Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Champion 100T Motor Grader

delio lorenzana · 2013-09-18 13:14

Memories of the 90s Then we were great, I want to show that we have eyes to build. A unique Champion Motor Grader, which was build in the whole world. Capable of leveling a surface road in the middle of the desert, in a single pass. Enjoy these images. With the compliments of D. Lorenzana [email protected]

Replies36
  1. #172hayes2013-09-18 23:54

    Delio thanks for the great pictures! does any one know how many were built and if they were any good?

  2. #2mitch5042013-09-18 23:57

    I had seen them before, but not in such detail. That cab design is cool looking.

  3. #3delio lorenzana2013-09-19 02:40

    The 100T program began at Champion in 1977 and ended in 1994/95. Since then Champion 100T graders have been placed in service in several locations, Canada, United Estates, Norway and Australia. Machine was build and assembled in Hibbing, Minnesota by DOM-EX. Inc. We built 9 units and we have had 2 more units in our order book prior to close the project. Unit weight was 92,627 Kg. Cummins/Detroit, engines deliver 700 CV of power. DL

  4. #461BG2013-09-19 11:33

    The original model was actually called the 80T. One of the first prototypes went to a joint venture company called Alnor-Rumbel & was put to use on earthwork for the new Darlington Nuclear Generating station, located east of Oshawa, Ontario. This would have been around 76-77.

  5. #561BG2013-09-19 11:41

    I also meant to say thanks for posting the pictures, they are great! Any more???

  6. #6delio lorenzana2013-09-19 11:44

    Yes Sir. You are correctly right, first units we called 80T, at the very beginning. DL

  7. #7[email protected]2013-09-19 16:46

    I have guys looking for Champion M Gs often. They seem to have a good following overall. They must be sturdy hard and working.

  8. #8[email protected]2013-09-19 16:48

    That's sturdy and hard working. Sorry.

  9. #9Silveroddo2013-09-23 21:21

    Preddty cool, kind of neat to know the were built in hibbing. Happened to see there was one on machinery trader, heres the link http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7823989

  10. #10bigrus2013-10-07 05:15

    They were here somewhere in Australia I had a picture of one of these on my wall in '77. It had two blokes standing next the moldboard with a holden ute (aussie for ranchero or el camino). The machine absolutely dewarfed them.

  11. #11Graderfan19812014-05-02 14:54

    I have read some comments in the Acco Grader thread and searched here for photos from Champion 100T, yeah, here are they What a wonderful big grader I hope that some are still active.

  12. #12old-iron-habit2014-05-02 16:08

    Nice monster. As I am always interested in how things work I am curious however how the front wheels stay in alignment to each other. Looking at the second picture, looking directly from the front, it appears that that when you steer via the front hydraulic cylinders (I think) the wheels could go out of alignment if one side turns easier than the other. Typically one would expect to see some sort of a mechanical linkage between the wheels. I must be missing something. Thanks for the great pictures.

  13. #13BDFT2014-05-02 20:20

    There's a steering cyl on each side. One goes out, the other goes in, grader turns. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Cat M series aren't much different, just more sensors and wires. I'd like to see some pics of the inside of that cab although it probably looks like all the rest of them. I like the way everything looks built like a tank and simple as Hell. Cat 24's look spindly and delicate by comparison.

  14. #14d9gdon2014-05-02 20:32

    You can see the drag link that keeps it in relation in this full frontal view: This one gives some idea of the size of the machine: ...and although I'm not using a Champion 100T grader, I thought I'd throw one in of me slicking off a building site recently. Enjoy...

  15. #151466IH2014-05-02 23:54

    That cant be good on anything. It looks pretty uncomfortable for you too

  16. #16old-iron-habit2014-05-03 23:05

    I understand the steering cylinders fine. I couldn't see the linkage that keeps them tied in alignment that D9gdon pointed out. Must have had dirty glasses on.

  17. #17d9gdon2014-05-04 11:09

    Well I thought I'd get a bigger response out of that photo than I did, 1466IH. It's not really me or mine, but I got a laugh out of it. It's just a photo that I found on the interweb. Looks to be a Russian grader maybe. Pretty close to a little Fiat Allis but the sheet metal is different. Maybe it's the same operator that crossed that rope bridge over the river that was posted a couple of months back...

  18. #181466IH2014-05-04 12:26

    I had a pretty good feeling it wasn't you but how would you even accomplish that. I have never been around the smaller graders but on a bigger one I would think that all you would do is pick up the front end Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  19. #19Graderfan19812014-06-12 10:33

    I have found two other pics from the 100T: http://www.***********.net/userpix/2148_campion_100t_1_1.jpg http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/southwestfleetmngmt/media/DSCN3097.jpg.html

  20. #20Super Roel2014-06-21 03:08

    Richier grader . The grader is a French Richier grader , and the operator a teacher of the French operator school . Greetings , Roel .

  21. #21guangzhong6662014-06-28 02:53

    I want to know what projects. need to use such a big guy

  22. #22Graderfan19812014-10-18 11:04

    I have find two another pics, a very big one https://www.flickr.com/photos/doncampbellmodels/3266279387/in/photostream/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/doncampbellmodels/3266256323/in/photostream/

  23. #23MKTEF2015-07-21 12:10

    I have posted pics of the 100T in Rana Gruber Norway before here in the forum. Its not in so much use nowadays, but the meter says apr 2100h. And still kicking... Here is a video of it: http://www.at.no/anlegg/2015-07-21/Veihøvel-i-90-tonnsklassen-15942.html Klick on the player on top. In Norwegian, but just enjoy the pics. This is not anything you will see everyday.

  24. #24Graderfan19812015-07-22 12:04

    Good news that someone get the grader again running I hope there will follow more photos or videos in the future, i have watched this video often, great to see this grader running!!!

  25. #25Detroitfan2015-08-13 08:29

    I was driving a Champion 686 in 1980 or thereabouts and was given this photo from the local dealer.

  26. #26Graderfan19812015-08-15 17:44

    Here some dates from the first 80T-Version: weight: 81,6 tons length: 15 m blade length: 7,62 m blade height: 1,37 m

  27. #27Graderfan19812015-08-16 16:39

    I have looked to the dates from the 100T, the blade was a bit smaller like the 80T version, the 100T has 7,3 m

  28. #28Graderfan19812016-07-12 16:28

    Here are two videos from the 100T: https://youtu.be/A_B3xcsNF7g https://youtu.be/OZd5pshd6WQ

  29. #29Welder Dave2016-07-12 20:44

    I think the 100T was another machine ahead of its time.

  30. #3061BG2016-07-13 22:20

    Thanks for posting the video Graderfan, It is a classic!!

  31. #31Tones2019-04-29 19:13

    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10216219830703248 Shows just how far behind the eight ball Cat is when it comes to big machinery.

  32. #32delio lorenzana2019-07-10 03:06

    We have found two pieces of above little models in stock. ....

  33. #33delio lorenzana2019-07-25 06:59

    Dear People... We have found a small Champion, one scale model and it is the last remaining in stock. Thanks DL

  34. #34delio lorenzana2019-07-25 07:06

    We have this facebook site and we would be grateful for you to post any information above, (Old Champion) S / N graders in your region ... Thanks DL https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=where have all the champion graders gone&epa=SEARCH_BOX

  35. #35mowingman2019-07-25 10:11

    Just noticed this topic today. We had one of these big Champion 100T graders working here in north Texas back in the 1980's. A company called Phillips and Jordan, used it while building the Lake Ray Roberts Dam for the COE. It was a monster and took several truckloads to haul it in. Then, they had to assemble it. It was here for maybe 2 years. I don't know where it went to. Wish I had taken photos of it, but never gave it a thought back then.

  36. #36delio lorenzana2019-07-25 11:19

    Hi from Spain. You are right, because I was there at the Dam when it was built, in January and very cold. We had to replace the batteries because the engine won't start. I think I have the movie somewhere, but I don't remember where ..? I might have left it in Canada. I will look for it and publish the content .. Best regards Delio