Can someone give an approx, estimate of what it might cost to replace the steering clutch brake on a J.D. 450b, it is a 1970 w/ a dry clutch assembly ? The steering lever has about 3 to 4 inches of free travel compared the the other side, and you really have to pull very hard to make it stop the track. I realize prices vary from one area to the next, but I'm looking for a approx. price, this way I can save up for the for the repair, also I can't do it myself so labor would have to be added. In another post I asked about a 125 international and added some pictures, the guy was asking 5750.00 for it, but i ended up buying this 450 J.D. instead to my regret.
You need to find out what the going rate for this work is in your area. Call your local JD dealer, that will give you a price you can compare prices from other shops to, at the same time you can price the parts for this also.
Yair . . . dillon45 . I have no knowledge of your tractor but other machines of that era could be fitted with stock brake-band material. It used to be available in various widths and thicknesses and was relatively inexpensive. I used to stock it by the roll and cut segments to size and drill and countersink on site . . . then of course they came out with bonded linings and folks thought you had to do the service exchange thing. All very well if you lived in civilisation but I have converted quite a few machines by drilling the brake band to take the segments. The segments are normally riveted on with brass rivets but I got more satisfaction out of using brass screws and lightly peening the threads onto the nut. This should be quite a simple job and I can't see it would cost much if you do the work yourself. Having said that I have found over the years that lifting the lid on a steering clutch compartment can reveal a can of worms. There is usually a reason one brake is wearing quicker. . . hopefully just bad habits or adjustment by a previous operator. Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, I should have bought the International, but have owned J.D. tractors all my life and you know how that go's.
Have you tried adjusting the brake? I don't know about the B models, but the C models had a 1 1/2" pipe plug on the side of the, case just above the sprocket, that you removed to get at the brake adjuster. Or you could ask the JD dealer how to adjust the brakes on your model.
No I have not attempted to adjust it, they say you must follow a specific sequence or you can ruin it or make it worse. I don't have the proper books to refer to and this is completely new to me. Tractors, I know a little about, "Dozers" not a clue. I spoke to a J.D. dealer today located a hundred miles away, yes they are the closest. The cost of a serviceman to come out, is just over $250.00 and $105.00 an hour. So roughly, were talking in the neighborhood of $500.00 dollars for the service call and 2 hours labor. Before calling J.D. I spoke with a old timer who knew quite a bit about these machines, and he told me the only way to go, is to get J.D. to adjust it, or I'm wasting my time and money. He was so adamant on this point I have to believe him, plus he don't have a nickel in it.
I haven't been around one of those much at all, but I'll bet you anything that you'll find better advice (either here, or some other online site) than you can expect to get from the Deere tech who you happen to get sent out. If the adjustment is really that demanding, do you really think a kid with a computer is going to have learned it or done it before? Assuming you're not in a hurry, let the dealer worry about the 2 month old combines sitting with dead computers and wait until somebody comes along who knows old Deere crawlers.
Yiar . . . I think Delmer summed it up pretty well. This is a very simple mechanism circa 1970 all you need is instructions as to how to do it right . . . failing that any competent fitter should be able to figger it out. Cheers.
dillon45 Here you go $61.00 for the service manual. If you plan on owning the 450 b for any amount of time this well worth the investment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-...ipment_Parts&hash=item3cd66e3dff#ht_528wt_939
Thanks for your reply. In the "FIRST PICTURE" just above the track is a cover with 3 bolts, I took the cover off and there is a bolt that has something to do with adjusting the throw out bearing and pressure plate, than there's is a brake band that is wrapped around the pressure plate that also needs to be adjusted, not to mention under the seat is a linkage which operates a hydraulic power steering cylinder which I believe controls the amount of travel in the steering arm. My problem is I don't know which is which or how to start the sequence. When I started this post I was hoping someone may have a 450 b and had to replace the steering brake, clutch, and P.P. and be able to give some insight on how the process works as well as the price for parts and labor. The only info. on parts I could find consists of a P.P. throw out bearing , multiple fiber, steel plates and brake band, cost is approx. $700.00, but they all differ somewhat, and you need to have the old parts to reference, also the price is for a "after market kit" And no I'm not in a hurry, and sure do hope someone who has a 450b could shed some light on this topic.
Do a thread search or ask over here: http://www.jdcrawlers.com Lot's of those folks own that early iron.
Thanks Russ I will check it out.
Hey that looks like the same 450 that you were looking at on the other thread dillon45. HeavyEquipmentForums ... First thing is order a service manual www.jensales.com/John-Deere-450B-Tractor-Service-Manual-JD-S-TM1033_p_81966.html I have done this in the past on my buddys 450C but its been to dang long ago . I dont remember it being that big of a deal but then again we were replacing the transmission housing . Had damb near the whole rigg in pieces on that job. Wish I could be of more help. Members tuney443 and stumpjumper83 have 450's . Might send them a pm or they may drop in with advice on the procedure. Found this site & brought back memories of working on my buddys 450. www.antiquetractorsrus.com/Tractorrepairphotos/tractorrepair2.html Good luck with the 450 dillon45
td25, yes it was in that post, I should have bought the 125 International instead, but always have had J.D. tractors so I went with this instead, sure regret that move. Thanks for the thread.
Thought so dillon. Hopefully this is just an adjustment ,Think positive Look at it this way.... If your not a mechanic at this time you will be in the near future Those were pretty good units and I'm guessing no problems getting parts for today. It looked like it operated decent in the video.
Yep you took my words
Yes it sure did look good in the video, however, upon receiving it the right side steering no longer worked like it did, can't understand what might have happened to it, other than someone must have used it in a abusive way, go figure, But as you stated it is probably an adjustment.
its kind of a pain to get to that steering clutch, but if u have the time, break track pull final apart , remove steering clutch, buy adjustment gauge or take to dealer (they will adjust for free if your quick with tongue) reinstall and ull probably get more time before something else comes lose
Thanks for the reply, but I was hoping that an adjustment would fix it, as i would hate to get involved in that sort of repair this time of year, also it does stop the track but you have to pull hard on the steering lever.
under the seat there is a cover over each steering clutch, inside there is adjustments for both clutch and brake band, beware of breaking the brake band bolt if its rusty in there it happened to me, hard to describe but if u look in there youll understand everything might get some brake but usually at this age it probably needs some serious attention just read earlier posts I think I may be wrong doesn't hurt to try and figure it out.
Yair . . . Did Deere actually make a little tractor where you need to break the track and dismantle a final to get to the steering clutch????? Someone say it isn't so. Cheers.
I am incorrect a 350 requires dismantling to get to steering clutch
I had this done 1-2 years ago at a small shop. It ran about $5000.00 as I recall. It was a 450B dozer. All new parts on one side. The other side was all checked when he was in there. He had to split the track, take the top off the machine. Labor was the biggest part of the bill. I got him the parts and tech manual. He had never done that particular machine before. I chose him over the big dealer in my area. I have put about 200 hours on it since with no problems.
yaa... scrub puller u really hurt my feelings with that one however u wont be scoring any points on this one. on the other hand after reading approximately 600 of your posts I wouldnt argue with u even if i was holding the high hand. check out my website monserandsons.com its a compliment
Yair . . . Monserandsons . I sure didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Unlike a lot of folks on here my experience is quite limited and mostly on the larger tractors from Cat and Allis from the late 'Fifties to the 'Eighties. Even of those tractors I lack the encyclopaedic knowledge of models, serial numbers and engine types displayed my many contributors to this board . . . the depth of knowledge here is quite astounding. I try and limit my comments to topics that I know a little about and, as most folks will realize my views are somewhat dated. I was just expressing surprise that a manufacturer like Deere would build a little machine where serviceable components such as brakes and steering clutches couldn't be attended to without dismantling tracks and final drives. I visited your website and must complement you on your work, that is a particularly neat little shed. It must be a satisfying situation to be able nurture and guide your sons to become part of a family business. Cheers.
" try and limit my comments to topics that I know a little about and, as most folks will realize my views are somewhat dated. I was just expressing surprise that a manufacturer like Deere would build a little machine where serviceable components such as brakes and steering clutches couldn't be attended to without dismantling tracks and final drives." You make an excellent point concerning J.D.,some people "including me" have no idea of the huge cost to replace a "steering clutch" Last quot from J.D. dealer, LABOR: 20 to 30 hours at $110.00 per hour PARTS: $1000.00 to $1800.00 PARTS & LABOR approx. low end, $3500.00 high end, over $5000.00 this is for one side only. This price is for a J.D. 450 B w/ dry clutches. The entire seating /control tower including fuel tank, hydraulic reservoir , all linkages, hoses, controls, and track split have to be removed prior to any work commencing replacing the clutch brake. Had I know this information I would have ran away from that machine, I can't understand what the J.D. designers were thinking when they put theses things together, unless you have the skill and a lot of time to do the work yourself don't give theses money pits a second look.
in truth im a bit of a drama queen, I should've kept my mouth shut. ive an old cat d68u im playing with and after reading your posts I would definitely seek your advice.the part I left out is when I thought I had it right I put it all back together and it didn't work! took it all back apart and had the dealer adjust it, oh and the skid plate needs to be droped. needless to say ive narrowed this procedure down to a couple of hours.
Update: Since the last post I decided the labor, cost and aggravation to be way to much. I sold this machine at a lose, and was happy to see it go. Lessons don't come cheap and i got my monies worth. Thanks for all the help and great advice, I'm now on the hunt to buy another dozer, not sure what make it will be but i will most definitely take my time looking. Thanks again, dillon
Keep looking dillon45,something will show up. I never did ask what type of work you were going to do with the dozer? I assumed possibly using to work on farm or property. Looking through machinery trader and stumbled across this IH 175c high lift & thought about this thread. It may to big for what your wanting to do but sure looks good for the money. Undercarrige looks pretty good as well. www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9125429
td25c Thanks for the info. on the machine, yes I want something to work around the farm, probably won't put more than a 100 or 200 hrs. a year if that. I'm going to take my time and not get in no hurry this time around, i don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks again td25c. dillon
It's been 33 years since I worked on a JD450, but I remember raising and suspending all that stuff on an overhead hoist and being able to get the job done in cramped misery without disconnecting much.
Is J.D, the only make that requires dismantling so much to change a "steering Brake" ? What were the designers thinking of when they put these things together, they must of realized the consequences of of angry owners spending a great deal of money to repair a component, by design, made to wear out.