I think I found all the grease fittings on the 963B but can't seem to find a fitting on the bucket lower arm pins?? The operators manual shows that as a lubrication point. Am I missing something or is it greased with something other than a grease gun? And anyone familiar with a bright green hydraulic fluid? Just picked up the machine and changed all the fluids and filters. I've included a picture of what the hydrostat fluid looked like.
The lower bucket pins are lubed and sealed from the factory. Once they go out they are a PITA to replace. I think went back to the old style on the D models. Can't help on the green stuff. James
Green stuff does not look good at all might have to do a flush n etc. Get the green stuff tested
The grease insert would be on the outside on the loader arms not the bucket. There'll be a hole to protect it might be full of dirt. Take a screwdriver n scrap it out
I think this thread will tell you all you need to know about the lubrication of the bucket pins ......... HeavyEquipmentForums The first thought that sprung to mind when I saw that green stuff was "Does this look infected to you..?" Be VEWY VEWY CAREFUL - the fluid specification for the HPCU does not allow for any deviation at all.
To myself appears to be entrained dirt in the Hydraulic, picks up a green hue due to the oil and dust mix. Possibly a taste of water as well. Change it and see what flushes out, may have to perform a second dump.
I did not know that there was a different style there. Good read on that old post
I recall way back in the mists of time using a length of det cord and a capped fuse to get some particularly stubborn collets out of a 992C Lift Arm. We took the loader away from the workshop up on a waste dump. Good job really, because we got a bit over-energetic with the det cord and dropped one collet 300 yards away...... Reminded me at the time of Michael Caine’s “you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off” line from the Italian Job.
I would take the wise advice that has been posted and test that hydraulic fluid. Then refill, drain and repeat at least once, it may take many times. What do you think it is? Algae?
Great info as always on the forum!! The mechanic helping me with this machine said the same thing about the lift arm pins. I just didn't think they would make a pin you couldn't grease. As for the algae oil, there's now a fresh batch of CAT spec'd hydraulic oil in the HPCU. Hoping not too much damage was done by running the "infected" stuff through the system and probably a good idea to flush and refill one more time for good measure. When I asked the salesman about the greenish hue through the site glass, I was told "Nothing to worry about, it's just the newer style additive they put in those". That statement now ranks number two on the list of "crap salesman will tell you to move their product". First on the list came from trying to buy a beater ski boat, "that boat is perfect.....she runs like a scalded dog". After he went through a can of starter fluid and two batteries, I had to walk!! Thanks Nige for the 963C pin diagram and removal procedures pdf. Will probably be needed sometime in the near future.
Correct me if im.wrong but I think they make green hydraulic fluid n its bio fluid making it green. But however I would get it tested
You are correct. Green Marine and Kleen Green are a couple of examples of environmentally friendly hydraulic oil but I'm guessing it doesn't meet the specs for the HPCU. Will send a sample out to the lab and report back with results.
The problem you will likely run into is that most probably "environmentally friendly" hydraulic fluids weren't even a figment of someone's imagination when your machine was built, therefore there will be nothing in the manual to cover the use of such oils........and there are a lot of high-value parts in an HPCU.
TBH that oil doesn't look too different from the old mineral Hydo SAE10. Just looks like some crap has dropped into the bucket with it. Hydo can look different depending how the light falls on it, but I've seen brand new out-of-the-drum Hydo look that colour. I wouldn't re-use it though, and as Nige and others have said, it's worth getting it analysed to see what bits of your machine have come out with it, if any.
I need this pin diagram and removal procedures too.I have never put grease here and i think this is not good.Nige is the best guy in the forum.He helps me a lot when i want it.