cold starting, glow plugs or not, 91' 580super k, cummings eng. Recently purchased a 91 580 super k, weather has been warm here. Hit a cold snap approximately 25 degrees and it didn't want to start. When i turned thr switch on i didn't notice the glow plug light. I had to hit her with ether. How can i tell if its got glow plugs or not, what method would i use to start? I dont have operator's manual. What am i missing here????? This was an older thread. I had several replies now i have some pictures and more questions. im posting 3 pics. I have a cav pump leaking, the only place i can find the leak at is the fuel solenoid shut off. There is a 5/16 screw or bolt???? That appears to go through the solenoid. There's also a wire that attaches to the solenoid. I tightened the screw at one point and it stopped leaking for a while.but if you look at the pics closelythe solenoid looks like a pipe thread that screws into the cav. I never removed the screw so i am not sure what the screws purpose is??? i have an ink pen pointed to the shut off. Question is can it leak from the screw? What is the screw purpose? question 2- the other 2 pics do you see an intake heater on the manifold? Forgot to use pen as pointer but is the round thing with the 2 wires an intake heater?
The 5/16 bolt holds only a terminal tab on the solenoid, ifr the sender is leaking it probably has a failed o ring at the joint where it screws into the pump body. Are the battrerys and cables in good shape, the K's were not a bad starting machine but people sub in substandard batteries. Any diesel needs to turn briskly to start when cold. If possible I would install a block heater in one of the freeze plugs above the starter, that is much preferable to using ether, I have seen way to many engines damaged by ether to the point where they become difficult to start without it. The block heaters as supplied from Case have a toggle that goes into the block and pulls the heater into place as an allen screw in the center of the plug tightened. Your first question, that is a switch to turn a filter indicator light on in the dash when the filters are restricted.
Melben in the 2nd pic, what is the object that is elelen o'clock from the fuel filter that has 2 wires plugged into it? I did replace my battery today, but it was already 50 degrees so it fired right up. Are you saying that i need to completely screw the shut off out of the cav pump. Or Replace the solenoid or is there an o ring that can be replaced. I have already rebuit the top half of the cav pump that has the 2 little o rings and the gasket.
That is a filter indicator switch, there is a dash lite to tell you when the filter is plugged and causing a pressure drop in the intake manifold. THe very lates CDC engines had a grid type heater that fit on top of the intake manifold where the rubber intake hose from the filter attaches, you have no manifold preheater. The thing you are pointing to is the fuel shutoff solenoid, that whole assembly screws out of the pump and has an oring at the thread base, theres a rubber tipped plunger and a spring so remove carefully and DO NOT remove it without cleaning that area thoroughly. Dealers have a special 12 point crowsfoot to use with a 3/8th drive ratchet and extension to make it much easier to remove.
thanks I appreciate the advice
You said you replaced the battery, not batteries. If you only have one battery, that's probably your problem. Sks came stock with 2 batteries, but there was a warm climate option with one battery. I can tell you from experience that one sold in Miami with one battery won't start in a coastal SC winter, much less Tn.
I don't disagree Mitch, a Cummins 4-390 works far better with two group 31 batteries. We have a Gradall and a Genie telehandler lift, both with a 4-390 with a single group 31 battery, and they both struggle to crank and start on a cold morning. Two batteries with damn good heavy cables is far better. And let's not forget the starter, those Bosch starters on those engines are notorious for sucking mega amps from the batteries when they get some age to them, those engines need to have a good cranking starter to fire off good.
I still can't believe Case never sold machines in the US with glow plugs. Here we get Euro spec machines that have them fitted from factory. I might add that, with our warmer climate, most are removed from machines as they seem to have fuel leakage problems both external & internal into the intake. We do get the same problems with older Bosch starters not cranking fast enough. I always replace them with a reduction drive Nippondenso (Cummins pt # 3957594) - they work fantastic, even with a single battery.
That's interesting alrman, I've never seen a 4-390 fitted with one of those. That looks a lot like one of those Thermostart gizmos that Perkins engines have.
Yeah, I've never seen that, either.