Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Corroded Lines on my asv

Gorman ยท 2011-12-05 12:36

Hey guys, I took the inspection plate off the bottom of my asv and noticed there are a few metal lines that are rotting out. Nothing seeping or leaking but I didn't know what you guys who work on these machines on the reg would recommend to do. Do nothing and replace? Corroseal?

Replies5
  1. #1xcmark2011-12-06 17:14

    Price out the lines and ask the service MGR what the labor to replace them will cost you , it may be time for you to change to a newer maching. I just did the 6 hard lines going to the track motors on my JCB T-1110 , just parts was over $3900.00 usd plus 8 hours labor to change them. I ended up haveing a local shop fab up stanless steel lines and new rubber lines for $4000 installed , still feel the pain from that F*ing

  2. #2Gorman2011-12-06 17:51

    Yeah I figured it was going to be that case. But would corroseal buy me some time or is it a wasted effort?

  3. #3xcmark2011-12-07 18:21

    it may help if its not scaleing rust . scales will pop off when they get warm and just continue to degrade fast.

  4. #4Gorman2011-12-07 18:58

    Its kinda scaly. The problem is that the previous owner never dropped the inspection plate so muck built up around the tubing and just rotted. Now that I pressure wash it out it's not as bad but I need to address these tubing lines. I priced out the tubing from a website for around $100 a line. Not bad but i don't want to deal with corroded threads.

  5. #5xcmark2011-12-08 19:42

    the cheapest part JCB qoated me was 350 for the cheap small drain back lines and 580 for both drive lines , not one of the lines was more then 5' long!