Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crusher questions

atgreene ยท 2009-08-15 08:45

I've been putting my "new to me" screen to work lately screening gravel. A friend of mine has let me move onto his property and start a small pit. The gravel there is broken ledge, loaded with iron (red everything). My little Takeuchi TB 135 will dig apart the ledge and it comes out in primarily 4" chunks, ideal for 4" minus gravel. I'm toying with the idea of eventually hiring in a crusher once I get a pile of screenings larger than 4". But also am toying with another idea as well. The guy that makes and sells E Z Screens is selling these imported crushers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180316918845&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Anyone own a small crusher? What should I look for? Years ago at the tail end of working for someone else I ran an ancient crusher, but never spent much time around it. I have the ability to build-up a "plant" myself, steel and welding is no issue. Obviously, the larger rock I'd just pile aside and hire out crushing, but to make a bunch of 3/4, 1-1/2" & 3" stone would be nice. Screening works good, but crushing would allow my business to expand further. This isn't anything I plan to do immediately, but my goal is to work in that direction. Also, if anyone comes across a small crusher or "chipmunk" I'd be interested. We'd like one to show at the fair with one of our one lung engines powering it.

Replies4
  1. #1speedy2009-08-15 19:59

    Find a Pioneer '9C' crusher. Then you'd have something worthwhile for small-scale production.

  2. #216tons2010-02-17 22:28

    Port crusher norberg is always a good crusher.4"minus 3/4"rock it well dothe job .i work at a grav pit and run eljay 54rc this thing can eat up vw wagun if needed but some thing your doing i'd go with a extech screen and norberg impact mill

  3. #3crisco62552013-02-10 16:28

    looking for pics of 1930's jaw crushers

  4. #4Coondog2013-02-13 21:17

    Jaw Crushers, as you have pictured are relatively simple, not a lot to go wrong with them. Oil bath bearings are more efficient than greased bearings. Make sure it is turning at least recommended rpm's. Running too slow will make crusher stop. Running to fast does not allow feed to fall when open side of cycle comes around on each revolution. If you have any round material make sure you put a guard over to top to deflect material. I have had rocks fly a very long ways on slow feed such as first starting up or shutting down, cleaning out the chamber. Feeding a jaw consistently is a big part of it running efficiently. Most I have seen have had some kind of variable speed feed equipment like an apron feeder or syntron or something. You want the feed level to stay below the barrel, the tube where the pitman shaft is. Having said all of that, I run two jaws 12 hours a day and I don't give them too much special attention. If a feeder is not in the budget, one can build a conveyor with a hopper on the entrance end with an adjustable opening to regulate the feedto the conveyor, set the exit end as close to the mouth of the jaw as possible and put deflectors around it all to keep fly rock from killing a family member. Before you buy, check maximum closed side settings, depending on the model, and how much throw the pitman has, you might not be able to get material as small as you want. Good luck.