Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Considering buying Allis Chalmers HD21; anyone have more info (not a lot of threads)

viking1 ยท 2015-07-04 00:27

Hi folks; considering buying the below machine, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's operated, owned, or worked on one. For it's age this one is in about as nice shape as can be expected, but I heard the transmissions/drivelines could be troublesome? Please sound off...

Replies4
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-07-04 03:47

    Yair . . . viking1. The early 21p's (powershifts) were pretty ordinary and bloody near broke the outfit I was working for. I believe they worked their way through the issues but they never would have had the availability of a D8 of the same vintage. Having said that machine in question looks very tidy and I imagine would be less spendy than a similar Eight. They were a nice responsive machine to run and would out produce an Eight in most applications. Transmission was a two speed behind a clutched converter. . . side to side movement of the shifter selected direction and speed and back and forth movement engaged/disengaged clutch. I was never one for numbers and model designations and member D6 Merv from NZ I seem to remember was pretty cluey on the Allis's and may chime in. Cheers.

  2. #2D6 Merv2015-07-04 16:51

    That ones a HD21P; the powershift model; made between 63 and 69 when the HD21B replaced it. HD21A was the prior model with 2spd manuel shift; torque converter and master clutch Certainly looks very tidy and straight and has obviously been looked after. And I would think if it runs as well as it looks would do any work the original poster wanted to do with it.

  3. #3viking12015-07-04 16:57

    Hey thx Scrub; I should have known you'd have some experience w one of these old birds.

  4. #4viking12015-07-04 17:03

    Thx Merv; great info!! The engine was supposedly rebuilt around 5-6 years ago, after which it received very little to no use. I think everything else (except some hoses and belts) all original.