Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Charging problems

jwest75801 ยท 2014-08-06 23:38

Alright guy got another problem so now I am On my third alternator and it is still not charging my battery I am needing some help. What it is doing is when I start it the power light comes on and won't go off until high idle I have checked connection at alternator and there was some corrosion and I cleaned the best and I could with no luck. I also traced the wires to the fire wall looking for frays with no luck. It is like the xcitor is not working any any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my cat 7xlo d3c.

Replies7
  1. #1dyedfuel22014-08-06 23:44

    if you wanted to get out cheap you could use a gm alternator but then again thats only if your not willing to spend the time to fix the problem its gotten me out of a bind couple of times

  2. #27072014-08-07 02:19

    What kind of shape are your batteries in ? Are you getting around 14 volts with the engine running ? Belt tension ? If you happen to be burning through alternators your batteries are a likely cause. I say that because if your batteries are not in ideal shape, you will be full fielding your alternator which will burn it up quick. Full fielding is also accompanied by belt slippage which will show up as excessive heat on your pulley. A fresh alternator should have fully charged batteries on startup.

  3. #3grandpa2014-08-07 07:24

    Your alternator is excited from an oil pressure switch on the block,,,, replace it.

  4. #4Bob/Ont2014-08-07 11:00

    You need to check things out on your machine. Measure the voltage at the battery wire when you take it off of the alternator. Measure the voltage at the alt output at low and high idle. Come on back with what you find. Later Bob

  5. #5jwest758012014-08-07 11:19

    Thanks will do. The battery was just replaced a few months ago this is also the third battery.

  6. #6jwest758012014-08-08 10:11

    I am sorry but I meant to add that my gauges work but my hour meter does not when this happens

  7. #7Nige2014-08-08 10:15

    Not surprising. The hour meter on that machine needs the alternator to be charging to register. No charge - hour meter no work