Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Change govener on 8V71 Hard to do?

LeakyBoot ยท 2013-11-28 09:45

Have truck engine. Need to change the govener to make the engine into a power unit. Have proper goveners I need. All kinds of new adjustment needed to change these out? Thanks, LB

Replies25
  1. #1Markat4252013-11-28 14:34

    8V-71=Power Unit. Isn't that a contradiction? Lol. I love. the 2 strokes, but I have never worked on one, so I can't answer your question.

  2. #2grandpa2013-11-28 14:43

    Im not an expert on that (or much of anything for that matter..lol) but all the Detroit powerunits I've own had a good manuel throttle set up and the governor was pretty standard.

  3. #3Delmer2013-11-28 14:57

    What's the difference in the governors? If you know what you need for the power unit governor that you can't accomplish by adjusting the old one, then you're several steps ahead of me.

  4. #4excavator2013-11-28 14:57

    Is it possible to get the complete blower/govenor off the industrial engine? If so, I would think it would be quite easy to just swap the entire unit and with a few minor adjustments it would be ready to run.

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2013-11-28 15:05

    In a nutshell yes, you would be ahead of the game if you got a book or someone who knows Detroit. Your going to have to adjust governor air gap, rack, idle, buffer, rpms, and when you install the correct governor make sure you get that fork on the correct side of all parts of the thrust bearing, and have a piece of plywood handy when your working on it in case she wants to start climbing away, Take care

  6. #6AK HDM2013-11-28 16:24

    I agree with HATCHEQUIP, get a book for v-71's or get with someone. But the biggest difference between industrial [variable speed ] & automotive [limiting speed] governor is the governor cover & the spring pack. you don't have to change the complete governor if you are going from limiting speed to variable speed. Change the spring pack & spring housing [ on the variable speed the throttle hooks to lever on the spring cover]. The rack & governor gap will need to be set, while you have the valve covers off adjust the valves. the limiting speed governor will probably be a double weight but it will work fine with the variable speed spring pack. I've done that on 12V71's that came out of Euclid B70 & were installed in a draglines 7 the draglines required variable speed governor. The cover on the limiting speed will have 2 levers [ throttle & shutoff] where the variable speed will only have 1[shut off].

  7. #7Scrub Puller2013-11-28 16:53

    Yair . . . As I mentioned on a post where a member was asking about building a gen-set from a mower engine the governor characteristics are quite different for different applications. Not so critical on (say) on running a pump or a crusher but on a generator the governors are sometimes special units (such as Woodward) to limit droop and keep the unit on frequency. Cheers.

  8. #8AK HDM2013-11-28 18:26

    If it has a Woodward governor, then the complete governor housing on the front of the blower will need to be changed. Pictures of the engines would help, also what is the engine in ,i.e.. pump, generator, etc.

  9. #9Old Doug2013-11-30 21:10

    Can you use a power unit as a automotive engine? A guy that has work on several detroits told me there was some thing that was diffrent about them.

  10. #10mitch5042013-11-30 22:18

    The governor

  11. #11willie592013-11-30 22:22

    :exactly

  12. #12kshansen2013-12-01 10:10

    Make sure you get the rods that go from the gov. out to the injector racks that fit the "new gov" they may be different. Hate to say but it's been too long since I was into one of these engines to recall for sure. Also make sure the emergency shut down on top of the blower is working if it has one. If you make a mistake doing an adjustment it can get exciting very fast! BTDT!

  13. #13Birken Vogt2013-12-01 23:34

    Vise grips on the rack are a better idea than using the flap, because if you use the flap it can suck the blower seals and lead to another, oil-fueled runaway later. But the flap is still a last resort, or a book or something that you can clap onto the intake

  14. #14mitch5042013-12-01 23:44

    My brother rebuilt a 12v71, and when he cranked it up, it ran away. He normally kept a piece of 1/4 plate for emergencies, but couldn't find it. Before he started the engine, he laid a piece of plywood at the ready. When the engine started running away, he put the piece of plywood on the intake. The old green leaker just sucked a hole in the 1/2" marine plywood, ate it, and destroyed itself. He always had a piece of plate in his hand from then on!

  15. #15Zed2013-12-02 04:00

    AK HDM said it pretty good with the technical stuff, and about the book and outside help. If you can get yourself the service manual that there has all the info you need just make sure you are reading the correct page for the governor you have. Its not a huge job it just has to be done right.

  16. #16kshansen2013-12-02 12:44

    The only problem I would have with the visegrips are you have to have the valve cover off to use them and in a quarry location I work in I would not like running the engine like that due to dirt getting blown about by the fan. Also be sure you know which way to turn the rack to cut the fuel! You want to pull the little rods out of the injectors not push them in! I believe I have a link on my home computer to an online Detroit manual, if I can remember that long I'll post it later tonight.

  17. #17Old Doug2013-12-02 18:56
  18. #18kshansen2013-12-02 19:29

    The link I have is for the 53 series engine, not the 71 series.

  19. #19mitch5042013-12-02 22:21

    I don't think he was right, Doug. I have messed with truck engines the most, tractors next, marine next, and stationary some. I never heard about a difference in oil flow between automotive and stationary.

  20. #20Zed2013-12-02 23:21

    There is no difference in oil flow between engine applications. The major difference is the automotive engine uses Limiting speed governor where genset/marine/stationary uses variable speed governor. The return oil flow drains through the cyl heads and block, which are the same animal for any type of application.

  21. #21AK HDM2013-12-03 00:13

    As has been said no difference in oil drain back to pan. Certain industrial engines may have a different oil pump, oil pan, flywheel housing & different accessories. Block, heads & blower are the same.

  22. #22Scrub Puller2013-12-03 13:06

    Yair . . . Slightly O/T but I believe no engine family by any engine manufacturer was available in in as many configurations as the seventy one series GM. They could be specified out of the crate with either rotation, laying at any angle left or right down to ninety degrees and with crankshaft vertical, fly wheel down . . . truly a triumph of American engineering. As I have posted before I worked for a while for an out fit that ran only GM seventy ones in everything , workboats, dredges, scrapers, dozers, draglines, trucks, pumps and so on . . . two cylinder to sixteen cylinders . . . twenty to twelve hundred horsepower. Imagine that degree standardization "these days", the simple parts inventory and availability, diagnostics and down time, there were blokes around (the odd one on this forum) who knew those engines backwards and workshop crews who could literally rebuild a dredge engine over night. Looking at the mish-mash of engine makes and sizes on todays jobsites I reckon that although we live in a brave new world in some ways we've the plot. Cheers.

  23. #23AK HDM2013-12-03 18:28

    Yeah, Scrub, they were used in nearly anything one could imagine. There was a motor coach[bus] that had an 8v71 left hand rotation on its side mounted crossways with an angle drive 3 or 4 speed trans with wet clutch. When the back hatch was opened you were looking at the top of the blower. During construction of the Trans Alaska Oil Pipeline, Detroit Diesel claimed 55% of the trucks in Alaska were Detroit powered. Buzzin' Dozens [12v71] & 8v92 for the most part. Many 12v71 generators. I think nearly all the construction camps had Detroit generators, either 71 or 149 series.

  24. #24kshansen2013-12-03 18:35

    Not to mention the long time they were used, a few minor changes over the years but if you new how to work on one you could work on them all.

  25. #25Old Doug2013-12-04 14:33

    I worked on one of these one time. I dont remember what year it was but it had a 4speed that had a drive shaft runing at a 45 degree angle to a rear end that was turn around and it had a pinion gear at the same angle. It was a 4 on the tree to put it in revers you pushed a botton and put it in first. I was amazed at the way the motor was mounted from mounts that hung down from the body. It was made to work on. I put a clutch in it dry clutch. The easiest one i ever did on a engine still in the rig. I think it was made right after wwII. It was a motor home and it had been for ever or a long time. It was in very good shap even thow it look strait out of the 50s very cool.