Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crash and fire closes I-5, one dead

skyking1 ยท 2025-04-29 12:34

A young guy in his 20's lost his life in a single truck accident this morning. The roads were wet at 430 when it hit the barrier hard, jackknifed and caught fire. RIP. Source of article and photo

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-04-29 13:49

    And who knows when investigation will reveal true cause, I say true because too many assume.

  2. #2skyking12025-04-29 19:06

    I drove through on the way to the new homestead, 9 hours after the accident. Good sense would have sent me the long way around. There were all sorts of follow on wrecks happening. The State Patrol was busy with that. I got to the scene and the fire mess was extensive. Lots of sand to mop it up, and 4 barriers replaced. It was business as usual and I wanted to take a moment and acknowledge the loss of life. One news channel referred to it as a "rollover accident". That was a bunch of bunk. It jackknifed and slid and hit the barriers hard enough to move 10 of them, but it was all upright. No one else was hurt despite debris getting spread across the southbound lanes too. The barrier did the job and kept the truck from getting across into oncoming traffic. I won't speculate as to a cause. I do know that if it were me personally, I'd be OK if I was starting my day at 430 but if it was at the other end of a long day, I am having a very hard time of it, in the dark and rain.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-04-29 19:54

    A little known fact when it comes to commercial drivers--Wrecks on Mondays are believe it or not a high percentage and probable. Drivers have been off doing what people do some- times on weekends. By statistics most are caused by lack of proper sleep on days off. Monday rolls around and drivers are not on the game and spend a day getting back into it. Plus if personal life is full of drama come the weekend, especially when relationships are rocky with children involved---many commercial drivers are mentally not there Monday morning. * But like I mentioned above--proper investigation will take a bit.

  4. #4Truck Shop2025-04-29 20:06

    And to add to the Monday thing I posted above----this incident a fatality and I found out Saturday was deemed company at fault. Jan 6th a Monday. *