I'm looking at buying an old Champion D680 it has a 671 Detroit engine that I'd say has water in the cylinders from sitting for about a year with no cap on the exhaust, dude wants $2,000. Was wondering whats involved in pulling the injectors to try releasing said water and see if it will turn over.
I would try turning it a little bit before removing the injectors, if it doesn't turn at least a little you may want to run not walk away from the deal. The 6-71 is a good engine but if it has gotten water in it to seize it up you will spend a fair peice of dought in New Zealand getting it going again. Use a socket on the crank pulley or the cam or balance shaft in front, don't use the starter you could bend a rod if it turns and then hydro locks.
Had a crack at un-seizing the old D680 today, turned out there wasn't much water in the cylinders and it was just a bit stuck, after freeing it up and turning it over by hand then spinning it over with the starter for a bit to get the oil around the engine, it fired right up, well worth the $2000 felt a bit bad driving it out past the dudes house, haha
They are so noisy but a great ole work horse
Hey HSV127. See you are NZ based, we are looking for an old grader to maintain our cattle races in South Taranaki. Not interested in selling this one are you!?? Or know of anything else around? Cheers Will
Hi wwd10, welcome to the forum, sorry I'd say it's too late for you now you're addicted! haha. Thats exactly what I'm going to be using this one for, and I have a lot of work for it so sorry it's not for sale at this point. How much were you wanting to spend on one? I see a couple of cheapish ones on TradeMe, one is down Wanganui way. Cheers Robert
Yea, that's why I signed up. Figured I needed to ask the experts what to be looking for when I check out a few on trademe. Let me know if yours is ever available again! Will
Nice work getting the old Jimmy fired up! I've seen them stick all the injectors down after sitting a few years. Engine turns spins over fine, just no fire.
Dramas! Engine in the old girl is feeling a bit off colour. Gonna have to crack it open, hopefully I can get away with just replacing the one piston and liner and new rings all round.
HSV127 You will have done all the hard work if the crank is good rekit the whole engine. Pulling the head and the oil pan are the same amount of work for 1 hole as it is for 6 holes
Finally got some time to get back to work on this engine, just ordered a complete set of pistons and liners plus one conrod that was a bit damaged and all gaskets needed. All up it cost $3500 NZD. Also sent injectors to be tested to make sure they're all good. Big end bearings don't need replacing as they are like new, same could have been said for the pistons and liners if they hadn't been water damaged!
Here's where I got to on it last year, nasty!
What were they using to fill the rad? Swampwater. LOL Great old machines. Best to navigate your turns in reverse. They like to go straight.
Couple more progress pics Started stripping and cleaning up the head, took the injectors in to the local diesel shop to get tested and serviced.
Was wondering why I couldn't get the water to come clean after multiple flushes of the cooling system. Doesn't help that the front tyres are basically bald as well!
New parts turned up today, all the way from the USA. Gotta love a fresh engine kit!
quick question... how do I start a new thread?
looked all over and cant seem to find a post button... is it because im probationary?
You need a minimum number of posts before you can start a new thread. I think 3? It's a way of stopping the spammers/bots.
Figured as much, thanks for the confirmation!
Was wondering if anyone can help me out, I'm trying to find the specs to set the injector height for a C60 injector for this engine (671N with two valve head), or is it the same as a N60 injector which is 1.460" or 37.10mm according to the book I have, my book doesn't list the C60. Thanks in advance.
HSV127 the kent moore tool catalog should have the timing tool. The only C60 injector I could find listed it as a 53 series injector, a C70 was listed as a 71 series injector
If you have standard timing 1.460 be right. Good luck Bob
Finally got the buzzin half dozen finished and started to install it in the grader, just gotta find time to get back and finish it!
HSV127 Doesn't 6 nice new liners and pistons look beautiful and it will sound sooo sweet. 71 series engines sound great. I think the only sound that is sweeter is the Cat high output D8 under full load + 30%. But you sure did good work
Finally got time to finish installing the engine, took it for a blast, runs great sounds awesome!
Have got to love that exhaust stack cover.
Haha yeah, I did put a rain flap on it but where its parked at the moment it's really windy and didn't want to take the risk of the flap being blown open and getting water down the spout again.