Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Construction site culvert pipe

OldandWorn ยท 2011-03-01 13:50

A question about leftover, slightly damaged, or used steel corrigated culvert pipe on construction jobs. I have a home project idea to store firewood that will not get off the ground unless I can find large diameter culvert pipe for free or at a reasonable cost. I need about 20 pieces 4' long and somewhere close to 5' diameter. Is 5' a common size? 4' or 6' diameter could be used but 5' is my target size. Are short length scraps availiable on jobs or is it cut to length at the factory? What happens to the old stuff that is dug up? What are the chances of Joe Blow off the street being able to get permission to haul the pipe away? Loading, cutting long lengths so it will fit on my 10' trailer, I'm seeing some safety issues here even if the pipe is availiable. Thanks for your input

Replies2
  1. #1lgammon2011-03-01 20:50

    we usually get it cut to size because the stuff is so expensive at that size. 5-6 foot stuff is not uncommon but we ordered a 40 footer a few years ago and it was almost 4 thousand dollars so i don't think you will find much scrap. also scrap metal is bringing alot these days and the helpers usually snatch this stuff up quick!

  2. #2OldandWorn2011-03-03 07:38

    Thanks