Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

could have been worse

farmerted44 ยท 2006-05-04 23:26

i got permission from the boss to take a few photos of our little incident last week. luckily the 836C was on the slope nearest our dirt stockpile. axle snapped. pushed dirt across from stockpile to build a pad for the big guy...:notworthy

Replies25
  1. #1farmerted442006-05-04 23:27

    more tommorow!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2JimBruce422006-05-05 00:02

    opps Nice pictures:thumbsup I'd hate to be that operator, moving along all nice and smoothly then WHAM:Banghead I'll be looking forward to those photos tomorrow.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2006-05-05 00:34

    I don't even want to know what it's going to cost to fix that!

  4. #4Ford LT-90002006-05-05 02:36

    I wish the landfill compactor I ran was as nice as that one. The machine I run had no air conditioning and it is screaming detroit power. Landfill compactors pretty much use the same axles as a wheel loader with a few differences like extra guards around the axle seals etc. The worse part is getting the old parts out because its not going to smell that rosey even after powerwashing it for 3 hours.

  5. #5Dozerboy2006-05-05 20:09

    Cool, I have never seen an axel break like that. Your already at the dump just bury it.

  6. #6farmerted442006-05-06 00:03

    yeah no kidding anybody got any idea what it cost to bring that crane out?? 5 man support crew,tractor trailer carrying dunnage and other related support equipment ,and i believe a 165 ton grove?? i havent got up the courage to ask our manager that .. he took it all in stride.

  7. #7farmerted442006-05-06 00:09

    actually this is our old machine. 16000+ hours. our other 836 is a G . what a cadillac she is!! joystick controls, nice stereo, the works.. i believe the 836 is basically a modified 988?? someone please correct me on this assumption????

  8. #8farmerted442006-05-06 00:11

    lol, we prefer to be called a sanitary landfill. i wish i would have got some close ups of the break . it was pretty wild looking!

  9. #9farmerted442006-05-06 00:22

    here we go!!!!

  10. #10farmerted442006-05-06 00:52

    progress is moving along quite nicely

  11. #11farmerted442006-05-06 01:28

    well here we go. lets get this beast out of the working face!! that is our boss behind the wheel. great guy. he is our district manager but has no problem what so ever with getting in the seat and pushin trash or dirt . i dont know how this happened . this was supposed to start todays threads out??!!??

  12. #12rino14942006-05-06 06:36

    What was the ditch for where you had to push the dirt in for the crane ?

  13. #13Wulf2006-05-06 23:19

    16000 hrs is pretty high hours but I'm really curious what actually broke or caused the failure... did the axle spindle break or did the wheel and final drive fall off? Has the machine been overhauled, or had major components rebuilt?

  14. #14farmerted442006-05-07 08:29

    to contain storm water drainage. yeah it actually rains out here...lol

  15. #15rino14942006-05-07 08:48

    Man, that is lovely material. I don't see one rock in there. Where I work, there are more rocks than dirt and it is a pain trying to grade.

  16. #16farmerted442006-05-07 11:21

    we have an excellent maintenance program. i believe it was the spindle. i will have to ask the wrenches. turbo was overhauled 1500 hrs. ago. i dont remember if it has had a major yet.

  17. #17farmerted442006-05-07 11:24

    the material in this stock pile has been screened. it is the material from the hole we are filling now.

  18. #18farmerted442006-05-07 11:54

    there goes the wheel....

  19. #19farmerted442006-05-07 12:18

    lets move it!!!!

  20. #20farmerted442006-05-07 12:22

    time to remove an axle

  21. #21Dozerboy2006-05-08 20:59

    Cool pics:thumbsup

  22. #22farmerted442006-05-08 22:39

    :notworthy update : 836C up and running today. actually the wrench had her ready to go sat. but we only use one compactor on sat. :drinkup heres to our wrench and his two lubers!!

  23. #23dieselnut2008-12-30 21:29

    I wonder what caused that problem.

  24. #24Cmark2009-01-02 23:32

    I know this is an 836C, but I've seen 826Cs where the spindle breaks. The spindle is a seperate component that bolts to the axle case so, it could be worse...

  25. #25D5G2009-02-23 14:33

    This sure is an interesting topic, did you ever hear how much all of this cost?