Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Comparing 5519 Telehandlers

CrossroadLumber ยท 2012-12-04 16:46

I'm looking to buy a 5519 Telehandler. Wanted to buy a Gehl at first because I've heard they're good machines and known about the brand for a long time, but there's a Genie 5519 in the area that is in my price range with a reasonable amount of hours on it. Anyone have comments comparing them? Also the Genie has a Deutz engine, any info on that would also be helpful. Genie 5519 forward reach is just over 10 ft, max lift fully extended is 1900 lbs Gehl 5519 forward reach is 11 ft, max lift fully extended is 1850 lbs

Replies10
  1. #1VoodooMojo2012-12-04 19:37

    Genie The service support is the greatest and will stick with you no matter what age the equipment gets!

  2. #2VoodooMojo2012-12-04 19:42

    Genie The service support is the greatest and will stick with you no matter what age the equipment gets! What part of the country/world are you?

  3. #3barklee2012-12-04 20:49

    Totally agree, Genie makes a nice machine.

  4. #4CrossroadLumber2012-12-05 13:47

    We are in Central California and have another yard on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.

  5. #5CrossroadLumber2012-12-05 14:12

    Do you have any comparative information about Gehl's, or just that Genie is great?

  6. #6VoodooMojo2012-12-05 20:26

    We can look at spec sheets and talk with owners of both. If your requirements are met and the price is right, then that is the route to take. http://www.gehl.com/const/Product_Detail/prodpgdt_RS519.html http://genielift.com/en/products/new-equipment/telehandlers/compact-telehandler/gth5519/index.htm I can only speak with a biased opinion. I am friends with the engineers that design and the technicians that build the Genies. I know the dedication and passion with which they do so. I also know that the phone calls from people seeking technical assistance after the sale never go unanswered. Even if the machine has changed hands multiple times since the original sale. I know this first hand. The USMC buys the Genie 5519 by the truck/boat loads. They seem to be happy with them. If anyone can tear sh*t up, it's the Marines!

  7. #7barklee2012-12-05 22:38

    I cant say that i have owned either one of these machines. I have owned both brands of larger lifts and i can tell you that i was not impressed with the Gehl machine. We still own a 10,000# terex/ genie and it would out lift, out perform the gehl 11,000# machine we sold. The Gehls just arent as rugged as the genies. The Gehl (in my opinion) is good for light duty applications where you will never exceed the load tables in that case you would probably be fine. You also need to remember the resale value which with the Gehl is going to be considerably lower (i know this from experience). A guy will look over a Gehl that is cheaper for a Genie with more hours and a higher price tag 9 times out of 10. Take a look at just about every rental house in the US and Canada. They are all running 90% Genies or JLG machines. You might see a rare Gehl 8000# from time to time, but thats not often. The service and parts avalability with Genie is probably one of the best out there. I could go on and on. I know you wouldnt regret buying a Genie machine. I cannot say that for the Gehl if only for the resale value alone. Not to mention if you get in a break down situation you are going to be hard pressed to find a Gehl expert on this site or any rental yard around. With the Genies there are at least two guys on here that know everything you will ever need to know about one. Same deal with just about any major rental yard. Im not trying to persuade you one way or another, i just have been in this exact same position and i bought a Gehl, didnt like it and it took me 8 months to sell it and break even on the deal and i even bought it in a repo for half the dealer cost. Good luck with whatever you decide!

  8. #8CrossroadLumber2012-12-06 10:51

    Great, thanks for the feedback. We're pulling the trigger on the Genie.

  9. #9VoodooMojo2012-12-06 19:07

    That is great news! Let us know how it all works out. If you need any information or assistance, let us know

  10. #10CrossroadLumber2012-12-10 11:06

    We will, thank you.