I'm looking at a about 1970 to 73 D5 with the head off, unprotected cylinders. It is owned by a wrecker who also has another motor. If anyone has changed one of these; How tough is it? Is there any stupid mistakes I can avoid? Does the t.c. come out with the motor does it have to be barred over to remove? Basic procedure ( probably the same as a D6 or D8)?. The machine is in nice shape and I can probably get the "kit" for good price, just not sure I want to buy another job. Thanks; John
A 1970 to 1975 D5 could have either a D333 or 3306 depending on the serial no. of the machine. Either motor will work in place of the other, but not many parts will work on each other. The turbo, injection pump, injectors, water pump, head, block will not interchange. The starter, alternator, manifold will work. You can change out the motor in a day with no problem. The torque converter comes out with the motor and are very simple to work on.
Hey RKO ; Thanks for the info. I have changed out a few things in my day but never a cat with a torque converter. Seems like not a lot of guys have, they must hold up pretty good. Thanks again; John
D5 stuff D5's are not Born with a Torque Converter stuck on the end of the flywheel, its built into the transmission, on the back of the flywheel is rubber drive coupings for a power-shift, plus Turbo chargers are not fitted to these engines in non High Drive units, well I have not seen any ??? tctractors
Hi Tctractors; So the motor once unbolted from the bellhousing will just slide out? and putting it back requires a course alignment and it will slide right back in? thanks; john
Just undo the engine mount bolts, they are on the frame sides, whip off the drive couplings 4 in number, it's about the most straight forward engine to remove from a Cat, no turbo, no torque to fiddle with, get stuck in. tctractors
Thanks for the info. sounds pretty straight forward guess I'll give it a go. Thanks again, John