My buddy just picked a Champion 780A VHP SERIES 5 with 7000 hours and have some questions. 1) If it stalls in gear it won't re-start until you jump it!Is this normal or due to the electronics and it senses it's in gear? I was surprised at the tiny batteries it has ( 31-MHD not 4 or 8 d as I would expect) 2) Slow hydraulics. All of my grader experiances is on Cats (14g,h, and m,160 h and m,and 140 h) and not sure if this is a Champion thing or the hydraulics are not set right? If you hit the float from fully raised they are faster the if you manually lower them and all functions seem sluggish. 3) don't have a manual so what is the set pressure on hydraulics? 4) Every once in a while, it won't go into reverse and you have to cycle back and forth from neutral to reverse. Is this an electrical/ computer problem? Bad joystick/ paddle? Thanks in advance!
I can't remember if the park brake had to be applied on those old ones to restart or not, but they won't start in gear, neutral only. If you're having troubles with the gear shift as well, you could go back and forth with the lever, same as when it's not going into reverse, then try and restart. The transmission controller is the module with the gear shift- it's all 1 piece. The older ones with two sticks would sometimes get dust and crap in there and be hit and miss. I THINK (all the ones I ran were good) some series V's had trouble with the controllers, they were the first of the joystick controller. I could check an older manual and see, but I think the hydraulics on those ran about 2500 psi, it was lower then the newer volvo built machines. You could check all the usual suspects, filter, what fluid is in there. If I recall correctly you could use ATF or hydraulic 22, but I'm going from memory. They are a variable displacement pump, standby pressure is something like 70psi.
Never use park brake . I tried wiggling it and starting with no results! The weird thing is both time after charging batteries it starts right up but has never needed charged or jumped in morning after sitting overnight. Just after it stalls in gear it won't start right up. Pretty damn annoying . Thanks for the reply.
Wiggled paddle shifter not brake!
I believe it. You shouldn't have to jump it. If you think it's not charging, you could check the 24-12 volt converter behind the seat. There will be 2 fuses in it. If one of those fuses are burn't out, it won't charge (makes no sense to me, but I've ran into it). If the shifter is in neutral and it still won't go, ignition switch maybe? You might have to do some troubleshooting on that one.