Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

High Tensile Pulling Chain

Queenslander · 2015-07-04 02:50

Needed to buy some new chain a few years ago to replace the leads on our old chain, which where worn out from being constantly turned on etc. Came across this 30mm, 1"3/16, high tensile. I was a bit dubious, at first, because it looked so small compared to the 2" stud link chain we kept in the belly, but 1500 acres pulling regrowth with D6 size tractors hasn't even put a mark on it. Neighbour is borrowing it next week to do the same with two D7s, might test it out a bit. Cheers, Greg

Replies29
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-07-04 03:26

    Yair . . . Queenslander. Looks good mate. Not to many snags with regrowth. We always found the sandy Yellow Jacket country around St George and Bollon was hard on chain. Best stuff we ever had was inch and a half long link hi-tensile Esco dragline chain had fifty foot behind each tractor . . . dear as but it paid its way. Nice and light to hook up for us little blokes and, on the straight pull it did thousands of hours even behind the nines. Cheers.

  2. #2Queenslander2015-07-04 03:51

    Is that the stuff with flat sides on the links? Always wondered where,on a dragline, they used that chain, seems to be too much about to be the leads attached to the bucket.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2015-07-04 14:58

    Yair . . . Yeh, mate that's the stuff, seem to remember the fifty foot length came with an extra big link on one end. I don't know the application either, it came in larger sizes too but the inch and a half was fine. We often used to use a double or triple chain back in the belly when pulling regrowth seemed to keep the chain on the ground a bit. Cheers.

  4. #4Jonas3022015-07-04 16:19

    How much would a chaining setup typically cost?

  5. #5Queenslander2015-07-05 00:18

    From memory, the light chain cost $10/ft about 6 years ago, the 2" could be twice that now. 300 ft is about the minimum length required, regardless of tractor size. If you're lucky, you might pick up a chain similar to mine for $3000-$5000 at a clearing sale. Although a much heavier chain, this one is a little on the high side, IMO. Cheers, Greg http://www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-3359953/Scrub-Pulling-Chain

  6. #6Scrub Puller2015-07-05 03:44

    Yair . . . Queenslander That is the style of link of the Esco I was speaking of . . . I don't know if that is the real deal though. Sixteen grand and I don't see any mention of length? It's done a bit of work but looks in pretty good knick. Cheers.

  7. #7Queenslander2015-07-05 04:02

    You may have missed this Scrub Seems to be well worn for HT. Description This versatile heavy duty chain is in very good condition. The length of the chain is 103 metres heavy duty the middle section is 45 metres the diameter of the link is 3’’ the outside section 63 meters and the links 2’’ in diameter.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2015-07-05 06:08

    Yair . . . Gotcha Queenslander . I missed that, the link was quite unstable and I could'nt scroll the pictures . . . that's just over forty seven bucks a foot, I think most folks would pass unless contracting long term. Cheers

  9. #9.RC.2021-06-19 17:55

    An old thread I know, but yesterday I picked up 600 feet of 1 3/8" chain. Chain seems to be getting harder to get at a reasonable price (this was about 600 a tonne). I heard the mines just cut it up into short lengths these days due to safety reasons. Being that is as long as they can load onto a vehicle with a forklift. I plan on using some to make a thinning bar to knock down suckers and I will also keep a look out for about 60 metres of 2 1/2" and make a 400ft long pulling chain.

  10. #10Queenslander2021-06-20 03:55

    For pulling regrowth, I wonder how you would go doing as Scrub mentioned above? Instead of using 2 1/2” in the centre, double or triple up some of your 1 3/8.

  11. #11.RC.2021-06-21 04:44

    I did think of that, however I am not too keen on it for my application I want weight in a singular chain itself rather then have multiple light chains bound together.

  12. #12old-iron-habit2021-06-21 08:11

    I suppose it is a bit hard yo get some pulling video when working but I for one would sure enjoy seeing some.

  13. #13skyking12021-06-21 09:16

    A bit dangerous I would suppose. Somebody mentioned "sandy Yellow Jacket country" and that brings to mind what all the creatures will be doing around that thinning operation.

  14. #14Nige2021-06-21 11:06

    You rang......?

  15. #15Queenslander2021-06-22 06:24

    So, those blokes are pulling light regrowth, which is easy going. Looks like they have ,at least, 3” chain. The big chain is not needed for strength but for weight to flatten the bushes. Pulling maiden, or virgin, timber is not as straightforward and requires a bit of skill to make it work efficiently. The yellow jacket that Scrub mentioned is a species of timber here, not a wasp, but bees can be just as troublesome.

  16. #16.RC.2021-06-22 06:44

    Looks to be all swamp mahogany and as I would expect they are just snapping it off.

  17. #17The Peej2021-06-22 08:03

    What do they do to clean up the mess left behind? It's definitely a fast way to knock it all down but what a mess left

  18. #18Nige2021-06-22 12:10

    I guess it depends what use is planned for the land afterwards would determine what is done with the vegetation. If I'm not mistaken there were a number of large dead trees in amongst the fresh stuff that must have been from a former pulling operation. So I imagine the answer to your question is "nothing".

  19. #19Tones2021-06-22 15:53

    Depending on which State in the video and the vegetation clearing laws would be a good reason to flaten this type of regrowth. Many thousands of acres were flattened in Queensland prior to the law being changed even though the owner had no real use for it. The land wouldn't have had any value had the trees been left standing. As for the clean up, well 20 foot wide stickrakes and even wider a quite common. There have been plenty of pic's n vid's of them here on HEF.

  20. #20.RC.2021-06-23 00:11

    Run a fire through it a year or two later. In that sort of country, you are better off leaving it where it is rather then raking it all up. Raking it all up makes the ground go hard due to the death of all the little creatures and organisms that normally live off rotting vegetation keep the soil soft, the rain can not penetrate the hard soil, then you start to get bare patches, and erosion. You then have to resort to deep ripping or something to loosen up the soil. That country is pretty poor quality.

  21. #21old-iron-habit2021-06-29 21:47

    Thanks for posting the video Nige. It was interesting to say the least. Quite a difference from pulling one way or both. When pulling for cattle food like a couple years ago during the drought do they just pull one way, so the vegetation grows back faster?

  22. #22Nige2021-06-29 22:11

    I think you need to ask our Australian members. I'm sure they know far more than I do about it. I just found the video.

  23. #23old-iron-habit2021-06-29 22:22

    Actually it was more directed to them. I should have asked in a separate post. I am sure someone will respond. But then again, maybe I assumed that with your vast knowledge that you humbly share with us, that you do know everything.

  24. #24Queenslander2021-06-30 06:08

    The timber in the clip, like most other here, has no nutritional value to stock. The idea of pulling a second time at 180 degrees is just to flatten it as much as possible and maybe hook a little more out of the ground. Mulga, which grows in the drier regions of SW Qld. and NW New South Wales, does have some nutritional value and is a valuable livestock feed in times of drought. Usually only about 3 days worth is pushed or pulled at a time to keep in front of hungry stock.

  25. #25epirbalex2021-06-30 06:38

    Must say I'm rather envious of chain pulling on flat ground . Using a gravity roller to clear steeper ground is slow work compared to wandering along beside another dozer off into the sunset .

  26. #26Tones2021-06-30 07:11

    Epirbalex, a gravity roller would have been more challenging or frustrating fun in your part of the world. For those of you who you may not understand, that country is as steep as a hens face

  27. #27JPV2021-06-30 17:28

    Now I gotta know what a gravity roller is and how you work it!

  28. #28epirbalex2021-06-30 18:14

    It's still is challenging . I've upgraded from my 17-A to a D155. Extra funny being dragged off a ridge backwards with the D7 . Been a few times I've had to go look for the roller after a broken cable or after the winch jumped out of reverse and lost the end of it before I changed the winch brake from dry to a wet one . at the end of the run the roller is running up a slope for a little way

  29. #29FarmWrench2021-06-30 18:46

    I miss scrub puller. Would a chain work on sumac trees in the rather moist Western NY area? We picked up a Bush hog 4.5" rated mower. We can't burn stuff now due to environmental rules.