I was looking at the difference in the numbers of threads and posts between the different machines, and noticed how the excavators have the highest. I have always found that when you try to train young people on a grader, they would rather run a hoe. Personally, I try to avoid anything with tracks especially if you live in an area that gets cold weather because I hate working all day, and then having to shovel off the tracks before I go home.
Yes, in excavators and dozers are the most topic, I think that machines like the users most and they are often used. I only like motorgraders, I'm not a operator, only a fan. But I find graders are the most interesting and best looking machines
excavators are very versatile, and for the most part easy to operate. With that said all machines have a purpose, and when a specific job needs to be done, a certain machine may be the best choice. As far as more excavator threads, once again excavators are more versatile. One thing I've noticed you'll see more private owners running excavators skid steers etc... but not as many dozers as in yesteryear. Does anyone remember how versatile the willy's jeep was? They came with a PTO and could basically run anything to do with construction/farming at the time. 100 yrs from now people will be saying remember them funny looking things called exumfaders.
Yair . . . I believe excavators are the most versatile earthmoving concept that has ever been developed. With the right type of haul units they are capable of undertaking almost any type of excavation project . . . whether they are the 'best' or 'most cost effective' approach is another thing again. On many jobs here in my part of Australia trucks and excavators are frequently the only equipment used, with maybe a grader to tidy down to grade. I can see lots of advantages. I would imagine that with proper management costs would be known precisely for any given haul, operators could be multi-skilled and readily available . . . with proper training I can't see it would be any problem to alternate between a hoe and truck. Given the way they are taking over from other machines you would think competition and volume of production would begin to drive them down in price. Cheers,
I think that there are just more excavators around that any other piece of machinery. I know for a fact that they are the highest selling units by number of any other type of iron. That translates into more operators and wrenches asking more questions here.
Oh I'm not knocking their uses. We have a guy here that can finish an area and you would think that the grader had been on it. Their only limitation is being like other track machines depending on the float truck to move them around. A capable operator can literally move the earth. I work for a small asphalt company. We do about 2 or 3 million dollars a year worth of work perhaps more in an election year. I have been with them since 1998. When I started, they had a 1990 730A. In 2012 they finally bought a new 2011 940 Volvo. They have had the same 1982 D7, A D3C, a D3GXL, a 450 John Deere, a few rental tractors. Several New Holland backhoes. The machines that stay fresh, are their front end loaders, 4 Cats, 7 Volvo, and a Case, and their excavators 1 komatsu, 1 New Holland, 1 Cat, 2 Kobelcos, and 3 John Deere. Even the asphalt riggin besides a new Leeboy spreader for doing driveways is older. They still have 2 old steel asphalt rollers with gas engines, and no vibrators. Anyway I guess they figure the good investment is in the wheel loaders, and excavators.
We have a few guys like that, too. I've never run a trackhoe but to see a smooth operator in one is a thing of beauty to behold! It also means we'll be done the day's work on time - if not early - so the road can be made passable sooner.
Excavators do other jobs like graders, so we can not compare both machines. But grading ways and big places, no other machine can do this so fast like a grader and a grader has the most moveable blade to do different grading jobs like slopes for example. What small firms in Germany missing, are smaller graders. MBU had 4 or 5 types of graders which weight 5-7 tons for example, but since MBU exist no more, only bigger graders exist. Only HBM has a grader which weight 7,5 tons. But I think that attachments graders are more common in the future...
Mauldin's Maintainers are great for small jobs. I don't like them as well as the Alitec maintainers, but they do the job, plus you have a bucket for those tight corners.
The smallest ones we have are 160Ms. They're great for smaller roads and the odd parking lot but, because they have front assist, they spend a lot of time on the back country hill roads.
Yes, I have seen pictures from this, look very interesting. But if the German people like them? I have present some pictures in the german forum, but it seems not much interest or we need a german supplier for them to bring them on the german market.
I think they are a tough sell. My boss talks to other owners at road builder meetings, and most just use a skid steer and a few rakes. We have had three incarnations of them, a puckett, and alitec, and the mauldin. I did a driveway for a brother of a longtime grader man, and being retired he was there the whole time to see what I was doing. When I took the Mauldin off the float he said " My grandson has a bigger grader in the sandbox". By the time I was done, he was pretty impressed at what she could do.