Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Compression tester fitting for engine in Link Belt 1400 excavator

Cariboo4x4 · 2023-07-19 22:45

Hi All. A buddy asked if I would do a compression test on the engine. I believe its a 4 cylinder. I have the fitting for glow plug hole in GM 6.2/6.5 and Ford 7.3. His excavator is 3 hours out of town so anyone able to suggest what fitting I need for the glow plug holes? I’ll call local shop in town tomorrow yet maybe someone knows here. Pretty sure it is a blown head gasket. Top of radiator blew right off.

Replies7
  1. #1uffex2023-07-20 04:15

    Good day Recently we have favored using an Air compressor blowing the cylinder up to pressure you can hear leaking valves and compare leakage with the other cylinders. May be worth consideration. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Cariboo4x42023-07-23 11:56

    Yes that is definitely a must do. My current problem right now is buying the correct fitting into glow plug hole. I will be travelling 3 hours into the bush and want to have the correct fitting to screw into glow plug hole. I will then use my gas aur compressor to do a leak diwn test for bad valve, rings, or head gasket. Again I need someone to tell me the the specifications for correct threaded fitting that I can connect to my compression tester or air compressor to screw into glow plug hole. I can drive 3 hours there and unscrew a glow plug and then if I don’t have correct fitting for glow plug hole I will have to drive 3 hours back to town to hopefully buy correct parts and then 3 hours back. I’m just trying to save 6 hours of driving time. I phoned the local link belt parts and service dealer yet they have no glow plugs in stock to measure and the mechanic didn’t know the glow plug specs because he said a link belt 1400 is an old excavator and he had no idea of glow plug specs. Maybe someone here knows of a knowledgeable shop in North America that I could call Monday? Thank you in advance.

  3. #3Cariboo4x42023-07-23 12:37

    Ok. Its not a 1400. Its a Quantum 1600 excavator. Maybe that will trigger someone’s memory of the glow plug specs for the engine in this excavator?

  4. #4uffex2023-07-23 12:41

    Good day I am guessing you have an Isuzu motor with Bosch fuel system. if correct here is the part number may help out. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5Cariboo4x42023-07-23 15:05

    Thank you Uffex! Corey

  6. #6uffex2023-07-23 16:15

    Good day The only detail I can find, remember to take an oil can a shot down a low pot can confirm leakage. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7Cariboo4x42023-07-23 16:46

    Yes! Thank you