Just got in from plowing snow all night. Gotta get rid of all this snow and ice, and get some gravel moving. I'm on here more than the wife is on Facebook. I was dropping my box blade and getting ready to park my loader, and I caught a peek at my grader parked beside the 980M. All I could see was the top of the bag over the exhaust, and the top 2 feet of the cab. She's not moving for a while I guess. Come on May
Screw that. I just put a new starter in my boat an hour ago. I was sweating my ass off. It is already 85 here with a 'real feel' of 92.
It was -13F here this morning, Glad it's starting to warm up.
How come we have a "like" but no "dislike" no "hate with a passion " or the ever popular, "I'm so goddamn jealous, you suck!"
I truly feel for ya' it must be awful to have to put up with weather like that...
I have to "put up" w/ warm weather AND RAIN.. cant get out & enjoy the nice warm weather.. & the friggin roller coaster weather.. 70* then 50* over & over.. My electric bill was less than 100.00.. I don't know how THAT happened?? I have to turn the a/c on during the day & the heat on at night..
We've had snow on the ground since November 1. It looks like the town has given up on having 2 full lanes of road and anyone with any kind of loader is in demand. I used my excavator to move snow at the neighbor's house but the steel tracks on the thick, glare ice was just too exciting to do it again !
It's this funky weather 2 feet of snow, then above freezing and rain right away then down into the deep freeze again. They bid for 14 storms, and we've been out 16 times. On the plus side, it's great for snowmobiling.
Haven't had enough snow here to even get a sled out this year. Plenty of cold weather just no white stuff. Time to get a place up north.
we just had 2 inches of snowfall In Phoenix plus a couple inches of rain It's been raining off and on for the last three months and right now its dang cold for this desert boy I am ready for summer
We had 2 days were it almost melted off then it snowed agin.Its raining now so tomorrow could be more ice. I think spring is a long ways off.
Allegedly, it's just around the corner. I don't believe it. It'll warm enough to take your jacket off, then its sniffles and coughs.
Splitting wood tomorrow, 1/2" of rain on the way.....***? Guess I'll float the firewood out. Ed
I am going back in Monday... thankfully. I was about start eating the plasterboard off the wall out of frustration.
Besides the plowing snow, the hauling snow, the shoveling snow, watching snow, and some snow shoeing, I won't get back untill the spring weight restrictions lift around the middle of May.
18 deg here with 9deg wind chill, after spending the week in the shop with mid 40 outside temps I wanted to get out and piddle with the new to us motorhome. But, that's not happening right now.
I have so much to do around the house, I don't wanna do any of it. To hell with all this cold damp wet garbage. I know some of you plow guys are making terrific money, and that's great. I'm just through with all this.
Feels like spring is coming up here, it's been a pretty mild winter for us, had one week of -30c but below normal snow fall, about 3ft total, last year we had over 8ft! It's sunny and -5c today, tee shirt weather! Last year's snow was a bit much, I had to use the 790 a dozen times to widen the driveway and pile, this year we also have 3" of ice under the snow. It's a special kinda feeling when your skating 50000lbs downhill and have the cleanup bucket on!
Same here in the charlotte nc area only problem is it isnt exactly warm , and the last 5 months of rain is getting old , i stay busy being the truck mechanic but when the grading crews get to actually work they are working early till as late as they are allowed just to try and make a dent in lost time , truck are working earlier and later then normal also which makes it difficult to get there write ups fixxed
Got out to the motorhome and fired the heaters, puttered a bit inside familiarizing myself with things, now its upper 30's and sunny. Back out to check out outside stuff. Woohoo.
16 more inches tonight, and 5 tomorrow
Lol.. I JUST got back in from cutting the grass.!!! 2nd or 3rd time since December..
Just for variety, its snowing here again.
I went out at 8:45 this morning to play a round of golf. It was 75 degrees and 85% humidity. Screw spring, when is fall going to be here.
I just got in from getting my slowmobile stuck 1/2 mile up the property, bit too much powder for breaking trail with a heavy 2 up sled, now it's beer o clock then out to shovel and retrieve! Beautiful day though, sunny and -10c, I was out looking for tracks, see what critters are hanging around. Not sure if I'd trade this for sweating my bag off mowing the grass...
sun shinin wind blowin water runnin 60deg. spring has`nt sprung but it tripped today
Yep, same here in the tacoma area... think it'll melt then freeze tonite....
70's yesterday, 30's at nite & woke up to 39* @ 7am.. gonna be in the mid 60's.. everybody I know has the "sniffles".. its some crazy weather, that's fer sure..
You are killin' me!
Tired of bitching about the cold.....I want to complain about mowing the grass 2 times a week. Ed
11 hours plowing yesterday. Brought the loader home and cleaned my self out. Went out last night and did some clean up. Came home at 3am and they had went around the subdivision and winged back the banks. Love shoveling snow in the middle of the night
Spring must be on it's way because the road bans went on today and w e have a good crop of frost heaves popping up. Seems like people have given up trying to see around the snowbanks : they just pull right out !!
Its barely in the double digits this week. Next week dosent look much better its going to go negative some nights. They say that the air comeing off the snow miles away is going to make it cold for alot longer to come.
All vehicles should have safety whips when the snowbanks are that high, people are nuts but atleast then you could see their little flag coming! Haha
The flag is a great idea ! But I'm afraid the snowbanks are too tall. My idea is to take a self contained backup camera/monitor and put the camera on a bracket on my front liscence plate looking left. Might even see a turn signal with it... if people still use those...
They do. Unfortunately they usually just have them on when not actually planning on turning.
I used to plow city streets with an old 14E with 16 foot one way plow on the front. Some buildings were right on the street. A grader is long enough without that big plow sticking out. I used to edge out and hope someone would see the little piece of reflective tape on the left corner and stop
I see this morning that one of the frost heaves took out someone's oil pan. Wonder if they will slow down next year ? Got my camera going
Haven't had a reall snowfall here since November...had nothing but a couple inches here and and there and then freezing rain on top to really make things miserable the last couple of months, March shows up and we got a few inches of snow(not much at all compared to most of you fellas) and tonight supposed to get 6 or so more inches. Mother Nature is confused or just doesn't like us, I want the frost and snow gone.....
More blippity bleep bleeping snow! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!
It's just got finished raining all night here, Its been 70's during the day and 50's at night, not bad weather. It never got terribly cold, I think 3 weeks of heavy jackets. I'm just glad we didn't get snow like last year. I kind of like the cold weather, no grass to cut and no misquotes, also less people trying to get you to fix stuff for free
Winter/spring in so cal. Oh, that M isn't snow.
Moreno Valley?
Yes sir. The "M" trail in box springs reserve. https://www.rivcoparks.org/wp-content/uploads/BoxSpringsTrailMap.jpg
We may be headed to the reserve again in an hour or 2. No work today as the site willing to take our dirt is too muddy.
When It does start to thaw out our gravel road is going to be a disaster, it's solid potholes now because the gravel is shot, the binder is gone...once the frost starts to come out, it'll really go to crap. You know the road is bad when school busses, the ups truck & fedex slow down. lol. The township has already agreed to re-gravel, sadly that won't happen until summer.... Ed
They sure do seem to have a lot of trouble with their gravel roads in Michigan for some reason. Is it poor maintenance or just lack of funds to keep after them.
Likely it's the sub surface. If it pumps, the gravel will only hold up so well, especially when wet. My guess would be a lot of clay and runoffs.
I agree but I would have thought they would have taken this into consideration at the onset.
I doubt it for gravel roads. Quick and cheap is the name of the gravel road.
I'm getting sick of this nasty cold weather. I'm ready for spring.
I got sunburned today playing a round of golf. It is getting difficult to hold on to the clubs with sweaty hands as well. When is it going to be fall again?
It was 81* here in SC..
Well, you guys suck dirty socks, so there! Autocorrect strikes again
Was it really that hot yesterday? I knew it was warm for sure but not hot maybe low humidity? Right now its currently 68 degrees fahrenheit and 51% humidity and 85% chance of rain on me
5 inches last night. Kind of a rain snow mix right now. Calling for a lot of rain this week. Better get the sump pumps ready just in case. On the plus side, I just ordered my garden seeds.
As wet as it is getting today we are canceling the seeds... going to order trout eggs.
don`t forget the inflatable boats
They legalized pot here last fall. Apparently I'm aloud to grow 4 plants. I was thinking I might try growing it. I don't smoke it myself, but I could always give it away.
I try not to get around it at all, the company I work for drug tests. I agree might be fun to putz around with growing.
I have been putting this dump in to use a a lay down for onsite fab we have to do. Not too big probably a squeak less than an acre. Started from the front, knew we had ton of snow coming. Exaggerated the drainage to the point it looks like a down hill course put a lift in had the truck wheel roll it and repeat. I still have some of the finest mud in the land after several weeks of single and or no digit freeze, 2 feet of snow over two weeks. If I can't get it to come around, look for "Mother Deuce's Organic Beauty Mud" coming to a store near you!
So it's been like this?
I like watching old videos like that. Thanks for sharing
LOL well it was 40 today so the I had lots of water and fortunately I wasn't being pursued by cows looking for lunch!
Have you got cannibal cattle or cabin fever. You are supposed to pursue cows for lunch ie steaks
This afternoons view out the shop backdoor. It's not getting better soon. Forecast says possibly 6 more inches tonight.
I wish I had a cam/phonr mount on my hard hat. I was wrestling an excavator for bits of baby eucalyptus trees, with the clamshell of a skip loader, for an hour or so today. It was amusing.
Looks oddly familiar in a snow covered sloppy wet sort of way.
Had Turkeys in the field this am, several Toms were strutting already.... Ed
I JUST got back from the General Store.. picked up a trunk full of veggie plant to go in the garden.. I have a little more prep work to do in the soil in the next few days before they can go in..
I used the CAT to dig thru 3-4 feet of snow at the low side of my house to make sure water doesn't back up behind the ice.
I cut a cord and a half of firewood today. It should be just fine come October when it is cool enough to burn it.
We just went through the coldest Feb. in the last 40 years. Lots 0f -30C temperatures and a lot of snow. Out at my property the snow is about 18" deep everywhere. I've cleared the driveway a few times but last Sat. had to take the cat to make a path around the oval track. Skid steer wouldn't go too far but a lot of the reason is because earlier in the winter the weather was crazy. Would snow a bunch, then warm up and melt, then snow a bunch and melt. There's a sheet of ice under everything. We're getting decent weather finally, I just hope it doesn't get real warm real fast so it floods everything because the water has nowhere to go.
I went and measured the snow on a pickup cap that's on 4x4s on a flatbed trailer ( 34" deck ht.). My snowshoes were more than 36" above the ground and the snow on the cap was 40". Going to be interesting when ( if ? ) it melts.
And a pic of the back of the trailer that has 4 ten foot kayaks lying crossways.
Well, I'm gonna hafta wait on putting the plants in the garden.. it went from 81* to 61* to 50 & now the lows are in the low30's.. till the middle of next week.. Oh Well.. I guess I just keep the plants watered & warm till then.. {dam weatherman!!}
Last year we had all the Dahlia starts (several hundred) in racks on heating pads in the back bedroom... errrgh uh "greenhouse" for several months before we could move them outside. Had good results though.
This is what t I'm waking up to.
Were down to about 4 inches on the ground roads are clear... not snowing here finally. Was thinking about possibly about taking the studs off the car. However just the thought of that usually creates a blizzard.
Dont think it then. Its been up and down for the last week, thought we turned a corner till I woke to this ugliness. In all fairness, I like snow. On Christmas morning. Maybe a couple of weeks through the winter. This, this is getting old.
Here these will cheer you up LOL
An SS Malibu wagon? Not into modern Chevy, but that's awesome. Those are some incredible pictures. Thanks. Now on an even uglier note, I was just reading what they have going on in Nebraska & south Dakota. Flooding along the Missouri . It looks and sounds like it is out of control. Hoping for everyone's safety.
That is really bad. I was reading that last night. Could be bad down stream from that dam. Hopefully there was some warning.
On my Google home page they've been talking about it all week. Even with all the warnings in the world, I don't think anyone can prepare or be ready for what mother nature has up her sleeve at any given time.
It was in the upper 50s yester day today it maybe just as good. I worked till noon and went to the farm i got alot of stuff done cleaned up and moved stuff that needed it bad. It felt like i got more done in one after noon than i had all winter.
Snow is gone...road is like driving thru a B-52 carpet bomb zone. Now the frost is coming out, this won't end well. Ed
Living that right now too.
The streets in town have come apart were they were patched before. Down the road from the farm there is a guys place were all his runoff dosent go in the ditch but runs in the road its dryed up but the holes are so bad a pickup has to come to a stop and creep throw it.
Today I ran the A/C in my pickup while looking at the snow in the fields. Strange.
I'm getting right finished with bringing wood into the basement and loading the stove. Too much snow this year to drive around the bush with the backhoe and now that it is starting to melt everything is turning into a swamp.
Suprise, suprise, suprise! Dave came by tonight with the blade and graded the road on his way home. Won't last but it's 110% better. Thanks Dave! Ed
The roads are so bad in Illinois they have stopped patching them and they just put up signs everywhere saying "rough road".
Can't fix bridges, how can you patch roads?
I74 West of Peoria it says "rough road 15 miles, do not change lanes". Similar sign on I39 South of Rockford. It was so rough in Rockford last week I almost lost a deckboard on the rollback. I had to stop and throw a bungee cord over it.
And the signs cost more than the road repair . LOL
And little lord fatboy (governor) is holding infrastructure improvements hostage to ram his pet projects through first. This fat basturd is the worst.
Lol.. "Sign's".. Reminds me of SC.. instead of fixin the roads, they just put up a sign.. "BUMP".. & they cant even put THAT up right.. by the time u read it, you've hit the "BUMP".. & spilled your beer all over your pants.. Lol..
He's got a long line of "the worst" to compete with!
Definately getting warmer, going to put the beer back in the fridge instead of the un-heated part of the shop. Ed
The town or the state, whoever is taking care of one of our worst roads, has started filling between the frost heaves with crushed gravel. Some years they dump it and use a grader. Not that bad this year. Spring must be getting closer.
Snow took a beating on Sunday. It was plus 16 or 60. Calling for a foot Wednesday. Hope they didn't take the snow tires off my loader
So they did take the snow tires off my loader. Makes me wonder how I ever got by without them. On the plus side, the temps are on the plus side. I see parts of Newfoundland got 40 to 50cm or 16 to 20 inches the other day. The long range forecast is calling for a week of rain, so good bye snow, hope the ice runs smoothly without flooding. Had my spring safety orientation this week, first aid in 2 weeks. The province is putting out 0 paving jobs this year, and no funding, so I doubt there will be any paving of city streets this year. Even if they do, competition will be tight as other contractors seem to be willing to work for nothing if there is no work in their area. Hope there are lots of people wanting their driveways paved this year. Come on spring.
It's in the 80s here. Was 91 on monday. I can't even imagine having a 6 month season with no work. I'm praying for your spring as well.
91, geez thats a hazy memory nearly all of our snow is gone now though.
Snow isn't gone in northern New Hampshire. South facing slopes are getting bare but there is still a couple feet of snow in the woods. Had to move snow piles to find places to stack firewood.
I am south of you... but not so far as to have the gun laws go stupid LOL!
I spent the better part of last week planting veggies in my garden.. I had to stop several days in a row around 2 m because of the heat.. Spring has sprung in the South..
There is always a risk of frost here until the new moon in June. No tender plants till then
Spring weight restrictions normally start in the middle of March, and run till around the 20th of May. A few jobs might go on before that but you can't move any big machinery before the restrictions lift. Larger projects can run all winter. Just depends on how much frost, and snow. Paving season runs from May till it gets too cold in November. My grader sits from then until May.
Wow! That's a ton of down time. Do you do rejuve spraying as well? If they have heavy haul restrictions, my guess would be they spray the AC to make it stay more flexible at least once a year. That stuff is good money.
Never heard of it. The frost can go into the ground pretty deep in winter. Since the roads are plowed, they have more exposure to the cold. Once the ground starts to thaw, the material under the pave gets wet then freezes at night. The pave starts to heave from the thawing and freezing. We can scale a lot more weight in Canada then you guys I'm told. I once spoke to a couple of American driver's on the ferry to Prince Edward Island. We figured out that I could legally haul their load plus their truck and wagon. Could be why our roads are in such bad shape
Ya, in wet, snowy areas here, they use an ac reconditioning spray that puts soybean oil back into the dry tar of the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the road. Helps prevent cracking because the wet and cold sucks the oils out of the ac. In those climates, it makes it worth it since they get 5-10 more years out of new ac. Where I am, it's considered an unnecessary expense because it's almost always dry. They use a GPS controlled agriculture sprayer system to lay it down even.
Ok, never heard of it. I thought you meant that crap they go around telling people is driveway sealer. They cut it with diesel and spray it on your asphalt. We use fuel to clean up tools after paving, so imagine what it does to your driveway. Years ago they would lay ten inches of pave on a road, but now the high traffic roads get five and a half and secondary roads get three and a half. Not a lot considering we do two and a half in a driveway. They claim that for every inch of pave, gives you a year without cracking. They want you to compact it so much that the roller almost cracks it anyway.
Haha, ya.... it's similar, just different ingredients. I went on a demo for a city close by. Its citrus degreaser with soybean oil in it. Likely literally the same with cleaner ingredients. I would guess it's the same concept, but non hazardous(and likely an arm and a leg more expensive).
Yeah, when the gypo(or even some of the big guys) guys around here say they'll give you two inches you're lucky to get one....
This girl, she's got the right idea
I was visiting my sister in Ontario, and one of her neighbors were getting their driveway done. I watched the guys tear out the old driveway and make ready for new pave. Guy on the skid steer did an awsome job. Then 4 guys raked a trench down both sides, about 2 inches deep and 6 inches wide. Thought they were doing a 4 inch thickening at the shoulder. Never saw that before. When they paved, I checked it and it was 3 and a half inches. Same company did my sister's spot the next summer. Her estimate told her a minimum thickness of 3.5 inches. I told her what they did to the neighbors, so when they started raking out the edges, told the white hat, I know what you're doing. Do you want me to tell the neighbors they only have half the asphalt they paid for in their driveway? They raked their trench back in. She told the guy she knew it was 3 and a half rolled and she would be checking the sides and she ha d a 12 foot straight edge for the center.
We demo a lot of old driveways/parking lots and it's all over the place what some companies will put down.... or not put down Some of the guys around here will do what they call a 'pie crust fix' they come in and rip out or grind about an inch more or less then just put a new inch(more or less) back in..... no digging to fix the soupy/pumpy spots in the subgrade or anything like that...
We do recaps If someone just wants to freshen up the look, or slight wear or light cracks. Small ruts or low spots get padded in then 1.5 inch cap is added. If the asphalt is all gone to pot, it's priced for digout, undercut the soft spots, cloth if needed refill, regrade compact and repave as per agreement. Our crushed gravel is a byproduct of our asphalt aggergate so it's basically waste, so no one complains if I go over on the crushed.