Hi All, I was wondering what the cost to move equipment locally is? Like within a 10 to 15 mile distance. Our excavators and other equipment is between 28,000 and 60,000 lbs.. Thanks for all of the responses!
Around $300 your prices are going to vary quite a bit by location though
Of course prices will vary around the country but I pay $300-400 to move a 55K hoe, 953 loader or D5 10-20 miles. In my area it's cheaper for me to hire our moves out then own a lowboy.
15 years ago I was paying $250/hr for a lowboy round trip from the driver's house.
It will also depend if width or height permits or pilot cars are required. I have a 30,000 lbs combine, that’s over 16 feet wide. So, it requires pilots and overwidth permit. I’d say here it’d be $250-350/hr with an hour minimum, and permits/pilots extra. But, I own a lowboy and move my own equipment.
Wow $300-400? That's not worth doing yourself. I payed to move my 210 once, it was just under $800 would have been more but the driver shorted the time a bit to make it cheaper. I believe it was $180/hr and they charge from the moment they leave their shop until they return which took them about 5 hours. A big thing might also be depending on location if they load it, or you have someone do it. A big factor for me is needing to be there anyway, as a lot of the work is cleaning up the road after due to being in residential areas, and you don't want to be paying nearly $200/hr for someone to push a broom.
I pay a local guy $300 to move my D7H if it's 20 miles or less.
300 is not bad for a twenty mile move, Rate for a law enforcement tow on a class eight truck in Washington state is $396.00 an hour, which usually works out to two hours minimum.
Shop here(Trucking and excavating) has a set figure $300 local moves(Under 30 miles) so long as not permit required, $3.50 a loaded mile above that distance.
My neighbor should read this and see what a bargain he gets. I move his 953C to and from his logging sites for $125. Just a neighbor thing I guess. Usually 10 miles or less.
Wow that is cheap. I wouldn't even move something with my light trailer for that. One thing I like about moving my own hoe is the short jobs. Last saturday did one, only took 2 hours with the hoe for $1,000, about 3.5 hours from leaving yard to back at yard. Don't get a lot of them, but couldn't do them if I had someone else move it.
I want to have a 14,500lb John Deere 410 backhoe, 120 miles, from MA to NH. Is there a rough estimate of what I could expect to pay for transport costs? Do they do it by an amount per mile?
Current price here for a Local or within 150 miles is $3 a loaded mile. Distance rides cost a sh&t ton more.
Hey come work for free for me!
A couple of things to consider, if you move other's equipment and you do not have cargo insurance (different from insurance on equipment that you own or rent), you will be liable for all damage to the equipment if something happens. Also, one must have operating authority to haul for hire interstate, and often intrastate depending on the state. We have all of that with a $500,000 cargo limit that we sometimes have to bump up temporarily (ever price the cost of a new D8 or 730) and do haul some for hire, though not often. I charge a minimum of $150/hour from shop to shop on shorter hauls. For longer distance I start at $5.00 per loaded mile, and $2.50 for empty. I have an annual OS/OW permit for our home state, but I have to pay by the mile for gross weights over 80K that goes up exponentionally to my max, which is 142K on the major routes. Under 116k costs me $.04 per mile, and the top weight is $.70 per mile, so all this has to be figured in if I am bidding a haul. Like CM, on paper I would come out better to hire our hauling done, but the convenience of not having to shedule that, and downtime waiting for an availble transport are hard things to put on paper. Also, many of the places we work are hard to get in and out of. Asking someone else to to fight poor access usally comes with a cost after awhile.
Good point Oxbow. Insurance is something you don't need until you don't have it.
And hurts like hecky durn when is not there when need it. New wrinkle of that here is currently the insurance game is sliding toward no fault payouts, any wreck regardless cause creator the damage is 20% on the person with damages. That just came to light speaking to our agent. Deductibles “Should” cover most of it or Uninsured motorist clauses but 20% will boost your rates each occurence.
The reason I bring that up: On of the larger contractors in the area was hauling a new excavator for the dealership, but did not have cargo insurance. I'm not sure what happened as the driver had hauled many excavators on that section of interstate, but he ended up clipping an overpass. As I heard the story, the contractor immediately purchased the excavator...
Businesses trying to make a {profit center---new age lingo for creative business/banking} out of hauling for hire and finding out the hard way---Trucking was better before de-regulation, you had to apply for your permits and those permits could be contested by other trucking/freight companies. Farmers pull that crap around here all the time and get caught much of the time. Everyone trying to make the necessary evil parked in the drive way viable/not so evil.
Read My Mind, and STILL remember when that went down and the industry damn near to collapsed in on itself.
Date on this is 1979--and where are those outfits now---It's what deregulation did. *
Names I still remember too.
thank you so much for your suggestion
I move my 10 ton excavator which is under wide/heavy load limits but soaks a lotta time up doing the loading/chaining going slow worrying about fast curves, etc. It's not like towing a bobcat. I charge $100 an hour for that but most customers will not pay for it so I got a skid steer backhoe attachment for the quickie jobs. It's a Bradco bobcat attachment like before mini ex's got so popular.
Any Texans in this community? Looking to figure out my rates as I'm going to be working with the local heavy haul company here in Austin. I will be moving anything from tractors, loaders to attachments and such. I have my own tractor/trailer/authority and such. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I usually work with equipment rental companies and I either charge a daily rate or hourly depending on the job.
I am looking for someone to move a genie S-65 lift from Teague Tx to Hearn Tx about 90 miles. it is 30' long 8'wide 9'tall and 22,271 lbs. ASAP
Are there message boards that list equipment movers? I am in Texas needing a lift moved 90 miles from Teague Tx 77860 to Hearne 77859.
Google is your friend! https://heavyhaultransporting.com/what-we-move/teague-texas-wesco-heavy-equipment-transportation/