Wondering if anyone here has an idea on what it cost to haul equipment cross country. If I buy a machine at auction like CA-NY, NY-FL or even PS NY where I live what would it be per mile? I would be buying a telehander weighing 25-30,000 lb. I just need a rough rule of thimb. Last time I did it was in the early nineties. Thanks for the help!:drinkup
Just contact a local trucking outfitt or a broker and they should be able to quote you a price.
Yes, call a broker. If your lucky you will catch a truck that needs a back haul, and is hauling close to the auction site. This may save you some cash.
I agree 100% and if you can be flexible about when, you have an even better chance of getting a deal.
yup, unfortunately, a lot of auctions require the machine to the leave the sale within so many days
I still have no idea of the range of cost. So if I am looking at a deal in CO, CA or some other distance land if I knew it was about a 1,00 per mile or ten per mile I would have an idea what it would add to the price of the machine. I know if a guy is looking for a load it may be a bit better but I was looking for even a high end price per mile if anyone here is familar with it. I didn't want to stroke a broker with a fantasy qoute just a rough rule of thumb even on the high end. Thanks for the tips but if anyone has shipped something similar or has tip on the cost I am all ears.:drinkup
i purchased 2 excavators out on state and had them shipped back. one was IN to NY and the other was buffalo NY to long island. i called a ton of companies and got qutoes from 1500 to 10,000$ its all about your time frame and the shippers. i;ve found that a fair estimate is about 2.50$ a mile. but with the economy the way it is you can find a guy with a 20 ton tag and a dump to haul for a few hundered bucks plus fuel and tolls
I had a Volvo A-40 (near 70,000#) hauled from Atlanta to SoCal for $8500 about 16months ago. Also had a Volvo A-25 water wagon (around 45,000#) brought from Tampa FL to SoCal for $7500. Hope that helps
Try this place http://www.uship.com/ I haven't shipped anything with them but I did get some prices on a couple machines.
I had a John deere 450 dlc excavator shipped from Florida to Ontario Canada for $12000 canadian . ( and that was 2 floats beacause of the machines size she had to loose the counter weight , stick, bucket and an extra full grapple that came with her) That was exactly a year ago
Talk to the auction company they will have a list of haulers. I know at the Ritchie Brothers auctions, there will be some haulers there set up with a table or booth to get customers. And these guys are used to working at the auctions, so they know the procedure and will know how to run and load the machine. I would not send a trucker that does not know the procedure and then will expect someone there to load it for them. It can be a mad house after the auction with all the trucks trying to get in and get machines loaded and checked out of the gate. Also at Ritchie Brothers you usually have 7 days to get the equipment out.
I had two machines hauled in the past four or five months. The days of $1.00 a mile are long gone. It cost about $3.25 per loaded mile for a 40,000 lb loader and about $4.50 per mile to haul a 65,000 lb excavator. They hauled the excavator on a triple axle low boy with a booster added at the back for the extra weight. Both were backhaul rates. I shopped around a little and took the best rate. Regular rates without a backhaul would have been more.
For loads under 40K i would figure on $3 a mile. any more weight and i would definately do my home work REALLY well before i purchased the item. with permits a coast to coast drive can be over 20K
Freight ? Hello Speedpup, Material handlers, need no oversize load or pilot cars . Nor a lowboy, just put it on a 40' float. Find a back haul, via trucker friends, screw that urgent one way haul, got to be there overnight ? business? Shop around , you will find a bargain. Given time, if that is on your side. I thought $2 was premium, but now $3 sounds more like it. Per mile that is !
Telehandler is less than 9 feet high and 8'-4" wide max. Weight is 25-31,000 lb. I would never be in a rush to get it I could wait a few weeks. Probably look for some thing on the east side of the country although many bargins seem to be on the West coast at the moment.
I was looking at a Lull on ebay and they had a place Uship pop up. You then just put in the weight of machine and zip codes and price pops up
With these dimensions, is it possible to fit the machine in a sea crate? If so it may be cheaper, since it then could go intermodal, since trucking would only be too and from the railyard. Also, you could pick up a sea crate and use it for jobsite storage. :beatsme
what is a sea crate? Thanks! Not sure if you mean shipping container? Doubt it will fit in one of them.
Yes, i mean shipping container. Things in Michigan tend to get a variety of names, guess its all the snow that keeps us thinking? Its common for a shipping container to be called a sea crate, con ex box, and probably a few im missing. The reason I ask is because as of late I have seen a lot of decent size machines being put in containers. In fact the local cat dealer just took the bucket, and wheels off of a loader and shoved her into a crate, for points unknown. Something for you to think about, as it may only take removing the wheels and pushing that machine into the container.