Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Conversion to 4wd

norite ยท 2010-09-05 20:16

Has anyone converted a 2wd backhoe to 4wd? Seems to be many 2wd backhoes for sale that go cheap compared to 4wd. I am talking older machines such as jd310,410,510 c's and d's. I am thinking of replacing the front axle with one from a wrecked/burned machine. Obviously I need the front driveshaft as well. What I need to know is whether the transmission would need to be replaced, are the 2wd/4wd transmissions different or could a 2wd trans be upgraded by installing an output shaft or pto setup from the wreck? If the entire rear transaxle needs replacing, it probably wouldn't be worth it I assume. Any ideas?

Replies2
  1. #1JS580SL2010-09-05 23:48

    Dont know much about older deeres. Would assume the trans would be the same, you would need a transfer case though.

  2. #2mitch5042010-09-06 00:30

    on a case 580 super K it would be easy. Just remove cover on front of transaxle, install sliding clutch and yoke