Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Closed center or open center Hydraulics – How to tell? JCB 217S

Piston ยท 2022-04-08 15:46

I have a pending purchase on a '94 JCB 217S, which I believe is also called a "4CX" if I'm not mistaken. I'm already looking into adding a hydraulic thumb to it, not surprisingly. My question is, how can I tell if the hydraulic system is open center or closed center? I need to know this in order to figure out how I'll add the hydraulics. In the past I've just googled the machine hydraulic specs, but I can't seem to find hardly anything on these earlier year JCB's online.

Replies5
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-04-08 16:43

    pretty sure it is open center

  2. #2Delmer2022-04-08 16:50

    Assuming it's open center, you'd search for the power beyond parts to add to the valve. That will show whether it's open center or not.

  3. #3Piston2022-04-09 15:46

    Okay I see what your saying, so to confirm it, if it was closed center then the valves would NOT have a power beyond port right?

  4. #4John C.2022-04-10 12:10

    Ritchie Specs shows the hydraulic system for a 217S has two gear pumps which would mean the system is open center hydraulics.

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-04-10 13:47

    PM me your email address if you need the service manual.