Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Corridor X, Future I-22

CM1995 ยท 2009-05-02 13:38

Corridor X runs from Memphis, TN to Birmingham AL, terminating at I-65. The construction on this corridor has been on-going for 30 or so years and the last few phases are under construction or ready to bid. I took some time a few Saturday's ago to ride out and see the progress and was also able to snap a few pics of some interesting equipment. This phase of the highway has cuts and fills that exceed 80'. Numerous environmental problems from closed landfills, a lead contaminated shooting range to abandonded coal mines both above and below ground. Wright Brothers out of TN is the GC. They are currently completing the widening of I65 to accomodate the new I-22/I-65 interchange. This work included 17 bridges that were widened and subsequently rehabed, including deck and beam removal and replacement. Here is an interesting article in Roads and Bridges - http://www.roadsbridges.com/articles/30Years.pdf Now on to the fun part - found a few interesting pieces of equipment. Clearing crew and equipment - 320CL with a very heavy duty clearing cage Front view of the cab guarding. I would like to have something similiar like that for demo. Nice looking D7 with a rake D8R with rake D8R with a KG blade.

Replies8
  1. #1CM19952009-05-02 13:43

    Some pics of the larger iron on this project- Some 740 artics Triple 7 rigid frame dumps A 160 motorgrader and D8R. Those 160's really are huge. A nice D9L with single shank ripper

  2. #2CM19952009-05-02 13:48

    Pc1250 The PC1250 that I assume they use to load the triple 7's. They had some large chain welded in the bucket. The only thing that I could think of is to keep material from packing in the bucket.:beatsme Anyone else seen or used a bucket like this? Takes a whole new meaning to changing teeth. Those are size 10.5 Red Wings. Nice heavy duty rock bucket.

  3. #3Turbo218352009-05-02 14:23

    CM, you have the right idea with the chain. It prevents wet material from sticking and building up in the bucket.

  4. #4CM19952009-05-02 14:54

    As far as the chains in the bucket go, I guess you get used to it after a while - like having a pipe hook on the back of the bucket. Although you may not be able to hear it that much in a 1250. Couple of shots of the cuts and fills Looking east towards I-65. The triple 7's are on the right Pic looking back west This pic shows the amount of cut on this ridge. I-65 can be seen in the fore ground as well as a rail line in the bottom of the valley. Joe Money Machinery is on the other side of I-65. They are the Fat Allis and New Holland dealer. There will be a 4 lane section of I-22 that will go underneath I-65 at this point and terminate on US 31 which is 1/4 mile away, parallel to I-65. The feeder road will go to the left of the building, where the transmission line poles are in the picture. This project should be an interesting one. I travel this section of I-65 daily to our project just north of here.

  5. #5fensoncont.2009-05-02 17:52

    Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6CM19952009-05-03 12:08

    They also had 2 D6T's with 6 way's, rippers and GPS

  7. #7JimBruce422009-05-03 16:48

    Great pics, Don't often see buckets with chains in tehm like that, but yeah they are used to keep sticky dirt from sticking too badly. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming :drinkup:usa

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2009-05-04 11:51

    We call those "Clacker Buckets" here. I see them mostly on loaders, not so much on excavators. Keeps the clay from building up in the corners and reducing capacity. Sometimes you will see large steel plates added to the chains so they cover more area. It does make a racket though. Hope the cab doors seal up good.