It seems the pintle arm seals are leaking more heavily than I originally imagined(maybe even while the machine just sits). I've only run the 863F about a dozen times for a total of about 50min. and now the dipstick comes out dry. My thought was that maybe the BICS valve started locking more frequently as the fluid level got lower until it now just locks immediately when I try tilt. Lift still works but maybe because the tilt actuator is above the lift it gets less fluid? Also just noticed that the lower actuator is very loose as if the mounting bolt is almost completely out. Is this common?
if it still has the original "tail mount" actuators they should be able to move. std mount actuators shouldnt be loose. hand control only? or selectable hand/foot? does your LH handle have 2 idiot lights in it? :drinkup
so I realized that I had checked the fluid level with the arms up and bobtach extended. that's probably why the reservoir is low? the arms are probably gonna stay up until I'm done so I guess I'll just have to wait to check. I think the valve lock issue is in fact the tilt actuator. my reasoning is that when I switched harnesses with the lift actuator and used the tilt hand control the lift worked but the lift control handle locked the valve. the tilt actuator is firmly attached(could one be "tail mounted" and the other "std mounted"?) it's a 1998 863F with A.H.C. the LH handle does have two holes where I'm guessing lights used to be but I've never seen any light emitted out of them.
you've confirmed you have an actuator problem by switching the harnesses. it's entirely possible that you have one direct mount and one tail mount actuator installed. when you cycle the key on watch the LH handle for 2 green lights to flash on. they are diagnostic lights, and should flash a code ( if they are working, they may not be) having those lights working aids in diagnostics. my guess is that you have a bad actuator. there are many causes for actuator failure, dirty actuator, binding spool centering spring or bonnet loose oil in actuator (spool seal leaking) hyd oil level needs to be checked with the boom down and bucket flat on the ground. :drinkup
yes, there is a good amount of oil on both actuators. how challenging is repairing a leaking spool? I'm guessing I'll have to take the control valve apart? Hopefully there is a rebuild kit? if failure is caused by oil, is there any way of salvaging such an actuator?
oil IN actuator. there is a thread in this forum that deals with bobcat spool seal replacement. read up on it. if tried many times, but once an actuator gets oil in it from a leaking seal, it will never work reliably 100%, or may not even work at all.... :drinkup
so these are the actuators. the bottom actuator which I assume is the working one that controls lift, rotates about 5° when I grab it and try to move it. its corresponding spool seems to be the source of fluid leak. as the photos illustrate, the top one looks very different. it has no rubber boots, instead it has something that looks like an aluminum adapter. (could the spool be leaking out through the adapter and into the actuator without being evident from the outside?) so, it seems that the top one which is a more recent actuator with less oil on it has failed. if caused by spool binding, can i tell after removing the actuator? is the "spool centering spring and bonnet" on the opposite side of the control valve? also, it seems that unlike being attached at the rear like the lower(lift) actuator, the top(tilt) actuator is attached only where it meets the spool?
the tilt is attached by the 2 allen head screws, and pinned to the spool. there are 2 threads here on HEF you should take a look at before you start tearing stuff apart, both have LOTS of pics and step by step instructions for seal replacement, and (if needed) detent ball/spring replacement :drinkup
which threads? how can I find them? is this one of them? : HeavyEquipmentForums
yep thats the seal replacement thread. wille59's decription is for mechanical foot controls, with a later control valve, but the idea is basically the same. instead of linkage and the large block on the front of the valve, you have actuators and a different seal retainer setup. you may be able to print out a parts diagram with PN's from bobcat's website, or a polite call to a bobcat dealer and they may print it out or email it to you. :drinkup