Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

concrete walls

CaT1029 ยท 2008-05-24 19:56

i dont know exactly where this fits in but here goes, i am looking for what people charge for concrete walls, 4 ft, 8 ft, and 9ft walls. a price per linear foot is what im looking for. also what exactly does that include, footer, how much re-bar?anything of that nature that makes a big difference in your linear price. also what sort of profit margin are you getting/shooting for when you do such a job? i have some rough numbers together but i am looking to see what the other prices are, i dont want to charge $60-80/ft when other guys are getting say $120/ft or if they are charging $50/ft. basically i am looking for any sort of price input to help me get a general idea of where the market is at. thank you for any input:usa

Replies20
  1. #1Squizzy246B2008-05-24 20:50

    Yours is difficult question for a $$$ per foot answer. Each concrete wall will be engineer designed for a specific application, surcharge load and prevailing soil conditions. The preparation of sub-footing, thickness of the concrete, steel etc vary with every job....and the preparation of the footing will also vary to the soil type. Then you have drainage, waterproofing and backfill requirements. This is why I never ever work in lineal costs, I don't talk these figures with clients and avoid getting in the habit of even thinking about it. Its the same with block walls, everybody wants to talk per block. I understand that you just want to get a rough handle and I'm sure someone may be able to give you some figures...but thats all they are.

  2. #2CM19952008-05-24 21:32

    I am not a poured wall contractor but I have hired a few. The last walls I got poured were 10FT tall, 10" wide up to the brick ledge. Just the labor and the panels were $3.25 per SF. So a 10' wall would be $32.50 per LF of wall. Rebar, concrete, concrete pump, footings, waterproofing, gravel backfill and drainage pipe are all extra. This was last November so I am sure the price has went up. For residential purposes, a 10" wall 10' tall with #4 rebar 12" each way with #4 dowels spaced 12" apart in the footing is pretty standard. Anything above 10' usually needs to be engineered. Hope this helps.

  3. #3CaT10292008-05-25 18:23

    thanks for your replies. i myself am not a fan of the linear pricing but this is what the building gc is asking of me, i was thinking of giving him a price along the lines of what was mentioned above, just the labor and panels. so far theres only 4ft walls for additions and garages and such so its not getting into anything commercial or even a whole house yet, hopefully the business will lead that way someday down the road though. i would much rather go look at the job and bid it specifically then give him a linear price, but he needs some sort of numbers from me so that when he is bidding on general contracting all the jobs he doesnt have to constantly be calling me to go look at them before he can even give a price on them. :usa

  4. #4iron kid2008-05-25 19:43

    4 foot 26$ 8 foot 46$ 9 foot 51$ Dubuque Ia

  5. #5CaT10292008-05-26 14:41

    iron kid, whats does that 4 ft wall price include? i have $30/ft figured for just labor alone, how long does it take to complete the wall? i have mine figured for 2 guys, 2.5 days and thats from footer prep all the way through to wall strip. i am not saying that the price is wrong or mine is wrong, im just curious how it came to that number. any input is appreciated, thanks :usa

  6. #6wacker2008-05-29 21:02

    Most concrete contractors I work with charge by the yard of concrete for walls and footers. The average I see is around $190 a yard for 8' walls then any steel, windows, sleeves cost more. This price is for average size basement.

  7. #7CM19952008-05-30 08:22

    Welcome to the Forums wacker!:drinkup That's is interesting how they charge by the CY for walls, I have never heard of that way of pricing. Since they charge by the CY, I guess they include the concrete in their price as well? Is that price per CY for an 8" or 10" wall? Just curious.

  8. #8iron kid2008-05-30 12:35

    4 foot by 8inch wall i charge 26 foot per running foot and that is concrete footing and labor i count each corner as two feet No rock, digging, or tile

  9. #9iron kid2008-05-30 12:38

    i price it both ways and i can almost always get the same # with in 100$ add 3$ per 2inch of width

  10. #10wacker2008-05-30 22:00

    Yep that price includes concrete 8" or 10" wall. Price includes bolts and ties.

  11. #11CM19952008-05-30 22:11

    If I am understanding the pricing correctly, the CY price is the same for 8" or 10" walls, why would anyone choose an 8" wall?:beatsme

  12. #12wacker2008-05-30 22:15

    Less CY in 8" wall

  13. #13CM19952008-05-30 22:30

    DUHH! ointhead Got it. ( it's been a long day)

  14. #14CM19952008-05-31 09:52

    Had a long day yesterday with employee issues, avatar's being stolen and the like. Anyway this is what I meant: Take an average wall 8' tall, 30' long: For the sake of illustration no waste factor included. Cost 8" Wide 5.96 CY $190 Per CY $1,131.56 10" Wide 7.38 CY $190 Per CY $1,401.78 There would only be $370 or so difference in the cost of the wall. If it was me, I would pay the extra for a 10" wall, but I assume there are those penny pinchers out there.:beatsme

  15. #15danielm2008-06-25 08:02

    What size footer would be placed under that wall? I'm digging out for a 8" wide 8' tall wall and a 8"x16" footer was suggested. It's sitting on rock so it may be sufficient. Also, they suggested #4, 24"oc in the wall which I thought was kinda light on the steel.

  16. #16Squizzy246B2008-06-25 08:48

    It should always be big enough to need a rockbreaker, undermine an existing wall, require relocation of a gas main and hit the water and sewer:Banghead:Banghead

  17. #17danielm2008-06-25 09:35

    Ha. Fortunately, the biggest threat is cow manure at the site. No chance of hitting anything else. Other than rock...

  18. #18CM19952008-06-25 09:57

    For a 9'-10' wall, code in my neck of the woods is 24" wide by 8" deep, although we usually go a foot deep. Code around here calls for 2-#4 continuous in the footing, I put 4-#4's with the good sturdy chairs every 6' or so for good support. Overlap the rebar 24 bar diameters or 12" for #4. I agree that 24" EW in the wall is a little light. I like go 12" EW in the wall. Even with the current price of steel, it is cheap insurance. Squizzy - you forgot about the "unmarked" fibre optical cable.:Banghead

  19. #19danielm2008-06-25 10:21

    My apologies to the forum. "Manure" was the proper word to use here.

  20. #20CaT10292008-07-03 14:38

    here standard footings are 8"-9" in depth and 16"-18" in width, it varies depending on the code of the town you're building in. most require drain tile weeps in the footer too. as for the bar, it varies based on the architect's drawing but theres usually #4 bar placed vertically in the footer every 3 ft and then horizontal bars in the wall ranging from 2-4 courses depending on the overall height of the wall. i bid on some walls recently and lost to a guy who's charging $27/ linear ft for a footer and 4'x8" wall. i have no idea how he is able to go that low, in my price i had $24/ linear ft just to cover my materials, that leaves a little over $200 that he's making on this job. which now a days $200 will barely get me to the job and back, let alone pay my guys and any other overhead. can anyone explain how he's able to do it this low? the only conclusion i came to was that hes just picking it up to keep his guys busy:beatsme