Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning up the old poo pond

DPete ยท 2008-04-30 22:13

Not the most facinating job but I had my cam so here ya go.

Replies23
  1. #1Dirtman20072008-04-30 22:23

    I can tell you have done that before, using the dry dirt to act as a dam and and slowly plush the entire pile to the end without plowing stright thru and making a flippin mess. Good job. We play in the mud too!

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-04-30 22:25

    Nice, I love jobs like that, then I pay some kid $20 to clean out the undercarriage!

  3. #3DPete2008-04-30 22:40

    Exactly right, just keep moving the berm. There's a pump at the other end to pump out what we can.

  4. #4Dirtman20072008-04-30 22:54

    What's the pond used for? Do you have to take out all the muck with the kobelco?

  5. #5DPete2008-04-30 23:03

    It's a dairy pond for cow poo, After we get as much water pumped off as possible we'll let it dry so the dairyman can get it with his loader. His problem from then on, I'm just helping with the D8 it was there from digging a new pond

  6. #6Cat287B2008-05-01 06:57

    Looks like a good place not to break down. How deep was the poo when you started? How soon till it needs cleaning again? Pete

  7. #7tonka2008-05-01 07:49

    Hey D Pete where is that at in cen cal?

  8. #8DPete2008-05-01 09:32

    Never got in the poo, the hoe cleaned a landing for me at the other end down to dirt approx 35 ft. long,then built a berm from a stockpile of good dirt, then I got in and started moving the berm, let the berm move the poo. Tractor was on solid ground from the start. Job is South of Merced on Hwy 99

  9. #9bear2008-05-01 22:14

    I'll bet theat reeks. :throwup Nothing worse than cow poo that's been fermenting for a long time except maybe pig poo. woof blah blark

  10. #10EZ TRBO2008-05-02 07:03

    A job is a job, somtimes not the sweetiest smelling ones but as long as it pays go for it. I've been there before, 312 CAT and 6 slurry spreaders cleaning up saw dust bedding from 7 years worth in the bottom of a 5 million gallon lagoon. took quite a while to get the machine cleaned up good. Trbo

  11. #11CatSkinner77V2008-05-02 17:13

    We did the same thing with a human waste lagoon east of Portage La Prairie MB last summer. Its amazing the things you see in the "muck", people flush just about anything down the shitter. lol

  12. #12stretch2008-05-03 10:35

    Well, let's see...Q-tips, a Speed Stick, a plastic cup...that's what we've found down our sewers, usually after a bad clog. Thanks for the pics, love the older Cats! :usa

  13. #13bear2008-05-03 11:31

    I get that but my stomach can only take so much anymore. Hard to get anything done hangin off the machine barffing. Didn't used to bother me. cow poo still don't but some things woof!

  14. #14RonG2008-05-03 15:12

    When I uncover a system to do repair work my standard comment to the crew is "I think that's someone I know"LOL.Ron G

  15. #15AtlasRob2008-05-03 15:57

    Nice job Pete. As stated by Dirtman " I can tell you've done that before" there is nothing like experience, I wouldnt have wanted to dig those tracks out afterwards either. but I bet there are a lot of youngsters ( and not so young )who would still be chasing that slop up and down

  16. #16D6c10K2008-05-03 23:10

    Nice pics....working around cow poo doesn't sound too bad...pigs are worse. Nastiest thing I've run into is when we do survey work in landfills and have to open the tops of monitoring wells or leech holding tanks...you definitely want to stay upwind of those!

  17. #17SKP 4282008-05-04 03:26

    I bet the guy that had to clean the dozer was not happy

  18. #18AtlasRob2008-05-04 16:12

    No, you missed the point SKP. If you look carefully, Pete has built a dirt wall and by pushing the wall a bit at a time he can move all the **** without getting any on the dozer.:notworthy EXPERIENCE :thumbsup

  19. #19bobcat ron2008-05-04 16:31

    Cow manure is no problem for me to work in, but it's the chicken manure that's the worst, get that into the tracks when it's wet and I can hear the track links corroding away.

  20. #20woodchuck22008-05-08 16:04

    Nice job keeping clean at a crappy job, who cares if it pays the bills. Cant always have a gravy job. At least the burm didnt break away on yah, then it would miller time!!

  21. #21bigblueox2008-05-08 20:42

    i've got one better. try pig. that stink just won't come off!

  22. #22bobcat ron2008-05-08 22:01

    Yeah piggy poo I won't get close to, but it does wonders on my nasal cavities when I have a head cold though.

  23. #23RollOver Pete2008-05-09 01:34

    Its the corn colonels and sesame seeds that let you know that you're in some deep poo :throwup