Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clunk when shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa

Steven Wincentsen · 2022-08-07 10:54

My Dresser TD8H LGP has developed a clunk when shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. It sounds like the cluck goes through the whole drive train. I could not hear the clunk when wearing hearing protection but noticed it when pulling it back in the shed. I had just been using the dozer in some less then ideal situations building a road in area that had a lot of basketball sized rocks that the wide tracks did not like. However, I always use the decal pedal. The foot pedal breaks are not awesome so I’m sure I prematurely shifted a few times between directions. I am hoping that its just due for u joints on the drive shaft? Thoughts……….

Replies7
  1. #11693TA2022-08-07 13:24

    That would be the first place I'd look.

  2. #2John C.2022-08-07 14:07

    I've usually been able to feel them more than hear them. Hopefully the problem is not something inside something.

  3. #3doublewide2022-08-07 14:44

    Pins and bushings worn? No longer fit snug in the sprockets? “Pin slap” when you change directions.

  4. #4Steven Wincentsen2022-08-09 22:07

    The pin bushings / sprokets are almost brand new. However, I just tightened the tracks before my last use. Would having the tracks too tight cause this noise? I left a small amount of sag in the tracks but did mot measure with a straight edge.

  5. #5John C.2022-08-10 00:10

    A clunk that you can feel I couldn’t say would be caused by slop in the tracks.

  6. #6Steven Wincentsen2022-11-25 22:45

    Ended up be nothing more then track slop

  7. #7FWD2022-11-27 18:16

    That's good to hear! FWD