Any of you fine people own a 2004-2008 4.6 Liter or 5.4 liter gasser ? You know the ones that the cam phasers go out on, the lifters collapse, the hydraulic timing chain tensioners fail, the motors fill with sludge even with proper fluid changes, the cam journals score, the rocker arms wear out prematurely....... and I could go on but instead I will just spend my 2K to repair their engineering marvel and trade it in on a GMC or possibly a Tundra ! It rattled a week ago Monday, I took it to a Ford dealer on Thurs, Friday afternoon they called and stated....... you need a new engine! To the tune of 8K. I said stuff it back together and I would come and get it. Two hours later it was ready to pick up? 1,866.00 plus tax ! I called Dearborn and stayed calm while addressing their shortcomings and my low mileage 62,000. When the woman stated their was nothing Ford would do I proceeded to ask for her e-mail so I could send the photo's of it burning in front of the dealership..... click ! When I went to pick it up the invoice was 266.00. It is now in a reputable shop and we are replacing nearly the whole front end with updated aftermarket parts. Had I have known what a giant terd these things are I would have never purchased it to begin with. Please beware... look online it will shock you. OK, I will get down from my soap box now. 2006, F-150, 5.4 L 4x4 with 62,000 miles.:Banghead
I'm not sure why you're having such bad luck with yours but those engines commonly go in excess of 150,000 miles before they even show a hint of problems.
don't forget the sparkplugs blowing out of the head! :naughty.
I know how you feel, $1,250.00 to fix a spark plug that they broke, They they sent another letter want me to return for more rip off service. And they said that my death wobble was ok. F250 , 2006 , 4x4, Don't try to fool me twice. sam.
had an 05' 150 stx w/ the 4.6, @ 50k it blew a spark plug, but no other problems till 145k when I rolled it... nice truck, good motor etc.
I honestly don't know why we didn't have spark plugs blowing out of our first Triton; because we had the dxxm spark plugs a coils replaced so many times, that the threads should have been gone. Just luck I suppose. Oh, and this was in a Van too; really sweet to work on. So being a devoted Ford owner for decades, only GM products were a couple of Corvettes; we traded that Triton equipped van for another new van with of course another Triton. More spark plug coils, bit the dust, all under warranty, this time. Thank God for that warranty, I was sick of crawling all over that engine, in the other one. But then with about 22,000 miles, the engine didn't sound right, and wouldn't pull right; just like a spark plug coil or spark plug. Out of warranty now; so what the heck, we know where the plugs are; been there many times before on the other van. Found the dead cylinder, new coil and plug installed; same driveability problem. Changed coil and plug with another cylinder; no change. Still have the same dead cylinder. Yep, Zero compression, in that cylinder. Only 22,00 miles but 37 months old. Hey, we will try to get some Ford help; given this truck has actually been a lot better than most of the other people we know, with their Tritons. They had spark plugs blow out; then some found coolant in the engine, which led to sludge. Ford said, NO Way. I proceeded to show evidence of all our Ford products for decades. Still NO Way. Of course no van available; but we are using Toyota's now. Oh yea, they have their own sets of problems; but none of them left us down in the last 7 years.
the newer fords well an 06 is a pretty lookin truck I almost traded a 7.3 6 spd diesel for one then came to my senses but id like to get one and put the old school engine and trans in one complete with 4 barrel aod and electric choke a 5.8 h.o. would do the trick im thinkin any one ever seen that done to one so far
I have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 and 153k on it. No problems so far for me. I would like to trade it in on something newer but I only put 2700 miles on it in the last year and about 500 of them were in the last 6 months. It's hard to justify a payment for something that sits in the garage most of the time.
AAAAAAAahhhhhhhh the subject of pickups and the poor engineering, don't forget to mention gm's and dodge's in that statement too, they all suck from what I'm told by everyone complaining about their pickups in my area no matter what brand of the big three you have, they all have issues. All I know there are far more new toyota pickups sold in my area the last couple years than anything else, everyone who's bought a new toyota has quit complaining from what I've heard, all the rest are doing nothing but complain about their pickup and its troubles. Even the local fix it guys are recommending a new toyota to me when I asked the last time about a new pickup, they all told me to "not" buy any of the big three's pickups no matter what I wanted to use it for, each had its own set of problems to deal with and they are all expensive to fix, due to poor engineering on the auto makers part. If you want to spark a debate in my area just start up the subject of pickups in the local coffee shop and sit back and listen to everyone's problems with each make of pickup lately, its quite interesting on how much some spend on repairs each year just to keep them on the road and running. Your story is pretty common in my area from what I've heard.
if Toyota made a real one ton diesel i would buy it and if they did it would force the big three to step up their game so i see it as a good thing
The new Cummins V-8 will be available in the Tundra soon.
I believe you can't get the Landcruiser 70 series in the US? http://www.toyota.com.kw/english/to...ser/history/html/history/models/model_70.html Maybe someone should import one, convert it to LHD and start a trend......
Yair . . . there is no doubt that Toyota build good vehicles although I was not all that wrapped with a work truck and a manufacturer that only offered a V8. it doesn't seem to have done their sales much damage, they are still selling at close to seventy grand for a basic 4x4 trayback. I find it amusing about the thing with sparklugs. About three years ago I sold my Hilux work ute bought new in 1985.It only ever did short runs, eight kilometres from home and then driving at work around the golf course . . . so after two hundred thousand kilometres and twenty five years I figured I'd better pull the plugs and clean them before I passed it on to the club. All it ever had was a set of brake linings and three exhaust systems because of the short running, and oil changed May/June and Christmas if it needed it or not. Good little truck. Cheers.
Scrub Puller, We would love to have the Hilux here in the states; but that will never happen. old1
I've been a Toyota guy for years. tipped them over, put headlights under water crossing a brook, and just beat them non stop when I was younger. anytime they ever let me down you could garrantee it was related to driver abuse, not p#^%poor engineering. bought a new tundra in 08 and loved it besides the poor gas mileage. ended up selling it due to a long commute and got a Tacoma now. I would recommend a Toyota to anyone, but its too bad they don't make a hd diesel.