Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

compact loader vs skid steer

barklee ยท 2010-07-27 22:24

This question has probably been asked before but im going to ask again... Why are compact loaders more popular in Europe than skids? It seems there are obvious pros and cons to each machine but i would like to hear a die hard loader operators opinion. I have never ran a compact loader so i have no idea what they are all about, i was hoping someone could explain thanks

Replies57
  1. #1Digger Dan2010-07-28 00:13

    Funny that, I have been considering the same, I would like to have a skidsteer cause I know how they operate, fit on jobsites but I have been interested in the Kubota 420 sized for awhile now... wonder what advantages it would have over a skidsteer if any... How are the small loaders at snow removal?

  2. #2heavylift2010-07-28 02:02

    i'll pick a ctl any day over wheels....all weather capable.... wheels you may get 180 days to work a year... but those tracks will go 365 days if you wanted... and you'll get yea... nay on both sides... Snow... I ran a 247 cat... for snow removal... with a tooth bucket.... just cause it works better for me... snow I prefer the tracks... grading slabs with sand.... well the laborer can almost stand and watch when using a tracked machine... the low ground pressure tears up less so you working.. LESS... Wear on the tracks ... well it depends on how you treat the machine.... 1st set when I was the only operator...1900 hours.... then after the machine left for everyone to use 1100 hours.... when they bought it they were told to expect 1000 hour for the track.. I ran the thing on every surface your can think of... from asphalt ... concrete ... spreading rock ... sand .... tensar rock... even built crane pads with 4" rock.... broken concrete... Auger cast piling clean-up... that ctl is the more better than the bestest machine for the job... they glide right over all the hoses that are used... when running back and forth cleaning the spoils... they will spin on a dime... but that just weasr stuff out quicker whether they're tracks or wheels WELL there's my Dimes worth...

  3. #3heavylift2010-07-28 02:10

    read it wrong... I read it as compact track loader ... little loaders have their place ... but for the size I would I would still pick a ctl I think we had the littlest Volvo rented once... it's bucket wasn't much bigger than the247... the only advantage ... it loaded trucks a bit easier.. that's about 2 cent for the little loaders

  4. #4shooterm2010-07-31 17:19

    Compact loaders are better for the logistic side of a job. Forklift operations, short moves, site trailer transport. I used to blow them of as worthless tell I started using them at my new job. CTLs for a construction company with alot of equipment get lost in the tweener spot. I'd much rather have a wheeled two speed skid for everything but final dirt grading for seeds and sand work. Instead of driving through the mud with a ctl you should consider fixing it first.

  5. #5powerjoke2010-08-01 12:28

    are you talking about a rubber tracked skid steer or a Small track loader like a 939 Caterpillar? EDIT: I just realized this was in the compact wheel loader thread so im guessing that your talking about something like a 904 vs a 256 or S300 etc? and although im not in eruope I hope that I can still answer the Question....the reason I dont have one is simply because of the cost and the used availablity of them. I would like to have one for snow work and light jobsite stuff but it's not going to compete with a 928 or 924 etc. when it comes to loading trucks Pj

  6. #6KSSS2010-08-02 10:20

    I have run the Takeuchi compact loader and the CASE 321D. I really like them. Great visibility, very comfortable. I think there is a place for them, its just that for me they are way too expensive and they are not quite as good at multi tasking as a skid steer. So they cost more, harder to keep busy but dam they are sexy.

  7. #7therealjohnboy2010-08-04 09:38

    i ran a TCM 810a for around 3000hrs it was a great work horse lighter footprint than a skid as in it didnt tear up turf etc could lift near on 2 ton and was just as fast as a wheeled skid. I went from that to T190 for the multi tasking ability plus wheeled loaders dont handle poor traction like a skid but they also ride great saving your body. they are ideal in landscape yards where loading and shifting is the key role as for why Europe is more into them ?? not sure I guess its a case of how the job has always been done by loaders so small job = small loader

  8. #8therealjohnboy2010-08-04 09:42

    I got 3500 hours out of the tyres and they were only 50% but put fresh ones on for a winter contract it had 5000hrs on it when I sold it and they still were around 85%

  9. #9nickbowers2010-08-04 19:28

    Loader is a lot faster if you have to room to move. If it is in a compact space you will be much slower.

  10. #10DGODGR2010-08-08 02:10

    I have not run an articulating loader smaller than 2 yards so I can't really say how the compacts work, first hand. Having run the larger units I do know how they work and what to expect from that design. When I purchased my last Bobcat I did have the Volvo, and Cat salesman try to push compact loaders on me. The reason they suggested the comp. loader was because I was looking at the A300 Bobcat. I decided to stick with the A series Bobcat (traded in an A220). I could not see paying the money for, what I considered to be, less versatility. With the A300 I feel I get the best of all worlds. Articulated steering (which we almost always use) allows me to grade around corners, and I can manuever without tearing up my work. When the need arises I can flip a switch and make turns where a loader simply could not. So far, I have gotten 2200 hours on the OEM tires. I paid less than $50k, brand new, with all the bells and whistles. This is obviously expensive when compared to most skid steers, but not when compared to a compact loader (or a CTL for that matter). I am sure the comp. loader will load a truck better, but the A300 does OK at that job. I would think that the comp. loader would road between jobs better and be more comfortable over all, especially getting in & out. I have spent very long days/nights in the A300, plowing snow, and while it was manageable, I would prefer better creaure comfort.

  11. #11Marc V2010-08-17 21:36

    I've read all of the comments and I have to say that I've owned and operated a Kubota R420 for 10 years and I would not trade it in for anything except another compact loader. I do everything with this loader , using both the gp bucket and a set of forks. I am a contractor who does alot of differing jobs from carpentry to earth work. Framing, retaining walls, moving pallets, backfilling, moving whatever,... the 420 has never let me down. I use it in combination with a Kubota KX121 excavator and an EZ Screen 1000B. I keep all of my work inhouse. There are a few shortcomings of the 420 though. If you plan on running attachments off of the aux hydr.s the 11 gpm falls short of the min 15 gpm that most skidsteer attachments need.. You should get the ss plate attachment quickchange that is available thru Kubota as it will open up a world of options to you regarding attachments. On any hydra attachments, talk to the company directly. I wanted to run a Harley Rake on my 420 and even though the gpm's were low, Paladin's rep( Harley's parent co) said they had come up with the necessary mech.s to run a 5' rake and a 6' broom off of my machine. After all of this time, the only mechanical problems I have had have been a few blown seals which cost about $500 to replace. Pushed snow all last winter with it for the first time without a problem. Had a combo 8' pusher/plow on it along with a temp winter cab. Had to add aux fuses off of the battery to handle the additional work and safety lights. If and when I buy another Kubota, I would buy the 520 with a full cab. The 520 puts out 15+ gpm on the aux hydr which solves alot of problems.

  12. #12icestationzebra2010-08-20 00:46

    I previously worked for an OEM that made small articulated loaders. What I was told was... - The loader preference is greatest around Germany & Austria - They are often roaded, and obviously can go faster than a skid - They often work in very old buildings with narrow doors. (I know, anything over 75 years is old here but not "over there") - They often work in very old buildings with low roofs, that is why the small loaders have folding ROPS - better visibility to sides and rear - better adept at moving bales, unloading trucks, etc. (more stable unless turned) - they are better at towing small wagons, etc. - they sometimes put attachments on the back, such as salt spreads - generally quieter at the operator ear ISZ

  13. #13laketreefarm2010-09-20 22:25

    The articulated wheel loader was invented by Schaeff in Germany in the 1930's. Way before skid steers were introduced by Melrose (pre-Bobcat) and Mustang in the 60's. I have used both and a compact wheel loader will outwork a skid in almost every situation except deep mud. Wheel loaders are a lot more operator friendly and will last years longer in daily use. I have 4 wheel loaders and my oldest is a 40+ year old Waldon that's a tank and still works every day.

  14. #14icestationzebra2010-09-28 22:37

    Curious who says that the articulated wheel loader was invented by Schaeff? They may be the first compact machine? The Frank G. Hough Company Hough's first wheel loader came to market in 1939. It operated with a gravity powered latch mechanism. Over the next decade, Hough introduced numerous innovations. In 1941, Hough released the world's first wheel loader with hydraulically-operated arms. In 1944, they released the first wheel loader with hydraulically-actuated bucket tilt, which allowed operators to tilt the bucket while approaching a pile of dirt to obtain a full load, a common practice today. Three years later, in 1947, Hough released the world's first hydraulic four-wheel drive wheel loader. And in 1950, Hough released the first wheel loader with planetary axles, a torque converter, and a powershift transmission.[2] In 1952, the Frank G. Hough Company was sold to the International Harvester Company. For the next 30 years, International Harvester would produce wheel loaders under the Hough brand name. In 1982, the International Harvester Company was acquired by Dresser Industries. Dresser elected to discontinue the Hough brand. Dresser would eventually merge with Komatsu in 1988, forming the Komatsu Dresser Company. ISZ

  15. #15icestationzebra2010-09-28 22:54

    I would agree in general, but I have found that small compact loaders (Gehl, Wacker, etc) are almost worthless in snow removal on concrete/asphalt. The front end is so light that the rear wheels just keep going straight - of course chains, fluid and wheel weights help offset this problem. Small articulated wheel loaders are also less stable on slopes because the CG moves around so much. Not a problem for good operator's, but a potential BIG problem for the inexperienced. I had one operator who was my best driver, ~20 yrs old with >300hrs on the machine, lay it over on the side. It may look like a toy but it can still bite you! Found out the hard way why I always made them wear their seat belt! ISZ

  16. #16icestationzebra2010-09-28 22:57

    Another claim at being first Perhaps one of the most significant milestones in the evolution of the wheel loader was the introduction of the articulated frame. Mixermobile Manufacturers in Portland, Oregon first pioneered this technology in 1953 with the Scoopmobile Model LD-5,[9] In 1944, Hough went on to manufacture a loader with the first hydraulically actuated bucket tilt. This gave the machine the ability to control dumping and the operator could approach a bank in low gear and scoop a full bucket by tilting the bucket back during loading.[10] In 1947, Hough would advance wheel loader development once again when the company developed the world's first four-wheel drive hydraulic wheel loader the HM Model.[11] The model is still considered the forerunner for the modern wheel loader. Mixermobile Manufacturing can be credited with introducing the first wheel loaders with hydraulic motors when it developed the Model H wheel loader in 1952 and the Model HP wheel loader in 1957. These loaders had a single centrally mounted bucket arm.[12] The Tractomotive Corp., founded by Van Dobeus, was another company to introduce the hydraulic wheel loader to the U.S. market. This involved fastening a hydraulic wheel mechanism with hydraulic power to the bucket crowd. This development transformed the wheel loader virtually from a re-handling machine to a digging machine.[13] ISZ

  17. #17laketreefarm2010-09-28 23:04

    Articulated history Karl Schaeff company was formed in 1919 to manufacture mining equipment in Germany They first produced steam powered excavators. In 1936 they produced the first articulated loader for use in coal mines. Currently their are the 3rd largest company in Germany and merged with Terex in 2001. The Schaeff line is now all branded Terex. That said the company has outgrown it's ability to service or have enough dealers that are familiar with all their product lines, now over 200 companies. They just bought ASV compact loaders and Royer Screeners in 2008.

  18. #18oldtanker2010-10-26 11:39

    http://www.bobcat.com/our_company/50th/products The Skid Steer was fist made in the 50's by the Keller brothers in thier blacksmith shop for a local turkey farmer. The Otter Tail County Museum, Fergus Falls Mn. currently has that machine. The first Skit Steer (4X4) as we know them today was produced under the Melroe name after they partnered with the Kellers. I owned the 6th one off the line produced in 1960. I know this because the grandkids bought it from me to restore and place in a Bobcat museum. No way of knowing if it was the first 4X4 becuase at the time they produced both the 200 and 400 on the same line and they were numbered as they came off the line. The company didn't keep good records at the time. Rick

  19. #19laketreefarm2010-10-26 16:03

    machine history Last three posts were important histories of the equipment we all use today. Maybe we should add a forum for machine histories? I remember first seeing and then testing a Melroe skidsteer in the 1960's at the West Virginia State Fair. Rough riding and noisy but they could dig! On small jobs could run circles around my JD 350. made me reconsider what I should be using. I bought a AC 540 all hydro articulated in 1975 w/dropoff hoe to replace my venerable JD 350 and I was sold on articulated machines from that point on. We now run 5 and a Muck.

  20. #20Bison2010-10-28 02:09

    I got a Waldon 500 articulated wheel loader and a ASV 4810 tracked skidsteer. The waldon (ancient)is build like a tank and will prob outlast the ASV. Its not to bad pushing snow with tire chains on the wheels,I find it very handy for jobs in tight places and inside buildings as it is only 4' wide and has lots of visabillity,it wont tear up the ground as a skidsteer will but is very rough riding on uneven ground.Mine lifts a tonne easy and has lots of pushing power.But it slower than the ASV It prob helped that i put a 140 hp 6.2 diesel in it. The ASV is mostly used on the brush cutter and mulcher,it moves much better on rough terrain than the waldon but maintenance cost are high(tracks and rollers) They both have their uses

  21. #21laketreefarm2010-10-28 19:47

    Waldon loader Bison I've got a Waldon 5000 too identical to yours. I added a skid quick mount plate and it's got the original Ford diesel engine which has been rebuilt once. How's you get the 6.2 diesel to match up to the pump? I've pretty well been advised by almost everyone I've talked to that the ASV track system is a maintenance problem and got the choice down to a Deere, Cat and Takeuchi.

  22. #22Bison2010-10-29 00:23

    Laketreefarm,if you look closely you can see the quik mount on the waldon,i build it myself,i think it is superiour to the skid mount. The orig vane pump was wore out.I put a commercial stackable pump on it,50 and 30 gal/min.I made a adaptor plate to mount it to the bellhousing of the 6.2 and it is driven by a splined shaft bolted to the flywheel and a matching coupler sleeve to the pump shaft. Any track system can be high maintenance. It depends on how one uses them, I think Cat uses the same system as ASV

  23. #23AKRentalMan2010-11-23 16:21

    Nice fabwork Bison! Best use for a compact loader is a one man show landscape in the summer/snow removal in the winter operation. The guy runs a Cat 906 and zips around town from job to job plowing parking lots ranging in size from residential to the local sears. He has a set of mounted turf tires for it also that make it almost zero disturbance to existing lawns for building retaining walls and such. Visibility is the vastly superior compared to skidsteers.

  24. #24laketreefarm2010-11-23 22:26

    Compact loader vs skidsteer Well folks I demoed and looked at over 10 different machines and for this years purchase and to qualify for the 100% tax deduction expiring soon, we bought a Takeuchi CL-60 as a replacement for one of our Terex SCL 515's. For the first time in our memory we were offered a mid-size 14,000 loader for less than a large TL-250 track skidsteer. The dealers are cutting prices to dealer cost to sell machines in this economy. Even more of a surprise was to get it with hydraulic tool mount system, HD forks, HD bucket, extra skid steer conversion adapter, full cab and H-flotation tires all for under 50K. The previous post mentioned the ease a CL wheel loader moves around job to job. We agree and even more importantly that it's transport agility on it's own wheels is the very low maintenance of those very same wheels. No tracks and rollers to wear out, 2-3000 hrs. on a set of tires, better traction on rough terrain as the frame twists and with limited slip and locking available on both axles has lots of pushing power on the ground plus superior lifting power with bucket or forks. The only situation I would want a skid track loader is on a slope with wet ground. Now I'm on the hunt for deal on a Optimal 1400 55" tree spade to mount on our new loader.

  25. #25stuvecorp2010-11-23 23:12

    I like the small wheel loaders and have plowed with them but I think a big skid is better for how I roll. It gets to be a tougher arguement seeing some of the used prices for the small loaders. There is some jobs where a small loader would work good but I wouldn't want to grade with one although it could be done. Laketreefarm, that sounds sweet on your TK loader. Would like to see and hear about it more as I've never seen the TK loaders, but have ran the Cat 906 and Case 221/321.

  26. #26laketreefarm2010-11-24 23:52

    Takeuchi CL 60 We chose the Takeuchi over Terex, Deere, Cat, Kubota, JCB and New Holland for the following reasons: The engine access was supurb. Standard warrenty of 2 years. Instead of having a pivoting rear axle the CL 60 has a center pivot as part of the articulation which makes it more stable on slopes, puts the pivot up where it won't get dirty and is real easy to maintain, allows the entire front carriage to pivot instead on the entire machine as it crosses rough ground. Manual locking differentials on both front and back locks up all 4 wheels at the touch of the joystick button, gives real good breakout power. Hose pathway from front to rear was above the articulated joint, so easy to change out the hose and very protected where as some of the other machines had hoses running through or under the center joint thus prone to failure, The creep control is standard and hydraulically metered where all the other machines was a $2000 extra option, not available, or actually a disk brake on the drive-shaft to slow the machine for creep or inching and thus wearing the brake out. Very strong hydraulic pin mount bucket coupler rated at 10K more than twice as strong as a standard skid mount coupler. Came standard with a very HD digging 1.5 yd. digging bucket with most of the others supplied a HD bucket only as an option. 22+ GPM (can be adjusted higher) standard Aux valve flow is as good as many of the other optional hi-flows.Came standard with very nice quiet cab with excellent visibility. Standard 4 front halogen lights and two rear lit up 270+ degrees, some of the other loaders only offered small little backup lights and extra cost to get big lights. Very HD solid 1" loader arms with nice parallel lifting action. 8500 working load and 10K plus tipping load gave big loader capacity in a compact machine. Dealer threw in 10K quick mount forks and hi-flotation industrial grade tires to close the deal. We ordered a skid mount plate to quick coupler adapter also made by Takeuchi so we can use all our existing skid mount tools with the Takeuchi mount system. The auto brakes and joystick button direction changes were flawless with no sudden jerks we experienced on several other loaders we demo'd. I'll have to work with it some before I can report more of it's abilities on slopes, digging and if it has any bugs the engineers missed. We ordered the tires foam filled as we plan to use the machine in demo work and brush clearing with a shredder when it's not on landscape and snow plowing jobs. Best of all we get a 100% deduction we can save for 5 years and write this machine off in any year we want as a normal business expense.

  27. #27moore2010-11-26 20:22

    ive operated both. we have a T190 bobcat and ive operated a 902 CAT. skid steers are better for final grading and landscape jobs and are really handy because they can of course turn on a dime. a compact wheel loader would be better loading and unloading stuff and moving stuff. as for tracks vs tires on a skid steer i like tracks more. they dont tear up the ground near as much, you dont have to replace them as often, and you cant get flat tires. but tracks suck when you have to plow snow. they dont have any grip and just slide around.

  28. #28PipeGuy2010-12-28 09:49

    I'm a water and sewer contractor. I do a lot of HDD. I just purchased a JD 304J. We have close to 2000 hrs on it. The cost is higher than a skid but it will lift more travel faster and is much more comfortable to sit in for 10 hrs / day. I think they will last twice as long as a skid or CTL also. Many of the skids I see are pretty much beat by about 3000 hrs. I orginally looked at the 244J but I found a pretty good deal on teh 304. It has a 1.4 yd bucket. I have an adapter plate for all skid steer attachments. I have a power rake that I use on the 304J. You can see it much better than if it was mounted on a skid.

  29. #29DGODGR2010-12-31 14:05

    Are you sure about that?

  30. #30Colorado Digger2011-01-20 21:50

    try one of these. but i will take a bobcat s300 all day.:usa:usa:usa:usa

  31. #31dr_gonzo2011-02-10 19:41

    I'm currently looking at compact loaders for a start up. I'm looking to haul logs for milling,build trails,etc. I'm wondering about forest mulching compatibilities...would a hydraulic unit work with a compact loader? Just questions to think about...I thought of a skid,but I'm thinking a small loader's the way to go...any ideas out there?

  32. #32pconnelly2011-03-05 07:53

    We are running a Bobcat 963G. I have 2 sets of wheels, pneumatic and foam filled. I have run the foam filled with Loegering over tire tracks. That combination can drive anywhere! The 963 is actually 105 hp and very low profile. Its been great in tight places. It's so heavy that we try not to do much turning on muddy roads but great in the woods. It has the high flo attachment for grapples etc. Very powerful machine!

  33. #33Topwater2011-04-18 16:30

    I'm looking at the skid steers and the compact loaders right now. I really want the compact loader but there doable the price of a skid steer so i'll probably get the skid steer just because there cheaper

  34. #34KSSS2011-04-22 13:51

    Compact wheel loaders are cool but man they are expensive.

  35. #35laketreefarm2011-05-14 16:20

    Skid vs compact loaders Compact loaders are cheaper than ever and in many cases cheaper than same size skid. We just compared a Takeuchi TL-250 and Takeuchi CL-60 and ended up buying the CL-60 wheel loader for $10K less than the Tak-250.($46K) including hi-flotation tires, 2 yard HD bucket, HD forks and skid to pin mount adaptor plate. It lifts 10K, travels at 12 mph and has greater visibility. The Tak 250 can go on steeper slopes and greasier mud than the wheel loader. However tires outwear tracks years longer.

  36. #36KSSS2011-05-16 23:19

    I don't see a compact wheel loader and CTL in the same catagory.

  37. #37laketreefarm2011-05-19 18:25

    Compact wheel loader v compact track loader Well almost identical weights, both use skid plate attachments, both used for identical work, both often have identical engines or very close to same horsepower, similar widths and heights (wheel loaders are usually longer) which is an advantage in stability and load carrying/lifting capacities ( usually a ton or more better in same size machine) Skids and track loaders can turn in own length but in doing so tear up the ground and churn mud. Wheel loaders tiptoe on environmentally sensitive surfaces, can move under their own power from job to job, while skids and tracks need to be hauled if moving over a 1/2 mile. Wheel loaders are, faster and superior snow pushers and loading out in all circumstances. Skids and tracks dig better and handle slopes better. Tracks are high maintenance, skids medium maintenance and wheel loaders low maintenance. Skids and tracks beat you up while most wheel loaders are usually quite comfortable. Exceptions are ASV's great riding, but very high maintenance suspension system and older wheel loaders with fixed axles which are hard on their operators. I have used wheel loaders as tool carriers since the 70's (my first was a AC 540) also used/owned NH 190 skids and ASV RC-80 tracks and my wheel loaders are still working, my oldest a 1978 Waldon has only had one engine overhaul and one starter in 15,000 plus hours, while my skids and tracks expired or became high maintenance and worn out at 6-8000 hrs. I currently work 5 wheel loaders and they do it all .

  38. #38Marc V2011-08-20 21:22

    Hey LakeTreeFarm how is the Takeuchi working out? I may be in the market to replace my 2001 Kubota R420 and Takeuchi is on my list of possibilities.

  39. #39laketreefarm2011-08-22 08:11

    Post purchase comments on Takeuchi CW 60 wich is now available for lease or sale Takeuchi CW-60 (made by Atlas in France) has been a great machine so far with just one problem (Bosch starter malfunction) which dealer corrected within 2 days with new starter. Outlifts a skid easily and drives like a Caddie. Very comfortable cab. We do wish we had bought the CW-65 instead of the CW-60 as the CL-65 comes with factory air while the CW-60 did not. This summer has been so hot that air would have been nice. Windows and doors lock open and running the cab fan helps. The two features we like best are the hydraulic creep pedal (3 pedals on the floor, gas,brakes and creep) which allows you to go really slow with high rpm's like when you need to creep up to dump into a truck or to run a rotary broom or trencher. We also like the HD pin quick coupler system that is so much heavier than the skid plate mount system. We ordered it with a skid adaptor plate so we can also use it with all our older skid tools. Visibility is excellent in all directions. The only operational caveat is that it's not as slope capable as a skid. Straight up and down a slope is good but go crossslope and it lifts a front wheel as a warning that the balance is changing. All in all a great machine> That said we need work for it. In 8 months of ownership we've only put 41 hrs. on it (we have 4 other loaders so I told the guys to minimize use on the new Takeuchi) and currently have it For lease or sale at $58,000 which is way under list. So if you need a machine we can lease it with very low payments as we paid cash and it's better if it's working than sitting. This economy is a killer for landscapers/dirt movers and we're going long distances to find work. We're partnering and subbing just to keep busy. 540-397-1367

  40. #40lake side bob2011-09-20 21:42

    I have a Waldon 5100. My question is how does your Waldon dig into a stock pile of dirt? Does it get a bucket of dirt? Mine only gets the cutting edge into the pile then stops moving into the pile, hadrley nothing in the bucket. I plan on putting full lockers in the differential axles to see if that would help. Can you communicate what performace you get from your Waldon loader.

  41. #41Bison2011-09-21 01:12

    You got to raise the loader while slowly rolling the bucket back while moving into the pile, like you would with a bigger wheel loader

  42. #42laketreefarm2011-09-27 18:34

    My digs fine in loose dirt. Just push in and roll the bucket up as you get part way into the pile. Hard ground forget digging with a Waldon unless it has down pressure and posi. The machine is top heavy for dogging work and most of the older machines never had down pressure as it was made to be a yard loader for Foundries. We use ours to load dirt mulch and pallets in our receiving/shipping yard. Does ok on grass into mulch piles but forget digging compacted dirt with a Waldon. We use our other loaders that are balanced better and have teeth and full down pressure and limited slip axles to dig hard ground. I have a Terex SCL-515 that digs hard ground faster than a JD-350 dozer. .

  43. #43turfguy872011-10-06 15:18

    I've got a waldon 4000...anyone know anything about these?

  44. #44Lil' Puss2023-12-12 16:06

    I know this thread has whiskers, but considering a Giant G2700 to augment or replace a Mustang 2040. So wondering how the Giant would be for carrying a ton of heating pellets up a steep gravel driveway. The last articulated wheel loader I ran was a Cat 944 in 1966.

  45. #45Lil' Puss2024-02-24 03:59

    Well I bit the bullet and got a Giant G2700HD+ 50 HP CWL. It is articulated and oscillating. Handles a ton of heating pellets up a steep drive without breaking a sweat (and it has heat and stereo). Kicked the skid steer to the curb and not looking back. Disclaimer: This was the first time I used it, so not very proficient. And it doesn't tear up the gravel!

  46. #46DGODGR2024-02-24 12:48

    I know nothing about the Giant brand, but I wonder what kind of dealer support, and parts availability they have. Regardless, I hope that you have more stuff for it to do than cart around pallets of pellets. If not, kudos to you. You've probably got more discretionary income than I do. Another idea would be to buy an old A series Bobcat. The All wheel steer platform has been a fantastic one for me. I'm not especially a fan of the newer A770s though (I have one of those too). If you do perform other tasks with the machine (besides the pellets), there are definitely pros and cons to each platform (skid vs CL). In my opinion, the CLs have much better visibility to everything except the cutting edge. I hope that you get a lot of good service and enjoyment from it. Side note: I cant believe that the RR lets you park all that stuff on their ROW. I've done a lot of work on the RR ROW and they are very finicky about anybody/thing in their ROW.

  47. #47KSSS2024-02-24 12:52

    CNH bought Giant. They are marketed now under CASE and NH. DGODGER did you go off grid down there for a while?

  48. #48DGODGR2024-02-24 13:09

    "Off grid"? I haven't had time to spread my special form of disinformation on HEF for a while now (If that's what you are referring to). I've been living a very "unmanageable" life style for a while now. Trying to do more work then one can shake a stick at, and store as many acorns as I can, so I can retire at the end of the year.

  49. #49Lil' Puss2024-02-24 13:20

    The Giant CWL's are made in the Netherlands. High end machines, priced comparable to Cats. Kubota engines. Quite a wide product line up. There are two models larger than mine. Like I stated, this is replacing, and a step up from, my Mustang 2040. I forgot to mention that it also has the universal (SSQA) attachment plate and remote hydraulics so I can use all my other SS attachments. Mini Loaders & Compact Wheel Loaders built to last. | Giant Loaders Versatile and durable mini wheel loaders and compact loaders purpose built for construction, ag, snow removal and the tree care industries. giantloaders.com The road that I park my equipment on is owned by the US Navy, and I take care of it for them. It's a blocked access to the base. The road and grade X-ing is only used by me and MOW vehicles from the short line.

  50. #50Lil' Puss2024-02-24 13:45

    CNH, Tobroco-Giant Sign Agreement to Distribute Wheel Loaders in North America CASE Construction Equipment and New Holland Construction make the announcement about the agreement with Tobroco-Giant, as each company has invested in electrification. www.forconstructionpros.com

  51. #51Lil' Puss2024-02-24 16:27

    CNH did NOT buy GiANT. They signed a partnership with GiANT. GiANT will still exist as normal. Case and New Holland will be selling a limited variety of machines. Think of it like how John Deere sells loaders that are made by Liebherr.

  52. #52KSSS2024-02-24 17:32

    Well.... partnership....bought out....

  53. #53IceHole2024-02-24 17:40

    We have one at work. Forget the name now, it's something sorta funny. Jumper, Gallopper, something like that. Powered by a 4 cylinder Deere, hydrostatic trans. Uses a quick tach, I think Bobcat pattern It's ok, but visibility is terrible. With forks you need a spotter, can't even see the tines. The bucket is no better, though I've not run a loader where you COULD see the cutting edge, so guess there's that. (Run stuff from little IT28s and 980s to 988, Volvo 350, etc)

  54. #54Lil' Puss2024-02-24 18:15

    Sez you. Lol. Maybe in five years or so.

  55. #55PeterG2024-03-16 12:09

    I'm a contractor doing Hardscape work, retainer walls and drainage and have a half yard loader, a Takeuchi TL130, and a Dingo. The Dingo is used the most. The Takeuchi is a beast around the job site. The loader with bucket and forks isn't used much.

  56. #56KSSS2024-03-17 15:05

    I have run the Taki 80 wheel loader, Case 321, WN 50, and numerous others of WN wheel loaders. I really like running all of them. Visibility is much better, more comfortable to run, and much easier on fuel than an equal size SSL or CTL. I have never bought one for the reason of their limited truck loading ability. They struggle reaching into higher sided trucks than a large frame SSL or CTL until you get into the largest of the of the compact line ups. They have a place, but given the same dollars as a large frame CTL, I can get more done faster with those than a CWL. However, change the circumstances of what your needs are and a CWL can make more sense. The small ones with turf tires are great working on grass.

  57. #57MNGopher2024-03-19 21:22

    I've always wondered why more people weren't enthusiastic about CWLs for all the reasons you mention. Interesting to note that the Takeuchi wheel loader is actually a branded Schaeff built in Germany which was owned by Terex until they sold it to Yanmar.