Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 5500 tachometer

Scooby340 ยท 2014-11-20 22:32

Hello All, I need to replace the tachometer on my 5500 hoe. It is a diesel engine. When I did a search using the original Ford part number, an aftermarket one came up. The seller instructions said to "be sure about the speed ratio" of the engine. Either a "one to one, or one to 2..... I have no idea what the speed ratio is on my Ford. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I have bought several tachs over the years for my street cars and never had to worry about that. Maybe cause they were electronic and not cable driven??? I want to make sure I get the right tach, so any info would be greatly appreciated!!! THX..

Replies3
  1. #1El Hombre2014-11-20 23:11

    I have a 5550, the tach drive is off the back of the fuel injection pump on mine. There was a drive key missing when I got it, so I just put an hour meter in the dash to keep track of hours. Does your cable go there, or to the back of the generator? The injection pump is geared to the engine, so only one ratio there. Generator they can vary the pulley size so you might see more than one ratio. You really don't need a tach, the engine only runs between 600 and about 2400 rpm. It sounds distressed if you really rev the hell out of it..

  2. #2jimg9842014-11-21 07:46

    you may have a broken cable/cables my 555a has 2 cables I replaced instrument cluster from ebay it was a $101.00 at that time be careful to note which way the nettle swings before buying...the engine 1675 rpms for 1 hour ====1 clock hour this per mfg specs ford only sells cable with housing $100.00 ouch can get cable from NAPA for around $8.oo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tracto...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item3a9ac3f84d

  3. #3Scooby3402014-11-21 23:12

    Thanks guys for the replies..The original tach and cable are long gone. On mine, the tach drive is coming out where the distributor would be, on the left side of the engine, near the oil filter.... I would rather put a tach in because that is the way it came. I am trying to restore it to original as I can. I am also going to put an hour meter in the engine compartment so I can keep track of the hours also.... I am going to keep searching, plus I got Rustfarmer on the case!!!!:notworthy