Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning corrison in a carb

1080 bobcat ยท 2011-02-27 14:21

Any ideas how to get corrison out of a carb this gas you get today corroades carbs bad when they set around. I got forklift carb this way i am trying to fix:Banghead

Replies9
  1. #1willie592011-02-27 14:32

    I'm seeing this more and more, I suspect it's due to the alcohol content in the new gas. It's not really a varnish build up like we used to see in gasoline systems, more of a gummy residue, maybe the sugars of the alcohol? I've heard folks say Sea Foam mixed in the gas helps, I also notice Sta-Bil is making an ethanol treatment additive. Lately, I've been turning off the fuel on gas engines that sit and let it run until it empties the float bowl.

  2. #2AVRMECH2011-02-27 14:45

    fuel prob. I use BARRYMAN'S B-12 CHEMTOOL FUEL TREATMENT, if you can find it.

  3. #3RobVG2011-02-27 16:32

    Always wanted to try one of these

  4. #41080 bobcat2011-02-27 18:11

    I got the carb apart but i need something to cut the corrison out of fuel bowl & jets this ethnoal corrodeds it bad. I was woundering what kind acid you would you use

  5. #5willie592011-02-27 18:25

    The best thing I've found that doesn't require you to have a hazardous material permit is Mac's #6402 in a gallon can sold at NAPA.

  6. #6DrJim2011-02-27 20:18

    For corrosion, not gum, I have used "Lime Away" in the float bowls of many small engines. I use a tooth brush (they ain't good for nothing else, are they?), and have used Q-tips in small orifices but you have to take care not to get fuzz stuck in the holes. Rinse with warm water followed by the likker of your choice--maybe some Gumout spray followed by Electromotive.

  7. #7tbone14712011-02-28 16:20

    If the corrosion is deep in the carb where you cannot reach with a brush or the cleaning agent is to viscous try hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid). I am assuming the carb is made of aluminum. The acid will dissolve the corrosion and the aluminum slightly. This is not something you do and walk away from. It may take between 5 and 15 seconds. It will dissolve the oxidized layer of aluminum and what remains will be blackish. Don't breath the fumes and be careful not to splash the acid. I have had to do this several times with different carbs on atvs due to the ethanol in the gasoline. You should do a test piece so you can see how fast it dissolves.

  8. #81080 bobcat2011-03-01 04:19

    I HAD somebody else tell me to use muriatic acid but he conot remeber if you had to dulute it.

  9. #9tbone14712011-03-01 10:35

    I use it at about 30%. It will bubble and fume but it does work great. Just don't leave it in to long or you will need a new carb.