I’ll be looking at a Champion 715 grader in an auction yard in a couple days but it has no batteries so I’m bringing a set to see if i can get her to run. I’m assuming these were all 24V so looking for verification before I put my two batts in the box. Any labels I should check?
There should be a tag on the starter motor that will specify its voltage.
Ok- will search for tag. Also I should have asked my question a different way: Was 24V the normal setup for these graders?
A model year would help. Champion switched from 12 to 24 volt around 1995 with the advent of the Series IV I believe.
All I have is the serial number until I see it in person 7151426816202
Looks like its pretty likely a 12v system. Looks like its a straight frame machine from the late 70's early 80's? If it falls into that vintage I have 2 of them that I can verify are 12v. As was mentioned before they didn't seem to go to 24v until the mid 90's 715 straight frame machine 4-71 Detroit Clark 6 speed power shift
Looks like a 4-71 DD alright. The only thing throwing me off is it has the long battery box that’s typical for a two battery set up. But I’ll double check the starter tags as suggested. Thanks again.
There are plenty of 12 volt set ups that are 2 batteries. It is all in how you connect the batteries to each other. Long boxes are usually 4D batteries.
Thanks- I should’ve considered that.
Good chance it’s 2- 12v batteries in parallel. They went to 24v around serial #24000 (they were a series “3 1/2”- series 3 with slip fit wheel bearings, 49076 oil filters on both trans and hyd filters, few other cosmetic differences). It’s not impossible that it’s “series parallel”. I haven’t had anything to do with those early years but some equipment was, so you may not be able to go off the starter alone.
If it's series/parallel you should see the s/p switch right next to where the batts go and you'll see a few batt leads running to it.
it only has two leads dangling into the battery box and I doubt they’re original. They appear to be auto parts store quality so it’s possible the starter or electrical system was abused or doctored. If this is a 2-batt 12v system, the two parallel connections are missing. If it’s a 2-batt 24v system, it’s missing the one serial connector. I’m not familiar with the series/parallel switch your referring to but I understand the wiring concept. I’ll look for it
You would see a lot of other wiring for the s/p system, the deal is the main electrical system is 12 volt.. all the lights, controls,gauges etc.... but when you hit the key to start it disconnects one batt(from parallel and puts it in series to give the starter 24 volt... If you pull a light bulb from some where you should be able to tell if it's 12 or 24 if you can't find a tag on the starter or charging system.
Ahh- I understand. Never seen that before but that’s all good info.