Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chinese Tires

John C. · 2009-01-13 20:09

Lately I've been seeing a lot of Chinese manufactured tires. My impression is the material is soft and easily cut plus I've seen a couple of side wall failures. I'm looking for comments on who uses them, how much they cost and their durability. Thanks

Replies67
  1. #1Turbo218352009-01-13 20:12

    Wait until you see a set of solid "cushion ride" tires on a 980 and 988. When I was working demo we tired out a chinese set of solids on each instead of foam filled. The 988 had smoke coming out of the holes after a month and a half. The 980 faired worse. After about a month it had smoke pouring out those holes, a few weeks later it was rubber pouring out with the smoke.

  2. #2dumpchuck2009-01-13 20:21

    We recently put a set of chinese tires on the front of a Cat 740 ADT. The brand name is Double Coin, I'd never heard of them before. The tire service guy said they've been having pretty good luck with them on haul trucks and some wheel loaders. We haven't put many hours on them yet but one of them has already developed a leak. They were a cheaper than the bridgestones and michelins. I guess time will tell.

  3. #3DPete2009-01-13 21:47

    Everything you pick up says " made in China " that's part of our economic problem. Hell we need to support our own country and our own people. Sorry, had to throw that in. I bought Firestones last time.

  4. #4Construct'O2009-01-13 22:07

    I also went with Firestones on my trencher,was also going to use another Goodyear for the front ,but they was on back order because all the Goodyear(Tition) tires was going for tractor tires and they couldn't keep up with the new tractor sales here. That was this summer and i checked to see if it was still on there list the other day to come in and they said it was ,but had no clue when they would get one? The sale of tractors might be slowing down with the lower grain prices:beatsme:usa

  5. #5RocksnRoses2009-01-13 22:38

    Some Chinese tyres are very good and others not so good. A mate of mine is a tyre dealer and he has been fitting Double Coin truck tyres here for years. Value for money, they are right up there with the rest. For loader and grader tyres, we use Advance tyres. Once again they are good value for money. If money was no object, I would have Michelin on everything, but because I am only a lowly contractor, the Chinese tyres will have to do and to date, they have been doing that very well. Rn'R.

  6. #6activeorpassive2009-01-14 01:44

    Buy McLaren! just supporting the advertisers, lol

  7. #7australian pete2009-01-14 05:04

    i have used double coin and triangle tyres (both chinese) on trucks and they wear well, no problems with them, i have a mate who uses very cheap chinese tryes on his trucks, he says very good value for money.

  8. #8Sparffo2009-01-14 05:05

    I sent a enquiry to them, but got no response?? I was wondering if they don't like to sell stuff to Europe/Finland? To our bobcats we have been using bobcat filled tyres and michelin air tyres with good luck! McLaren would be a lot cheaper than the bobcat ones, maybe even better? On our dump trucks we have been using double coin tyres with good luck so far, on the smaller trucks all kind of brands. I really hate to support this cheap stuff, but to make any profit the choises are few, competition is really tough! The customers almost always pics the cheapest contractor, and the cheapest contractor is usually the one that founds the best value stuff. still i wouldnt even go and try a chinese machine...

  9. #9Squizzy246B2009-01-14 07:19

    I guess it will come as no surprise to many here that a lot of Michelin Tyres are made in China. http://www.allbusiness.com/automotive/motor-vehicle-models-new-car/7661621-1.html

  10. #10RocksnRoses2009-01-14 07:51

    If they sold them for the same price as the equivalent Chinese tyres, I would buy them, but at nearly three times the price and in our work, they can still be damaged the same as the cheaper tyre, the economics just don't allow it. Rn'R.

  11. #11hitch2009-01-14 08:00

    John C, I am not clear about the China tyre industry, just find some information for you, the top Brand of China tyre are: Triangle, Double Coin/Warrior(the same company), Chengshan, Zhaoyang/ZC Rubber(the same company), Double Star. These brands products should be better than the others China tyre, hope it could help.

  12. #12Squizzy246B2009-01-14 08:37

    I went to replace the Yoko steers on my truck and asked about the Michies...nearly $100 more per tyre.......I'll stick with the Yokos....a Japanese made tyre at that. When I did the drives the dealer said try these Chinese "LingLong" as thats what they are supplying to the mines. I have done about 12,000 klicks and still haven't been able to detect any wear.

  13. #13Serv2009-01-14 09:16

    The price of a chinese tire is less but the cost is much more when running over the road. I've seen several sets of Michelin XDH4 and Bridgestone M726's go 350k to almost 400k miles (in rare cases) measured by hub-o-meters on one of my accounts' fleets back in my days as a commercial tire and retread salesman. At the time, the m726 and the premium Michelin could be had for around $400.00 per tire, tax in. Later in life, I quit that job and went on my own and briefly dealt in container loads of double coin drive tires. The double coin with the identical tread pattern of the bridgestone could be had for around $250.00. The DC drive tires wore evenly but we were lucky to get even 100k miles out of them. So if you do the math, the bridgestone's actual cost at 350k miles was ~$11.43 per tire, per 10k miles. The DC cost ~$25.00 per tire, per 10k miles. My DC days didn't last very long once my over the road customers figured that out. Now if you don't drive your truck more than 100k over a span of 5 to 7 years, then I think the China tires might be a well suited choice for you because most manufacturers warranties are out by then anyway. FYI, most retread plants that cap tires for a living won't buy a chinese casing to cap and put in there inventory. Too many failures. Chinese casings run their 1st life pretty well, but failures are much too frequent on the first cap. Any of the big three's (michelin, bridgestone, goodyear) are known to take up to 3 caps before having to be scrapped. And in some cases offer a million mile casing warranty. A good friend of mine retreads earthmover tires. Being in the scrap tire business myself, I sell him hundreds of OTR casings a year. He rejects every single chinese tire, period. He just won't buy them for retread or section repair.

  14. #14Serv2009-01-14 09:24

    If you weren't so far away from me, I'd invite you over to my scrap tire facility for a few beers and a scrap tire analysis party. I collect over 5,000 tires a day there. The brands you mention may be the best out of china, but there are WAY too many premature casing failures out of most of the brands you mentioned. I'm talking about tires with almost new tread on them that went "pop" for no reason. Another problem with the chinese tires is warranty. Most dealers that sell them, fights the heck out of the warranty because they know they can't send the tire back to china to make it good. I've heard dealers say "Just buy another one, they're cheap." or "How do I know someone didn't put a board of nails out on the road. That's not my fault your tire blew up."

  15. #15swampdog2009-01-14 12:24

    Serv, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Chinese tires. I may need some 23.5x25 loader tires later this year and was considering the cheaper Chinese tires. While I would like radials, the price difference between bias ply and radials is huge - about 300% more for the radials. Can you or someone else recommend a good buy in the 23.5 x 25 size for the Cat 966C that does not cost an arm and a leg? My Kubota 4WD tractor has a set of U.S. made Titans, which seem very good. One did blow out when I ran over a set of deer antlers (with the skull attached) in the bush. But I can't really blame the tire for that. Also, what is your experience with Michelins or other European/US brands made in China? Do they insist on the same quality standards and controls in their Chinese plants as for their plants in other countries?

  16. #16Speedpup2009-01-14 12:34

    I have bought Goodyear tires for years for my telehandler / Lulls 13:00 & 14:00 x 24. Last year I could not get a Goodyear in a hurry and ended up with a Chinese tire:Banghead:crying The GY was back ordered but it is now made in Indonesia and not the USA. Dealer told me no non-radial tires are made in the USA anymore The Chinese tire is not old but when I rub against it it is like a piece of charcoal leaving black marks on me. It doesn't seem to wear well either. Above that have have no desire to increase are trade deficit with China as it was 23+ billion this month. I have no desire to increase the China's military power. Guess I should buy a spare and leave it in the yard. Country is going down fast as we sell it to the Chinese in products and debt we owe them. Remember rubber was more important in winning WWII than the atomic bomb let's not give another industry away.:usa

  17. #17Speedpup2009-01-14 12:43

    I would say Michelin would not let their name go down the tubes by a Chinese tire. Their name is on it so I would have more confidence vs a plain Chinese tire. When I ask wear something is made I sometimes get grief from the seller and smart remarks. That marks the end of the sale for them. I still have the right to spend my money here if it is my choice or even possible. It does get clouded now with a Bridestone made here and a GY made in Indonesia.

  18. #18liebherr11602009-01-14 13:41

    we use a tire made by Ling Long outta China...They are a crappy tire !!! ,,if they are installed backwards.. Alot of guys.. if not informed don't realise that they are a directional tire ...Installed correctly they have been matching the more prevalient name brands with no sweat..

  19. #19John C.2009-01-14 22:23

    I've seen some tires with the name of Guizhou or something like that. Anyone else run into these? Thanks for all the comments. I didn't know there were so many truck tires from China running down the road.

  20. #20HillBoy2009-01-16 19:18

    Buying cheap Chinese staff is like playing a Russian roulette -- sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes you shoot yourself (and waste your money)! The problem is that to keep the prices low, they can't afford good raw materials and quality control -- sometimes they may get lucky to get a decent product, but they can't keep getting it consistently. I can't blame them -- you get what you pay for! Cheap price means they cut something that other companies have chosen not to cut and there is probably a good reason why. We only buy good brand products -- Bridgestone, Michelin, Good Year, McLaren (they have great solid tires and rubber tracks), Craftsman, etc. They also make some of their products in Asia so their labor costs are not much different from the no-brand Chinese, but they use much better raw materials, design, quality control, customer service, etc. They cannot risk offering poor products on the market because they have a popular brand name to protect. They also invest in R&D and bring new products and ideas on the market, which benefits all. The Chinese will just try to copy them and rip the benefits, but often they’ll fail, because it is not just the look, but the ingredients that matters the most. Sorry, I had to say it all, but poor quality really bothers me – feels like been cheated, and I have been burnt a lot!!! :usa

  21. #21Greg2009-01-16 22:45

    Like everything else from china. STAY THE H--- AWAY FROM IT!!!!!!!!! Inferior quality, no warranty service etc. etc. etc. If everyone would wake up and quit buying this CRAP this country would be a lot better off. Oh ya, a corporate tax cut down from 35% to about 10% would help too.

  22. #22JGS Parts2012-04-20 20:39

    All the major brands have factorys in china now as china is the largest tire market in the world there is a few good chinese tires out there , but there is also a lot of cheaper tires , but why not just import the good qullity famous brands from china for about half the price of domestic prices well thats for aus anyways. Triangle, Double Coin/Warrior for Hitch , these are nto made by the same company in Chengsha they are made by differant companys and most of them there factorys are in shan dong in northern china .

  23. #23JGS Parts2012-04-20 20:41

    Also i just want to say for everyone sitting there and saying stop buying chinese you are killing american jobs , well firstly thats not the buyers fault that is the companys fault they just want to make more money. 2nd well in china now a lot of factorys are closing as prices of labour and everything else is rising they are going to india and other places in south east asia so all i got to say is as long as there is a fat cat at the top who wants to make big money you wont stop this.

  24. #24australian pete2012-04-21 05:28

    i use chinese triangle tyres on my quad axle float and chinese double coin drive tyres on my truck and kuhmo (korean) tyres on the steer, all wear well and are good value, i pay less for truck tyres than i did 15 years ago, chinese tyres have kept prices of all brands of tryes down.

  25. #25pafarmer2012-04-21 06:39

    I use Michelin because my Arse is worth more than a cheap set of chineese rubber........I would never mount them on ANY vehicle of mine. No freakin way !!!! my .02 !!! farmer

  26. #26jdm2012-04-21 11:16

    If it is made in China LEAVE IT IN CHINA. At least think of your own liability. If that Chinese junk fails you will pay.

  27. #27JGS Parts2012-04-21 12:12

    So whats you answer to all the CAT parts and machines made in china?

  28. #28jdm2012-04-21 13:10

    Same answer.

  29. #29Multiracer2012-04-21 13:45

    "So whats you answer to all the CAT parts and machines made in china? " My guess would be 24 hour qc inspectors with American blood coursing in their viens. Cat can afford that extra hourly wage. They get it back ten fold from us.

  30. #30RocksnRoses2012-04-21 18:47

    You are probably already driving on them, farmer. http://www.clubfrancechine.org/fr/node/39354 RnR.

  31. #31pafarmer2012-04-21 18:51

    I'll be damned !!! Well I guess I learned something today............So sad............

  32. #32blitz1382012-04-22 01:13

    Double coin is making a huge sales push in the construction and mining industries. They are trying to take advantage of Bridgestone and Michelin supply problems. A few mines I work with are running trials on them.....from everything I hear they are worth the lesser money spent.

  33. #33HillBoy2012-04-22 03:19

    Lower the US corp tax to 10-15% max, cut all the frivolous law suits (make the losing party pay for all), and let the Chinese Yuan flow freely against all currencies (not like now when it is arguably 25-30% artificially devaluated) – then I guarantee tons of factories and companies will re-open in the US. If not, then unfortunately, we’ll see less and less “Made in USA” and maybe one day, none. Sad, but it is all correctable... :IMO:drinkup

  34. #34australian pete2012-04-22 03:24

    the world is changing, not much any one can do about it other than make the best of it, i guess a lot of you guys use apple i phones and ipads, all made in china for apple by a company call foxcon.

  35. #35pafarmer2012-04-22 04:52

    Agreed.......Excellent points.............Same for you Aussie Pete...........

  36. #36JGS Parts2012-04-22 05:44

    as long as people want cheap all the jobs will go offshore and there is nothing we can do about it , really there is so much that must be changed and i dont think it is going to happen anytime soon.

  37. #37pafarmer2012-04-22 05:56

    I agree. Sadly, I don't think there is any going back to the way it once was. We are way to far gone and greed will prevent it......Big money runs the world and we are all just pawns in that game. I know I am for sure. I certaiinly don't likethe present situation in this country. I fear for future generations. I have little clue what to do about it. I run around like a fool looking for made in the USA just to find out that made in the USA doesn't really mean made in the USA.............Goood greif , We are so screwed......:Banghead

  38. #38australian pete2012-04-22 06:39

    getting a bit philosophical here, the world has been changing and evolving for thousands of years that we know of an from what i know about history our standard of living keeps rising, we are living much longer, most of us can go for holidays overseas, we drive nice cars and live in nice houses with electricity and running water, i know our economies have ups and downs however life is pretty damm good, no one starving in australia and i guess most developed countries, to sum up, life aint so bad.

  39. #39pafarmer2012-04-22 08:12

    Your absoletely correct. I have never had it better than I do today. My family and friends are doing well and as you say "Life aint so bad" .......Sounds like you and I think allot alike my Aussie friend. If you ever come to the USA , "Let me know"

  40. #40australian pete2012-04-23 05:34

    i have been to the US many times, due for another trip hopefully next year, i recently purchased a CBI grinder and want to visit the factory.

  41. #41ryerse12012-04-26 08:21

    put an astro one one side of my hoe and a firestone on the other 220 years ago astro is all weather checked firestone still in good shape

  42. #42australian pete2012-04-27 04:27

    i guess you cant complain getting 220 years out of a tyre.

  43. #43JGS Parts2012-04-27 05:09

    haha yeah was thinking the same 220 years mate must have been a good batch

  44. #44pafarmer2012-04-27 05:35

    220 years. Not bad, not bad at all........

  45. #45australian pete2012-04-28 03:39

    i want to buy some of those astro tyres.

  46. #46Giblet2012-05-01 13:23

    The difference I see in Chinese branded tires and tires branded in other compnay names but manufactured in China is that the Chinese brands have different testing procedures than their american counterparts. I work in automotive testing and see this quite often in comparisons of test specifications.

  47. #47JDOFMEMI2012-05-03 01:35

    My 14G grader has 3 Goodyear and one Chinese, I think it is a Triangle, not sure, on the drivers. I was on a rough job pioneering in a road in some rock to get trucks running. After a couple of hrs, nearly half of the tread on the Chinese tire had been peeled off to the cords. I know, I should be more careful not to spin. I was, and can't remember a time they rotated more than 1/2 turn. The tires are all L-3's, and getting pretty slick, so traction is not what it used to be. The thing about it, I could not even find a small cut, slice, scuff, or anything in thr Goodyear tires, but the other one was shredded. On the other hand, I still have one original tire from when I got the blade 12 years ago. It had 6 auction special Chinese tires on it. 1 blew out the first week on a rock I would not think twice of hitting with any tire I had ever had. It was even a front tire! so, one lasted a week, and one has lasted 12 years, with the rest somewhere in between. I would say the lack of consistent quality is one of the big problems. From the one great tire, I know they CAN build a good tire, but the others show that they don't always do it.

  48. #48Davvinciman2012-05-05 15:48

    Made me look Well, using different search engines, I have found that Michelin tires are made.............EVERYWHERE!

  49. #49Greg2012-05-05 15:56

    Which is why when you buy tires, or anything else for that matter, look at it closely before you plunk down your cash. If it says c-h-i-n-a on it turn and run the other way and run as far as your little legs will carry you as long as you can.

  50. #50JDOFMEMI2012-05-05 16:03

    Off topic slightly, but I bought some ESCO teeth for my excavator last week, and when we put them on, I noticed on the side they were made in China. That is a first, as I have always used them, and never seen them made there before. I hope they last like they used to, but I guess I will soon find out. They were no cheaper than before either.

  51. #51Captain_Kiwi2012-05-10 02:41

    I can add that we sell Mitas a little, worth it`s cost, and managed to get good prices from Michelin for small sized tires (backhoes etc) so them are competitive. But dealing with Michelin on 40"+ size - this is something like hell came true (i`ve been into discussions within two dealerships and 3 years time). No cooperation, just pressure, and ridiculous prices..

  52. #52JGS Parts2012-05-10 07:28

    Esco is now making all there teeth upto V51 size in china.

  53. #53Captain_Kiwi2012-05-10 08:54

    Off: have heard same abiut Berco, all chinese now

  54. #54Axle2012-05-13 20:39

    Well, theres your problem.. you needed a Round tire. Alex.

  55. #55JDOFMEMI2012-05-13 21:05

    You got me there! Nice little drumroll smiley there. Too bad it don't show up. At least it is clickable.

  56. #56willie592012-05-13 21:18

    Now that's just damn funny Jerry. Bah ha ha hahahahaha

  57. #57Axle2012-05-13 21:38

    For some reason the "img" tags are turned off here (even though I've got them turned on in the control panel). Glad you got a chuckle out of it. Alex.

  58. #58toomanymachines2012-05-17 15:15

    I have grown up in a tire shop that my father ran for 39 years and have run my own for the last 14 or so years now. Chinese tires have a place on both the farm and industry. North American tires are frequently not available, at any price. The chinese built tire was imported by north american businesses to fill a need. Firestone or michelin are great tires. For the farm end of things the price gap between offshore and north american has become alot smaller. Michelin is still priced higher than bridgstone or yokohama's. My father purchased direct from Michelin, and they never made any mistakes. They only built the best, they never had warranty issues because they never made a mistake. or that is what they think of themselves. They never hire staff from the industry. They hire new people and train them that thought, we only build the best and never make mistakes. It was impossible to get warranty from them. I sell alot of offshore tires to people for farm trucks 11/22.5 caps are not as great a deal as the guys will not wear a tire out but have to change it as it will not pass a safety. Any cracking and they will not pass a dot safety. The chinese tires offer a better value. Maybe chinese tires fail alot faster, and I have to agree, but when someone has to invest 10 to 40 thousand dollars on a machine that is only worth that at the best of times, they look for a cheaper alternative. I did alot of labour swapping tires and repairing for a farmer as the cost to replace all 8 trelleborgs was going to be around the 40 grand mark. I have customers with chinese farm tires that are 8 to 10 years old. I have seen goodyear and titan (who now owns goodyear farm tire division) fail in a much shorter period of time for much more money. My cost on westlake rakla tires went up 30% last year alone. If the demand is high, they may as well make more money. I have also to say that alot of the tires are being built in bran new facilities. I was told by my one sales rep that his boss went to indonisia to a factory and you could eat off the floor. If yo went to a north american facility the machines were 60 years old and sunken into the crumbling concret floor. Tires were still being built by hand, someone would walk over tot he wall and unroll a sheet of rubber, cut it iff with a knife and cary it over and place it into a mold. Not saying one way is better than the other. On a different note, I have to say that as a kid growing up only once or twice a year would I ever get a tire to balance up perfect, Now I see one every few weeks. so something is getting better. One last comment I have seen Kelly springfeild and BFG, med truck, firestone light truck, goodyear passenger and others all built in asia. You cannot assume if it is a north american name it is built in north america.

  59. #59australian pete2012-05-17 18:02

    interesting and sensible comments.

  60. #60Dualie2012-05-18 01:39

    My thoughts on highway tires are even if the major US brand manufactures the tire in asia or elsewhere they still have to stand behind the tire. A couple of years back an importer of Chinese tires was found to be selling horribly defective tires with no binding layer between the tread and the carcase. He simple declared bankruptcy and that was the end of his liability's in the matter. GOOD LUCK suing the Chinese maker of the tires if you could even find an address to serve them at.

  61. #61australian pete2012-05-18 06:49

    I guess you have to be careful where ever you do business, plenty of crooked people in Australia have done the same, they don't have to be selling Chinese tyres to be dishonest.

  62. #62Dualie2012-05-19 00:05

    My point is it would be impossible for a US or European tire manufacturer to shirk the liability from faulty tires in the same way.

  63. #63Bluetop Man2012-05-19 12:12

    How much should one expect to pay USD for a new Chinese 13.00 X 24 grader/loader tire of reasonable quality?

  64. #64toomanymachines2012-05-19 14:08

    I remember this problem. they were blowing apart at highway speeds. The farm tires I am talking about are the same brand, and they have been holding up well enough. I think they will build whatever you ask for, as cheap as you want. My truck tires that I have had good luck with are aeolus. Have not had complaints, but most of my guys are not long haul, and Canada has cooler temps not too many days of freeway speeds of 75mph at 110 degrees. 1300x24 cost me 460 - 560 canadian and I mark up 10% So what you have to pay? I find prices tend to be better in the USA. As far as warranty, Well that is why you buy from a good person (dealer) or (wholesaler). You should not have to serve someone somewhere. If you buy from a good business they will look after you. I buy from 4 different wholesalers, and one gets about 60% of my business. They look after me and the product. I have one wholesaler that is almost impossible to get any warranty out of. They say they will look after it but when it comes down to the crunch,, well it has yet to happen. Buy what you want from who you want, But as I have always found that a mom and pop business has a big vested interest in how they treat a person and want to have repeat business. They may cost a few points more, but it may be the cheapest place in the long run. This applies to tires, groceries, and everything else. I also find candian business need to learn how to respect and be more helpful to customers.

  65. #65Bluetop Man2012-05-19 16:24

    I just assumed the local tire dealer was quoting me a domestic brand in 13X24 at $500 mounted. I remember it was around 15 or 16 ply. Not necessary for my work, an eight or ten ply around $300 is what I'm looking for, with at least some semblance of quality like Gold Coin is reputed to have. Maybe I'm living in the past. The way past.

  66. #66JGS Parts2012-05-19 22:36

    I know one bloke brought in about 4 container loads of 11r truck tires into aus dumped them for what ever he could get for them i think he paid about 80USD each for them they where the biggest peace's of crap ever they where having heaps of issues and then he just left to go live in brazil lol he worked for the RTA head office.

  67. #67buckfever2012-06-04 19:44

    We just bought a 23.5-25 artic tire. It is a titan MXL and it looks like a good tire with a nice tread patter and to make it better it says MADE IN THE USA stamped right in the sidewall.