coming bccat. Anything else up around there of interest? Who is that guy over by the Train Museum with the equipment in his yard?
Still There. I thought I'd post some shots of this equipment now that they've brushed it out. They still haven't carted it all off and someone dragged the water tank for some reason. I didn't realize that the H-439 was actually more than just the cab because of all the alders that were there. Almost a comlete truck and yes it does have a Roll Royce engine.
Hello Bccat! I was up in your neck of the woods this morning and noticed that the Elaho yard is locked up - never been the case in the past. Have they finally moved on? I also saw a couple of older haulers parked near downtown at a truck yard. I never had my camera along or had the time to go and investigate, so I am hoping that you might be reading this and might enlighten us. The truck yard is right behind the Ford dealer next to the river. These are recent arrivals.
jackd, The trailer and bunks for the hd110 are nearby at Sandy's other site , The Kenworth at Squamish Mills shop is a 848, Been there a while, Will get pics and serial #, Ken
I hadn't noticed the Kenworth on previous jaunts to your area. Everytime I go up there I wind up meeting some very unique person from the area - usually they wander on over to look at the motorbike that I'm riding. I met a guy who runs around on a Ural sidecar with knobby tires on it - my guess is that he heads up into the back trails around Squamish. Boy I really do enjoy that area - it's starting to feel like home up there.
Howdy bbcat! Please post pictures of your D2's and Cat 10's! I hope you find all the tricks to resizing your pictures. I'd love to see them. There is a thread here for 'Old Iron", it would be cool to see them. I owned a D2 Cat in the seventies, it had a straight blade and a Hyster D2 winch, and a complete canopy with sweeps, it was a fun machine.
I rode past the Elaho yard today - there's a big 'For Sale' sign on the top of the building facing the highway. Open for re-development - more changes for Squamish.
Sorry to say, I found out a few weeks ago that truck was written off last year in Holberg. My dad was up at Saratoga Ventures looking for some 17inch air cleaners for my truck when Joe showed him to blue ones that happen to look a little familiar. Not sure how it happened, but I now have both Air cleaner housing on my HDX
Newbie hear, but long time lurker. Premay Equipment/Trucking has 4 CL's in Ft Mac as well as 4 Challengers and a few 849. I just had my hoe low bedded by a CL and an old Aspen.I'll try to sneek some pics, but we can't get close ups because of security etc. I'll make sure to get them in the laydown yard outside of the mine.BTW they made 2 Challengers into tridems I think, 1 for sure
H-443 I am always delighted when one of my fellow riders somehow captures something a little bit different. Here is H-443 once more, this time supposedly in Sayward in 2008
Fall Day in Squamish I rode up to Squamish today to check out some spots as suggested by another forum member - unfortunately I didn't see much. So I decided to get a shot of the previously mentioned 848 as mentioned by Bccat in a previous posting.
More Mack Pics. Some more shots taken from up-Vancouver Island by a fellow rider supposedly in 2011. As an aside, I did a final ride for the season up through Squamish today and the old M & B H439 is still sitting there off to the side in the bushes. I wonder if she'll be there in the spring when I return. The scrap yard over by Industrial Way in Squamish is doing a roaring business from what I can see today. Lots of old machines are being processed.
H443 again Recently spotted at Sayward, crossing the main road with boom extented to get under power wires.
FINALLY found the "Westcoast Logger" magazine with the article on the Menzies Bay Macks! I will try to scan it later this week.
The 27 truck missing was sold to Apex House Moving in 1978 in burnaby,bc
Posting #46 caught my eye with reference to the Rolls Royce engine. Three of these where supplied to Menzies (about 1988) two of which where installed in the Macks. The other was left on the floor for spare parts. Cullen was the representative. Perkins was trying to get into the larger engine world and knew their name was associated with small diesels. They made some kind of arrangement with Rolls Royce to use their name to promote these engines. The engines where originally developed for the British military in tanks and were capable of up to about 1000HP. In the Macks they where dialed up to about 625HP and at that they could run away from the Cummins and DD wasn't even in the race. I recall seeing a graph that showed as the HP was increased the engine life decreased at 1000HP the engine life dropped drastically. Apparently in the tank application the driver could dial up the horsepower but at the expense of using up engine life but I guess if you want to get in, get done and get out it would be nice to have. I think they were good engines but support was a problem and they were difficult to work on. For example the fuel system including the pump was buried down in the V between the cylinders. Even a simple fuel line leak was hard to get to. An engine was also supplied to another division for use in a grapple yarder. Perkins to this day have 900HP V12 engines in their lineup which they say came out of their military line so they seem to have evolved and lived on in other industries with a better support.
I have a lot of pics of BenWest's Mack. Unfortunately it wont seem to let me upload any of them. Once I can figure it out I will share them!
You need more posts before you put up pictures, sorry do not remember how many.
Thanks 075, it seems with every post I gain a few new privileges!
Should post these here as well as M/B
Cl350 New truck.old shared photo
Inlet Contracting (Pete Darwin) bought this truck( the blue one) a few years back. It ran in Holberg until his driver ( very little experience) was coming down hill too fast and couldn't negotiate turn and drove off road. I operate one of the hoe chuckers here. Was sitting about half a click down the road waiting for a lowbed when it happened.
You got the aircleaners from the ex Clyack truck that Pete Darwin Inlet Towing bought from Saratoga a few years back. It was wrecked here in Holberg when it ran away.The other truck is ex Butch Carroll that Brett Meredith( GCB Ventures) bought and later sold that and contract to Dan Clarke.
Ben West Logging Mack CL350 Getting Loaded then to the Log Dump:
Pics of M&B unit #H437 with Pacific cab when she was scrapped at Tom Turners place in 2005.
Biglorryblog website has a complete set of pics of this truck being rebuilt pretty nice check it out
The cab on this unit, is that the Mack cab that was rebuilt using Pacific doors? It seems that of all the Fat trucks, the CL-350 was the only one to have a bit of a slope to the hood. Did this give the truck better visibility? Ap40
It Has been 36 years since i last drove a New CL350 in Zeballos and for the life of me I can not remember what the doors looks like. But in skadlls post # 71 it looks like they came with different doors. I remember it was a nice driving truck with good visibility. and some of the later K/W's had sloped hoods as well.
Right on, yes post #71 shows the original factory Mack cab & doors. The tired one in post # 70, shows the rebuilt Mack cab with the Pacific bulkhead doors. Do you remember if the one you drove had the 12V-71 or a Cummins KTA? thanks Ap40
12V71N with Alison with a cable shifter. If you were in sixth and had to stop, and back up you quickly learned to hate it. It was also blue in color and they got rid of it 79 I think, do not know the reason why.
The reason Pacific doors where retrofitted was that the original Mack cab doors had square corners and the corners of the cab cracked continuously. The Pacific doors had the rounded corners which spread the stress out and stopped the cracking. I'm not sure that some of the cabs that where replaced where not Challenger cabs. At least bought through John if he was using Pacific cabs.
Makes sense, all of the M series Mack's that we ran in the quarries had the same problem. So we spent down time welding more "stuff" in the cabs to reinforce the cracks. But overall far to stubborned to replace the door & jam with a better unit. We get hard headed from not using the brain, just bashing harder with our forehead. Ap40
As far as I know your quarry trucks had the same cab they just borrowed it when they built the logging trucks, built in design flaws and all.
Correct. Ap40
Pics of old M&B unit #H443 summer 2012. Take a look at post #5 at this thread - I've posted the 4 different cab types. Re Challenger cabs I don't know how many John delivered. I have seen at least 2 Mack's with Challenger cab.
Post #5 clears it up nicely. I don't know whether there was more than a couple of Challenger retrofits. I couldn't remember the difference between the Challenger and Pacific cabs but there is quite a difference when you see the picture. The gentleman in post # 63 may remember. He's spent a few years living in the cab of a CL 350. I do remember there was quite an issue with some if not all the CL 350s that had a habit of scrubbing off the steer tires on a fairly frequent basis. I know the shop spent time doing weights on the front ends for comparisons. If I recall there wasn't an excess amount of weight it was more of a design thing.
Well I know for sure #H436 and #H444 had Challenger cabs, and I think Ben West at least got two with Challenger cab. One of them must be #H436. Then OFP has 2 CL350 with Challenger cab (#H200 and #H#300) so at least 3 CL350 has been rebuilt with Challenger cabs.
Cl 350 #h441 Picture for pondering.shared photo.
No chance of poking a reach into that rad!
Nice and she has a Cummins KTA. Ap40
This particular truck has had so many different cabs and modifications over the years its to bad a modified dm800 cab was never used sounds like a nice model to build using a kit dm 800 for it well i have it in my project files
Personally I liked the Mack cab they where so distinctive compared to others, looked like they meant business and you never would mistake them for anything else. If you must then the second best was the original Mack cabs and Pacific doors.
Although the offset cab from Mack was a rugged & tough cab, it was just not designed for the off highway market. Much of came down to the cost of manufacturing that cab over the squared off M series cab in either the wide 2 man cab or the narrow 1 man cab. On the CL-350, the DM cab would have been far to costly to modify for use on the CL chassis. Keep in mind that all of the "variations in cabs on the CL-350 over the years" were done after the trucks were sold & long out of any warranty. So like any off highway logging ( also applies to mining, heavy haul & so on) modifications are done with what ever is available at a reasonable cost & time frame. Being that these trucks were designed for the pacific north west logging operations in Canada, mind you with engineering & designs taken from Hayes trucks, it stands to reason that improvements during use would come from sources with a longer history in that market. I too have always been a big fan of the Mack cab design, especially those set in a offset. from the 1930's with the FCSW to the 40's & the L cab, on to the 1966 introduction of the DM & later the U model. Mixed in with that the off highway models for Mining & heavy haul, the LR & later the M series. From a operational point of view, the visibility you get from the DM (off set mounted cab) was always my favorite "office" to work from. Ap40rocktruck
The only real beef I had with that cab. Was when you hit some rough road the steering wheel was all over the place. It seamed that the steering column was attached to the frame and unmovable. While the cab was rubber mounted. That and the wipers in that truck were mounted strange they wiped from the bottom to the top. So all you did was move the water to top of the windshield and it ran back down behind the blade. Did like all the room that the cab had .
Interesting about the wipers. I looked back over the pictures in this thread and clearly there are single arm wipers that are mounted about 1/3 of the way across the windshield and then parallelogram arms that are mounted about center of the windshield. Then H441 shown in #88 has a parallelogram arm monuted below on the offset of the firewall. I can see how the single arms would work like you say, I guess they used whatever they had on and that day.
Those were straight carry over wipers from the Mining line. In typical mine site application, the over all climate tended to be some what dryer than the Pac-Nor-west. Ap40
I know now for sure that OFP unit #H200 is old MB unit #H441. OFP unit #H300 might be old MB unit #H444.
Hi Bccat I've been researching this truck for a little while now, is she still in the Squamish yard? Or has she gone to scrap? Since this thread is a little old I'm just wondering.
That CL350 cab looks an awful lot like something that came from Oshkosh. Could they have had some influence on the design?
No, all Mack, developed from M series mining components & Hayes log truck design. Ap40
aw ok i was wondering my self about the cab so its a original mack m series modified with a new front cowl and fire wall then over time as a result of cracking they added the IHC doors to minimize these problems.
Thanks Ap40 for this info its great you know a lot about macks and other trucks i like the dm cabs my self its a great design that has gone away with the times. offhighwaytruck
I like the air gauges as they look like the speedo from my dads old 50's chev panel van, though I don't think it would do 150....lol
heavyhauler 16, Mack is still there, Gate is locked, So I can,t get fresh pics,
So the property hasn't been sold and everything removed? I made a regular habit of going into that yard and taking pics of that machine, when I still lived in the Lower Mainland. Here's hoping that someone grabs the cab and frame for some use before they haul it away.
[SUB][/SUB] Thanks alot for the info bccat. I hope she stays there, or at least someone take it and restore it.
Talking about CL 350's I am a very happy to run into this forum, I am one of the original owners of a CL350 trucks together with my son Michael who owned the second one we had. Very happy to see that this exclusive piece of equipment is still around and being discussed. I do have a bunch of stories about them and a bunch of pictures to post about the work we did with them. We are mentioned as Heinz and Michael Chapmann in the early posts, thats a mistake and later corrected, the name is Portmann. More later.
Xlogger; Welcome aboard! Looking forward to your stories and pictures. Sorry about mistakes with your names. I got that information from a magazine named "Diesel Equipment" many years ago when sales was announced.
Some info Thanks for the welcome, Here is some basic info that I have not seen in the forum so far, the CL 350 name stands for: Canadian Logger 350 000 lbs, and our average gross weight did come in around that weight, at times more. We had one truck with 14 foot bunks and the other with 16 foot bunks but lower stakes, we came in with about the same loads.
Here is an article from "The Westcoast Logger" published in 1991
Trakloader: Good to see you back on the forum. Thanx for digging up and posting the above article. Is there any way you can get it into a format that can be read? I have a real soft spot for the CL350 ST logging truck and would like to read the article.
I tried uploading a larger version, but alas, HEF won't let me. Possibly I can upload them to Photobucket or something and link to them? I will see what I can do next time I am on high speed.
Maybe Torkel could put it in his Dropbox.
Would anyone by chance have any shots of the drear axles & diff's for these? Thanks Ap40
Here we go again...
I took these a few years ago when Olympic was running them. They looked pretty nice at that time....
Thanx Trakloader. The CL 350ST is a fine looking truck with the Challenger cab.
This looks very awesome! It looks like it carrying a rocket on the first photo.
Isn't that a Challenger cab in the first photo?
Kip Brown Mack Fresh Out Of Shop
Woops, messed up on that one...It's a Hayes (been changed so much thought it was a Mack)
Mark 5 Here is the Mark 5 hauling in Goat Lake when Butlers had it out trying to sell it.here it is pulling adverse just below Goat 1 turn off on the Weldwood mainline, later they hooked up another trailer to it but the road proved too narrow and it ended up in the weeds. Bob Miller was driving it for Andy Byrne at the time, photo by Rory Maitland
oops...wrong thread!
better add some Mack pics I guess. Ted Routh's Mack hauling for Weldwood.
Fantastic shots Greatwestcam! Nice to see photos from when those Mack's first rolled up in the wood. Ap40
Well after lots of help from many members here in the forestry area of the HEF, i have completed a 1/24 scale model (static) of a CL-350ST, Cummins KTA-600, Allison CL(B)T-5960, 14:0025 boots & a 15' bunk. the model is completely scratch built from varying thicknesses of ABS, with brass, aluminum, mahogany, rubber & steel. A special thanks to Hayesno1 & HDX Cheers Ap40
ap40rocktruck; Real Nice Job On The CL-350 St Mack, too bad you had to spoil it with that logo on the doors when there are so many good Canadian Companies that had them. People out in the northwest are not too fond of Weyerhauser and can't say I blame them with what they have done to the forest products industry.
Wow, nice job!!!
I originally planned to paint it blue & white and have Clyack decals made, but i ran into time problems while building the model with the flu........
Really nice job on the Mack! Have you built a trailer yet? Then all it would need is a nice load on it. A couple of questions though, the truck you built it like, did it have only one air cleaner and two mufflers? I only ask because when I worked on the off highway log trucks they had two mufflers because it had a muffler for each side of a 12V71 engine or just one muffler when powered by a Cummins or Cat for that matter. They also all had two air filter housings that in the case of a Cummins or Cat were joined together with a Y connector. Don't get me wrong, that is a AWESOME job! Just curious is all.
Thanks HD Mech, Yes i have a trailer in the works for it, just did not have the time to finish it yet. My old friend HDX had given me enough information years ago for a 60 ton Hayes trailer, so that is what it will have. On the dual exhaust vs single for a Cummins motor, I just prefer the look of the twin side by side stacks. Plus the factory chassis drawing i have from Mack trucks, shows a SINGLE 2 stage air cleaner & DUAL side by side stacks. In planning out the model, I had printed every image from this thread up to July of 2013, plus Hayesno1 sent me many close ups of bone yard & dilapidated Clyack units. Sadly between all the photos, these really was not enough clear detail to model just one specific truck. Like i said in response to dmills1419, the door decal was only done as i just did not have the time & clear image to create a accurate Clyack decal. So this build is a blend of all the photos i have for factory new, & shop re-built / modified. Later on down the road, i will build at least 2 more, one in blue & one in M&B red and white, both will have the 12V-71. Thanks again to everyone who helped & please more comments & information is always appreciated. Ap40
In addition, when I do build another 1 or 2, i will correct the water bunker (came out way to wide) and add much more detail. this one still needs the entire water cooled brakes plumbing, under hood wiring & missing reservoirs, and a few small details. The main goal in the model was to enter it in a local model car / truck show. the show is unique as it is the only one to give out a "Mack truck award"......... Ap40
Well I think you should win the" Mack truck award" hands down! The truck looks great! Makes me want to try building one, or probably a Hayes or Pacific as I worked on them more. I don't have the experience that you obviously do as I just build plastic models, mainly stock cars. One day I will try though. One question about the tires, do you make the tread pattern yourself or are you able to buy them?
HD Mech, yep, it brought home a 1st place & best Mack (that make 8 or 9 of them, not sure) LOL. I really like the fat trucks on the island, & someday before all is gone & forgotten I would like to make the journey from here to there, to see the trucks but more importantly, meet the folks who made a life with them. Eventually, i want to build a Hayes HDX (#H-17 is the one), A Pacific P-16, a KW 850 and a Challenger. now to just live long enough... Ap40
This truck matches the factory drawing I used in constructing the scale model, Single air cleaner & dual side by side stacks. All i really need is a good clear photo of the door artwork & the "Weyerhauser" can come off & something better can go in its place. Ap40
very nice but hate to say it this good looking beast does need better artwork on the doors some one who deserve this good looking beast not that outfit
Nice job! I do have a question though...When are you gonna make one that moves?
Thanks Reg, you kill me, I only model static, to the point of gutting a R/C to make a static replica! LMAO
ap40rocktruck. WOW you nailed it WELL DONE!!!! She will look good ANYWHERE I look around and think about how if not for you and some of the other guys that build models in such detail on this site-- a lot of people would never even see trucks like these. They are the miniature version of some of the best built trucks in history. Hayes, Mack, Kenworth, Pacific, and the Challanger. Butler Bros and even S.Madill built one Good job!!!
Hello, I'm doing a bit of research on logging trucks for a forest harvesting course I'm taking through Thompson Rivers University. I'm wondering if someone could give me some basic info on these Mack trucks. What is it about these trucks that has made them such a powerhouse in off highway logging in B.C.? You all talk about the cab design quite a bit, is there anyone who could talk about the trailer and axle design? Any information would be much appreciated. The pics that are posted are amazing!
ap40rocktruck; I'm curious, what did you use for treadplate on the fenders. Did you use any "kit" parts, or is everything scratch built? Once again, fantastic job, the truck looks great. Looking foreward to seeing it with a trailer & load.
I used Plastruct .020" thick styrene diamond plate for the tops of the fenders. The model is about 90% scratch built from ABS, brass, aluminum & resin cast parts. I patterned & cast the Allison trans, rear axles & diffs, air cleaner, cab, wheels, tires, front and rear springs, rubber intake elbows, and various small detail bits. The Cummins KTA is a resin kit i purchased from another company (not recommended) as i found it would have been faster & easier to make & cast my own. I used the muffler body's & 1 heat shield from an aluminum / PE kit, along with the "Mack" PE emblems made by KFS, and to door decals are from Model Truckin Decals. The only parts from a model truck kit are the steering wheel, seats, air horns, head lights, Mack mirror heads & the dash gauges. I did take a few photos during construction & can post some of them if anyone would like to see. Thank you all again, Ap40
Haha. Gotta get a dig in! It's a beautiful model for sure. I would love to see more pictures. Are the diffs and so on cast aluminum? If so, how do you make the molds? Sand cast? How much does it weigh? ...so many questions...
Reg, The castings i do are all in resin, for strength in parts like the drive axles they are molded with 3/16" aluminum round baron the center line. this rod extends out about 1" on either side of the axle housing to facilitate mounting of the wheels & tires. The rear spring packs are molded with 2.0mm brass rod at the trunion center line, again for strength & ease of mounting. I will see if i can get a weight on it for you, I suspect it is right around 10 pounds.
That's very interesting. So how do you make the mold? Do you mock something up out of styrene first? I would like to learn more about all this for my own projects. Post up those build pics!
HHMM, how do I make my molds.....IMD company secrets. That being said, Here are a few shots during the build.
WOW! It's like watching a truck being built in a shop! Excellent! The transmission looks great, as do all the other parts.
Resin casting is no big secret, most of the companies that make the resins and supplies provide how to videos for a small charge. Some distributers that sell the products even offer classes for beginners. You can mold off anything that is rigid, plastic, metal, glass, you name it. Just do a sesrch on-line for casting resin & supplies. Don
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Seeing that little transmission brings back a few "full size" memorys for me.....nicely done.....Cory
I really need to thank members like HD-mech & Diamondtguy, who post all these great photos of building new ones or rebuilding & working on them in service shops. I also need to thank HDX for his continued help & friendship thru the years, as well as Hayesno1 fantastic bone yard photos. Ap40
No problem sir...I hope people enjoy seeing the pics I took at Pacific as much as I enjoy seeing all the pics and reading all the storys of all the equipment at work......Cory
Blk prince
new truck or old?
I think its an old ad not sure what year.
Blk prince
I was in Campbell river this May 5 and seen this Mack is alive and well, to me it looks well cared for. I hope it is all right to post these, as I am new here. Hank R
Wondered how long before you showed up Hank R Welcome aboard. Does Hank S know you are over here LOL
kenworth doors on a mack ?
I am thinking that the doors are Pacific IH doors, with the round corners to solve any stress related cracks that square Mack doors had, Not 100% sure but that is what I read some time ago.
those are definitely kw doors, 72 or newer
You may be correct I was going by what I read in post 3 and 5 in this Mack topic. I am no expert on doors at all.
I hope this is the right place for these pictures, In 1960 Norm Simmons bought a 1952 Mack off highway truck. This was one of 6 trucks had rock boxes on in the iron ore mines in Quebec, the boxes were removed and truck were then driven out to B.C. and sold for logging it a long slow drive since top speed was only 25 mph. V-12 Cummings, Schiender-Westinhouse torque-converter, 4 speed transmission, plantary gears in rear ends, 16:00 X 25 tires. Norm lengthen the frame 4 ft so he could build and install a logging arch in order to skid logs.
Hank R - very good pics and thanks for posting them. Does anyone have any recent news on ex-M&B H439 which was sitting in the Elaho Logging yard in Squamish? Has the land been sold off for re-development and the old equipment dragged off to the scrapper? BCCat - are you still up in that area - can you give us an update?
jackd, As far as I know its still there, will check this week, Land is still for sale, Shop has been rented out to a local Mechanic, will let you know
Looking at that big pull of toothpicks in Post 163. Did they bunch those stems with a dozer blade, or winch each one into the stack before they set the choker?
I can not say for sure since Norm is no longer with us. But I would think they were pushed into a pile or at least very close to each other, still a lot of chockers to set. I can not even say how many arch trucks there were in B.C. Norm had 2 and I remember him talking about 5 or 6 more, I have seen pictures of 3 others. When I was young in the 1950's I remember seeing several old army 2 or 3 ton trucks with arches. They used the arch trucks mostly in the winter, logged around a lake and when the ice got thick enough they came down to the lake and as soon as they had a straight shot at the ice they just gave it to get out as far as possiable. In the spring when the ice left they floated the logs to the mill.
I kind of miss riding up in your area - going to Squamish was always a great relief from the hustle and bustle of Vancouver when I lived there. Is John Langis - who had the Kenworth rock truck and the old Hayes H-110 - still got his yard up behind the town?
Jackd, they are long gone, fella bought them both, the 848 kenworth logger that was down town at Howe sound timber went this spring, also the Euclid 82 -50 , The owner of Howe Sound Timber- John Drenka passed away last fall , the new owners are cleaning up, not much old iron left
John Drenka - I'm not sure who this is. John Langis still alive? He didn't seem the healthiest sort. Or are these one and the same people and I got the names wrong? So the H-439 is gone - shame nobody grabbed some of the bits off of it.
Jackd, John Langis is doing great, just had a beer with him, Known him for along time, Hauled all our antique Caterpillars, Will check out H 439 tomorrow, Ken
Glad to hear that John is doing well - he won't remember me unless he can remember my black motorbike. From what he was telling me back in 2011, he was hoping to sell up his business and head into retirement. I thought he was a bit of a character - lots of good B.S. - very entertaining for a city slicker like me.
jackd, Checked out Mack H-138, Still there, hidden in the underbrush, yard has been cleaned up.
H-138? What is this one? They knocked the bush back a few years ago and everything that was hidden, started coming into full view. There were a few Madill 90' pipes and excavator booms laying there. Thanks for looking.
I was looking for some Pacific pictures and found this one , sorry do not know where or how I got it .
Norie Brothers logging MACH from St. Laurance Seaway converted to logging truck at Coply's shop Cobble Hill B.C.
Pretty good looking loads of wood, wish I was there to see and listen to the sweet sounds those trucks made.:notworthy
Here a few pics of an ex M&B CL350. Pics were taken this summer - more to come.
Olympic Forest Products CL350 Pics of Olympic Forest Products CL350 ST #H200. This is ex M&B unit #H441; summer 2014
Thompson Trucking CL350ST Thompson Trucking CL350ST this summer.
Very nice pictures Hank Funny how the "HAPPY FACE" tires dates them!!! The yellow one pictured above also has them BUT She has Re-cap tires on the steering axle wonder if that was the norm for some outfits . We for sure never ran them on there but some drivers didn't mind them at all Once again individual choice. Also the two M&B or ex M&B trucks are both towing "I"Beam reach trailers Kind of dates them also Nice to see them though Thank You
HDX, now for the rest of the story, I-beam trailers what year would they be??. I never looked that close to notice, and who built them???
Long time we have seen pics of these CL350ST - a few pics I took in summer 2014
More pics of CL350ST.
Strange CL350ST - prototype?? Here is a very interesting picture of a CL350ST. Look at the frame - it is a straight frame. I have never seen this before - it might be a prototype. Can anyone explain or tell the story of this truck? It seems she got M&B colours!
Set up for a rock box maybe
Looks like Macks version of a Pacific P12 or Hayes HD...A very versatile truck.Would be nice to get more info on it or more pictures..
I'm pretty sure it's just an M40/45. The likley base for the CL350.
It would appear you are correct..I found 6 pictures of M40/M45 trucks on the net.I didn't CSI the pics but they appears to be the truck in question..One truck had a rock box on it and a few were prime movers.Same kinda work the P-12's and HD's were suited for.. The pics all belong to some one's collection so I left them alone...
Ben46a; I don't think so. Frames on M series are much wider and I-beams are much higher than on this CL350. I agree that the cab is the same that were used of most of the M-series. Some had just one windshield and The cab was not as wide as on cabs with two front winddows like this. I think it got the frame maybe from an offhighway DM800 model or it was special made - some kind of prototype. Or it could be the "missing" unit#27 - see post #65 at this thread. But still we need some answers
Done working. Looks like its the end of the road for old #100
Where did they take it to ? I seen it down at the barge ramp in Port McNeill about a month ago. Was hoping it was going to be rebuilt
Saw it at Stillwater, both H200 & H300 are still working... for now.
How many CL 350 were there at one time working 50?? or less.
Hank, 27 CL350ST were made. 9 in 1976, 5 in 1977, 2 in 1978 and the last 11 were build in 1979. I guess that over half of them are still working. For further info please see post #1 on this thread.
I must of had a gray moment, why I did not read all the posts first . very interesting. Is there a reason as to why they did not sell more.
I think there was no market for them at that time, but I am not sure. They came a bit late just like the Challenger. I think HDX has explaned why in this forum, but I can't find which thread.
Was up at our Air Port this morning and was talking to a Helicopter pilot, that was working on the Queen Charlotte Island in 2005 and he gave me these pictures. The logs each weighted over 18,000 lbs. ???
Wow some real great looking logs, talk about putting a load on fast!
Off topic question but I know it has been touched on before....but do any of the Arctic Convoy Macks still excist.??I know they were used after the initial trip.Anyone have some after Arctic history on them... I was reading about the Antarctic Cat D8's and got me thinking about these trucks...
Found some Mack music.....
No updates on this? I'd like to know what happened to those also.
One of the first if not the first CL350ST had serial no. #1034. It was delivered around 1st of october 1976. It went to B.C. Mack distributer in Vancouver and was painted yellow. Cab was "CA352". Truck was delivered without watertank. I wonder who built the watertanks that were attached to CL350?
Looks like Columbia rigging to me.
Hi there I'm new to this site but hoping to find out some info. My Uncle drove for MacMillan Bloedel out of Menzies Bay for many years. He past away several years ago but recently his wife gave me a picture of him standing in front of his truck he drove, a Mack CL350 with H445 on it's side. It was an award he received from MacMillan Bloedel for 30 accident free years of driving. Would anyone know if this truck still exists?
What is your uncles name if you don’t mind me asking?
My uncle's name is Roy Maars, do you know him?
I absolutely know the name Ray Maars The H445 May either be at Bendickson or the truck Gord Thompson owns. I’m not positive. But I bet HDX knows. Ray worked with my gramps for many years at Menzies Bay Division
I just talked to my Dad about my Uncle and that truck. He informed me that some time after the picture was taken, he rolled the truck while it was fully loaded on the last run of the day. He also said that my Uncle lost his brakes and had to whip the truck so that it would tip, before he got to a very steep part of the road. My Uncle ended up with broken ribs and wouldn't talk about for a long time. Now I'm more curious to know if the truck still exists.
That's awesome! My Dad grew up in Menzies Bay and my Grandpa was a Boom Forman
About 1977 while laid-off from my regular driving job at ERT I went to Menzies Bay to drive. The dispatcher sent me for a load with Roy Maars. I knew Roy from the golf course. He let me drive once we were loaded and I then went on an older hdx which I think was H 219. Roy was a fine gentleman.
Olympic Forrest still have 2 of the 3 old M&B going strong. One was working further North #H200 but the other was parked in Stillwater cause of the ongoing strike. The last #H100 is used for spare parts as you can. Maybe I should post them on M&B site...
Hayesno1 Would you be able to tell us what the writing on truck 300 hood skirt says please? Wondering what the unit number was when it was an MB truck.
I think it says “Mama Tried” H200 was #H441 and H300 was #H444
More pics of H300
Some back shots of H300
Last pics of H100 - not much left
Poor old girl!
This one was scrapped last spring. Rolls Royce engine in it
Were there many RR engines in trucks ???
Some Hayes got RR engines in the 50's but I don't think they were a big succes. I guess HDX can ad more details. A few of the Mack CL350ST got RR engines as well but most got Mack's own engine. There might be other North American truck makes that offered RR engines like Hercules or Leyland Bison. But in UK they were offered by many of the British truck makes like ERF, Scammell, Foden, Guy, Seddon, Thornycroft etc. I think Euclid offered RR engines as well.
Does RR still make truck engines for sales in Europe??
No not to my knowledge. They make some engines for Big dumpers now. I live in Denmark and I have never heard that any Danish trucks had RR engines installed even though many British trucks were sold in Denmark. They were cheaper than German truck makes and Scania and Volvo. But the quality of the British trucks were poor only Bedford and Ford survived into the 80’s and 90’s in DK.
A few more pictures of Thompsons CL350ST
I just experienced that Wahkash got a blue CL350 running. It is unit #8 and is hooked to a lowbed trailer. It might be old Butch Carroll unit or Clyak unit #8. Does anybody know?
Sorry I meant it might be Clyak unit #7. Clyak unit #8 has been scrapped.
Still going strong - last time I saw her was in 2004 I think
I HDX I can confirm it was #H51 - I just found a pic of her
Yes Was originally a Copper Canyon truck Hayesno1 A friend of mine was the driver of it down there Robbie Robson He was a driver at Franklin befor transferring to the Canyon. Being as it was a one and only down there the decision was made by management to send the H51 up to Menzies Bay Division to be with all the other CL350 Macks that M&B owned
Steve!!,nice to see you here, Forestry forum has seemed a ghost town, with you not helping out with the old school wisdom,these recent.You are missed. respectfully-Todd
Well maybe it's time to get Al (Camptramp) and I back here again.. Good to here from you again also Todd Missed all you guys
Nice to see you back, Steve. Ed
Thanks a million Ed, Thank You. Look forward to seeing all the new pictures and stories the we all been sitting on
Thanks HDX and great to see you back at HE
I just read in last weeks newspaper that John has passed away. He had a very bad crash a couple years ago and was in and out of hospital since. On the 5th of October he succumbed to his injuries and ailments. He was a real gentleman and such a hard worker. We miss him on the jobs.
Hi can you help me to find this truck or do you know the owner I want to buy it.. thanks [email protected]
A bit late, but I work for Bendickson currently and we've got 4 or maybe 5 CL350's. Once they let us back into the bush I'll get some pictures of them and report back here. All still going strong as of earlier this year, I believe one of them has a Rolls Royce in it as well.
Here's some photos of the CL350's we have in camp at Stafford Lake. The other 3 are currently in Warner Bay. The green and yellow one on the first page is out there and hasn't changed much, very well kept trucks.