Anyone have one of those that sells for less than $200 and if so how has it worked for you? Did it have any power and did it blow up in your hands? LB
I can't talk about the one inch, but I've got a "made in Japan" 1/2" impact gun that I've had for nearly 30 years that I paid 25 dollars for new. Funny story, my buddy was showing me his $150 Snap-on impact that he was so proud of and was telling how much better it was than mine. As I was looking it over it looked suspiciously close to mine, so I peeled back the Snap-on boot and sure enough the same casting numbers were in the housing! I've only had to dismantle mine twice to clean it, otherwise it has worked flawlessly. I would bet the same reliability would extend to one inch guns.
here you go http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94109
I have had one of the cheapo Harbor Freight one inch ones for some time. It works great. It is a little heavy at about 29 lbs.
Wrench Will it break loose lugs on your budds? How have you plumbed it---1/2 inch hose? How many PSI? Thanks! LB
Have that same impact from harbourfrieght. Use it off the airline to the trailer, its a little slow that way but will bust them loose. Planning on plumbing right into the air tank with large coupler and 1/2 air line.
I have a cheap harbor freight gun also i bought a couple years ago new, works just as good or better than the high dollar one. Best investment i made in a long time, its paid for itself changing truck tires, and doing brakes.
I had a smaller air compressor and with that it wasn't that strong. Then a customer gave me an old air compressor he had. I ran them both to a manifold I made with a 1/2 inch line off the manifold to the gun. It now has plenty of power to do anything I want. I also bought the cheapo impact sockets from Harbor Freight and they work well also. PSI is around a 110 on both air compressors and flow combined is probably around 10 cfm.
Tank What I'm thinking of doing: I have a 25 gallon air tank I push around on a dolly. It's big so it will inflate a tractor tire in the field. I have a coupler snap a air hose on to fill. I'm going to change the piping around to also hook up the 1/2 inch line --not too long--for the impact. While in use I'll hook the smaller fill hose on and the tank will give me a little reserve without having a 1/2 line all the way back to the compressor. I can roll the tank near the job. I'll have to wait a minute for a refill of the 25 gallon tank after a burst with the impact. LB
I'm in the market for 1" impact right now too. I've been working on trying to get 2 1/4" nut off the back of my tranny and 3/4" won't move it. Figured I'd do an Ebay deal if I could for around $100 and just have it around(don't have really any other use for it). Tools is tools and you can't never have enough, right? LOL! Kinda shy'd away from the cheapies, figuring it wouldn't move it any better then the 3/4" I'm using now. Then it would be a worthless tool. I'm needin' about 1000 lb/ft(at least) to get this nut loose(and back on again), so that's what I'm up against. For the money thought that H-F version looks ok(for $120) Don't know anyone around me that could "loan" one for a few minutes. I've got a 60 gal tank/6 hp @120 psi with 1/2" hose, so I think I could run one.
Where in Ohio are you located? I might be able to help you out.
North Canton. Where abouts do you live in Malvern? Lake Mohawk? Got relatives there. I'm working on getting the socket(new 1" drive impact) or 1"-3/4" adapter to run the socket I got now. It's a std craftsman, so not sure how much beat'n it will take from 1" gun before it comes apart(don't forget the eye protection). I have one buddy who might have gun, but haven't touched base with yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll know if he has one. Adapter will be mid next week before comes in. Local hardware is "loaning" it to me for the job, unless I want to buy it. Might have to splurge for socket too? Once I get flange off, I'll pull tail off tranny, fix seal and check speedo gear problem and then put back together once it's all good. Won't be a one night deal, but getting it apart is the catch right now.
Freighttrain, I sent you a pm.
Well, wanna thank Bill for taking care of this for me. He came up Sat and loaned me his NEW gun. Got the nut off their this morning after a bit of penetrating oil last night.
I have a lot of Harbor Freight tools. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, I'd buy a Harbor Freight tools over the higher priced Snap On, Craftsman, Skill, DeWalt, Cornwall tools any day of the week! I have a broken rotozip that I paid over $100 for, and a $15 spiral saw from Harbor Freight! The HF saw has NEVER let me down, and well as the pnumatic nailers, electric grinders, mig welders, hammers, pry bars, chisels, punches, drills.
i always think the cheap stuff isn't made to hold up for years on end workin in an everyday in a shop type usage. but for the gotta get them so tightly stuck on budd wheels of so i can do a brake job on the truck, need to fix the dozer undercariage..... i say its better to keep money in my pocket then in theirs.
tools Our repair shop supplies the shop tools form Harbor Freight! They use the 1" impact all the time on wheels, pavers, excavators, rollers, graders, loaders, dozers, and all equipment where larger bolts need to be turned! We also use their floor jacks, O-rings, wire ties, air hoses, oil filling reels, grease pumps for both gear lube and grease, extension cords, work carts, creapers, jack stands, and just about all the shop tools including their floor model drill press. They offer standard quality at a cost effictive price! Plus they NEVER question or complain when returning broken or worn out tools. I took a worn out flip driver back to Sears, and had the man tell me that the warrenty was over for that model because they discontinued it! They changed the printing on it is all, and yet I couldn't get it replaced! I complained to the manager, and got the screw driver replaced! Never had problems with Bench Top tools at K Mart either! They also have a life time warrenty! I just hate the big 3! They think that we John Q User has no place else to go other than them!
Does anyone have experience with the harbor freight air compressors?:beatsme looking in purchasing a in-expensive one to run air tools. Thanks
I've been looking at this one for a while now: 29 gal. Air Compressor . Normal price is usually $369 but they put it on sale occasionally for $339. Last year they had one sale with it at $309 so I'm waiting for that sale again. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Air Compressors @ HF Well I think you are going to need one the can power a 1" impact fpr wheel removal. A min of 10CFM is usuall required, but then the compressor runs for ever to keep up with the tools! Just looked up the site and found 2 right off the bat. One is 21.5 CFM 175 PSI and $1200 +. That would run anything you get including a jack hammer! However there is the better choice that is ITEM 92504-4VGA $339.99 13 CFM@ 110 PSI 220 volt, 60 Hz, 23.5 amps (start up), 12.5 amps (no load), 20 ft. stripped power cord ready for 220 volt plug connection; Overall dimensions: 18'' W x 22'' D x 42'' H, I feel this will run a 1" without any problems, and like I said before. Any time I had a problem with their tools, I took them back to the store and either exchanged or got the refund, no problem, no questions asked. After all they want to sell you more tools in the future! They will do whats need to keep your business! Try that at Sears/K-Mart, or the Snap-On van!
Tools I ordered the wrench Tonka posted the link to. Along with a set of sockets and 25 ft of half inch hose. Got it Saturday. Plumbed it up with a metal T fitting on the end of the 25 ft of hose. In each end of the T, I screwed in a male coupler for regular 3/8 hose. Now I run 2 smaller hoses then it goes to the one 1/2 incher. Tried it on a lug nut on my truck and it zipped it right off. But it was a dayton wheel so test will be on the budds on the Pete. Total for all three, wrench, sockets, hose, was just over $200, with shipping. LB
That's the one I've been looking at, linked in my post above. Although the tank is kinda small, the rest of the specs more than make up for it. We'll see what the quality is like when I get it.
CraftsWOMAN I paid $229.95 for a compressor at Sears without looking at the spec's! It's a 5CFM@ 90 PSI, therefore cannot handle a 1/2" impact whic need 8CFM min and 10 CFM normal! I tried to return it stating that it was NOT what I wanted, as advertised. It was supposed to be able to run a 1/2" impact. Well at that low of performance it can't run a die grinder, let alone an impact of any worth! I was told since there was no problem with the unit, that I had no recourse, and even though it crried the Craftsman name, there was no warrenty as to repair or replacement! So I'm stuck with it, and my wife reminding me of this purchase allll ttthhheee TTTTIIIIIMMMMMEEEE! I bought this before I knew about HF! Had I been informed, Sears would NOT have sold me their Craftswoman want-to be air compressor that is a refugee from a gas station air station!
I had looked at some of the Craftsman compressors while shopping. First thing I noticed was that on 2 of the display models, the wheels were about to fall off. A compressor doesn't move very much so how are the tires already about to fall off? This was on their "Professional Series"!!! I asked the salesman about them and he said "compressors don't move much so they use lesser quality wheels to keep the price down". The compressor was over $800....when do the savings start??? I mean come on, even though a compressor doesn't travel much, the wheels still have to hold the thing up!!!! I left then and there. The compressor itself might have been exceptional quality, I'll never know, but I do know I need one that will atleast stand up by itself. Most of my tools are Craftsman and most are good quality tools. You won't ever find a Craftsman compressor in my garage though. I'll try my luck at Harbor Freight....atleast if you end up with a piece of junk, you didn't take out a second mortgage for it and you can take it back for another one. I could go out and buy an Ingersoll-Rand, DeWalt or some other trustworthy name brand but for my occasional use, I'd be spending way too much money. Ya got me all worked up now ....wait till I get my taxes back. Forget waiting for it to go on sale again, I'm gonna go get that Harbor Freight compressor. :drinkup
Congrats Hope you get a good one off the bat! Never seen a compressor returned, and haven't had any problems with this brand. Look out rust nut and bolts, the man has a plan, that is tried and true! IMPACT with ***!
Have you priced compressors at TSC? Tractor Supply Company has some compressor moderatly priced, and name brand! Their sight is down right now, but should be up tomarrow!
I think die grinders use over 20cf per minute.I built up an old refrigeration compressor and am using an old truck air tank for storage and I can only use a die grinder for short blasts and I had to put a regulator on it to do that.I am sure that an impact wrench would be out of the question too.I think the best impact wrench I ever used was electric.That is in the 1/2" size at least. I picked up an oilless compressor a few years ago but it is three phase.I wish I could get that running but will probably end up selling it.I also have a single phase one that I built a hand cart for that works pretty slick around the yard here.Ron G
Another Compressor for Countryboy TSC has their site up, and here is what I found! SKU Number: 3310006Campbell Hausfeld Compressor, 60 gal, 3.2 HP, 135 PSI. 135 max PSI 10.2/11.5 SCGM @ 90/40 PSI. Cast iron two cylinder pump operates 35% quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves. ASME certified tank. $404.99 Then there is the SKU Number: 3300718 Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor, 60 gal, 4 HP, 135 PSI three cylinder, oil lube cast iron compressor pump. 7,500 hours of extended pump life. Delivers 13.5/16.0 SCFM @ 90/40 PSI. High air flow to power a wide variety of air tools. Maximum pressure 135 PSI. Control panel with two universal couplers. Protected pressure switch. ASME certified tank. Vertical Type; 60 gal Capacity; 4 HP; 135 PSI (Max); Cast Iron (Pump) Material. $599.99! If you sho in the right place, and have some knowledge, you can get a deal just anout anywhere! Good luck Countryboy!!!
How about the ones at Depot & Lowes? They're always peddling big shop compressors. I'm gonna check out the TSC model.
House De pot & Lowers Forget lowes! They have the want-to-be air station 4 CFM@90 PSI. Hell you fart harder than that! House Pot however has a decent compressor SKU# 710098 HUSKY 60 Gallon Cast Iron Air Compressor Model VT6314. This compressor offers a solid cast iron, twin cylinder compressor pump. It also offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.5/10.2 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. Over 35 percent quieter and 60degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves. It does need 240 volt/15 amps single phase!