Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Comparison of some skid steers

Karl Robbers ยท 2011-09-22 05:42

I am currently looking at several skid steers with a view to purchasing one. they are as follows: Case 1840 Case 1845C one with high flow, one without. Case 60XT New Holland L555 New Holland LX665 Turbo with high flow The loader will be used for farm duties, (Digging, levelling, moving and fork lift duties). Prices are all in the same ball park, as are hours and condition. I like the simplicity of the 1840 and 1845 as well as their low stressed powerplant. Priorities will be ease of operation and reliability as well as ease of maintenance and repair. All have dealers in reasonable proximity. Gentlemen and Ladies, your thoughts please.

Replies7
  1. #1ctkiteboarding2011-09-22 10:10

    1845 hands down

  2. #2rioncrsn2011-09-22 12:54

    My choice would be 2006 or older cat. Before they went to electric over hyd. Have had several and love em. alot better then the c series machine.

  3. #3stuvecorp2011-09-22 20:48

    I would go with the 60XT. I liked the XT style controls much better than the 1840/1845 style for all day working. I think the XT would lift much more. If you ever wanted to, you could put a set of those VTS on it. I had a 70XT with them and it was awesome.

  4. #4Deereman2011-09-26 11:56

    I'd go with the LX665 and 1845C from what you are wanting. I don't think I would mess with L555.

  5. #5Karl Robbers2011-09-26 17:50

    I sure do have a soft spot for the 1845C, always have. I seem to remember that the XT's had a few problems when they were released, not sure what they were though. The early CAT skid steers don't seem to have a particularly great name here, (a shame as I am a CAT man in other machines). The LX665 is a vertical lift machine and I wonder if there would be a tendency to suffer more sloppiness in the arms due to the greater number of linkages. Also the longevity of a small turbo diesel versus a larger naturally aspirated diesel at similar horsepowers.

  6. #6yanmarman2011-09-26 20:58

    newholland all i run,very good machine

  7. #7buckwheat_la2011-10-02 21:56

    the 1840 or 1845 Case for sure, very bullet proof, little electronics to go wrong, and take abuse very well, JMO