Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

coolant change JD 317 skid steer

nicodeemus ยท 2014-11-03 13:25

Greetings to all, I have a 2005 model JD317 skid steer and have not serviced the cooling system yet. It only has 360 hrs. of time on it, but I feel I should change/flush the system soon. I've serviced my JD 955 utility tractor several times, but I was hoping to get some advice on this one. I bought this new right after Hurricane Katrina(I'm from S.E. La.) and it's never worked hard. Any help will be most appreciated. A recommendation to a good youtube tutorial would be great. Many Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1NTXREDNECK2024-09-23 11:00

    I am asking same question you are i have a 2007 320. Did you find the answer or canbyou point me to how to do it.

  2. #2nicodeemus2024-09-23 20:07

    Greetings. As you can see, no one ever replied. Kind of typical for this and other forms. If you aren't posting something with a giant problem, you most likely won't get any help. I was hoping back then to get some input on whether or not I should just drain and refill, or drain and also flush. Even though the machine only had 360 hrs. on it, I still should have serviced the cooling system a lot sooner and done a flush also. I sold the machine shortly after and just last year bought a mini excavator. Do some searches on U tube and let me know what you find. Wish I could offer more.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-09-27 00:15

    It could be that not many on the forum have a 317. Most newer antifreeze is long life. If the engine has wet sleeves then the condition of the coolant is more critical. It's normally pretty straight forward to change coolant. If you need flush the cooling system you could do it through the heater hoses. If you don't have a heater you could still hook up hoses the same way a heater is hooked up. About the only reason to flush the cooling system is if there was a problem like a blown head gasket or maybe a heater core is plugged. Normally on a smaller engine you just change the coolant every 2000 or more hours depending on the coolant used.

  4. #4mg23612024-09-27 05:35

    The 317/320 have a 6000 hr service interval. The service is not as critical with these engines because they are "cast in block" cylinders, not liners. Get yourself some coolant test strips for diesels. From those, you will have a way of knowing when you your coolant reaches end of life. Another way besides testing freeze protection, is to measure voltage in the coolant (yes, you heard right). Anything more than 0.3 volts with all accessories/lights on, replace the coolant.