Alright everybody. I have seen threads for every other rig in the woods. How about a thread for your crummy pics and stories. Let's see what you've got and hear what you have had the best luck with. I'll start out with ours. It's an '07 F-550. Custom crew box and service body. 110 gallon fuel tank in the back. The crew box came off an old union pacific boom truck. Gives us the ability to haul 10 guys in one rig. So, yes, its a six pack with a love shack. Sorry. Had to show off a nice 64" no1 peeler
I haven't heard the term "crummy" for years. All I've heard lately is "crew buss". You are bringing back memories.
I dont have any good crummy pics handy but HOLY COW you boys are workin' in some beautiful wood HCF! Are you sure you're showing off your crummy or your timber sale here?? Anyway, I was so busy checking out the fir deck I barely noticed your rig there. Best crummy story I have has to do with a Weyerhaeuser 'quality control' fellow- you know- they guy who doesn't know jack about anything yet shows up on your landing and tells you your sorts are all wrong? Yep- thay guy! Anyway during the 1st rig-up the skyline extensions had been dropped on the road by the line truck, and the line truck had gone. Crew was all out over the hill setting up, yarder engineer didnt see the quality guy come in, and that's all it took. He was walking to the yarder and the skyline came up tight- turns out he had parked square over top of the line in the road and it threw his pickup 150' off the road and right now! Lucky nobody-mainly HIM- got hurt or killed. Company side, company-owned Ford pickup, so naturally nobody got fired. One of us contractors ever did that we'd be done right then and there- even if it WAS his fault! I was loading trucks across the canyon but saw the whole thing clearly. Wish I had a pic of that white F-150! What a mess. Bunch of idiots, that whole crew.
That's funny. Those guys really are something. This sale was actually last summer in southern Oregon. Don't want to say where exactly for fear there could be a secret greenie spy who could be gearing up to take the forest service to court and hold up the other 14 and a half million board feet on the other half of the sale. Believe it or not it's a DDD salvage or dead down and dying. Beautiful wood though. 14 rings per inch was about average. With two clear logs before you hit the tops. Which we were hand piling limbs larger than most of the wood coming to town on weyerhauser mule trains these days. Anyways. We had a guy working with us one summer who was studying to be some kind of ologist. The guy was into rocks and summer dust makes great crusty boogers. So a good friend of mine decided he would make a booger rock on the way back to town. Handed the future ologist the booger rock looking confused and said "what kind of rock is this?". The college educated guy looked at it and licked the dang thing. I almost lost my lunch. That's my two cents on college educated "smart" people.
I am new here and figured that this is as good as any place to make my first post. This is my Crummy (and daily driver) 99 F350 PSD that I have had since new. Put the lift on when wife and I started our field heavy equipment maintenance outfit so it would be easier to get in and out of the jobs. Link to our facebook if any of you are on there.
Sorry, here is the link http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...es/Lawton/Viking-Heavy-Diesel/111292538909710
Nice. Does that still have a 7.3L in it? We are having tons and tons of problems with the injectors in our 6.0L. Had to replace all 8 at 100,000 miles and went out this morning and found that the ole girl wouldn't fire. As it sits it has 162,431 miles on it. We even use fuel addative and swap fuel filters every 5,000 miles. At a cost of $3,200.00 for parts and labor every time the injectors fail. There goes all our profits from the last few weeks.
I have had horrible issues with 6.0s and am constantly working on them. I am not biased, 7.3s break down to but not nearly as much or as expensively as 6.0s do. I have 190000 on this truck. Original motor with original parts on it minus the turbo. I upgraded it to a bigger one as I over boosted it and blew it apart. The trans was rebuilt at 169000 to a much stronger setup. Other then that the truck has been worry free.
Take a look at powerstroke .org. That is the best source for info on any of these trucks that I have ever found. Lots and lots of experiance and knowledge there. Also lots of Ford mechanics on there.
Cattle Car Nobody hurt or in it, just parked a close to where they were falling...... Ops
Crummy Got a HEMI in there !!!
Oops! It's a good picture to chuckle about knowing that nobody was in it. I bet the boss wasn't so happy to see that.
Ouch! I'd give my left arm for one of those old crummies today. The M&B QCD ones were absolute bare bones, no power steering, not even an AM radio. Just a plate that said "FORD" where the radio went. 300 six, and most had the "I" beam front end. Really nice to drive, we still have one for hauling the fire equipment. Steers a lot better than the power steering trucks. The crummy bodies were built by Jacobs Brothers in Richmond, later they changed their name to "Custom Engineering." M&B must have bought 5000 of those crummy bodies, there were sure lots of them around. They used to scrap/sell the whole units after only about five years, in some cases. Later they started saving the bodies for the next batch of trucks. Seems to me, WCB required crummies to have an emergency brake on the driveline, and they had a hand brake with a drum on the transmission. HDX will remember if I'm right!
Those old 300 sixes had pleanty of power and were a whole heck of a lot better on fuel than a 460 or even a 390. I've never driven an old crummy but I've had a couple old pickups. One of the riggin shops I used to work for actually had 300 sixes on both their line cars. They never even needed a puff of starting fluid. Thanks for the great pictures guys. I'll try and snap a couple more of our crummy next time it's on the lot and the suns up.
Well, as usual, I have no pics....but I do have a story. First, as a Warehouseman I generally didn't ride in a Crummy much but when I first started to work for BCFP at Renfrew it was on the Forestry Crew. In those days most companies had their own forestry crews that planted trees, spaced plantations and generally did what needed to be done in those areas. Pretty well all contracted out nowadays but not so back then. Anyway, when you live in a logging camp, work like a dog every day and then eat like a horse in the cookhouse every day too you will sometimes achieve that state where even the tiniest and most silent of your farts will absolutely gag a maggot. I found myself in possession of a number of such killer farts one morning and, as fate would have it, I ended up sitting right above the heater with its blower fan in one of the front seats. I became aware of my power upon releasing the first silent wonder, which immediately spread throughout the confines of the crummy. "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??" was the first response I recall, quickly followed by much gagging and choking. I, of course, sat silently with as innocent a look as possible on my face. Inside I was peeing myself with laughter, but I didn't reveal anything at all. A couple of miles passed and the crummy had aired out some when I released my second little pfftt. I was most gratified when the reaction was again almost immediate and again consisted of much wailing, gagging, opening of windows and protests against whomever had passed this horrible gaseous mixture from some dark place. Naturally I went along with attempting to shame out the perp and called long and loud for his head.....or some part of his body....all the while feigning innocence of course. My third contribution to the morning ride led to one of the guys pulling the stop cord while another pounded on the front crummy window while yelling for the driver to stop. He stopped and we all piled out amidst much cursing and accusations etc. etc. I never copped that it was me and tried to blame everyone else of course, so nobody really knew who it was in the end. I have rarely felt so powerful. LOL But it's true, I once stunk up a crummy so bad with three little silent farts that the crew had to stop and get out to get fresh air. Good times. Take care.
I did that once in the darkroom with a "buddy".We had gone to the service club photo lab to develop our film and there was just about enough room for two people in there.It was designed for just one I am sure.Back in those days you could open a 35mm film canister by just hitting the spool end on a hard object which is the only way that I ever opened them.It does not seem to work on the newer film canisters. Well,I waited for my buddy to pop his open and the rest is history.I still laugh to this day when I think about it.Ron G
That's awesome guys. We used to have a 2000 ford e-350 twelve passenger van for a crummy. It was a 4x4 conversion done by quigly I think. Basically a factory option. We put a roof rack on top of it and that's where our 5 power saws, about 15 gallons of saw gas, five gallons of bar oil and all our hand tools went. We took the back seat out and put up an expanded metal screen to hang saw bars, chains and everyones packs on. With just myself and the old man in it we crossed the scales at 12,000 pounds. Once you got a ten man crew in there it got pretty heavy. Anyways, here's a couple more pics of our current crummy. Heres a pic showing the crew box and the hand tool basket. A pic of the rear. Box on the top left is the saw box. Under that is a 130 gallon fuel tank for burn season.
My crummy [/IMG] [/IMG]
Nice jack. That must be a new feature on the chevy pickups. Haha. That would be the quickest way to get a rig in the air though.
1979 Ford - M & B Sproat Lake Div. I finally found this photo after months of looking for it. I spent lots of time keeping dry inside this unit back in the late '70s, while I worked as a Chaser on the Y35 Grapple Yarder.
Impressive, I must say. I once made good use of a pedestal fan, after a steady diet of beans (a mixture of several varieties, laced with Lipton's Onion Soup), and cleared off an entire loading dock. This was a pre-calculated form of payback. After everyone jumped off the dock and stood around accusing each other, I took credit, turned to the guilty party, and reminded him of the evils of starting something he can't stop. We rode together on a delivery route that night, but our working relationship was somewhat strained. I even had the decency to warn him each time I felt one coming on, so he could roll his window down. He finally gave up and no longer even bothered doing so, because it didn't do any good. Fun, fun times. Step right up, folks. Post your best fart story in the crummy thread.
Very nice pictures thanks for scharing !
I have a gas passing story. Not in our current crummy but in our old 2000 ford e-350. It was a twelve passenger van with a 4x4 conversion and a roof rack on top. We were headed down to Cow creek out of riddle on I-5 and one of our drunkard gotta have 10 people on a last minute call for a job guys fell asleep. Guy liked to drink malt liquor and had some terrible farts. He ripped a couple dead animal smelling farts off and we had to pull over and threaten him with walking home from Roseburg to get him to stop. it was terrible. The crummy driver drove with the AC on in the mornings and the heater on in the afternoon the rest of the week. Just so nobody could sleep anymore. He said that if everyone wanted to ride in a cesspool then we could ride in a trailer full of sewage. He was so mad. Anyone ever have problems with people leaving garbage under the seats? That's our problem now days. So we make everyone clean out under their seats every Friday when we stop for fuel.
There is a similar story Contract Logger, that happened on the white river tree farm years back. I wont say his name- his crew was tired of of how he treated and was quite a screamer, so he showed up on the landing with a brand new pickup, parked over the skyline, started screaming at the crew and low and behold the yarder engineer, pulled up the skyline and there went his brand new truck right off the edge! I believe most of his crew quit that day.
I know who that was !! isx
International harvestor 4x4 Sixpac crummy Mead logging job for IP near Apairy Oregon also in picture is cancar c7 fixed boom and a 466 Koehring. Bob Tull of Scappoose was lead trucker.
Mead logging crummy Banks Oregon Purchased at the Vader Wa. auction this crummy spent time Traveling to Mt. St.Helens for the salvage effort. Mead's had two yarders sitting back to back on a hill top logging ash covered blow down. One was a Westcoast falcon, the other was a Thunderbird model B. Someone once told me that from one of the hilltops near the blast zone a person could count at least 18 yarder towers. All the machines were part of Weyco's salvage effort after the eruption. All the Yarder crews,cutters, log trucks, fuel trucks, ect.. used the same one lane gravel road. With 500 trucks a day there were a few mishaps.
Our Crummy. My brother bought a used 1960 something GMC crummy from Aloha Lumber Co. We used it to drive back & forth to our Creek cleaning jobs. It had a V6 and a standard tranny. My brother hadn't got used to the limited power of the V6 yet, when we came up behind an off highway Peterbilt hauling a load of old growth cedar. We knew there was a turnout ahead where we could pass. Well, we could pass if we had a V8. Out around the Peterbilt we went. Petal to the metal. We ran out of passing room before we ran out of Peterbilt. We launched off a mound of gravel at the end of the turnout. To Dan's credit, he kept it 'to the wood'. We bounced and heaved, and so did the crummy. After a considerable amount of 'ditch digging', we found ourselves back on the logging road in front of the Peterbilt. BARELY in front! We had left a few parts behind. Some more important than others. We drove our used GMC back home minus the exhaust, brakes, and other minor parts. The steering was completely messed up. It never left the yard again. Always imagined the Peterbilt driver laughing his ass off at us.
My grandpa did a lot of salvage logging on st helens. He owned Triple "C" Logging. Could have been called something else back then. I heard the ash was harder on undercarriages than a drunk cat skinner.
@akroadrunner: I can just imagine what kinds of stories that truck driver told everyone about the little crummy that couldn't. Haha. The joys of working in the brush.
It's not really a crummy since it isn't a crew cab, but I'm a one man crew all by myself. Less than 100,000 miles on this 94. I drive it on the beach up here, which is a risky thing to do. Especially on the north end of the peninsula. I also take it out on the frozen pipelines in winter. I haul several moose with it every fall. I've taken 16 of them with my bow. Anyway, here's my p.u.
I believe the '94 thru '97 F-250 HD pickups will go down in history as the best of the Ford pickups ever built, except for the leg room. At 6'4, I can't fit comfortably into a standard cab truck made back then. I have a '95 F-250 HD Supercab with a 351 and a 5-speed, with a mere 87,000 miles on it. Dark blue, still looks nice, and I keep it up meticulously. That includes Redline MTL in the trans since the 30,000 mile mark. Gievn the chance, I would not trade it for a newer model.
I Don't know its hard to beat the 99-2003 7.3L F-series. I have a pair of them with over 380,000 miles on them. Wouldn't trade them for any new truck.
Is that truck Gas or Diesel. From the pic I am guessing gas unless its a pre powerstroke.
It's gas. 5.8 liter. Pretty much plain jane, all stock except the tire and wheels, and stereo. Had it all set up for pilot car work at one time, but just recently pulled off the beacons. Still have the CB in it though. If I am called for a pilot car job, I can use my magnet mount beacons. I have a receiver on the headache rack where I can quickly mount the oversize signs. I also removed my company logo from the truck as our new DOT guy has been pulling over company pick ups, (especially if you're pulling a trailer) and he wants to see ALL the necessary paper work and you better have a usdot number on the vehicle. Oh, I push sprint cars with it too at the local dirt track.
I have got a new crummy now so I thought I would share with everyone. 2008 Ford F-450 4X4. Transfer tank, tool box, Cobra 29 LX digital Cb and all sorts of other good stuff.
Nice looking ride. ...drool.... Take care.
How are you all handling the 6.4 liter Ford diesel in service trucks? We have one and the thing is an unmitigated disaster. The boss is trying to sell that lemon right away.
Here is my old beater....Got rid of an 07 for this bucket but wouldn't trade it for the world!!
I love mine. No complaints. I have it completely stock for the most part.
Two from this summer: Don't see much for crew moves here as most operators take individual trucks out.
Here comes my only crummy picture, from Coal Harbour VI. I remember them as crowdy and cloudy inside (Players Plain), not to mention the rough ride. But they did the job every day on rough roads.
I remember that most of those old Ford Crummy's had the strait 6 cly engine with a 4 sp transmission, they lasted for ever and were real slow going up the hills but pretty fast going down the hills on the way home, specially on Friday payday.
Wish I had pics but instead a story and not from me. This is about a crummy my Father drove when he worked for Schafer Bros Logging in the late 40s. Schafers was cheap when it came to buying new equipment. They had an old bone yard of obsolete equipment that they were not afraid to try and rejuvenate. This particular machine was a result of one of their rebuilds. It was and old log truck. So old it had the type of air brakes that when you lost air you lost all brakes. They had the idea to put two smaller gas engines in it beings they didn't want to buy a big enough engine for a log truck. It had two straight 6 gas engines mounted side by side, each one had its own radiator in front, two seperate clutches (not syncro) and two seperate 5 speed main boxes side by side and two seperate 4 speed brownies behind them. The clutches linkage was attached to one pedal as were the throttles. The transmissions each had a shifter through the floor and were welded together, same with the brownies. He says it was worth your life to shift it and impossible to downshift. It had a wooden box on the back with wooden benches. Hard to complain about your crummy when you hear him tell the story.
I have a brand new 6-foot misery whip with handles that my Dad bought from Schafer Bros. when they sold out. As a Boy Scout, I camped at a place called Schafer's Cabin, which I believe may have been their family's original homeplace. I still recall the story about Weyco trying to buy Schafer out. Schafer hated Weyco so badly that they refused, and sold out to Simpson for a lower price out of spite. As the story goes, in about a week or so, Simpson turned around and sold the whole shebang to Weyco for a profit. I assume there was no joy when the Schafers found out. Last time I saw their old shops and roundhouse in Brady was in Spring of 2002. The whole place still looked good after all these years. My Dad was hired on with Weyco by a gent named Ken Schaeffer (different spelling) who started out with Schafer Bros. They remained friends for many years after they both retired. Been to Schafer State Park and Swinging Bridge Park many times as a kid. Lots of great memories.
Here's one of BCFP's late 50's International pickup with a back spar in the background .
My Dad went to school with Ken. He calls him Kenney. We had heard he had a stroke a couple years ago and have no recent news of him. My Dad worked for Schafers a couple different times but it was when he worked at the Olympic Camp near Grisdale that he spent the most time. My mother was a flunky there also. I believe my Dad quit them not long after they quit RR logging and went to trucks. He was a climber and hooked at the time. Still alive and in good shape at 92.
Here is my "crummy" and small skidder with double 5 ton winch i used when i was contracting back here in my younger days. Used the pickup for some light snow plowing as well with a V shaped plow and for powering the sircle saw used for cutting winter firewood. Wish i never scrapped the car.
Back before I was born, Mom & Dad lived in Headquarters, Idaho, where Dad worked for Potlatch. He worked with Red McCollister, and they lived right beside each other in town. They had one payphone at the drug store, and it was seldom that anyone even got a call. One evening, someone came running to get my dad at the house, and said he had a phone call at the drug store. It was Ken Schaeffer, calling with a job offer for my dad to come to Weyco Twin Harbors. That was in about 1954, I believe, before I was born. Last I knew, Ken and his wife Betty were still living in Arizona. Phoenix, I believe. I heard Ken had a stroke. He also had some other serius issue, like prostate cancer, which really took its toll. I believe Betty is still alive. Don Friend passed away about a year and a half ago also, if you knew him. He and Sam Rikalo were both first class gents.
There still are quite a few crummys/bush trucks driving around bc some even have the old decals like macblo or bcfp on them and why where all non macblo trucks yellow and green
I think at one time almost everyone was yellow and green (or black hood ) including M&B
Here John ..try these photos...This is my first day posting here...oddly enough still trying to figure out how to place individual pics here http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/logging-pick-up-trmucks-and-crummies.html Mike P
I have a collection of photos of old dead and abandoned crummies...and a few from the days when they were taking my dad to work for Jackson Bros. My first job for Jacksons was in the summers when I was off school...I used to wash out the crummies and help to service them....mid 70's There's more photos here http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/logging-pick-up-trucks-and-crummies.html
it my personal truck/pliot car thought i would show you guys my new sticker, i got this fourth and was showing it off in the logging capital of the world Forks Washington
kinda off topic but here is a crummy song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMaKsAwrkZ
Your link is not working,looks like you forgot to ad one letter so here's a working link ,Gypo Crummy by Craig & Terry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMaKsAwrkZM
Okay I guess I did not copy it properly
Cool crumminess to bad they do not drive
Heres my 1996 Ford F-350 crewcab crummy with 304,000 miles!
Gorgeous truck, but can you really call that a crummy? More like a mountain limo! I suggest that you take it out and find a big fir stump to hit with all four sides and corners ( repeat if necessary ) Then spend about 2 hours throwing one inch steel yarder chokers in and out of the box. Then coat the box with diesel, chain saw gas and chain oil. Leave you lunches under the seat for at least 30 days with the windows rolled up Tear off at least half of the window cranks and door handles. ( if power windows..make sure that the window falls of the track on sub zero temperature days.) At some point, you might try using a 400 size excavator to lower a piece of gear weighing 5000 to 8000 lbs into the box, using questionable chain or cable. Better yet, use some 20 year old nylon tow boat rope. Make sure the operator is hung over. While you have the chains and cables out. Look for a loaded logging truck to try pulling out of a ditch. But seriously, that is a great looking truck. I have good memories of working life when those trucks were new. Different times for sure.
DerelictTexture: Thanks! I got a good laugh at all of the true crummy specs that you listed! This one has had a good life!
Your welcome. It's all from the "West Coast Loggers How To Manual", chapter seven..."How to Abuse Your Machine While Making it Look Like You Know What You're Doing" At the end of the book there is a test. You get a 40 pound, smoothly polished stainless steel ball. You have 5 working days to totally screw it up, and make it unrecognizable. Now you're logging.
Ha!! You forgot the most important part of that test. You get to use only a rubber hammer. (grin) I knew several guys who passed that test too. Didn't matter what you gave them they'd break it...............somehow. lol Take care
East coast loggers are good at that too.
Man, some of the crummies I had... Windows didn't work at all on some, the cranks turned with nothing attached. One night I got stuck in the mud and needed low range, the bloody thing got stuck in low and I was doing 20 all the way home. Another crummy the headlights used to randomly go out, but if you punched the top of the steering column they came back on! Same one had only wide open and full off on the heater blower. It also kicked out of gear when you hit a pothole. Another truck, if you hit a bump the drivers door would fly open. That really wakes you up! Same truck the windshield wipers literally fell apart in a snow storm. Took an hour finding everything in the boneyard to put it back together.
[quote:Your welcome. It's all from the "West Coast Loggers How To Manual", chapter seven..."How to Abuse Your Machine While Making it Look Like You Know What You're Doing" At the end of the book there is a test. You get a 40 pound, smoothly polished stainless steel ball. You have 5 working days to totally screw it up, and make it unrecognizable. Now you're logging.quote] Can you find that "West Coast Loggers How To Manual" online in PDF form like the OSHA yarding and loading handbook and the Work Safe BC handbook... P.S. I think I could be one of those guys that could make the ball unrecognizable I think I have just the right way todo it with a rubber hammer...
These are some brochures I got years ago, in the 1980's, from Custom Engineering in Delta, BC. Another 3 to come, so enjoy!
Here are the other brochures from Custom Engineering in Delta, BC. Enjoy!
You had to do that Cam Now I have to go looking for the set of brand new Custom Engineering mudflaps that are around here SOMEWHERE LOL
I hate to tell ya but The Forks hasn't produced much but meth & reprod for the last 25 years. Sad but true.
Dear,HDX The saddest part of these brochures for me and probably others is that none of the companies in the brochures are around any more like Rayonier Canada BC LTD, Tahsis Company,BCFP and M&B.
Whats the story with Tahsis ?? I remember building trucks for them but I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere and haven't seen any pics of their trucks or equipment..If I recall we built some P-16's for them..Were they a small company ??
Tahsis was first bought out by Pacific and then Western. They had two company div's Gold River and Zeballos
CPS..sold out there mesachie lake camp and assets to Herb Doman in 96..which later was bought out by Western.. western..closed western pulp in port Alice and gold River..and squamish pulp mill .and few others..they kept. The old CPS tree Nursery in Saanich going.. western is slowly shutting down on the island now..going into Real state..like Coverdon did aka Timberwaste..or mosaic..