Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

coolant leak

ktm250rider ยท 2013-11-16 09:16

I think its finally time to work on the issue of missing coolant on my Hyundai 130 LC. I haven't drained the oil yet but it doesn't look like there is any in the crankcase when viewing the dipstick. Most of the lost coolant is running out of the engine. I cant really pinpoint where its coming from. I thought perhaps the water pump was gone or the hoses were loose but I checked those last week and they seem to be good. Not sure where to go next, I was thinking perhaps the head gasket needed to be replaced. im going to drain the oil for a better look. Any other ideas on diagnosing? this is a home owner machine so there is no rush to fix and I would like to tackle the fix myself.

Replies8
  1. #1wilko2013-11-16 10:13

    I just came across one of those cameras on a flexible probe made by Whistler selling for 60 bucks at WalMart. Seems like just the thing for nosing around tight spots like you need to do.

  2. #2Delmer2013-11-16 11:32

    Have you pressure washed the engine, or used degreaser to clean it up? Can you see coolant dripping or see the deposits from it evaporating? I'd "bubble test" the cooling system for a leaking head gasket and SOS test the oil for glycol, and then probably live with it, but you could pressurize the cooling system after the engine is clean and see if you can track it down.

  3. #3John C.2013-11-16 12:08

    I use one of the Stant pressure test kits for finding leaks. It has a hand pump connected to a radiator cap that you install. Pump the pressure up to 15 or so PSI and then start looking. The biggest culprit I've seen on excavators is the heater hoses and heater in the cab.

  4. #4ktm250rider2013-11-16 12:35

    never pressure washed an engine, any special precautions? it looked like the coolant was coming from the water pump or water hose inlet area of the engine. front side between the engine and the fan. Ill have to check out the camera idea, that would probably help. ive lived with the leak for quite some time. since I use the machine every now and then I would just top off the coolant overflow tank and all would be good. last time out, it was leaking pretty bad, engine bay was wet and leaking everywhere. ill google it but what is an SOS test? I guess one question is, if its not the head gasket, what other high priced items would I be looking at?

  5. #5Delmer2013-11-16 15:37

    Scheduled Oil Sampling is Cat's oil diagnostic test, but if you can see the coolant then you don't have to bother with that yet. If you have it narrowed down, maybe just wipe that area clean and pressurize the cooling system, engine off, so you can find the leak as it starts, kinda hard to find when it's blown all over. Way to early to judge the head gasket, lots of cheaper places for an engine to leak. Don't get water on electrical components, and don't get cold water on hot injectors or pumps.

  6. #6ktm250rider2013-11-16 17:15

    Ill have to pickup a pressure tester. Hope to get to it tmorrow, supposed to be warm. Think it will be my last chance until spring.

  7. #7alrman2013-11-16 23:21

    It may help if you tell us the make & model of the engine. 4B Cummins?

  8. #8ktm250rider2013-11-17 13:05

    yup, sorry, Cummins 4BTA 3.9 not that it matters I hope. picked up a coolant pressure tester this morning. The auto parts store rents them for free, best deal all week. Found all my hoses to be rather loose and one that was just about broken. I was able to tighten the bad one enough to hold pressure for what I think was long enough to say that that was the problem. if it would stop raining I could go put that on, hope all is good.