Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yarder whistle

HCF ยท 2010-11-15 21:41

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I need a yarder whistle. Just the horn. Called modern and they wanted me to give them the keys to my truck and sign a contract for my first born child for the one they have. If you have one and want a reasonable price send me a PM. I'm going to put it on my box at work for a break horn. So it doesn't need to be nice. It just needs to work. Any help finding one is greatly appreciated.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies19
  1. #1jackd2010-11-15 21:59

    I can still hear the whistles of 30 years ago like they were yesterday. I wouldn't mind one of those myself - if the price was right. I went camping many years ago around Alouette Lake and started having wierd logging dreams just before I woke up - I was back 'pulling rigging'. I finally woke up and I could hear the faintest sounds of a logging show in action - but only when the wind was blowing just right. My guess was that there was an active logging show one valley over out in the Fraser Valley. Amazing how it brought all the memmories back.

  2. #2HCF2010-11-15 23:38

    Yeah. I have never really worked on the rigging for any great amount of time. Just long enough to know that there are some outfits that you just can't work for these days. I have done alot of reforestation though. My dad owns a reforestation company and that's what I spent my summers doing while in high school. I remember doing a job down by lemolo lake on highway 138 east of Roseburg. We were putting a hand fire line around a unit of big wood while they were logging it. It was a great experience. We are actually looking at buying an excavator this next spring for piling brush. It should be a good chance to get my old ford outfitted as a mobile welding rig and maybe make some money on the side.

  3. #3jackd2010-11-15 23:52

    I always liked blowing "Shave and a Haircut" with my 'bug' as the last turn hit the landing at the end of the day. It took some getting used to because of the time delay between the radio receiver and the actual horn doing it's bit. It was easy to get all screwed up. I can still remember the Loading Shovels blowing the same as they loaded the last 'Peaker' on the truck in the landing. Those were the days.

  4. #4580bruce2010-11-15 23:58

    I can still remember hearing those as a kid.I lived just outside Black Diamond Wa.Remember whistles and the moan of far off Detroit powered skidders!

  5. #5donkey doctor2010-11-16 00:22

    I like to blow for the hooker on New years eve midnight. Had to give it up tho cause it scared the neighbors horses so bad they were still tremblying at noon New years day. Love the sound of it tho.

  6. #6HCF2010-11-16 01:54

    Those ole jimmies sure howl. I remember the first time I heard one coming towards us in the brush. I just knew that thing was doing 50 miles an hour. Nope. It was just turning around on the landing at .5mph and 3500rpm. I just wish modern machinery didn't want so much for a new one. We have truck horns popping off all day backing into the bay to be loaded with stuff were sending to be painted. I was wanting something loud and different. One of the coolest things I have seen was a missed stop whistle on a rather large turn of 60"+ fir. I had always heard of the fire flows in the sky but had never seen it for myself until then. I also learned that a MK V bowman doesn't look or work so good after it comes screaming out of the sky hooked to 10,000 feet of timber.

  7. #7DirtHauler2010-11-16 07:03

    you are looking for a cunningham air whistle. (actually a horn) check ebay they are small only like 4" long and 3" round.

  8. #8HCF2010-11-16 08:54

    @dirthauler. +1. I never knew there was a company that made those things but 125 db at 25 feet sounds familiar. Thanks for the help.

  9. #9akroadrunner2011-04-05 12:24

    Shave and a Haircut. Yes, that was a tough one depending on your distance from the yarder. Most guys that I ever saw try it, completely flubbed it at about halfway. Really just had to pay attention to what you were doing, and NOT what you were hearing. I used to bellow out, (still can) a heck of a Tarzan Yell. Had a couple of new cutters, and I let go from up on the landing for the rigging crew, a few good yells. They always liked that. Well, pretty soon the cutters showed up at the landing. Too early to be shutting down for the day. I asked them 'what's up?' One of them told me they heard something that gave them the creeps and had to get out of there. Still confused, I asked them exactly what they heard. One of them said, "I don't know, but it sounded like a wild animal caught in a trap". Then I remembered doing the Tarzan yell earlier. I said, "Did it sound like this?" and let out another. Those boys were peed off. Told me it was too late in the day to hike all the way back to where they were cutting. Got in their pickup and headed home. We all had some real good laughs about that one.

  10. #10trakloader2011-04-05 13:36

    I think I have an Airchime yarder whistle or two. Also have a big Airchime loader horn. Lots of fun blowing it with the air compressor.

  11. #11Born2clearcut2011-04-05 14:19

    I pulled rigging for many years when younger , some of the best times in my logging career . we had alot of fun with the big rigging crews on the towers . Heres a a song about Whistle Punk Pete on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoX7mGfSkE

  12. #12akroadrunner2011-04-05 14:24

    It's not a yarder, but I have a Train Horn on my KW T 800. I was hauling gravel near my pit a couple years ago. 3 or 4 young boys were out playing in their yard and would pump their arms when I went by, wanting the air horn. The last trip, I saw one of them down the road on the bike path. He pumped his arm. I decided to go with the Train Horn, and the standard KW horn BOTH. He loved it, but a girl riding her bike further up the road, ran right off the path and crashed her bike. She gave me a pitiful look as I went by, like 'why did you do that?' I'm careful now about where I use the Train Horn.

  13. #13trakloader2011-04-05 15:40

    How times have changed. You hardly hear whistle/horn signals now, even the loader operators have to blab on the radio and hear themselves talk, instead of using the horn. Even the trucks, they used to slow down and blow the horn at intersections, before coming down the hill to the 2 mile bridge, and as they entered camp. ALWAYS two blasts before backing up, and three before leaving the landing or shop. No you hardly hear a truck horn. The loader horns carry for miles. A loud WHOOOOOONK! almost like a train horn, but deeper. Of course, them stupid liquid loaders have a horn that matches their personality. A really irritating "BEEEP".

  14. #14akroadrunner2011-04-05 16:01

    Got to agree with the 'BEEP' on the juicers. I'm getting the end dump loaded on a job, and they want to let you know when you're loaded. Only way to hear them is if they are facing you and your window is down. Same thing with the 'horn' on front end loaders. Anemic!

  15. #15Kiwi Logger2011-04-05 17:42

    Hey I have a brand new whistle and a used one off our 046 in my garage but I guess New Zealand is a little too far away!!!!

  16. #16Scott S2011-04-05 20:39

    Yarder horn Try Acme on 42nd in Springfield, they have a few old yarders there they let you have one off of.

  17. #17HCF2011-11-18 22:23

    I know this thread is old. But, I ended up putting both a yarder whistle and train horns on my pickup. Here's a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqe309uTjio&feature=youtube_gdata_player

  18. #18Born2clearcut2011-11-18 23:06

    Thats great love the yarder whistle in the truck :cool2 .

  19. #19HCF2011-11-19 00:48

    Haha. Thanks. The train horns were a pain in the rump to mount on my pickup. New rig and four huge trumpets don't quite go together as far as space is concerned.