Two pictures, attached. Location -- possibly in Maryland (pictures sent to me by a son).
That's not a load securement issue. In my opinion. I've never seen anyone tie down the upper structure aside from the bucket.
After looking at these pictures it makes one wonder if we shouldn't start tying to the upper structure like we used to do with old excavators and cranes though. It seems that there would have been some indication when loading, especially at the angle required on that tilt deck, that something was amiss. It doesn't appear that anyone was hurt...fortunately!
I would guess that the boom was up too high and he hit something, but then the trailer isn't bent.... Weird.
Oxbow... It also makes me think that as well about securing the upper. Honestly I dont think it has ever crossed my mind that this could happen. Personally, I worry more about the machine sliding to one side or the other than I would something like this.
Dont go under low bridges
No need to worry about excavators falling apart. http://www.recordonline.com/article/20160113/NEWS/160119750 The damage on the back and the loose chains just didn't look right.
The damage on the back was from the boom folding back and hitting the engine cover, notice the direction of traffic and the truck hauling it is parked just up on the right. probably snapped the boom cylinder(s) off at the pins. I NEVER haul an excavator with the boom forward, always to the back, one chain over the bucket or stick. Inexperience?
The loose chains were the first thing that caught my eye. They're loose because the undercarriage they were bound to moved backwards. The ones on the front probably snapped with the impact... On edit: Yes. They were used to secure a machine to a truck driven by somebody getting set to have a bad day.
I'm surprised the bearing broke, particularly if the front chains broke. Maybe there was slack in the chains to start with, and the front ones are now VERY tight, and are huge. Can somebody with a bigger screen tell if it broke the bearing, or sheared the bolts?
Mitch, I can't tell from the quality of the pictures after blowing them up. And a large insurance claim, the policy man is not going to be happy..
just one more reason truck need to carry a spare set of shorts. I know I woulda had to clean mine out after that.
Anybody think the truck carrying the u/c may have just loaded it? It does say Rig Towing on the side of the trailer, so maybe they picked up the u/c and just haven't finished tying it down yet.
Good point. I have yet to see one where the trailer isn't sprung. That trailer still has an arch. What if the boom went on the high side of the bridge when it caught. That would explain the kink in the back tin peeling everything back instead of pushing down.
The newspaper article said the truck that hit the bridge was owned by Big Towing inc. A '95 Pete
You can also see in the picture where the upper structure slid down the road on its side
I haul mine (JD 790E LC) with the boom forward. BUT, it is folded down between the I-beams of the neck and the high point on the boom is lower than the bunk on the truck! Andrew
Pretty much every hoe I see transported here is facing backwards. Saves on windshields to a certain degree and allows for better weight transfer.
Forward, backward or sideways, smoking a bridge is going to end badly.
Damn straight!
I'm not saying it wasn't one of their trucks that hit it in the first place, but it is quite possible the on in the picture isn't the one. They could very well have more than one truck, and I have yet to see a towing company that used another company to clean up after themselves if they still had trucks left to use.
Good point!
Down here in Orygun, you get whoever the police call to clear the highway almost without exception.
What, you don't like to here Oragone?
You outta hear how some folks murder Willamette, Tualatin, Puyallup, Snoqualmie, Ione, etc.
Pend Oreille, Couer D'Alene, Moscow, Tensed, are among those that get abused here. My wife tells me I butchered Sepulveda, in Ca. pretty bad. Sorry folks, off topic.
LMAO, Thanks.
Found a front shot
That's a different trailer than it was on in the other picture, so it must have been on the other one when it hit the bridge....so much for my theory....LOL.
and I was being nice and not mentioning it.....:waving
How in the world do you manage to get a boom on only a 75 size hoe high enough to hit a bridge?????? Was the stick straight up and down? Drivers first, and last day on the job? Many unanswered questions here.
Oddly enough I can't see much damage to the boom, other than the arm cylinder is knackered.. wonder if the top half just fell off?
Not to argue, but look again at the extra bend in the boom. It got wacked pretty hard.
look at the word Deere it is wrinkled up
LMAO! Must have been half asleep, in my defense it is a zero tailswing and some of them have booms that are bent like that. Maybe I should switch from beer to whiskey, then I would have an excuse. :tong
Looks like sunbelt rental unit , by decal on boom ? Some of these outfits will put anybody in a truck . No training and hurry up .
Just my experience, but the rental outfits around here seem to do a really good job transporting equipment. They always have the right number of chains and things look well secured. Compared to the local contractors who just toss one chain over the bucket because they are "just going across town", I feel a lot safer next to the rental outfit truck on the road.
I agree. The rental outfits around here are real professionals hauling equipment. And you will never see them unload a manlift with out the proper safety harness on.
The machine was being hauled by a towing company Big Tows, inc. Not the same trailer as the last pic, but the same company.
I think it should buff out ! It hit the bridge, so the story goes....not that far away from where I reside..