Hello: I have a Cat 910E wheel loader that I do not use much. Decided to change the oil this Spring, its been a while since is was changed not that many hours on the oil though. I added the 10 litters of 10w30 oil the maintainence manual states to put into the machines engine. I also changed the oil filter at this time. When I measured the fluid level on the oil dip stick it is way above the top of the full mark on the dip stick. I am asking you mechanics should I drain some out? Would the high oil level damage the engine? Its been so long since I change the oil on this machine I do not remember (may be a little of old age effect) if the last time the same thing happened.
10 liters seems kinda .. small? Oh, its a wee thing!! it calls for 11 liters so with 10 on board, start up the engine and let the filters fill up as well as the rest, after starting verify that you have oil pressure, give it a minute of run time then shut down, let everything settle for a couple minutes then re-check your fluid level.
Have you run the engine since you filled it with oil..? Remember that if you haven't the oil filter you changed will still be empty. The quantity mentioned in the manual should only be regarded as a guide - note the table says "Refill Capacities (Approximate)". You should always fill the oil to the full mark on the dipstick, start the engine and let it idle for a while to fill everything up, then stop it and after allowing time for the oil to drain down dip the oil again and top off if necessary.
Also how level is the ground or floor where this machine is parked. We had a Mack truck where I worked that it was very sensitive to where you parked it then checked the oil level. Dipstick was right at the rear of engine. If I changed the oil in the shop on a nice level floor and had the oil level right at the top line on the gauge with more or less cold oil, run just enough to be sure filters and such were full. Then parked it out back on what looked pretty level area where drive wanted it. Next morning driver comes in and grabs a gallon of oil and I as him where he needs that. He says oil is well below the add mark on the gauge. Truck was parked backed in a slight down grade and also the left side was a touch lower than the right. The two combined to throw off the reading over 1/2 inch. On off road equipment I always filled to just be in the center of the level on the gauge then as Nige says run and check topping off as needed. I figured if it was a couple quarts low it was not going to cause a problem considering it was only running for a minute or two and compared to the angles those machines can run at for hours on end it was not going to cause a problem. Actually have heard some engines are very sensitive to being a bit over full. crankshaft can wipe the oil up like whipped cream.
Yes I did start the engine and it ran for a few minutes. Checked the oil on the dip stick a few times after engine was stopped. Oil is reading high on the dip stick. Loader is in shop on concrete floor. Should I drain some out?
Weird. I find that dipstick level is usually less than refill capacity. How high (in inches) is it? http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...der&make=Caterpillar&model=910E&modelid=91550
I will measure tomorrow, and get back to this site with info.
It could be a wrong dipstick too or the collar could have slipped, Normally you want the oil level below the crankshaft. I'm wondering if someone swapped in a smaller pan or different engine with a smaller sump. Does a CAT dipstick have a part number on it? If you're close to what the book calls for, you should be fine, a liter over full shouild be within limits. With the engine cold, pull out the stick and wipe it, give it a shove back in and check both sides of the stick again. My backhoe puts a dribble of oil on one side of the stick so one side shows high and the other side is fine.
A photo of the markings on the dipstick will soon identify if it is a Genuine Cat part or not. Also worth bearing in mind if the stick has (or should have) two sets of markings. A lot of Cat dipsticks do. One side will be marked something like "Safe Starting Range - Engine Stopped - Oil Cold", and the other side "Min - Max with Engine at Low Idle". Obviously the marks on one side will be slightly higher than the other. From what I can see there have been 3 different engine models used in the 910 loader over the years and each one has a different approximate engine oil pan capacity quoted in the manual, varying from just over 9 litres to 11 litres.
I called the Caterpillar dealer and had them reference the part number on the oil dip stick. It is the correct one, so the quantity is less then in the maintenance book. I drained some oil out to the full mark. Thank you everyone for your replies much appreciated.
Just out of curiosity, how much did you drain out to get it to the full mark? 1 litter or 5? Hope it is closer to the 1 liter one!