I'm troubleshooting an electrical issue on my 2005 John Deere CT322. When I turn the key to start, the starter fuse blows. After isolating circuits, I found that the fuse only blows when the fuel shutoff solenoid is connected . Here’s what I’ve done so far: I tested the original solenoid and measured ~4,000 ohms between red and black wires , which seemed too high. I installed a new RE526570 solenoid , but it also blows a 10A fuse instantly when connected directly to 12V. Disconnecting the solenoid prevents the fuse from blowing. Resistance from the solenoid feed wire to ground is very high (no apparent short), and the ground wire reads 0 ohms to chassis . According to the wiring diagram, it looks like the solenoid is wired directly across the battery (no timer or module shown). Feeling stuck any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
The solenoid has to be adjusted on the linkage so it runs full travel. Or, it will blow the fuse.
Welcome to HEF Evan ! Machine serial number please. What diagram are you using? There is a relay between the battery and the fuel shutoff solenoid. Which specific fuse is blowing (F1)? There is no fuse listed as a "starter fuse". @Coaldust - FYI, there is no adjustment for the solenoid used on the Deere 4024/5030 engines.
Fuse F1 ("key switch and accessory") had been blowing, but after reassembling the loom, the machine started. Here's my current working theory in case the issue returns: The 12V supply wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid may be starting to fail possibly due to corrosion or internal breakage. The solenoid draws high current briefly during the pull-in phase before switching to a low-current hold state. If the wire has degraded and developed high resistance, it could be dropping voltage during startup. This would reduce the power reaching the solenoid, causing it to move more slowly or not fully engage. As a result, the solenoid may remain in the high-current pull state for too long, which could blow the fuse. For testing, the fuse also blew with a new solenoid outside the machine when directly powered so if the issue reappears, I may try holding the solenoid manually in the “hold” position during startup to see if that prevents overcurrent. I'll update this thread if the fault comes back and this theory proves correct.
That solenoid does not have a "pull in" circuit. It would have 3 wires if it had one. F1 fuse is supposed to be a 15 amp fuse for serial number 172788 and down, a 20 amp fuse for serial number 172789 and up. Put the proper fuse in and see if that resolves your issue.